Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? (29895 Views)

Why Do Nigerians See Relocating Back To The Village As Failure / Different Kinds Of Nigerian/African Fathers And Their Characters (Meme) / Kabiru Ishaq Sa'id Celebrates His 3 Wives, Gives Them Pet Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by eepeepook: 11:43am On Nov 28, 2023
Name: Mark Surname: John.

Name: Tony Middle name: Excel Surname: Livingston.

Name: Jennifer Surname: Confidence.

Seriously, where are they from? I remember we give names from our dialects. Some people have English names but only as first names or preferred ones. Their ‘native names’ dominate all of their official documents. In the given examples, those English names and surnames are their official ones.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by immortalcrown(m): 11:43am On Nov 28, 2023
Some are descendants of the colonial masters. Some were brainwashed by abusers of religion to believe their native names attract misfortunes. Only a very few of them actually have despicable native names.

118 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by advanceDNA: 11:47am On Nov 28, 2023
eepeepook:

Seriously, where are they from? I remember we give names from our dialects. Some people have English names but only as first names or preferred ones. Their ‘native names’ dominate all of their official documents. In the given examples, those English names and surnames are their official ones.

South south pple....
My bunkmate in school bears Daniel david

117 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by eepeepook: 11:50am On Nov 28, 2023
immortalcrown:
Some are descendants of the colonial masters. Some were brainwashed by abusers of religion to believe their native names attract misfortunes.
The first would make sense if they had Caucasian DNA. Unless they were made slaves of colonial masters at the time, I doubt it makes for an option of reasons. The second, I strongly believe. Anything white is seen as superior.

25 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by eepeepook: 11:51am On Nov 28, 2023
advanceDNA:

South south pple....
My bunkmate in school bears Daniel david
True. How can one pinpoint their area of origin using English names?

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Aboks(m): 11:54am On Nov 28, 2023
lol
u wan see names like

igboya eru jeje baby oku

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by eepeepook: 11:58am On Nov 28, 2023
Aboks:
lol

u wan see names like

igboya
eru jeje
baby oku
Yes. At least one will know their origin.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Mindlog: 11:59am On Nov 28, 2023
eepeepook:

Some who claim to be "born again" , wipe out native names.

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Resetinc: 12:00pm On Nov 28, 2023
Colo-Mentality

17 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by advanceDNA: 12:04pm On Nov 28, 2023
eepeepook:

U can't naaaaa....Hebrew or English names are not native Nigerians names....they are borrowed names .....their great-great grandfather's dropped their native name long time ago...

Although some Slavery-driven English names like savage, buknor, are known to some Lagos indigenes.......other than that,....u can't just know the origin of folks that their ancestors changed name for religious, fancy or personal reasons to English or Hebrew names if they don't tell you....

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by eepeepook: 12:04pm On Nov 28, 2023
Mindlog:

Such is why Africans will always remain behind the white man. Caucasians — if they bore native names — would wear them as a badge of honour. Sha, we still suffer the effects of colonization generations after the act. I won’t blame our people’s actions.

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by CoronaVirusPro: 12:06pm On Nov 28, 2023
Mindlog:

Same happens in the West! Most of the surnames starting with Ogun, Osu, Ifa, Odu e.t.c have been changed to Oluwa or Olorun.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Acidosis(m): 12:27pm On Nov 28, 2023
You want them to bear Ayo, Chinedu, and Adamu so you can use tribalism to finish their destiny?

If I have my way, I will avoid all native names from Nigeria's major tribes (Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa).

A Mark John is more likely to get a University admission from any Southwestern University than a Chinedu. A Jenifer Confidence is also more likely to get a job in Igboland than a Nurudeen Ayoola.

Y'all pathetic decendants of racists and losers will preach one thing and do another.

160 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Nebes: 12:43pm On Nov 28, 2023
With such a name you are from Akwaibom till proven otherwise.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by emmaodet: 2:27pm On Nov 28, 2023
Acidosis:
You want them to bear Ayo, Chinedu, and Adamu so you can use tribalism to finish their destiny?

If I have my way, I will avoid all native names from Nigeria's major tribes (Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa).

A Mark John is more likely to get a University admission from any Southwestern University than a Chinedu. A Jenifer Confidence is also more likely to get a job in Igboland than a Nurudeen Ayoola.

Y'all pathetic decendants of racists and losers will preach one thing and do another.

grin cheesy

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 2:56pm On Nov 28, 2023
My child must bear 1 tribal name.its very important.I already have the names sef.you cannot be answering name that doesnt identify you.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Fountainofyouth(f): 5:30pm On Nov 28, 2023
Acidosis:

Lmao valid points there, very valid and sensible, but then we have to promote our culture and tribes, part of which is our use of native names, I for one did not give my kids english names because to me, english names sound ridiculous, more like bland with no identity.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by eepeepook: 5:50pm On Nov 28, 2023
Fountainofyouth:

Lmao valid points there, very valid and sensible, but then we have to promote our culture and tribes, part of which is our use of native names, I for one did not give my kids english names because to me, english names sound ridiculous, more like bland with no identity.
It’s the same way their language sounds compared to ours, bland. Their food too, bland. Sha, the benefit of one being able to speak their language is the ease in using it to scam them. Most still see us as monkeys. Tricking them out of their hard-earned cash forces them to respect us as equals. One can go the legitimate route of excelling past them in workplaces. That doesn’t feel as satisfying.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Acidosis(m): 6:18pm On Nov 28, 2023
Fountainofyouth:

True, but I hope your kids can speak their native language, sha?

It's always delightful to meet a Chinedu or Emeka who speaks Yoruba fluently than an Ayomide struggling with Yoruba language.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by folake4u(f): 6:26pm On Nov 28, 2023
In all honesty, I prefer answering my native name. My English name na just formality. undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by folake4u(f): 6:28pm On Nov 28, 2023
Acidosis:

Valid points, Acid.

My father did something like this to me. lipsrsealed
People have to ask me twice my state of origin.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by PedoBear: 6:30pm On Nov 28, 2023
Abrahamic religion

My name's influential , my surname is Abacha and people keep asking me if I'm related to Sani Aba

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Acidosis(m): 6:32pm On Nov 28, 2023
folake4u:

Valid points, Acid.

My father did something like this to me. lipsrsealed
People have to ask me twice my state of origin.

This is exactly how I like it, my dear. I enjoy leaving people puzzled about matters of ethnicity.

16 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by PedoBear: 6:32pm On Nov 28, 2023
Acidosis:

Good name is better than riches

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by folake4u(f): 6:36pm On Nov 28, 2023
Acidosis:

This is exactly how I like it, my dear. I enjoy leaving people puzzled about matters of ethnicity.

Yeah, same.

I like it when they try to solve the puzzle.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by GloriousGbola: 6:42pm On Nov 28, 2023
folake4u:

Yeah, same.

I like it when they try to solve the puzzle.

People have always had issues figuring out my ethnicity.

I have been told I look Ibo or fulani. Def not yoruba

At multiple instances in the market traders have started speaking igbo to me in the heat of bargaining.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by mariahAngel(f): 6:52pm On Nov 28, 2023
eepeepook:

Majority of Nigerians do not.
Especially with the surname.

It is only common among the SS people.
Rivers and Bayelsa people to be exact.

As much as I know, majority of Igbos bear their native names.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by folake4u(f): 7:11pm On Nov 28, 2023
GloriousGbola:

People have always had issues figuring out my ethnicity.

I have been told I look Ibo or fulani. Def not yoruba

At multiple instances in the market traders have started speaking igbo to me in the heat of bargaining.

Lmao. I can totally relate. grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by CandidAdmin(m): 10:59pm On Nov 28, 2023
I think the govt need to enforce the use of native names as first names on birth certificate. Make it compulsory.

Mindlog:

Not possible. Parents have rights to preference of name(s).

In times like these, you just have to ignore what the citizens want. Else, these are the steps we'll keep taking until we lose our heritage.

Our major setback would be\ is tribalism.
Mindlog:

Government can not enforce it as it would be legally contested in court and government will certainly lose that case.... Nigeria is not North Korea. cheesy

You're right. Nigeria is Nigeria, where anything goes.

But why do you think they'll lose in court?

BTW, Another option is creating awareness.

All this is secondary.
Fighting tribalism is first thing to do.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Gerrard59(m): 4:27am On Nov 29, 2023
eepeepook:

Common among ethnic groups in the south south and Northern Christians.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Gerrard59(m): 4:29am On Nov 29, 2023
Nebes:
With such a name you are from Akwaibom till proven otherwise.

Bayeslans, those from the waterside of Rivers, Northern Christians before Akwa Ibomites. In fact, apart from the Efiks, other ethnic groups in Cross River before Akwa Ibom.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Gerrard59(m): 4:32am On Nov 29, 2023
Acidosis:

I tend to agree. In an increasingly nationalistic and tribalistic world, ethnic-neutral names would go a long way in career/educational pursuits.

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Husband Always Fills His Forms As Single, Help / My Mother-In-Law Calls Me By My Wife's Ex Boyfriend's Name / Farmer Who Welcomed Triplets In Benue And Left, Finally Returns. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.