Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,471 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Six New States For A New Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Six New States For A New Nigeria (10571 Views)

The List Of New States To Be Created In Nigeria Approved By The CONFAB / Is Vulcan Energy LLC Really Going To Build Six New Oil Refineries? / Six New States Coming Soon - National Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six New States For A New Nigeria by ITbomb(m): 8:29am On Oct 30, 2011
Assuming Sanusi is rite
Gowon finished the joke britain stated,
by creating 12 artificial states in an
artificial nation they called nigeria. The government with 36 states which
arose from equally artificial
considerations instead of from resource
oriented realities, have become
unmanageable as productive and
federating units. Federating unit means you give as well as take, not just
a resource sucker or parasite tethered
to the center by decree and corruption.
Assuming nigeria does not divide as
predicted: Most nigerians would not want a return
to 3 regions. But we identify with the
geo-political zones. So why not run
nigeria as six states, with 6 economies,
governments and federating states
with Abuja run as neutral metropolis funded from the contribution of the 6
states? Each state with its own police
administration and municipal
administration(aka local governments)
. One problem the suggestion for state
autonomy is facing is that most states are currently too small to run
autonomous, self supporting
economies, e.g. for state police, etc.
They don't have a sizeable economy to
financially support certain things
without FG intervention. So what makes them a state? But each of these six
states can have a large economy, easily: 1. Niger Delta State
2. Middle Belt state
( will exclude/include certain new
areas) 3. South-Eastern ( or Biafra ) state 4. South-Western ( or Oduduwa ) state 5. North-Western ( or Dan Fodio ) state 6. North-Eastern ( or Kanem Borno or
Boko Haram ) state That is how those we are copying [USA]
made sure the federating states can be
autonomous and viable, in a
voluntary union with a secession
clause. With this structure, the state
decides how many local governments ( better called municipal councils ) it
needs, then create and fund them itself
with tax-revenue.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by asha80(m): 8:32am On Oct 30, 2011
ITbomb:

Assuming Sanusi is rite
Gowon finished the joke britain stated,
by creating 12 artificial states in an
artificial nation they called nigeria
. The government with 36 states which
arose from equally artificial
considerations instead of from resource
oriented realities, have become
unmanageable as productive and
federating units. Federating unit means you give as well as take, not just
a resource sucker or parasite tethered
to the center by decree and corruption.
Assuming nigeria does not divide as
predicted: Most nigerians would not want a return
to 3 regions. But we identify with the
geo-political zones. So why not run
nigeria as six states, with 6 economies,
governments and federating states
with Abuja run as neutral metropolis funded from the contribution of the 6
states? Each state with its own police
administration and municipal
administration(aka local governments)
. One problem the suggestion for state
autonomy is facing is that most states are currently too small to run
autonomous, self supporting
economies, e.g. for state police, etc.
They don't have a sizeable economy to
financially support certain things
without FG intervention. So what makes them a state? But each of these six
states can have a large economy, easily: 1. Niger Delta State
2. Middle Belt state
( will exclude/include certain new
areas) 3. South-Eastern ( or Biafra ) state 4. South-Western ( or Oduduwa ) state 5. North-Western ( or Dan Fodio ) state 6. North-Eastern ( or Kanem Borno or
Boko Haram ) state That is how those we are copying [USA]
made sure the federating states can be
autonomous and viable, in a
voluntary union with a secession
clause. With this structure, the state
decides how many local governments ( better called municipal councils ) it
needs, then create and fund them itself
with tax-revenue.

classic
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by okoben: 8:39am On Oct 30, 2011
welcome development
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by marvix(m): 8:50am On Oct 30, 2011
This would make sense if we can push this through, maybe we jettison the idea of a SNC and call for a constitutional conference of stakeholders which would include youths from online foras to discuss modalities for this new state and system
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by udezue(m): 8:56am On Oct 30, 2011
6 regions na good idea.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Goddex: 9:33am On Oct 30, 2011
Your suggestion makes sense.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by kunlekunle: 9:54am On Oct 30, 2011
this is real OBJism
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by KnowAll(m): 10:03am On Oct 30, 2011
States makes sense, what we need is good managers. What we need to do is introduce compulsory House Assembly surgeries in every constituency where the people would tell their law men and women both in the states and Federal houses how they feel, drawing  the Governors and President attention to their plight and displeasure about the slow pace of election campaign promises.

We need to use the tools given and provided to us by the constitution adequately. Many at times house men and women and not seen until the next election cycle, consultation with constituents must be made mandatory at least once every forth-night.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 11:11am On Oct 30, 2011
Your idea is ideal for country like Nigeria. But pls change "Niger Delta" to "South south" because two ND states are also part of the south-east.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by edoyad(m): 11:22am On Oct 30, 2011
Absolutely fine to me
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by nduchucks: 11:59am On Oct 30, 2011
In order to implement what's being suggested here, we must first kill the 8,000 - 11,000  most powerful and richest Nigrians who hail from every part of th country and benefit from the status quo. They control every sector of the economy, government, and religious institutions and they will fight to their last drop of blood to ensure that the status quo remains.

If killing is too violent, what are your plans of getting rid of them?  olodo
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 30, 2011
^ what you are saying is that we need a revolution

It really is going to have to be the only way to affect positive change in Nigeria.

Change is upto the people as corrupt people cannot fight corruption.

Why is it that Nigerians do not appear to understand that simple fact?
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by kunlekunle: 3:01pm On Oct 30, 2011
modern democracy is an indirect form of corruption.
which is legal.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by PointB: 3:21pm On Oct 30, 2011
@Ndu_chuck
why must everything be about shedding blood? Why can't we just walk away from this contraption without shedding blood? Shedding blood will not solve any problem. Thats the truth.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Jaytee67(m): 3:27pm On Oct 30, 2011
This idea sounds good but it is like a dream because those who are controlling our resources will never allow such to see the light of the day.
I agree 100% that majority of the states under the present arrangement are not viable. They are political creations.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 30, 2011
I think the best solution is to make the six geo-political zones the federating units. They are not too small to be viable and not too big to do a Biafra.
And then ovehaul the constitution to ensure true federalism. Anything less is a waste of time.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by nduchucks: 4:16pm On Oct 30, 2011
PointB:

@Ndu_chuck
why must everything be about shedding blood? Why can't we just walk away from this contraption without shedding blood? Shedding blood will not solve any problem. Thats the truth.

Stop pretending to be a daft illiterate. The point I was making is that you cannot just walk away because the said "owners" of Nigeria will fight such a move. Go and reread my post olodo
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:21pm On Oct 30, 2011
PointB:

@Ndu_chuck
why must everything be about shedding blood? Why can't we just walk away from this contraption without shedding  blood? Shedding blood will not solve any problem. Thats the truth.

Ndu_chuck has a point. Do you think those that benefit from the status quo will fold their hands and watch their investment go down the drain? Why do you think Nigeria is the way it is. It's not because the people in power in every sector of the economy don't know what's good for the country. But when what's good for the country goes counter to what's good their pockets, then they'll be left with no option but to choose the latter. Only a miracle will make our present leaders accept that Nigeria is in crises and make attempt to restructure it.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by igbo2011(m): 4:29pm On Oct 30, 2011
We need to get of the internet and start going in person.  We need 10000 people on the street marching in ever state.  We need to have a plan for the new political structure. We need to have the government be responsible for the people.  They should not be paid as much as they are.  Anyone caught bribing or stealing will have ALL ASSETS STRIPPED AND SOLD TO THE GOVERNMENT!!

Let's get off nairaland and start protesting around the world.  All Nigerians around the world.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:33pm On Oct 30, 2011
igbo2011:

We need to get of the internet and start going in person.  We need 10000 people on the street marching in ever state.  We need to have a plan for the new political structure. We need to have the government be responsible for the people.  They should not be paid as much as they are.  Anyone caught bribing or stealing will have ALL ASSETS STRIPPED AND SOLD TO THE GOVERNMENT!!

Let's get off nairaland and start protesting around the world.  All Nigerians around the world.

I wish you had said this like 10 years ago. I would have considered joining the train. It's not possible now that on the verge of becoming a billonaire will i risk my life saving something that's almost un-redeemable. I wish you guys goodluck but my support shall be restricted to the internet.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 30, 2011
afam4eva:

I wish you had said this like 10 years ago. I would have considered joining the train. It's not possible now that on the verge of becoming a billonaire will i risk my life saving something that's almost un-redeemable. I wish you guys goodluck but my support shall be restricted to the internet.

There you go. Afam is now infected with the same disease that has destroyed the so called "men of the people" who later found themselves in government or in priviledged positions, greed and amnesia.
They get greedy and quickly forget where they came from.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by ITbomb(m): 4:44pm On Oct 30, 2011
Aigbofa:

I think the best solution is to make the six geo-political zones the federating units. They are not too small to be viable and not too big to do a Biafra.
And then ovehaul the constitution to ensure true federalism. Anything less is a waste of time.
Using the present zones will present a problem to the middle belt region who wishes break off from the northern interest and influence.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:47pm On Oct 30, 2011
ITbomb:

Using the present zones will present a problem to the middle belt region who wishes break off from the northern interest and influence.

The zones can always be restructured.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 30, 2011
afam4eva:

The zones can always be restructured.

That's right.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by kunlekunle: 5:01pm On Oct 30, 2011
we need more intellectuals on democracatic system of govt,
we need to educate ourselves on the system,
promote more debates and make information more available.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by PointB: 7:46pm On Oct 30, 2011
@Afam
when ndu_chucks confront you with his rag-tag army of almajiri to kill you because you are a billionaire do u think he will care to find out how u made your money? I advise you reflect careful before endorsing any blood suckers agenda.

@Ndu_chucks
indeed i might be daft and olodo, but i won't be participating in your blood letting agenda which will be another excuse to rob southerners especially igbos and yoruba of their legitimate possession in the name of fighting corruption. Who is going to compile the list of the people for summary execution? who will vet the list? And who is going to carry out this blood letting?

In any case, the revolution Nigeria needs is basically for your folks in the north to eradicate polio, reduce poverty and generally move up the human development index. This can only be achieved with serious attention to better education.

the memories of 1966-67,70 are still fresh. So if you want to pull the trigger you might as well pull it yourself and ensure your political and religious leaders are at the other end of the barrel. Down south savagery is not our core competence, my almajiri friend.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 11:22pm On Oct 30, 2011
lol.
@ndu_chucks, one of my good friends who boasted to know Nigeria inside out told me sometime ago that Nigeria will only get better when Northern officers in the army leads a truly national revolution. I disagreed with him then. I don't know if I still disagree. Maybe you may have some points. But my fear is that in the history of Nigeria, Northern army officers never led any truly national uprising. They only rose up to restore the evil status quo ante -Northern hegemony- at each turn. So, I wonder what you have to say about that.  undecided
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 11:25pm On Oct 30, 2011
@ndu_chucks,
So, can a Northern led coup for instance install an Igbo as president, like the Jan '66 coup plotters wanted to install Awolowo?
We know that the best Nigerian human resources are in the South.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Nobody: 11:49pm On Oct 30, 2011
why does anything come down to tribalism?

We need to change our thinking.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by ITbomb(m): 12:18am On Oct 31, 2011
now it doesn't really matter who is at the top, the institution of statehood has failed and the center can no longer hold , GEJ is sitting on a gunpowder
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Beaf: 12:22am On Oct 31, 2011
ndu_chucks:

In order to implement what's being suggested here, we must first kill the 8,000 - 11,000  most powerful and richest Nigrians who hail from every part of th country and benefit from the status quo. They control every sector of the economy, government, and religious institutions and they will fight to their last drop of blood to ensure that the status quo remains.

If killing is too violent, what are your plans of getting rid of them?  olodo

Olodo.

Will you kill Buhari? Do I hear you backpedalling faster than Usain Bolts World record? Lol!
Killing people will not work unless we identify them, more importantly; we would want to identify the reason for which you identified them. Zoning? Lolz!
Nobody wants a primitive mob of Jos style baby slaughtering quality let loose. So, please brother, take a step back from encouraging killing.

It is better for us on NL to work physically, outside of the web and face to face to bring massive pressure on the system. Build up a morally and intellectually led leadership that can demonstrate, protest and bring weight to bear in creative and highly targetted ways; most importantly, such a movement must have very clear goals and a very clear agenda that the man on the street can identify and bond with. There is no force more potent than organised people power.
Re: Six New States For A New Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 1:17am On Oct 31, 2011
In the other thread asking to summarize Nigeria's problem in one word, I said our problem is stupidity and I still stand on that. cool Here we are trying to approach our problem head-on, but some folks here can't stomach a simple fact that Nigeria may never have a great president owing to tribe. Yes! Learn to accept the bold truth. It is not fantasy. It has already happened for 40 years and counting. Some would rather that we never acknowledge that the problem exists.

I repeat, Nigeria's best human resources are in the Southern part of Nigeria. Even toddlers know this. There may be a time in the near future when Northerners may throw up equal numbers of such highly skilled and trained human resources. Now ain't it.

So Gen Buhari's son, learn to accept the uncomfortable truth! cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Shielding Akpabio From Prosecution For Corrupt Allegation ― Group / Matawalle: There Are 30,000 Armed Bandits Across The North / Most Corrupt of the 3 Arms of Government in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.