Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,048 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

Budget For VP's Residence Could've Paid 3,000 Profs - Peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Budget For VP's Residence Could've Paid 3,000 Profs - Peter Obi (193 Views)

Vp's Residence: Wike Satisfied With The Speed,quality Of Work (PHOTOS) / Shettima’s Aide, Stanley Nkwocha To Obi: ₦15bn For VP’s Residence Not Wasteful / Labour Strike: Presidency, NASS Meet At VP's Residence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Budget For VP's Residence Could've Paid 3,000 Profs - Peter Obi by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:29am On Dec 05, 2023
Tinubu Government Allocated Money That Can Pay 3000 Professors’ Annual Salaries To Renovate Vice President’s Residence – Peter Obi

Obi said this on Monday in a series of posts he made on his X (formerly Twitter), while reacting to the allocation of N15billion for the construction of a new residence for the Vice President by the President Tinubu’s government.

The presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, has said that the President Bola Tinubu-led Nigerian government has allocated an annual salary of about 3000 professors for construction and renovation of the Vice President, Kashim Shettima’s residence.

Obi said this on Monday in a series of posts he made on his X (formerly Twitter), while reacting to the allocation of N15billion for the construction of a new residence for the Vice President by the President Tinubu’s government.

The former Governor of Anambra State also recalled that in the 2023 Supplementary Budget, Tinubu allocated the sum of N2.5 billion for the renovation of the Vice President’s residence in Abuja, while another N3 billion was allocated for the renovation of the Vice President’s residence in Lagos.

According to Obi, the total amount of money already allocated for the Vice President’s residence is N20.5 billion, which he said is the annual salary of about 3000 professors, many of whom according to him in a Nigerian university earn about N400,000.

He wrote, “Even as I am still studying the 2024 fiscal budget as presented to the National Assembly last week, I cannot wait as I am compelled to ask: what is exactly wrong with us as a country?

“I ask this question because it is hard for me to understand some of the recent happenings in our nation, in these critical times. The recent news about a budget provision of N15 billion for the construction of a new residence for the Vice President is both shocking and disheartening, considering the many important challenges facing our nation.

“Just recently in the Supplementary Budget, the sum of N2.5billion was included for the renovation of the Vice President's residence in Abuja, which means that he already has a residence.

“Again, during the budget presentation, I heard the sum of N3 billion was allocated for the renovation of the Vice President's residence in Lagos. If we total all these sums, we would have budgeted the sum of N20.5 billion for the housing of the Vice President at this critical time when we are not just the world’s poverty capital, but more people are falling into poverty, with so many Nigerians not knowing where their next meal will come from.

“Our health facilities have collapsed, and unemployment is skyrocketing. I am convinced that 99.9% of Nigerians can only dream of living in the current residence of the Vice President.

“Several people employed in the universities are not being paid. Just to give an example, the salary of a professor in a Nigerian university is about N400,000, which without removing tax is about N5 million a year.

“What we have budgeted for the housing of the Vice President who is already luxuriously housed is, therefore, the annual salary of about 3000 professors! This is the finance needed to develop the much-needed human capital.

“The budget of N5 billion for student loans, which is yet to be disbursed, is only a tiny percentage of the cost of the Vice President’s new home. We are projecting to use four times the amount for educating ALL Nigerian indigent students to house the Vice President, and we are being told there is nothing wrong with us.

“I am sure the major teaching hospitals in Nsukka, Lagos, Ibadan, and Zaria did not receive this much capital vote in the budget this year. We have had leaders that were exemplary in the past.

“Most Nigerians may not know that the popular 1004 flats in Lagos, was a land allocated for the building of a Presidential Mansion for the then Head of State, General Murtala Mohammed.

“He sternly turned down the offer and instructed that the land should be used to build blocks of flats for civil servants. That is the kind of sacrificial leadership worth emulating. Our leaders must therefore stop the recklessness and insensitivity to the plight of the masses.

“We need leaders who show compassion and are willing to sacrifice for common progress and development. Such compassionate and frugal leaders are critical in our journey to the New Nigeria.”

https://saharareporters.com/2023/12/04/tinubu-government-allocated-money-can-pay-3000-professors-annual-salaries-renovate-vice
Re: Budget For VP's Residence Could've Paid 3,000 Profs - Peter Obi by crossfm: 5:09am On Dec 05, 2023
Hehehe.

They will attack him now, ignoring what he said.

They say Nigeria is broke,but they are on a spending spree. Budgeting billions for useless things.

Instead of investing the billions on health, educational,agriculture and security, which is the areas that needs urgent attention,they are buying cars and building houses which will benefit nobody in Nigeria.

The most annoying thing is that their paid supporters are on their way to come and defend them on empty stomach.

The government will tell the masses to be patient, while they gallivant everywhere with expensive trips, allocations and cars.

A broke county that is borrowing,is busy spending lavishly on frivolities. Shameless leaders.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Budget For VP's Residence Could've Paid 3,000 Profs - Peter Obi by tompat86(m): 5:11am On Dec 05, 2023
Our Government don kolo
Re: Budget For VP's Residence Could've Paid 3,000 Profs - Peter Obi by Oxb90: 5:13am On Dec 05, 2023
Does the former vice president not have a 'befitting' residence in Abuja and Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Budget For VP's Residence Could've Paid 3,000 Profs - Peter Obi by Codepain: 5:26am On Dec 05, 2023
Lol
Peter Obi is an hypocrite
The money the himself budgeted for his personal use as governor was more than the money he budgeted the entire state in Health and Education.
Igbo will be president one day. But I hope that day is greater than a million year
Re: Budget For VP's Residence Could've Paid 3,000 Profs - Peter Obi by Ekpeitut: 5:34am On Dec 05, 2023
This is the man Nigeria needs.

I mean it's crazy that the so called student loan is just N5bn while the same insensitive government budgeted over N15bn for the vice president's resident, clearly shows where their priorities are.

I mean are we just foolish with all the tribalism and useless politicking that we can't see how dangerously wasteful this government is with their myopic and misplaced priorities.

If you can spend that amount on a white elephant project then every Nigerian student should demand free education.

Arrrrrrrh. I dey vex!

For those who keep defending rubbish with all that's happening, don't worry it will reach everybody.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Budget For VP's Residence Could've Paid 3,000 Profs - Peter Obi by duduade: 5:40am On Dec 05, 2023
God will judge everyone... I mean every single person who in one way or the other participated in bringing APC into power.

Nigeria must happen to you

1 Like

Re: Budget For VP's Residence Could've Paid 3,000 Profs - Peter Obi by CandyOps(m): 5:47am On Dec 05, 2023
We are projecting to use 4x the amount for educating ALL Nigerian indigent students to house the Vice President

Take a moment and let the maths sink in....

1... 2... 3....

Okay...

That is, 4 times the amount budgeted for the whole Nigerian students for 1 person who already has a house?!

Agbadorians may have to take longer than 3 seconds to digest it because Agbado and Coke prolly done block the medulla by now. Gaddam!!!

If I say Nigeria no go ever better again some of una dey argue with me. I learnt this when I was 18 after seeking for admission for 3 years smashing Jamb with nothing less than 235 in each sitting and missing out on Med/Surg while having my mates from the North with as little as 150 jamb score get admitted into the same course.

Nigeria issa joke. But guess who the clowns are? The citizens who keep having hope in hope her 🤡

1 Like

Re: Budget For VP's Residence Could've Paid 3,000 Profs - Peter Obi by CandyOps(m): 5:48am On Dec 05, 2023
Codepain:
Lol
Peter Obi is an hypocrite
The money the himself budgeted for his personal use as governor was more than the money he budgeted the entire state in Health and Education.
Igbo will be president one day. But I hope that day is greater than a million year

That's not true!
Re: Budget For VP's Residence Could've Paid 3,000 Profs - Peter Obi by Mynd44: 5:48am On Dec 05, 2023

(1)

Renewed Hope Grant Brings Joy And Financial Relief To Thousands In Kogi State / Aso Villa’s Animals To Get N201 Million From Budget / Lagos ijebu ode,Ondo ,akure ,ado ekiti, Lokoja Abuja Highway is over due

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.