Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,074 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner (66792 Views)

"Abroad Life Is Not Easy" - Man Who Cleans Skyscraper Windows Says; Shares Video / From Bank Interview Shaming To American Company Job / Access Bank Manager Seizes A Staff’s Phone - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 3:58pm On Dec 16, 2023
Error401:
Assuming he is able to safe 1500 Pounds monthly, he has 2.2m monthly. I dont think any bank manager gets that a month

BS!

His standard of living has fallen off. He spends pounds in the UK, not in Nigeria. So why convert pounds to naira as if he is spending in naira?! The tale is false. But let's assume it is remotely true, the living standards of a bank manager in Nigeria is FAR HIGHER than a cleaner in the UK. For proper comparisons, you compare a cleaner in Nigeria to a cleaner in the UK. A bank manager in Nigeria to a bank manager in the UK.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Sofistcatdmoron: 3:58pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:
Just got word from a friend about someone who made the move from being a bank manager in Nigeria to working as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. 😕

Smart move or not?
So he will do that forever?, It's just temporary

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by LONEWOLFJOHN: 3:59pm On Dec 16, 2023
Moderator101:

Hmm, 🤔
It's a weird move to be honest.
Reminds me of the phrase get rich or die trying.
dollar is #1000, he's equipped and well trained, the job is secure, you never ask if the bank sack him before he moved, if he work as sky scraper for 10years. He can build mansion in Nigeria and invest very well. But bank manager with Tinubu in Nigeria? He can still die poor
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by coleon(m): 3:59pm On Dec 16, 2023
anonymous1759:
The motive is to make money not to answer boss on Empty stomach , a bank manager will answer Sir to a poo Parker In the UK when he comes to Nigeria with his heavy currency. Only fraudulent bank managers are rich .
Many of you just say rubish online out of ignorance. A manager in most new generation banks earn between 2-3m net in this Nigeria monthly, and you think that one is not ok by Nigerian standard.
Even if you make that amount monthly by doing menial jobs abroad,the bills you will pay will make you have nothing left.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by 1TrippleCee: 3:59pm On Dec 16, 2023
Theunbothered:

Meanwhile youth unemployment in Nigeria is over 40%, young people are depending on betting and hookup to survive.

Guy please. I'm laughing my head off. You're damn mean

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 4:00pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

You sound pained and frustrated.
Do you work in the bank?

I don't have to work in a bank to know your tale is mumbo-jumbo and false. No banker who got employed via graduate trainee recruitment gets to work in the UK as a cleaner. Unless village people, it is not possible!

It seems you are mistaking contract staff in the banks for actual bankers. Banking job is a good one if employed via the bank's standard graduate recruitment process.

3 Likes

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by harsysky(m): 4:00pm On Dec 16, 2023

I used to think most parents contributed to the problems of their children but in reality the child grows up, even after proper guidance, to like title instead of what comes onboard and puts good food on a table. A typical African likes to be called "Oga, Oga" just because he is made a boss where he takes home 80k while a bus driver takes home 300k every month through daily income.

That sky-scrapper cleaning man could be earning far more than he was earning here but you guys loved the fact that he wore suit and couldn't even contribute to the building project of their family house.

Hoo-haa, many Nigerians have poor mentality!

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by blaise26abj(m): 4:00pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:
Just got word from a friend about someone who made the move from being a bank manager in Nigeria to working as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. 😕

Smart move or not?

Depends on individual and circumstances . You can never say it a smart move or not unless you are him . Being a manager in a bank doesn’t mean he was fulfilled or satisfied . In the quest for fulfillment if he has to clean a skyscraper to get there I don’t see what the problem is .

If people want to Japa , let them . They are adults and they made their decisions either for good or for bad . At least they took a chance . How many chances and risks have you taken in life ? When those risks don’t pan out , don’t you just move on with your life ?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by FLYFIRE(m): 4:01pm On Dec 16, 2023
It will pay him more than five times his salary is here & he wont be watching over his shoulders to see if kidnappers are not trailing so what is your problem
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by santaclaws: 4:01pm On Dec 16, 2023
ednut1:
a skyscraper cleaner needs to have a technical background to operate those equipment. Fake story😆

Thanks for engaging your mind properly. Most stories like this are fabricated...
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by casualobserver: 4:02pm On Dec 16, 2023
Nazgul:
The question you should be asking is how much does a bank manager earn in Nigeria?

If you must know, no bank in Nigeria pays their branch managers up to N1m. On an average, they earn between 500-600k. (That's about $600 not pounds o)

A skyscraper window cleaner in the UK earns about £23,000. With that amount, you can live comfortably in the UK.

Aside the risks involved in the job, I won't say he made a bad choice.

The question you should ask yourself is what is left of the £23,000 after income tax, council tax, rent, transport, heating, phone etc. I promise you it is zero. In fact I promise you someone on £23k will soon start living off his credit card and eventually get into credit card debt. All that to be a cleaner with no career advancement. Or you will have to live such a frugal life that you would ask yourself everyday who sent you.

The reason why the 23k jobs are available to you the immigrant is 1) you are not a citizen. 2) a citizen would rather claim benefits (social welfare) have his house rent and council tax paid for him by the govt, sit at home all day than go to work just to earn 23k a year.

I should also add that bank manager is not a big job in the uk, you don’t need a degree to be a bank manager in the uk. It is only in Nigeria we elevate bank managers. A typical bank manager in the Uk has only “o” levels, left school and started work in the bank as a bank teller and worked his way up. In fact it was the same thing in Nigeria, many of the 1st generation bank managers, ceos did not go to universities but started their careers as bank clerks in the 1950s and 1960s. So if you think your career as a branch manager in Nigeria translates to much in the uk, it doesn’t. Except you have a particular banking skill/qualification like CFA, Acca etc. a bank manager is just an admin manager.

Let’s say you are in London, which is where the most skyscrapers are. You will spend at least £400 a month on food, minimum £150 a month on a travel card, more likely more because you cannot afford the rent closer to zone 1. Between phone, internet, tv subscription, water, heating, maybe another £300. We have not even mentioned rent and council tax. You will be lucky to get a one bedroom flat in London for less than £1000.

These are basic monthly expenses you cannot do without. You salary after tax cannot cover this. So you will have to cut costs, rent a room in a shared house, deny the basics you had in Nigeria and even then you will have no savings. I promise you, if you are not a citizen you will curse the day you took advise from people on Nairaland who have never seen an airport in their lives or the day you converted £ to Naira and thought £23k is a lot of money in the uk. Soon enough you will realize you need 2 jobs just to survive and maybe you should have taken better advantage of the bank manager job you had in Nigeria.

£23k is a lot of money for someone living in Nigeria, for someone living in the Uk it is poverty level, which is why citizens would rather claim benefits and not work, than work for £23k. This is why they need foreigners to do those jobs. £23k is actually minimum wage in the Uk. Those who set minimum wage know why they set minimum wage at the level they do. There is no country in the world where anyone is comfortable or has any savings on minimum wage. If you think you are suffering as a bank manager in Nigeria on 500k a month when the minimum wage here is 30k, wait till you earn minimum wage in the UK and understand real suffering. Yes you will have light, you will have water (so long as you can pay for them) but your soul will not know peace.

Below is what a citizen gets for not working in the UK. Let us not forget someone on welfare is the lowest rung on the ladder. Yet he will be better off than you on £23k a year without going to work and you sit there converting. Naira to pounds thinking 23k is big money? He doesn’t pay tax, you will pay tax on your 23k.

8 Likes

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Ayodeoba: 4:02pm On Dec 16, 2023
LooneyLester:
At least he falls sick he'll get a benefitting health care
and who told you he isn’t benefiting from health care which banks register under HMO
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Jewessgratitud3: 4:02pm On Dec 16, 2023
Omoawoke2:

How much does an employed person earn in Nigeria?

Let’s say 500k per month, that’s less than 500 dollars.

I’d convert to dollars because most things we buy in Nigeria are imported, phones, cars, clothes etc.

These are things you can easily afford outside the country without sweat. Minimum wage can feed you, pay your rent and still have small change to afford things considered luxury in Nigeria

Now what if you are earning far above minimum wage outside the country. It’s not necessary breaking it down for you but the gap is incomparable. There are many professionals that left and are doing professional jobs outside the country and yes, they are balling big time. Peoples mates are buying Tesla, while someone in Nigeria is earning 500 or 1k dollars per month in Nigeria. When will the person ever afford simple luxury.
Students work during summer outside the country and earn what they haven’t earn working professionally in 10 years in Nigeria.
Think about it

I'm not arguing that they earn more over there but also consider the cost of living abroad which is higher than naijas. what I'm saying is they should learn to close their mouth and do whatever their hands find to do when they get there.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Xtraterestial: 4:02pm On Dec 16, 2023
They don't give visas like redeem church crusade flyers. Besides, Most ppl who fade are just tourist visa, which you can't work with...alot still go by road.you can't just go and start work...alot still misunderstood about japa...mostly folklore.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by finallybusy: 4:02pm On Dec 16, 2023
It’s a smart move. Let me give you examples.

1. A friend japa’d to England. For the six months he was unemployed and searching, he indulged in yahoo yahoo because he learned the skill back home. He was never caught and got a job working in a bank.

2. A friend japa’d to the US. He didn’t care to use his bachelors to get a job. He did certification courses back home before traveling. He never waited for a job. He’s a network technician as I type.

3. A friend japa’d to Canada. He picked rubbish off the street for a living before getting a bank job after a few months. His story made it to Nairaland and children here were tapping from his blessings as usual.

4. Many get to the new country and indulge in Uber, cleaning jobs, and other menial activities before gaining proper employment.

The guy in this story is doing the job for the meantime. When he gets proper employment, the same idiots typing rubbish now will tap from his blessings. I sabi una way.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by VULCAN(m): 4:03pm On Dec 16, 2023
This is always the solace of those who have been refused visa

Available9:

And what will become of him at 60 years over there ? Hahahahah...he will be thinking of coming back home and by that time his colleagues who retired well as bankers in Nigeria would have left him far behind in life
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by studycenter: 4:04pm On Dec 16, 2023
He might be earning more now regardless
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by sonofElElyon: 4:04pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

Smart move or not?

My prayer for him is greater heights grin
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Available9: 4:05pm On Dec 16, 2023
Error401:
And he would have an average of 20m per annum after tax, he would be 100m richer in 5 years

You didn't tell me one can pick money on the streets of UK and US
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Available9: 4:05pm On Dec 16, 2023
observanc1:
u think he clean skycrappers till he's 60? Once he studies in UK and gets UK certificate, he will get a better job

Which certificate and which job at that age ? Most people Japa because they want a better future for their children...not really for themselves
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Winnin009: 4:05pm On Dec 16, 2023
ehissi:

I promise you, they are not considered as skilled workers and aren't paid as much.

Some care workers make way more than that.

Note, that figure stated is annual salary.

He was probably better off collecting #350,000 - #500,000 as a Branch manager than running overseas, except he has a plan to upgrade his qualifications and get better jobs offers, he isn't living his best life at the moment

How is making 23k pounds a year worse than making 500k a month? You do know that one translates to over 20m Naira annually while the other is 6m annually. Lol.

Please, kindly tell us how it’s better? Ohhhh because he’s inside AC and a bunch of loser bankers call him sir?! He should forgo 14m and access to the best facilities life has to offer because of what? Your ego?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by gigabyte13: 4:06pm On Dec 16, 2023
Make l first laugh
😅😅🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
😅😅🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😅
🤣🤣😅😅😅😅😅😅
So na skyscraper you dey clean not even two storey buildings.
That thing wey you dey find
You don finally see am
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Omobude244: 4:07pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

Smart move or not?
the one wey move from cleaner here to bank manager there, we nor dey read the story
na always the negative ones
one thing is sure, out of 10people traveling to abroad, 8 always makes it
so leave all these discouragement post
if u have the means, run faster. Nigeria will always get worse. our politicians are wicked and the followers are even worst
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by BigDawsNet: 4:07pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

Smart move or not?

Makes around 23k yearly... not smart move for man of his calibre

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by observanc1: 4:08pm On Dec 16, 2023
Available9:

Which certificate and which job ?
certificates plenty for UK and so are jobs
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Omoawoke2(m): 4:08pm On Dec 16, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

I'm not arguing that they earn more over there but also consider the cost of living abroad which is higher than naijas. what I'm saying is they should learn to close their mouth and do whatever their hands find to do when they get there.

Cost of living is high, standard of living is higher and you are earning higher as well.
Check how much on the average advanced degree holders earn in the advanced countries.
Now someone is earning 1 million every month in Nigeria. Most Nigerians doing white collar jobs earn between 200k to 600k, how much can the person save from it? The person may barely safe 2 million naira at the end of e year which is 2k dollars

Now someone finished advanced degree in the US and gets a job of like 90k per annum. Lets assume tax reduce the money to 70k, that’s like 6k per month.
Then he pays expensive rent of 2k, plus other expenses, maybe he’s left with 2k net.
The person can still save at least 10k dollars at the end of the year no matter how terrible his expenses is.
Now people earn more than that, save more than that and that’s why someone can come to Nigeria and buy expensive properties and cars

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by zoedew: 4:09pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

Smart move or not?
Quite stupid a thing to do! Career projection should be a major consideration.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Subonbon(m): 4:09pm On Dec 16, 2023
papyjaypaul:

That's one of the top paying jobs abroad because of the safety risk. To clean window no be small and if it makes you happy, good. Nigeria should let people be paid for their skills so unemployment can reduce. I wish Seun pays jobless people here to help the economy.

To those who always judge japa, many of you suffer from low self esteem. The land is green where you water the grass. If Naija bad for your eye, everything you do go bad, u no go see good thing there. Focus on your life wherever you are and stop wasting your time worrying about others.
you too know book whalai!!
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by planetx: 4:09pm On Dec 16, 2023
The mistake people keep making is doing exchange rate of $€£ to N, it doesn't work that way. The cost of living in countries like the UK or Canada is extremely high and you can't save anything from what is basically a minimum wage job. If you got a good well paying professional job, and trust me MOST Nigerians abroad are not doing well paying professional jobs no matter what lies you have been told, then you have hit the jackpot and you can save and invest. But not on a minimum wage factory or care job because cost of living will eat up your minimum wage job salary so fast your head will be spinning.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Babangidapikin: 4:09pm On Dec 16, 2023
If he is happy as a Cleaner and he is having more savings ..but the job is risky .. Someone like me won't do it for a million dollars because my balls starts shaking when it comes to that kind of height ..
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Available9: 4:10pm On Dec 16, 2023
observanc1:
certificates plenty for UK and so are jobs

Can you mention 10 Nigerians who are in their 60s, who are currently in UK and also rich ?

Oga individually, there is no future for Japa... people do it for the sake of their children... waiting 4p years old man they go do for abroad when you ate not a specialist
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by ud4u: 4:10pm On Dec 16, 2023
I no fit laugh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Top 10 Richest Lawyers In Nigeria 2017 - Law Repository Nigeria / From Truck Pusher To Sex Worker - Lady Celebrates Her 1 Year Achievement / Salary Package For Nigerian Navy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.