Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,434 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner (66778 Views)

"Abroad Life Is Not Easy" - Man Who Cleans Skyscraper Windows Says; Shares Video / From Bank Interview Shaming To American Company Job / Access Bank Manager Seizes A Staff’s Phone - Twitter User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Iamzik: 4:40pm On Dec 16, 2023
emperor4love:
even if na shit he de pack,compare how much he makes over there,this people earn nothing less that 2kdolls or more,now expenses d tax might be 1.2k or 1.3k dolls if living single, now who save 700 dolls monthly will he b able to save that as a bank manager in Nigeria, 700 almost 1.somtin Milla fr naija...Nigeria are judgemental but don't check de benefits or such look down jobs in abroad...if na shit as long money involved do it

You see the problem with this your mentality is that you are always converting dollar/pounds to naira in your head.

My simple question: do you pay your bills in naira or dollars?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by donhils: 4:41pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:
Just got word from a friend about someone who made the move from being a bank manager in Nigeria to working as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. 😕

Smart move or not?
How's that possible? For him to be a Bank Manager means he's a graduate right? Why didn't he travel through school means? That way he won't have to do such weird job over there
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Kaysalas(m): 4:42pm On Dec 16, 2023
oxygeng:

move higher, do you mean he will move from sky scrappers to orbital rings or cleaning international space station windows?
You are not nice grin
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Mcslize: 4:43pm On Dec 16, 2023
Adakintroy:
When black man think of the west they think of joining the white man on the throne immediately Were as the reality is that you go straight down to the the base in line with intellectual/ financial pecking order.

You were the smartest man in your village maybe. But here in the city, you just another village man.

This is one aspect they will never think about. They just expect those that travel to start doing top office jobs and the rest.

There is always a process for everything. The person already have a road map on how to get his desired job. Whatever he is doing is just temporary. This is the aspect majority of those that fight against relocating abroad will not always think about.

In a new land, one needs to craft a well laid out plan to get that dream job. Whatever he does is just to get by. Along the line, he will surely get his dream job.

All anti- japa folks should know life is a gradual process.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 4:43pm On Dec 16, 2023
Error401:
Do you know how much it costs to run an MBA in London? MBA tuition for most schools in London is not less than 30K GBP. Thats about 45 million Naira only in tuition.
Are you saying that because you earn in Naira, spend in Naira, you do not save in Naira? People who relocated to these countries dont do so permanently.
Most Immigrants do not have the best standard of living, they do not relocate to the UK to live like Dangote. Most people relocate to have a better purchasing power back home. Most of the investments in nigeria are owned by Nigerians in Diaspora, does it mean they live the best life wherever they are?
Again, no matter where you live as an immigrant, your investments are in Naira else you promised yourself not to return home

Please let's focus on the main post: a so-called bank manager is working as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK

You alluded that because a cleaner can save 20 million while working in the UK, then he is better off than a bank manager in Nigeria. I said that is false as you are comparing a bank manager in Nigeria to a cleaner in the UK. That is not the appropriate way to compare. Should the bank manager want to relocate to the same UK, he would aim to be at the same position as he was in Nigeria. Getting an MBA is one way, and he would aim at the top ones. Remember he was a bank manager in Nigeria. LBS is the number one MBA school in the UK.

I maintain my stance that judging using PPP metric, a bank manager in Nigeria lives a better life than a cleaner in the UK. I would not even compare them as it does not make sense. I compare like for like: bank manager in Nigeria to bank manager in the UK.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by wrongnumber: 4:45pm On Dec 16, 2023
LooneyLester:
At least he falls sick he'll get a benefitting health care

God bless you for this.

I know a friend who gets free treatment for a serious medical condition that would cost him 700k monthly in Nigeria.

BTW, this guy won't remain a sky scraper cleaner for life. It's just a starting point.

I know many guys who came to the UK, got jobs as cleaners but today they are doctors in same UK.

It is only reasonable to work your way up in a new environment.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by IbeOkehie: 4:45pm On Dec 16, 2023
Gerrard59:

BS!

His standard of living has fallen off. He spends pounds in the UK, not in Nigeria. So why convert pounds to naira as if he is spending in naira?! The tale is false. But let's assume it is remotely true, the living standards of a bank manager is FAR HIGHER than a cleaner in the UK. For proper comparisons, you compare a cleaner in Nigeria to a cleaner in the UK. A bank manager in Nigeria to a bank in the UK.

I'm only here because of you. And I totally disagree with your comment.

Even as a restaurant cook in the USA, I enjoyed a higher standard of living than a Nigerian bank manager of with say, 2 or 3 years in that job. I know because I knew a couple of branch managers in Aba and Owerri and another good friend while not a branch manager is almost there after 15 years experience.

Today nko? With the massive inflation and general anomie in Nigeria, even nyash cleaner in USA here lives better than a bank manager in Nigeria.

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/posting/high-rise-window-cleaner-salary/nc#:~:text=How%20much%20does%20a%20High,falls%20between%20%2439%2C082%20and%20%2456%2C751.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Iamzik: 4:45pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

You sound pained and frustrated.
Do you work in the bank?

No he doesn't sound pained.

What I see is most people talking down on banking just to rationalize the cleaner job in the name of "he now earns better" which is laughable.

It shows that you know nothing about banking.

No manager in Nigeria will willingly resign to go clean skyscraper abroad. If you doubt me do your own research
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by TheNewAgeFarmer(m): 4:46pm On Dec 16, 2023
When you hear from a friend, just know it’s a BIG LIE😂

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Ofadaman(m): 4:47pm On Dec 16, 2023
Does News like this make you happy,
does it add meaning to all your wrong life choices ,
Does it make you feel not so much of a failure ?
Does it form the basis for your reason to not japa or a good argument against those you envy who have relocated.

Truth is, what many of you suffer from is confirmation bias, you want to see them fail so badly that you look out for stories like these to help support your argument, and make you feel better about your life.

But did you count the 1000s of others doing much more better than they were in Nigeria, you left the 95% who are having a better life and focused on the 5% that are struggling , to add a thing or two to this, most workers earn more over there, a bank manager may earn at most 750k -1m, with this sky scrapper job be may be going home with as much as 5-6k pounds per month
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by correctguy101(m): 4:49pm On Dec 16, 2023
papyjaypaul:

That's one of the top paying jobs abroad because of the safety risk. To clean window no be small and if it makes you happy, good. Nigeria should let people be paid for their skills so unemployment can reduce. I wish Seun pays jobless people here to help the economy.

To those who always judge japa, many of you suffer from low self esteem. The land is green where you water the grass. If Naija bad for your eye, everything you do go bad, u no go see good thing there. Focus on your life wherever you are and stop wasting your time worrying about others.

Keep wishing..

Seun will be like: "Shey this baba dey whyne me ni?" undecided
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by okito: 4:49pm On Dec 16, 2023
Coming from a man who left a comfortable oil and gas job and wife with a decent bank job in Nigeria and relocated to North America 5 yrs ago, I can say it makes perfect sense.

However, decision to japa is a personal one and people should not be castigated for it. I can tell you that at least half of the people criticizing are actually planning their japa moves, only it has not materialized, I know them.

I don't want to begin to cast aspersions at Nigeria because really I never had a single bad experience in all my years in the country. I had great fun in every area of life despite that I am grateful I reluctantly followed my wife to leave when we left.

As for me, Nigeria will be great again and I plan to return to live the rest of my life there and that's why I haven't stopped investing in the country even though some advise against it

So, my advice: if you feel the need to japa and you are convinced, go for it because out here if you are skilled, you will eventually succeed. If you are not skilled but hardworking and can do any legitimate job, you will also succeed.

You don't want to know the number of people who never owned a plot of land before leaving Nigeria and after 5 years out here, own their own house here on mortgage ofcourse and have also sent money home to buy an apartment in Nigeria.

There are also people who live in Oshogbo, Ilorin, Yenagoa etc not even Lagos or Abuja, but they're blessed and sending dollars to train their children abroad.

Bottom line, you can be blessed anywhere. Just identify where works for you and go for it and like Ashake, cut off your ears!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by erico2k2(m): 4:49pm On Dec 16, 2023
Iamzik:

HMO is is dead? Lmao grin grin grin

Just say you don't have access to it
ofcos I do not, I have the NHS .SO I asked you a simple question you failing to ask, do you work as a civil servant or in the public SECTOR?
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by bolabizzle(m): 4:49pm On Dec 16, 2023
Iamzik:

No he doesn't sound pained.

What I see is most people talking down on banking just to rationalize the cleaner job in the name of "he now earns better" which is laughable.

It shows that you know nothing about banking.

No manager in Nigeria will willingly resign to go clean skyscraper abroad. If you doubt me do your own research

Are you a banker?
Have you ever been a manager to a bank in your entire existence here on planet earth?
Are you psychic?
Do you read people's minds, face what they face and feel what they feel?

If the answer to all question above is no, then please by all means get lost.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by chukkystar(m): 4:50pm On Dec 16, 2023
SensualMan:
Funny how 80% of those Japaa'ing as u guys term it in Nigeria are all yoruba people grin

On the other hand, this Bola mandate seems to be favouring the Igbos and every Igbo man is cashing out, spending money like water in the Bola Administration.

My question is: Does it mean this Administration is not favouring the yoruba clownish tribe?

Has Bola turned his back on his people?

How come the people that were supposed to be taught severe lessons are the head teachers now?

Questions wey no geti answer.
Cashout Wetin. The administration dey deal with everybody no Tribalism or sentiments here. Even if na Business U dey do, U still need dem to pay people Salary B4 dem buy Ur goods. The price of goods sef come triple so feeding 3 square meal also turn to another thing..
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Iamzik: 4:50pm On Dec 16, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Even as a restaurant cook in the USA, I enjoyed a higher standard of living than a Nigerian bank manager of with say, 2 or 3 years in that job. I know because I knew a couple of branch managers in Aba and Owerri and another good friend while not a branch manager is almost there after 15 years experience.

Today nko? With the massive inflation and general anomie, even nyash cleaner in USA here lives better than a bank manager in Nigeria.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

In Nigeria banks, you have "Branch Manager" as job designation- meaning the administrative head of a branch

Then you have "Manager" as a grade with its perks and packages.

Note that you can become a branch manager even before you attain the manager grade. So this your Aba/Owerri branch manager, what is his banking grade?

I just want to be sure that you understand the difference cos it's obvious that people in the comment section do not understand shit about banking at all
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Litmus: 4:50pm On Dec 16, 2023
Blame opposition politics. In addition to the general brainwashing inflicted by the West on the worldwide black race, Nigeria's immoral and deviant Opposition Politics Culture has further brainwashed many Nigerians.

Right now there'll be many happy to tell you that sweeping the streets of some crappy Western city is better than anything Nigeria can offer. Yet, there was a time Nigerian men would literally choose death in the name of honour. What's yours was yours. You'll not in the name of glitter or money disown what is yours! If meant I’ll starve or go out in rags, so be it, you'll not make me grovel! Now Nigerian men will gladly turn around and spread the asscheek for a shafting from Abroad! South Africa, India, England, Afghanistan it matters not. Opposition politics is the difference. It has made Nigerians tolerate every kind of indignity - all in the name of so it can be said that "It is the fault of the government"
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by sslcrypt: 4:51pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:
Just got word from a friend about someone who made the move from being a bank manager in Nigeria to working as a skyscraper cleaner in the UK. 😕

Smart move or not?

Busy body, mind your fcking business. Shameful and disgraceful of you. Why poke your nose in another's man matter. Mind your business and cater for your family. Useless amebo.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by blazesam(m): 4:52pm On Dec 16, 2023
One week pay is what he could likely not earn in Nigeria as a bank manager for a whole month or two
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Smartguyboy(m): 4:52pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

Smart move or not?

My only question is why waste so much time going to schools when you can just travel and do a minor job??

That how one professor quit his job to be doing porter job in Germany and said his happy 😊 . Why waste so many years to end up as a porter ?

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Dialpad: 4:53pm On Dec 16, 2023
You are kidding .... I have seen a naija doctor working in a call center.....

Over 20 yrs ago....

santaclaws:

I doubt the authenticity of that story. Most of these stories are fabricated. A former bank manager in Nigeria can easily get a management or accounting job anywhere in the world.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Pootle: 4:55pm On Dec 16, 2023
flokii:
His life, his headache... he wanted to be seeing snow and be forming fake accent like Oyibos.

Let him enjoy his cleaning job overseas.

grin grin mad o, you a wicked man cant stop laughing
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Iamzik: 4:56pm On Dec 16, 2023
bolabizzle:

Are you a banker?
Have you ever been a manager to a bank in your entire existence here on planet earth?
Are you psychic?
Do you read people's minds, face what they face and feel what they feel?

If the answer to all question above is no, then please by all means get lost.

No be fight abeg

I maintain what I said. If you don't agree go do your findings. An entry level staff can be made a "branch manager" depending on the location but "Bank Manager" is a grade and I maintain that people in MANAGER GRADE in Nigeria banks earn far far more than whatever this your skyscraper will earn. It's not even comparable in terms of pay, perks,. Prestige etc

I'm telling you what I know but you are free to disagree. It's a free world yo!

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by yewit37486: 4:56pm On Dec 16, 2023
papyjaypaul:

That's one of the top paying jobs abroad because of the safety risk. To clean window no be small and if it makes you happy, good. Nigeria should let people be paid for their skills so unemployment can reduce. I wish Seun pays jobless people here to help the economy.

To those who always judge japa, many of you suffer from low self esteem. The land is green where you water the grass. If Naija bad for your eye, everything you do go bad, u no go see good thing there. Focus on your life wherever you are and stop wasting your time worrying about others.

Exactly.
OP is just a petty gossip, cos I can bet the person concerned didn't complain to him.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Rilwayne001: 4:56pm On Dec 16, 2023
santaclaws:

I doubt the authenticity of that story. Most of these stories are fabricated. A former bank manager in Nigeria can easily get a management or accounting job anywhere in the world.

This isn't true lol.

Spoke with one of our clients this week and when I billed him for his company, he kept lamenting that the bill is too much considering that he's a chatered accountant himself and a banker before leaving for the UK. He said he's doing the care work to keep body together.

I know quite well that white collar job isn't easily available and bills will be piling they have no option than to take whatever comes.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Iamzik: 4:57pm On Dec 16, 2023
blazesam:
One week pay is what he could likely not earn in Nigeria as a bank manager for a whole month or two

I laugh when I read comments like this 🤣🤣🤣
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Mexyz(m): 4:58pm On Dec 16, 2023
Nazgul:
The question you should be asking is how much does a bank manager earn in Nigeria?

If you must know, no bank in Nigeria pays their branch managers up to N1m. On an average, they earn between 500-600k. (That's about $600 not pounds o)

A skyscraper window cleaner in the UK earns about £23,000. With that amount, you can live comfortably in the UK.

Aside the risks involved in the job, I won't say he made a bad choice.
Why do you guys just talk out of ignorance?
Go make your research how much a BO earn in a top Nigerian bank and come back here and clean this rubbish you wrote.

1 Like

Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by maasoap(m): 4:58pm On Dec 16, 2023
LooneyLester:
At least he falls sick he'll get a benefitting health care
grin grin grin You meant if he falls down.
In fact, due to the job he's doing, he will need health and life insurance for himself and his family respectively in case
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Cmanforall: 4:58pm On Dec 16, 2023
muykem:
Bank managers are enjoying all that in Nigeria. Most of them send their children to the best schools in the world.

Even kidnapping?

Anyways, you said bank managers , but the man in this post was a banker.
It will be rare to find a bank manager japa to go do cleaning abroad. They rather go for vacations or even enter politics just like Otti and Obiano
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by Gerrard59(m): 5:00pm On Dec 16, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Today nko? With the massive inflation and general anomie in Nigeria, even nyash cleaner in USA here lives better than a bank manager in Nigeria.

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/posting/high-rise-window-cleaner-salary/nc#:~:text=How%20much%20does%20a%20High,falls%20between%20%2439%2C082%20and%20%2456%2C751.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

You are judging income from a nominal GDP perspective. I am doing so from PPP. The Nigerian banker has a higher standard of living than a cleaner in the US. A standard career with benefits. This is why, should he want to relocate/migrate, he aims to replicate the same role/industry in the US as in Nigeria. Just because someone earns dollars in the US does not automatically make the person better than another in Nigeria. What do they do for a living? A McKinsey consultant in the US has a higher standard of living than a counterpart in Nigeria. What you try to imply is that a cleaner in the US has a higher living standard than a McKinsey consultant in Nigeria. I would not accept that one o. It does not follow at all.

Cleaner to cleaner
Banker to banker
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by maasoap(m): 5:01pm On Dec 16, 2023
GboyegaD:
I am amused when I read such threads as this. When will we learn to mind our business?

A grown up makes his choice and lives by it
and we in our usual sanctimonious stance tries to pass judgment. Truth is I see these kind of post as being envious of the other person.
The best way to learn from experience is when you learn from others experience.
Re: Japa: From Bank Manager To Skyscraper Cleaner by FireUpNow(m): 5:02pm On Dec 16, 2023
oxygeng:

move higher, do you mean he will move from sky scrappers to orbital rings or cleaning international space station windows?

You got the wrong idea about what I am trying to say. I mean. He will move higher his roadmap because a bank manager is not stupid for taking the job of a skyscraper cleaner. He is an educated man and he knows what he is doing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

Top 10 Richest Lawyers In Nigeria 2017 - Law Repository Nigeria / From Truck Pusher To Sex Worker - Lady Celebrates Her 1 Year Achievement / Salary Package For Nigerian Navy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.