Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' (3739 Views)

Enugu Is One Of The Poorest States In Nigeria. / President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable / Enugu Is Flooded (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Chyz2: 4:01am On Nov 02, 2011
[size=15pt]Enugu not bankrupt: An open letter to Senator Adetumbi[/size]

On November 1, 2011 · In Viewpoint

RECENTLY, Senator Olubunmi Adetunmbi, ACN, Ekiti North, made a baseless statement concerning Enugu State in the Senate. He claimed that Enugu State is in a financially critical state and that she is facing bankruptcy.

He did not state the basis of his assertion and offered no extraneous proof. He did not explain whatever informed the, but simply tossed out such a weighty statement. The senator is wrong and we believe that a retraction and an apology from him would be in order.

Does the senator know that since May 2007, Enugu State has paid salaries on time, every month, without fail? Does he know that Enugu State, without borrowing,has paid October, 2011 salaries even when the federal allocation for the month of October 2011 has not

been shared, even before the ‘healthy states?’

Does he know that this is not the first time such has happened and that Enugu State does in fact pay monthly salaries, on time, every month, whether monthly allocations have been shared for the month or not? Does the senator know that Enugu State is not owing a single contractor despite the massive infrastructural projects that Governor Sullivan Chime has embarked upon since 2007? Does he know that Enugu State was the first state to pay the minimum wage in the South East, and was perhaps one of the first two or three in the whole country to first pay the minimum wage?

Minimum

wage arrears

Does he know that Enugu State was buoyant enough not only to pay the minimum wage but to also to clear the minimum wage arrears beginning April, 2011?

Does the senator know that unlike some other states, Enugu State has not rushed to the capital market to raise long-term bonds to finance the numerous infrastructural developmental projects that Governor Chime has embarked upon since 2007. The senator and I know that bonds are debt, and that the proceeds from such bonds, if misused, could spell future financial doom for the states in question.

Thus states such as Lagos (N15bn) in 2002, Lagos (series 1-N50bn), Lagos (series II-N57.5bn), Imo (N18.5bn), Kwara (N17bn), Niger (N6bn), Bayelsa (N50bn), Kaduna (N8.5bn), Ebonyi (N16.5bn), Ogun (N50bn), Delta (N5bn) in 2007), Kebbi (N3.5bn) in 2006, and Yobe (N2.5bn) in 2002 are in a comparatively more precarious situation than Enugu State.

Again, the senator should know that Enugu State did not rush to the capital markets to raise bonds/ borrow and perhaps mortgage her financial future. Instead Governor Chime has used a sound and uncanny fiscal sense to manage the little allocation/IGR that Enugu State gets every month.

Does it not amaze the senator how Governor Chime has achieved so muchwith so little?

Does he know that since May 2007, Enugu State has religiously paid up her counterpart contributions for almost all of her syndicated-funding projects? Does he know that Enugu State has invested heavily and prudently in key sectors of her economy? Does he know that with her sound investments in agriculture and food production that Enugu State is geared to achieve self-sufficiency in food production by 2013 (well short of her earlier goal of 2015)?

Does he know that Enugu State’s wise investments in physical infrastructure especially in the

metropolis is now paying off with increasing investor interest in the state, and a population boom through migration from other states to Enugu State, and healthy and increasing real estate values, a returning manufacturing/ industrial base, and a down-ward unemployment index, and a rising middle class etc?

We cannot believe that the senator did not know these things before he made such a baseless claim against Enugu State in the hallowed halls of the Nigerian Senate.

Furthermore, senator, on the matter of the revenue allocation formula between the federal, state, and local governments, we also understand that he and Senators Ndoma-Egba, James Manager, Sola Adeyeye, etc, would like an upward review of the allocation formula so that state governments would end up with a higher percentage than the federal government as is currently the case.

We understand that he wants to portray that the current financial state of the state governments compel his desire for an upward review, but he did not have to attach a false, baseless and irresponsible label on a fiscally prudent and exemplary state such as Enugu in order to make his point. In conclusion, Senator, you were wrong. A retraction and an apology from you would be in order.

Ambrose Agu contributed this piece from Enugu

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/enugu-not-bankrupt-an-open-letter-to-senator-adetumbi/
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Obiagu1(m): 4:09am On Nov 02, 2011
I was surprised when I saw Enugu amongt states that are in distress.

That can't be true.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Nobody: 4:30am On Nov 02, 2011
This thing is REALLY itching Enugu, I see.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Nobody: 4:36am On Nov 02, 2011
PS: If an Ekiti man says the state is bankrupt, it prolly is. Give it a year to show face.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Chyz2: 4:43am On Nov 02, 2011
Obiagu1:

I was surprised when I saw Enugu amongt states that are in distress.

That can't be true.

Yea, I was like "huh?" undecided. . .Very premature of him. Speaking before thinking.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Obiagu1(m): 4:50am On Nov 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

PS: If an Ekiti man says the state is bankrupt, it prolly is. Give it a year to show face.

but for now, Enugu is not in distress.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by RickyRoss1(m): 4:59am On Nov 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

ABEG GO SIDDON, ENUGU IS NOT BANKRUPT AT ALL,
I HAVE BEEN TO ENUGU RECENTLY AND I WONDER HOW DID THE STATE GOVERNOR ACHIEVE SO MUCH WITHOUT BORROWING MONEY? MY STATE GOVERNOR BORROWED MONEY AND WE CANT SEE ANYTHING ON GROUND, NOT EVEN THE SO CALLED REFINERY HE PROMISED, NOT EVEN THE WONDER LAKE RESORT,
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Nobody: 5:00am On Nov 02, 2011
^^^ What did you see on ground?
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Odunnu: 5:40am On Nov 02, 2011
Why is the Ekiti senator chasing a rat when his house is on fire?
*smh* at all the unfocused senators we elected.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Nobody: 5:43am On Nov 02, 2011
^^^ Since he did not exclude Ekiti in his list, he's very much focused. Enugu is simply providing us evidence on why they're not Bankrupt. Still out to the jury, not enough from all this letter and condemnation.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Nobody: 5:44am On Nov 02, 2011
metropolis is now paying off with increasing investor interest in the state, and a population boom through migration from other states to Enugu State, and healthy and increasing real estate values, a returning manufacturing/ industrial base, and a down-ward unemployment index, and a rising middle class etc?

Enugu is turning into another Lagos? That might be a good thing. Who exactly are migrating and from where?
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by alexleo(m): 6:56am On Nov 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Enugu is turning into another Lagos? That might be a good thing. Who exactly are migrating and from where?

Ileke idi keep quiet. Why do you like to turn everything to tribal war. Was the Enugu government condemning what the senator said because he is from Ekiti state? I think we should begin to show some maturity and get over some of these childish attitude being displayed by some of you here.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Odunnu: 8:12am On Nov 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

me, my extended family, a lot of Adebayo, 'femi, Abiola, Ahmed,Tajudeen, Ubong, Hamzat, Ekaete, Umoh, Kodjo, Mr Wood etc We migrated from various parts of the country and beyond
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 02, 2011
Odunnu:

me, my extended family, a lot of Adebayo, 'femi, Abiola, Ahmed,Tajudeen, Ubong, Hamzat, Ekaete, Umoh, Kodjo, Mr Wood etc We migrated from various parts of the country and beyond

Interesting.

alexleo:

Ileke idi keep quiet. Why do you like to turn everything to tribal war. Was the Enugu government condemning what the senator said because he is from Ekiti state? I think we should begin to show some maturity and get over some of these childish attitude being displayed by some of you here.

Take off your tribal googles. If an Ekiti man says a state is bankrupt, it prolly is. Go over the other states he listed, THEY ARE BANKRUPT, including Ekiti itself. We have to stop lying to ourselves once in a while.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:45pm On Nov 02, 2011
Ricky_Ross:

ABEG GO SIDDON, ENUGU IS NOT BANKRUPT AT ALL,
I HAVE BEEN TO ENUGU RECENTLY AND I WONDER HOW DID THE STATE GOVERNOR ACHIEVE SO MUCH WITHOUT BORROWING MONEY? MY STATE GOVERNOR BORROWED MONEY AND WE CANT SEE ANYTHING ON GROUND, NOT EVEN THE SO CALLED REFINERY HE PROMISED, NOT EVEN THE WONDER LAKE RESORT,

^^^ grin grin grin winkLOL. That's why it's called wonder lake: you go to Oguta, and wonder where the f*uck it is . Abi you never hear the song: 'come and see American wonder, come and see American wonder'? Just substitute 'American' for 'Oguta' or 'Ohakim' and you'll understand more wink.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by 9javoice1(m): 7:39pm On Nov 02, 2011
ileke idi ileke idi ileke idi
you just want ppl to insult you.

but i can see them behavin themselfs by
avoiding your reckless comment "if Ekiti man says bankrupt then there is or there will be"
as God or as Demons and Lucifa or what?

pls try to comment maturely and respect yourself.
the man's reply is directed to the senator not his state.
so dont come over to defend him cus u both are from same state.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Benez: 9:48am On Nov 03, 2011
Odunnu, i think it is disrespectful to call a Senator representing a whole senatorial district as being unfocused. We should rather control our emotions whilst reacting to issues.

Without being told, i could offer a definition of your personalty for such a statement coming out from a woman who is suppose to be a subject to a responsible man.

Please, respect begets respect.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by KacHemNaU(m): 10:01am On Nov 03, 2011
Odunnu:

lwkmooooo
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Akingbiz: 11:03am On Nov 03, 2011
Days are number just like senator u are fired.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Gbenge77(m): 11:37am On Nov 03, 2011
The tribal warlords are arriving
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by chy101: 12:20pm On Nov 03, 2011
Enugu should work towards coming out of bankruptcy instead coming on pages of newpaper to defend itself. I keep saying development does not start and end with tarring of few kilometers of roads(only in urban center). But the enugu govt should move towards empowering and encourage private sector driven economy, that is where govt can reap tax returns. They should focus on attracting investors that will in return pay tax to the govt and thereby boost their IGR. They can defend their bankruptcy from now till tomorrow the fact remains that the state is really really bankrupt not because it was confirmed by an ekiti senator, afterward Ekiti is also in the list of dead bankrupt states.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Dede1(m): 12:39pm On Nov 03, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I am a firm believer in the saying "from their fruits we shall know them". It will not surprise any right-thinking fellow that such goofy crap about Enugu and bankruptcy came from one airhead from Ekiti State.

I do not need to look beyond Ileke-IdI (Ekiti Ikebe of NairaLand) to understand the quality of personalities out of Ekiti State.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 03, 2011
This is the most disappointing post from Ileke-Idi. She failed to provide any facts to counter the position of the Enugu State official instead she is introducing ethnicity into the argument. I refuse to condemn Ekiti or Ekiti people. Those that I have come across are wonderful people. I refuse to believe that all Ekiti people reason like Ileke-Idi
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Odunnu: 3:53pm On Nov 03, 2011
Benez:

Odunnu, i think it is disrespectful to call a Senator representing a whole senatorial district as being unfocused. We should rather control our emotions whilst reacting to issues.

Without being told, i could offer a definition of your personalty for such a statement coming out from a woman who is suppose to be a subject to a responsible man.

Please, respect begets respect.
unu ana egee kwa?
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by kenmusa: 3:56pm On Nov 03, 2011
As we praise the governor of Enugu state, his excellency, gov. Sullivan Chime for his marvelous performance, we should not fail to give d almighty GOD the final thanksgivings for using his servant, Mr Chime to perform this great work. Greetings to all!
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 03, 2011
kITA TITA:

This is the most disappointing post from Ileke-Idi. She failed to provide any facts to counter the position of the Enugu State official instead she is introducing ethnicity into the argument. I refuse to condemn Ekiti or Ekiti people. Those that I have come across are wonderful people. [size=18pt]I refuse to believe that all Ekiti people reason like Ileke-Idi[/size]

atta boy!! That's the way to go, makes more sense that way.
Did I say Enugu is bankrupt? Has education failed you ppl in nigeria? You do not understand "Probability"?
If an Ekiti man says that Enugu plus the other states are poor, they PROBABLY are. . . .Simply provide evidence that they aren't. i.e like Enugu is doing.
BTW, I never asked you who you are/were/what you mean to my NL persona.

Dede1:

I am a firm believer in the saying "from their fruits we shall know them". It will not surprise any right-thinking fellow that such goofy crap about Enugu and bankruptcy came from one airhead from Ekiti State.

I do not need to look beyond Ileke-IdI (Ekiti Ikebe of NairaLand) to understand the quality of personalities out of Ekiti State.       

There's a reason why I always ignore your post, the same reason why you beg for my attention. SMH, not gonna happen.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Dede1(m): 7:45pm On Nov 03, 2011
*Ileke-IdI link=topic=794688.msg9474215 date=1320334028:

There's a reason why I always ignore your post, the same reason why you beg for my attention. SMH, not gonna happen.

You must be joking if you lifted your ugly self to insinuate that the son of the soil such as me has any intention to seek for your dirty attention. I have been enjoying a nice day until I read this piece of junk.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 03, 2011
So this is even the Chime who allegedly slept with his sister's wife?

Still wondering if the story is true or not sha. Nkan nbe.
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by HighChief4(m): 9:00pm On Nov 03, 2011
*Ileke-IdI:

So this is even the Chime who allegedly slept with his sister's wife?

Still wondering if the story is true or not sha. Nkan nbe.

Ileke sometimes you have to be reasonable if you want engage in any intellectual debate, you were not like this before and I wonder what happened to you. You dont have to be ethnocentric all the time, tribalism was written all over your post. You are begining to piss most people here off and it doesnt say much of a woman.

chy101:

Enugu should work towards coming out of bankruptcy instead coming on pages of newpaper to defend itself. I keep saying development does not start and end with tarring of few kilometers of roads(only in urban center). But the enugu govt should move towards empowering and encourage private sector driven economy, that is where govt can reap tax returns. They should focus on attracting investors that will in return pay tax to the govt and thereby boost their IGR. They can defend their bankruptcy from now till tomorrow the fact remains that the state is really really bankrupt not because it was confirmed by an ekiti senator, afterward Ekiti is also in the list of dead bankrupt states.

With all that was stated in that letter, is it not obvious that Enugu state is not bankrupt, which state in such financial state would achieve all those feats without suffering a set-back. Enugu has so many manufacturers such as Innoson, Kia, Biggest brewery in africa and so many others. The influx of investors in the state now is also quite impressive, dont also forget that Enugu used to be a civil service state. That an ekiti man included his state on the list should not make us to accept what he said without proof
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 03, 2011
High_Chief:

You are begining to piss most people here off and it doesnt say much of a woman.
Is that so? Tell them to take panadol, you take one too. It'll help the ache. Dont worry, I have balls enough for all.

Done posting yur anti-Yoruba threads already?
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 03, 2011
Anyone else is allowed to write their "Ileke-IdI complaints" kiss
Re: An Open Letter To Senator Adetumbi - 'Enugu Is Not Bankrupt' by Odunnu: 9:29pm On Nov 03, 2011
You too like wahala, I swear!!! grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ahead 2015 General Elections Fashola Hits FG, TAN In A Very Hard Way / (photo) Another Plane Crash In Adamawa State / Arab Sheiks Boost Buhari’s Campaign With $700 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.