Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,594 members, 7,820,135 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building (29097 Views)

DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] / Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri / Architecture: Construction Of Duplex In Lekki & Akwa-Ibom State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 5:52pm On Nov 09, 2011
spyder880:

Learning, enjoying the learning process. Thanks my man.

@ spyder880, No wahala, maybe one day we can join forces to do something in naija. you can run the residential side while i handle commercial projects,   wink
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by spyder880(m): 6:41pm On Nov 09, 2011
^^^^ I will be looking forward to that.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Aventures(m): 7:28pm On Nov 09, 2011
I cld have asked this at the begining of this tread. Hw do you set out your column points. well i know in some Big construction like this GPS or total station is always used to locate the coordinates of the piers as specified in the drawing. Can you pls shed more light on this or rather give us your method. Thanks
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 8:07pm On Nov 09, 2011
Aventures:

I cld have asked this at the begining of this tread. Hw do you set out your column points. well i know in some Big construction like this GPS or total station is always used to locate the coordinates of the piers as specified in the drawing. Can you pls shed more light on this or rather give us your method. Thanks

You are correct, the use of a total station is pretty much the norm. It's basically a stake out process where you set a benchmark off an existing structure, then set building corners and eventually the entire footprint. All the piers are located off the benchmark, and then a licensed surveyor is hired to determine variances. At the end of the pier drilling operation, the land surveyor produces and as built drawing indicating actual pile/pier locations. This report is submitted to the engineer for review and approval. In the case where the variance of a pier location exceeds the allowable variance in the specifications, the engineer may elect to add one more pier to the set to guarantee the structural integrity of the system.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by gestapo(f): 1:01am On Nov 10, 2011
@ thread
Wow kudos is all I can say for now cool

ToToChoper:

@OP.

Is this the ongoing construction at the Heart and Vascular Tower of Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center in Baton Rouge?

ToToChoper:

Despite my doubts on the veracity of your contribution to this ongoing project,  I say kudos if actually you are the Project Manager for this job.

Next my guy, wisdom dictates your n.yash, lol

If you reside in Jigg city or have ever lived in Jigg city (that is Baton rouge for you), you will understand that this construction is off a well-travelled road privy to the PUBLIC. It's a freakin hospital for crying out loud so the issue of client privacy is perhaps your nigerianess worrying you. 

Additionally, the hospital has updates on this construction listed on their website not only for kez007 but the public.

(P.S: I don't need your email)

http://www.ololrmc.com/body.cfm?id=814&fr=true

Professional scepticism presented in such matured manner as this is good too, nothing do you so carry go as the spirit leads Brethren cool
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 4:43pm On Nov 10, 2011
Excavated Grade beam, supported by drilled piers.

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 4:45pm On Nov 10, 2011
Another day on the grind. Augered piles, and excavation of pile caps continue,

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by atasteve: 5:12pm On Nov 10, 2011
Lord Kez007 and all the profs, this is so educative and interesting. I have learned a lot reading through this thread.
smiley smiley smiley
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 7:57pm On Nov 10, 2011
atasteve:

Lord Kez007 and all the profs, this is so educative and interesting. I have learned a lot reading through this thread.
smiley smiley smiley

@atasteve, hopefully it will get even more interesting as the months go by, this should be an enjoyable ride!! smiley
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Fhemmmy: 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2011
kez007:

@atasteve, hopefully it will get even more interesting as the months go by, this should be an enjoyable ride!! smiley

The ride has been fun, educative and informal so far . . . Loving it
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 6:18pm On Nov 11, 2011
Wow, Another Friday, As of today, the pile caps have been backfilled and covered.
Drilling is continuing and is scheduled to end next week, and the tower crane will be erected over the weekend.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 6:20pm On Nov 11, 2011
Backfilling around pile cap,

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 6:22pm On Nov 11, 2011
Compacting backfill with a remote controlled vibrating compactor,

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 6:23pm On Nov 11, 2011
Preparing for crane erection tomorrow.

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 6:24pm On Nov 11, 2011
Grade beam reinforcing in progress,

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 6:27pm On Nov 11, 2011
Finally, aerial view of site. We notice that the pile caps have been covered completely with only the column pedestals exposed. , Enjoy the weekend!!

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by tushbobo(m): 9:41am On Nov 13, 2011
"Ground beam reinforcement in progress" u mean
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 5:48pm On Nov 13, 2011
Behind bobo:

"Ground beam reinforcement in progress" u mean
Nope, I actually mean "grade beam" installation. That is what it is called here, but I would still like to know the different construction terminologies that prevail in different parts of the world, I assume it it. Called "ground beam" in Naija. Interesting, thanks for the insight.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by omobashua1: 9:22pm On Nov 14, 2011
great job
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by stepo707: 10:32am On Nov 16, 2011
Nice shots.Keep it up
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 7:25am On Nov 22, 2011
Thanks for all the compliments, I was away last week, I will provide an update by tomorrow,
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by tushbobo(m): 8:33pm On Nov 26, 2011
What type of form work do u guys use?? For good quality construction in naija we use steel shuttering or doca wood panels(or any similar machine cut panels).though most peeps use common untreated panels as this is cheaper.but i love the quality of construction right from the foundation.that s the real difference between construction in naija and foreign countries.though i must add that there are a couple of construction companies doing well here too
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by aseju: 2:59am On Nov 27, 2011
kez007 along with other construction gurus, I salute o. May God bless you all for this and other like-threads. To me it does not matter where this project is. The process itself is a lot to learn from. Me sef I be laborer in Naija terms, however, I don register for the class even though I too dey skip class. My first question is, is this going to be a "steel and concrete" or "reinforced concrete" structure? Thank you.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 12:16am On Nov 30, 2011
Behind bobo:

What type of form work do u guys use?? For good quality construction in naija we use steel shuttering or doca wood panels(or any similar machine cut panels).though most peeps use common untreated panels as this is cheaper.but i love the quality of construction right from the foundation.that s the real difference between construction in naija and foreign countries.though i must add that there are a couple of construction companies doing well here too

There are a variety of forms that are used here, but for large projects, steel and wood are the norm. Permanent metal forms are also used in cases where form removal may be unproductive.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 12:31am On Nov 30, 2011
aseju:

kez007 along with other construction gurus, I salute o. May God bless you all for this and other like-threads. To me it does not matter where this project is. The process itself is a lot to learn from. Me sef I be laborer in Naija terms, however, I don register for the class even though I too dey skip class. My first question is, is this going to be a "steel and concrete" or "reinforced concrete" structure? Thank you.

This will be a steel framed building with conrete slabs and concrete shear walls for elevators and stairwells. As you can see in the picture, excavation for the elevator pile cap has began,

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Aventures(m): 7:19am On Nov 30, 2011
What abt the partitioning
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 2:57pm On Nov 30, 2011
@ Aventures, Wonderfiul questions, All partitions will be constructed with metal studs/ frame with gypsum board surfaces. This is typical for most commercial projects. For special areas where radio activity or infra red rays will be present, a solid high density concrete wall will be used for containment. These area include MRI, Linear accelerators etc.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 3:48pm On Dec 01, 2011
Tower crane complete.  cool

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 3:24pm On Dec 02, 2011
Slab ready to be poured.

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by spyder880(m): 3:58pm On Dec 02, 2011
Learning and appreciating the process, welldone.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by aseju: 7:20pm On Dec 02, 2011
Oga, thank you o.
Some observations - it seems like no below grade occupiable space, 1st floor will be slab on grade? Guessing that is what obtains in that neck of the wood because of water level. I may also want to ask about distances to adjacent buildings, some have openings now and is that going to remain as such along with yours in place? Some existing columns are protected in that foto and I am thinking separation (or none) with those buildings (existing)?
Thank you for taking us through this.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 3:48pm On Dec 05, 2011
aseju:

Oga, thank you o.
Some observations - it seems like no below grade occupiable space, 1st floor will be slab on grade? Guessing that is what obtains in that neck of the wood because of water level. I may also want to ask about distances to adjacent buildings, some have openings now and is that going to remain as such along with yours in place? Some existing columns are protected in that foto and I am thinking separation (or none) with those buildings (existing)?
Thank you for taking us through this.

First i should point out that this slab is for a 2 story portion of the project that adjoins the 10 story building. It is a slab on grade, and the existing openings will remain. The two building will be separated by a rubber expansion joint to allow for potential movement. The 10 story portion is still at the foundation stage as shown in the attached pictures.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

A Nairanlander's Building Project / PMB Okays Centenary City Project / Department Of Interior Decorations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.