Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,519 members, 7,826,955 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria (3986 Views)

See Reasons For The Improved Power Supply / Who Takes The Credit For The Improved Power Supply? / #NEVER AGAIN, As Nigerians Cheer GEJ On Facebook After Soldiers Visit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by mukina2: 12:57pm On Nov 03, 2011
When I assumed the mantle of leadership of Nigeria on the 6th of May, 2010, one of my personal decisions was to prioritize education (being a teacher myself) and the welfare of the Nigerian people (health, the economy and energy security). This explained why the first budget under my watch had the highest allocation going to education and the people's welfare. And I am glad today to report that t, here has been progress. For instance, the United Nations just released it's Human Development Index which shows a 10% rise in the life expectancy of the average Nigerian from 47.56 years to 51.9 years. The report also corroborates this administration's findings to the effect that infant mortality rates have significantly improved while access to education while still poor has also improved. I assure Nigerians that this is only a beginning. Things will definitely improve and will keep improving. I again refer you to my inaugural address where I promised that I would "never, never let you down" so help me God. That was my promise then and it is my promise for today and tomorrow. GEJ
http://www.facebook.com/jonathangoodluck/posts/259237964126585

Nigeria is placed 156 out of 187 countries in a new UN study, which ranks countries on their education, income and life expectancy.

The 2011 Human Development Index (HDI) released on Wednesday by the UN Development Programme (UNDP) put Norway, Australia and the Netherlands on the top three countries to live in.

Nigeria placed 142 out of 169 a year ago and was listed among “least human development” countries in terms of wealth and low educational ranking.

However, the 2011 HDI covered a record 187 countries and territories, up from 169 in 2010 and according to the authors, the 2011 country rankings “are therefore not comparable” to last years figures.

The 2011 report entitled ‘Sustainability and Equity: A Better Future for All’, put Nigeria’s life expectancy at 51.9 years, below that of Libya at 74, Mauritus 73.4, Gabon 62.7 and South Africa, 52.8.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-795362.0.html

Low
Human Development

142. Solomon Islands
143. Kenya
144. São Tomé and Príncipe
145. Pakistan
146. Bangladesh
147. Timor-Leste
148. Angola
149. Myanmar
150. Cameroon
151. Madagascar
152. Tanzania (United Republic of)
153. Papua New Guinea
154. Yemen
155. Senegal
[size=20pt] 156. Nigeria[/size]
157. Nepal
158. Haiti
159. Mauritania
160. Lesotho
161. Uganda
162. Togo
163. Comoros
164. Zambia
165. Djibouti
166. Rwanda
167. Benin
168. Gambia
169. Sudan
170. Côte d'Ivoire
171. Malawi
172. Afghanistan
173. Zimbabwe
174. Ethiopia
175. Mali
176. Guinea-Bissau
177. Eritrea
178. Guinea
179. Central African Republic
180. Sierra Leone
181. Burkina Faso
182. Liberia
183. Chad
184. Mozambique
185. Burundi
186. Niger
187. Congo (Democratic Republic of the)

http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by omo9ja1(m): 1:10pm On Nov 03, 2011
at least Nigeria pass Malawi and Benin

shame on you all current leaders in Nigeria

God bless Nigeria
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by badmrkt(m): 1:17pm On Nov 03, 2011
kudos mr president.we see a promising future ahead.
every hundred miles journey begins with a step,gradually we'll get there.
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by olawalebabs(m): 1:29pm On Nov 03, 2011
How has that translate to food on the table of the citizens. Go Ikeja Market, go tell them that one
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by cjfavour(m): 1:43pm On Nov 03, 2011
@badmrkt, you dnt understand.Nigeria is ranked above only war torn countries. Even mst of them are ranked above us. It's a shame on d current leaders. But how does dt concern them when they will b leave opulence life frm what they stole frm us. Whe the're sick,they fly themselves abroad at our detriment. They can afford to pay for security with our stolen money,their even using greater number of d security operatives that are suppose to b securing d country all by themselves. Can u?
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by Beaf: 1:50pm On Nov 03, 2011
omo9ja1:

God bless Nigeria

cjfavour:

@badmrkt, you dnt understand.Nigeria is ranked above only war torn countries. Even mst of them are ranked above us. It's a shame on d current leaders. But how does dt concern them when they will b leave opulence life frm what they stole frm us. Whe the're sick,they fly themselves abroad at our detriment. They can afford to pay for security with our stolen money,their even using greater number of d security operatives that are suppose to b securing d country all by themselves. Can u?

Its a shame on the current leaders? Do you think you are talking to fools?
Lol! Maybe GEJ should begin making mistakes too, so they can be blamed on the next President after him.

"Clever" stuff.

Thank God GEJ is investing heavily in education.
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by MrGlobe(m): 2:06pm On Nov 03, 2011
WTF!!!! Yemen, myanmar and bangladesh are ahead of Nigeria and the president is popping champaign; refering us to his campaign speech and all. Last time I checked most of the countries in our grades are war torn, lack resources and all. Is this an improvement considering the number of countries entered is larger than the last one the president is referring to.
This is shameful! Nigerians is this what y'all bargained for?
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by KacHemNaU(m): 2:30pm On Nov 03, 2011
Mr. Globe:

WTF!!!! Yemen, myanmar and bangladesh are ahead of Nigeria and the president is popping champaign; refering us to his campaign speech and all. Last time I check most of the countries in our grades are war torn, lack resources and all. Is this an improvement considering the number of countries entered is larger than the last one the president is referring to.
what were you expecting?
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by badmrkt(m): 2:31pm On Nov 03, 2011
Mr. Globe:

WTF!!!! Yemen, myanmar and bangladesh are ahead of Nigeria and the president is popping champaign; refering us to his campaign speech and all. Last time I check most of the countries in our grades are war torn, lack resources and all. Is this an improvement considering the number of countries entered is larger than the last one the president is referring to.
why do you hate this man so much?
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by prettyboi1(m): 2:48pm On Nov 03, 2011
olawalebab:

How has that translated to food on the table of the citizens. Go Ikeja Market, go tell them that one

True my brother,true. This Jonathan is too damn clueless about every single thing & that doesn't surprise me. he's always talking,talking,talking but you never see action or the reality of anything he propagandizes. If you were outside Nigeria & you were always reading Jonathan's Facebook wall, you'd think the guy's really doing greatly but in reality you'd find out all he ever does is talk,talk,talk without hopes for action. screw him &his tenure.
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by Parisgoodman(m): 2:55pm On Nov 03, 2011
Change doesnt come in a minute, it takes years 2 acquire. We all know how d country waz b4 he came in, so if u think he's not trying then try 2 b a president in ur dream one nite n see wht its like, besides, i cant find ghana our sister country.
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by anonimi: 3:16pm On Nov 03, 2011
cjfavour:

Nigeria is ranked above only war torn countries. Even mst of them are ranked above us.

Will you be kind enough to show us how many of the countries listed below are war torn. Thanks for obliging.

157. Nepal
158. Haiti
159. Mauritania
160. Lesotho
161. Uganda
162. Togo
163. Comoros
164. Zambia
165. Djibouti
166. Rwanda
167. Benin
168. Gambia
169. Sudan
170. Côte d'Ivoire
171. Malawi
172. Afghanistan
173. Zimbabwe
174. Ethiopia
175. Mali
176. Guinea-Bissau
177. Eritrea
178. Guinea
180. Sierra Leone
181. Burkina Faso
182. Liberia
183. Chad
184. Mozambique
185. Burundi
186. Niger
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by ujchief(m): 3:32pm On Nov 03, 2011
Apart from afghan, the least 25 are all african countries. How come we're rubbing shoulders with east african countries that survive with aid from un and unicef, na waaoh! Worthy of note is that libya is among the top, i wonder if they can maintain that since they executed col. Gaddahfi. I believe the reason s/africa is low is due to the widespread of h.i.v there.
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by success4(m): 3:40pm On Nov 03, 2011
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by sweet9ja: 4:24pm On Nov 03, 2011
ujchief:

How come we're rubbing shoulders with east african countries that survive with aid from un and unicef, na waaoh!
Ask the cow herders in kaki who held us hostage and loot naija dry.
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 03, 2011
I again refer you to my inaugural address where I promised that I would "never, never let you down" so help me God. That was my promise then and it is my promise for today and tomorrow. GEJ

gej. promise made. promise made again. lipsrsealed
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 03, 2011
When I assumed the mantle of leadership of Nigeria on the 6th of May, 2010, one of my personal decisions was to prioritize education (being a teacher myself) and the welfare of the Nigerian people (health, the economy and energy security). This explained why the first budget under my watch had the highest allocation going to education and the people's welfare. And I am glad today to report that t, here has been progress. For instance, the United Nations just released it's Human Development Index which shows a 10% rise in the life expectancy of the average Nigerian from 47.56 years to 51.9 years. The report also corroborates this administration's findings to the effect that infant mortality rates have significantly improved while access to education while still poor has also improved. I assure Nigerians that this is only a beginning. Things will definitely improve and will keep improving. I again refer you to my inaugural address where I promised that I would "never, never let you down" so help me God. That was my promise then and it is my promise for today and tomorrow. GEJ

Wait a minute, life expectancy has gone up from 47.56 years to 51.9 years since May 2010?
Presido really needs to start providing clear references on his facebook page, as the world health organisation clearly has life expectancy for Nigeria as 53/54 for 2009 http://www.who.int/countries/nga/en/
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by doctokwus: 5:44pm On Nov 03, 2011
anonimi:

Will you be kind enough to show us how many of the countries listed below are war torn. Thanks for obliging.

157. Nepal
158. Haiti
159. Mauritania
160. Lesotho
161. Uganda
162. Togo
163. Comoros
164. Zambia
165. Djibouti
166. Rwanda
167. Benin
168. Gambia
169. Sudan
170. Côte d'Ivoire
171. Malawi
172. Afghanistan
173. Zimbabwe
174. Ethiopia
175. Mali
176. Guinea-Bissau
177. Eritrea
178. Guinea
180. Sierra Leone
181. Burkina Faso
182. Liberia
183. Chad
184. Mozambique
185. Burundi
186. Niger
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by doctokwus: 5:48pm On Nov 03, 2011
anonimi:

157. Nepal
158. Haiti
159. Mauritania
160. Lesotho
161. Uganda
162. Togo
163. Comoros
164. Zambia
165. Djibouti
166. Rwanda
167. Benin
168. Gambia
169. Sudan
170. Côte d'Ivoire
171. Malawi
172. Afghanistan
173. Zimbabwe
174. Ethiopia
175. Mali
176. Guinea-Bissau
177. Eritrea
178. Guinea
180. Sierra Leone
181. Burkina Faso
182. Liberia
183. Chad
184. Mozambique
185. Burundi
186. Niger
If we are not ranked above only war torn countries,den war torn countries must b ranked above us,dat makes it worse
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by anonimi: 6:00pm On Nov 03, 2011
doctokwus:

If we are not ranked above only war torn countries,den war torn countries must b ranked above us,dat makes it worse

If you cannot answer the simple question that I asked you should please kindly move on. Nor be by force, you hear!
Let us learn to be objective and concise in our criticism. Thanks.
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by HolyTrader: 6:01pm On Nov 03, 2011
G20 is going on now in Cannes, France. Where is Nigeria?

Member of the G20 by the year 2015! Dreamers. Silly & Visionless Leaders. Currently, Nigeria is not even in the top 50.
When a country spends 70% of her revenue on Workers Salaries, is there any future? When all the Leaders do is fighting like mad to win elections so they can steal public fund, knowing that there will not be any consequences whatsoever, where is the future?
For God’s sake, where did we get it wrong? Was it the annulment of June 12, 1992? Is it because Gowon stayed for too long?  Is it because we were dribbled by a Maradona (IBB) for 8 wasted years? Is it because of the Illiterate one (Abacha)? Don’t even talk about OBJ (the worst ever)! Since Independence, Nigeria was on the right track for only 7 months under Murtala Mohammed (the best leader ever). Guys, it is too late. Sad, but true.
Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin. No true revolution is peaceful (Ask China! Ask France!). Until there is a justice system where the punishment for stealing of public funds is a capital offense (a death sentence), we will never get it right.
What about our values? Even these themselves have problems. We (all the tribes, especially the major 3 tribes) love parties like hell. We love to ride the best cars even when we still have to import even the tiniest thing in a vehicle. We are the country of Tokunbos, the country of used underwear; and we are still stupidly proud to talk about being the Giant (sorry, Ant) of Africa. With the continuous increase in the population, we would have to spend almost 90% of our revenue on Salaries by the year 2015. Where will the money for development come from?
To make an already hopeless situation absolutely hopeless, the so called “Fresh Air” is still surrounded by the same group of people who drove us into the ditch. Do I need to continue?
For God’s sake, how did we get here? How did we miss the road?
Nigeria my Motherland, I love you, but I also weep and mourn for you.

{If you agree with some or all of the above, do not only reply to it, but copy and paste it in other relevant/related threads on this Forum}
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by anonimi: 6:02pm On Nov 03, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Wait a minute, life expectancy has gone up from 47.56 years to 51.9 years since May 2010?
Presido really needs to start providing clear references on his facebook page, as the world health organisation clearly has life expectancy for Nigeria as 53/54 for 2009 http://www.who.int/countries/nga/en/

So how is 2009 the same as 2010?
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 03, 2011
anonimi:

So how is 2009 the same as 2010?

Who said it is?
What I was trying to illustrate is that, even allowing for the conflicting figures provided by UNDP and WHO, Life Expectancy was higher than 47.56 in 2010. Simple.
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by prettyboi1(m): 7:49pm On Nov 03, 2011
I believe in Nigeria & the change we all need won't fall from heaven, it starts with us "doing" & not just talking. we've talked for years without action where has it led us? I know the change won't happen overnight but we need visionary leaders &a fair contribution by us the followers & citizens.nobody would have to tell us when the changes start setting in cos we would be able to see it ourselves. In my own opinion,Jonathan is a typical product of d recycling of clueless leaders we've had in the past. he's not firm,he's not decisive,all he ever does is talk without any action & he's clearly Damn clueless, & this isn't the kind of president we should be having in present day Nigeria if we really need to start walking towards greatness. (this is my own opinion though,everyone's entitled to theirs). GOD BLESS NIGERIA, GOD BLESS MAMA AFRICA. AMEN.
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 03, 2011
omo9ja1:

God bless Nigeria

Really, it's a shame that Nigeria is that close to Benin and Haiti. With our resources and education, we're still not moving forward.
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by jmaine: 8:13pm On Nov 03, 2011
Maybe if Nigeria was just the southwest or the South East or the Niger Delta region . . .or the Middle belt or even North Central region. . . .our index could have been much higher . . . .  Cos i konow those regions can hold their own any day any time . . .our  large population and vast waste of landmass could have favoured those smaller countries in raking more index scores than us . . . .
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by Remii(m): 11:12pm On Nov 03, 2011
G E J is seriously working on improving that index. By the time petrol sells for N156 per liter and toll gates are back on Federal roads next year una go feel the Real Fresh Air.
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by Gbenge77(m): 1:01am On Nov 04, 2011
And he travelled to Australia with over 400 delegates.
Re: GEJ On The Improved Human Development Index In Nigeria by anonimi: 11:22am On Nov 04, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Who said it is?
What I was trying to illustrate is that, even allowing for the conflicting figures provided by UNDP and WHO, Life Expectancy was higher than 47.56 in 2010. Simple.

It would have been useful if you could provide figures from the same source over the two years to make your comment convincing.

Gbenge 77:

And he travelled to Australia with over 400 delegates.

Where did you get your 400 figure from. I have read about 120, which is intself outrageous but why stretch it to "over 400"?

(1) (Reply)

Africa's New Biggest City Is Lagos - & Economy To Outweigh Johannesburg By 2015 / BUHARINOMICS: As Head Of State, I Refused To Devalue Naira / APC'S Pains Will Be Pdp's Gain After Elections. -tunde Bakare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.