Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony (63532 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 7:56am On Nov 09, 2011
LOL!! Oh dear, women. . . . they always wanna play the hate card tongue LOL Everybody is a hater.

Are we still discussing the agbada on page 5? kiss
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 7:59am On Nov 09, 2011
On the skirt wearing aspect of the "buba" (not sure what it's called), I dont recall any scottish influence in any Nigerian culture.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/565675_CHIEF_JUSTICE_EKWELE_EKWU_jpgd3f7633a84bf85969d8f075385100f39

It's common amongst the Bini, Igbos, Deltans and Ijaws
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 09, 2011
Good morning ladies and gentlemen

As an "outsider", I'm a lil iffy about the horsetail in those pictures. When did the SE Kings/chiefs began carrying horsetail like their brothers in the SW? I found that aspect a lil bit interesting. . . . has it always been like that or when was did the change start?

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Afam4eva(m): 5:47pm On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

As an "outsider", I'm a lil iffy about the horsetail in those pictures. When did the SE Kings/chiefs began carrying horsetail like their brothers in the SW? I found that aspect a lil bit interesting. . . . has it always been like that or when was did the change start?

They started in 2008.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 8:26pm On Nov 09, 2011
Wednesday Morning to be precise cheesy
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 09, 2011
afam4eva:

They started in 2008.

I thought so, was thinking 2009, a year earlier then.  kiss Yoruba influence.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 8:36pm On Nov 09, 2011
I found this online might pertain to the thread smiley
[img]http://2.bp..com/-cS9cPHNZDyY/TcCLZlYNzUI/AAAAAAAAAVo/FkHOhLfaMUU/s400/Igwe.jpg[/img]
Grades of chiefs.—The first and highest grade is that of Igwi [Igwe]. The distinguishing mark is a circle of broom (termed Aziza, from the palm tree), knotted before and behind, with upturned ends a couple of inches or so in length.

This circle is usually worn round a red cloth cap, rather like a flattened fez, but is occasionally worn round a brown one, and, when work has to be done, even on the uncovered head. In addition, the Igwi carries a circular fan made of untanned cow-hide, usually ornamented with red cloth strips or some similar decoration,and a short thin handle. This is the Azuzu. Finally, a short-handled many-thonged fly-flick is common, and is carried in the hand or over the shoulder. This is the Ijappa. Ivories round ankles or wrists are very usual and are termed respectively ordu uku (ivory [for] foot) and orku uku (ivory [for] hand).

Thumb rings are known as umbáká orpupu (literally ring bone).

A horn, which, when properly blown, produces a long discordant note, is called Oturu aka, and is often carried by an Igwi. The origin of the name Oturu aka is doubtful; the instrument, in the form of a slightly bent cone, is made from the canine of a hippopotamus, the horn of a cow, etc.; it is blown through a small rectangular slit half way down the length, and is open only at one end.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by odumchi: 3:24am On Nov 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

It's called a fly-whisk and it wasn't exclusive to any culture. Ibibios had them, Igbos had them, Edos had them, Yorubas had them.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 5:19am On Nov 10, 2011
odumchi:

It's called a fly-whisk and it wasn't exclusive to any culture. Ibibios had them, Igbos had them, Edos had them, Yorubas had them.

True, nowadays, it's not exclusive to anyone. The history behind the fly-whisk will be much appreciated.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by igboboy1(m): 8:15am On Nov 10, 2011
[size=18pt]WONDERS SHALL NEVER END, NA WA, Yoruba CULTURE THAT IS HALF ARABIC/ISLAMIC AND YET SOME SILLY OFE MANU HAVE THE NERVES TO TALK ABOUT OUTSIDE INFLUENCE ON IGBOS  undecided

SO ALL THE HAFZAT, MOSHOOD, HALIMA IBRAHIM, MUSILIU WEY FULL YORUBA NO BE ARABIC INFLUENCE?
MUSILU YORUBA LAND- SEE TITLE  undecided
FUJI MUSIC AND APALA WAS STARTED BY Yoruba MUSLIMS AS A WAY OF SINGING DURING THEIR EID-,

ABEG YOU 2ND CLASS ABOKIS SHOULD NOT BE TALKING ABOUT FOREIGN INFLUENCE, ABOKIS LIKE UNU

[/size]
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 10, 2011
^^^ 3 makes it all the better. grin Would be more entertaining if you guys all attack at once. Oh sweet!! kiss
How about we all meet here at a negotiated time tomorrow? In the afternoon preferably.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 6:30pm On Nov 10, 2011
Oldest fly-whisk found in Nigeria: Igbo Ukwu 9th-11th century.

[center][img]http://schools.nashua.edu/myclass/lavalleev/Art%20History%20Pictures/ch15/15-04.jpg[/img][/center]
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by nolongTing: 7:49pm On Nov 10, 2011
Nice pics and very entertaining comments tongue tongue
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by igboboy1(m): 9:45pm On Nov 10, 2011
I dont know why that benin prince went to the bush people of IFE 800years ago? now dem wan begin grow wings pass their master,

ofe manus should be greatful to the benin kingdom for bringing them out of bushness
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by PhysicsQED(m): 6:02am On Nov 11, 2011
@ Ezeagu

The oldest depiction of a fly whisk in Nigeria is a Nok terracotta.
There is an image of this terracotta on p. 71 of the book The Nok Culture: Art In Nigeria 2,500 Years Ago, edited by Gert Chesi and Gerhard Merzeder.

The caption on the figure is:

"Standing male figure with fly-whisk
H. 99 cm, 100 BC +/- 400 years
TL 02301104
Private collection"

And indeed the figure is holding a large fly whisk in his left hand and holding it over his shoulder. Flies have always been a problem, apparently.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 2:54am On Nov 16, 2011
cool
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 2:56am On Nov 16, 2011
cool
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ifyalways(f): 8:28pm On Nov 16, 2011
@Ak47man,In as much as I love the pics,I hope you have their permission to display it on here
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 8:38pm On Nov 16, 2011
ifyalways:

@Ak47man,In as much as I love the pics,I hope you have their permission to display it on here
don't worry i will take down some pixs soon i didn't post all the pixs i took that day for personal reason.

Nne remember this is OFALA is a global ceremony once you attend ofala you are about to be seen on T.V or photos but i get you i will take some down soon cool cool
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by adabeke12(f): 11:52pm On Mar 12, 2013
Ileke-IdI:
These pictures also shows how really selective some ppl are when they post pics of their town and compare it to Ibadan. One would think this took place in Ibadan, see the rooftops and surroundings undecided

u r mean ileke cheesy
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 11:54pm On Mar 12, 2013
anambra kwenu ! cheesy cheesy
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by adabeke12(f): 11:55pm On Mar 12, 2013
adaobi123: anambra kwenu ! cheesy cheesy

I bu onye anambra?
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 11:58pm On Mar 12, 2013
adabeke12:

I bu onye anambra?
yes o !! i be the correct anambra babe o !!! awka awka awka grin grin grin
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by adabeke12(f): 12:05am On Mar 13, 2013
adaobi123:
yes o !! i be the correct anambra babe o !!! awka awka awka grin grin grin

Lol cool
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ROYALD(m): 9:18pm On May 27, 2013
ezeagu: Oldest fly-whisk found in Nigeria: Igbo Ukwu 9th-11th century.

[center][img]http://schools.nashua.edu/myclass/lavalleev/Art%20History%20Pictures/ch15/15-04.jpg[/img][/center]
nice

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Aramide Shekinat Celebrates Her 40th Birthday / African Tribeswoman In Supermarket Wearing Goat Skins & Mud For Sunscreen (pix) / Oba Of Benin Banishes Chief Ogiugo After Cursing Him (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.