Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,809 members, 7,820,835 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:49 PM

Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony (63569 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:06am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:07am On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Where do you see wrappers? I see a man wearing Yoruba owambe's attire.  cool
Obv this thing dey hurt you so o. LOL Kilode? wetin dey shele?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/566289_OBI_OF_ONICHA_jpg84f477f709a7eecf18182c80dad9cf23

Yoruba boys

So you see the similarities between the pixs and Yorubas?

I like the acculturation  tho. Even modern Igbo women are dressing in tune with the Yoruba attires.  kiss kiss And I love it!
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:08am On Nov 09, 2011
More pix aka47man, I am loving what I am seeing kiss kiss
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by lakal(m): 3:14am On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke ma ja ile o, Ileke ma ja oko, Ileke o!  How many times did I call your name?

You are a troublemaker for real, smh.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:15am On Nov 09, 2011
lakal:

Isn't "yabasi" Igbo for onion?

The Yoruba and Igbo words for onion are derived from the Arabic "Al-basal."

But let's not digress, for real. I was really enjoying the thread, it seems like an eminent tradition, and one that is going strong in Onitsha.

Oh, one word aint acculturation, I'm talking changing peoples traditional attire, even their name sef.

Ileke-IdI:

Yoruba boys

So you see the similarities between the pixs and Yorubas?

Because Yoruba people invented white clothes.

Ileke-IdI:
I like the acculturation  tho. Even modern Igbo women are dressing in tune with the Yoruba attires.  kiss kiss And I love it!

Now she's coming for lace and ankara. Next it will be blouse and headtie, you know, all originated from Yoruba land.

Ileke-IdI:

Oba of Lagos

[img]http://4.bp..com/_bDcpR_wJ7hk/SrLLfrpxKSI/AAAAAAAABv8/8rpHnIWpntQ/s400/Adeyuika+Oyekan+II,+Oba+of+Lagos, jpg[/img]

Oba of London

[center][/center]

Borrow, borrow.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:18am On Nov 09, 2011
lakal:

Ileke ma ja ile o, Ileke ma ja oko, Ileke o!  How many times did I call your name?

You are a troublemaker for real, smh.

Is that so?

Where in Ekiti have you met passive women? And you call yourself an Ekiti man tongue

Honestly, stop being quiet, I see a lot of Yoruba traditional clothes in these pictures. Which makes them lovely. kiss kiss

I prefer seeing feathers in the carnivals tho tongue
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by lakal(m): 3:19am On Nov 09, 2011
ezeagu:

Oh, one word aint acculturation, I'm talking changing peoples traditional attire, even their name sef.

Because Yoruba people invented white clothes.

Now she's coming for lace and ankara. Next it will be blouse and headtie, you know, all originated from Yoruba land.

Oba of London

[center][/center]

Borrow, borrow.

O'boy, you are entering dangerous territory.  

Let's look at this festival.  The traditional clothing looks similar to other cultural groups' own, especially those of the Obi/Chiefs and a certain empire across the Niger. . .

"Onitsha Ado n'Idu."  I don't speak Igbo, so could you tell me what the "idu" in Onitsha means?  Because I believe I know, but I just want to be sure. . .
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:20am On Nov 09, 2011
I will be back when more pics are posted jor grin
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:20am On Nov 09, 2011
Or maybe it's because Odudwa was from Saudi Arabia?
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:21am On Nov 09, 2011
Lakal,the sword didnt originate from benin. In Idemmili,there an ancient masqurade called "AGABA",the Agaba holds that sword whenever it goes to burial and his entourage carries it too. One more thing; that masqurade Agaba originated from war triumph of Umunri. So,get ur facts right before u post.
Who told you that "george" originated from delta ?
90% of those cultures and traditions of delta Igbo originated from Nri. Capish?
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:24am On Nov 09, 2011
lakal:

O'boy, you are entering dangerous territory.  

Let's look at this festival.  The traditional clothing looks similar to other cultural groups' own, especially those of the Obi/Chiefs and a certain empire across the Niger. . .

"Onitsha Ado n'Idu."  I don't speak Igbo, so could you tell me what the "idu" in Onitsha means?  Because I believe I know, but I just want to be sure. . .

Bring up a picture of a Benin king and the only things that are similar with the chiefs (Ozo) and Obi are their corals and swords, everything else has a root in some Igbo culture, maybe except for some other minor details. Idu means Benin City, yes the Onicha clan migrated from Benin city. Yes they have cultural relics from Edo culture, such as some of their names and some other things. No, they are not acculturated clearly seeing from the fact that the Obi is supported by Ọzọ, an Nri establishment.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by lakal(m): 3:28am On Nov 09, 2011
ezeagu:

Bring up a picture of a Benin king and the only things that are similar with the chiefs (Ozo) and Obi are their corals and swords, everything else has a root in some Igbo culture, maybe except for some other minor details. Idu means Benin City, yes the Onicha clan migrated from Benin city. Yes they have cultural relics from Edo culture, such as some of their names and some other things. No, they are not acculturated clearly seeing from the fact that the Obi is supported by Ọzọ, an Nri establishment.

Excuse my unfamiliarity with al aspects of Igbo culture, but where else (except other parts of Western Igboland) do Igbo chiefs and obis wear the "Puffy" (for lack of a better term) type of wrapper that Benin chiefs and Oba wear?

[img]http://4.bp..com/_ytgJBaeUgnk/SSLYo4oMgJI/AAAAAAAAAE8/1uK-v9Zjm3U/s400/chief+and+dancers.jpg[/img]
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:29am On Nov 09, 2011
Could you two plz go back to discussing Yoruba, it was more interesting then
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by lakal(m): 3:36am On Nov 09, 2011
www.nairaland.com/attachments/566771_IGWE_ALFRED_jpgae7897c4cc0cd61de82f5d4cd35a36bd

^^ Look at this Onitsha chief and tell me the attire of the Benin chief above is not [b]very [/b]similar.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:37am On Nov 09, 2011
lakal:

Excuse my unfamiliarity with al aspects of Igbo culture, but where else  (except other parts of Western Igboland) do Igbo chiefs and obis wear the "Puffy" (for lack of a better term) type of wrapper that Benin chiefs and Oba wear?

[img]http://4.bp..com/_ytgJBaeUgnk/SSLYo4oMgJI/AAAAAAAAAE8/1uK-v9Zjm3U/s400/chief+and+dancers.jpg[/img]

I've never seen an Obi dressed like that, they usually dress in white or in generic clothing.

The most 'Benin-looking' king I've seen is that of Ogba (Eze Ogbah) or one of his chiefs.

[center][/center]

Apart from that all they wear from Benin is sometimes hat, the round coral, and the sword. Like here: http://www.ofaac.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106&Itemid=553

Asagba of Asaba:

[center][/center]

Obi of Onicha doesn't wear any of that apart from holding the sword.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:38am On Nov 09, 2011
lakal:

^^ Look at this Onitsha chief and tell me the attire of the Benin chief above is not [b]very [/b]similar.

If it was you would have backed it up with a picture.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:39am On Nov 09, 2011
lakal:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/566771_IGWE_ALFRED_jpgae7897c4cc0cd61de82f5d4cd35a36bd

You're having a convo with an ediot.

I'm liking your post keep it up.

You might want to define "influence" to him so that he can catch up.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:40am On Nov 09, 2011
Ewu calling somebody and "ediot", because I embarrassed it? When they should have respected themselves and moved to another thread?

[center][img]http://4.bp..com/-xL686_l7lWw/TZs3bhMxTGI/AAAAAAAAADI/LE9pHTVRvy8/s1600/mauritania.jpg[/img][/center]

Yoruba chiefs?
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:44am On Nov 09, 2011
TBH I thought this was a bini king for a minute. Until I saw the caribbean carnival feathers on his head. The Benin empire really expanded.

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by lakal(m): 3:44am On Nov 09, 2011
Sorry o, the guy I identified as a chief is the Obi of Onitsha.  No disrepect intended.  Another look at the Obi.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/566784_OBI_IN_HIS_THRONE_jpg5dd7eb6f18ba50a22834f521bcd2c9b4
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:47am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:47am On Nov 09, 2011
Somebody thought there was a Bini king parading at an Igbo festival. They only noticed the feathers later because they open the page from the bottom and scroll up, riiiiiiggghhhht. *hearbreak*
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:48am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ak47mann(m): 3:50am On Nov 09, 2011
ileke idi are you ok?
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:51am On Nov 09, 2011
ak47mann:

ileke idi are you ok?

Post more pictures before I send you back to the kitchen. kiss
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by lakal(m): 3:52am On Nov 09, 2011
^^ Ileke, the chief in red with the women next to him is a Benin chief, the Obasogie of Benin.  Just a point of correction.  I was merely comparing him to some of the attires at the Okpala festival.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:54am On Nov 09, 2011
Failure plus a certain poster are becoming inseparable. cry
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:54am On Nov 09, 2011
Lakal,let me keep ur mind straight here because I am from Idemmili who are the closest neighbor to onitsha people and the rightful owner of the land onitsha people live in today. That cloth the oba benin and obi of onitsha was wearing originated from idemmili which was an Nri offshoot,so,
My friend its not benin own because  Nri existed about 1000yrs before the benin found there first ogiso.
Secondly, if you look at the way Igbos wear their beads and compare it to the benins you will see a big difference. I have explained the sword,so,read my three previous post.
The only similarity I found was the way onitsha and benin women wear their wrapper. southeastern, are usually conservative and don't expose their upper body.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:55am On Nov 09, 2011
lakal:

^^ Ileke, the chief in red with the women next to him is a Benin chief, the Obasogie of Benin.  Just a point of correction.  I was merely comparing him to some of the attires at the Okpala festival.

Okies, they look like anioma women, that's why I got confused there kiss

An original beauty of Bini empire.

[img]http://glass4drops.files./2011/05/beads4.jpg?w=204&h=300[/img]

An Igbo girl ---> Bini influence

www.nairaland.com/attachments/527182_n723875450_3248905_2155_jpgb6f3a7b91dd7a766fc0466304fa70311
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:58am On Nov 09, 2011
"Got confused" or 'are confused'. See what envy and follow-follow caused. Internet uselessness. Again: we should have been respectful and kept things to ourselves, now shouldn't we?
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:59am On Nov 09, 2011
ezeagu:

"Got confused" or 'are confused'. See what envy and follow-follow caused. Internet uselessness.
Got confused is the properly term, dear. That's prolly why you dont understand what "influence" means cheesy

Lace ko cobra ni

Next time, wear an agbada and take a pix of yourself. bet you you'll atleast look decent a bit. Agbada is the way to go kiss
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 4:01am On Nov 09, 2011
I may not understand "influence", but I understand 'Islamic conquest' well. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

African Tribeswoman In Supermarket Wearing Goat Skins & Mud For Sunscreen (pix) / Oba Of Benin Banishes Chief Ogiugo After Cursing Him (Video) / Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Burial Photos, Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.