Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,158 members, 7,953,598 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:11 PM

Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony (64437 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:18am On Nov 09, 2011
Lakal, round of applause. You are such a disgusting gentleman!
You came over here and start spewing rubbish u knw nothing about.
You stated that the "fluffy" garment worn by the AGBOGIDI was of benin origin and I countered you on that one and explained to you that such attire is also worn by Idemmilis,but I didnt get any reaction.
U claimed the sword originated from benin and I told you that we also have it in Idemmili. Again, I didnt get ur response!
And all of a sudden u realized it doenst worth a discussion after you have discovered that your claims doesnt hold a drop of water!!!
Keep it moving,yaribo boy.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:19am On Nov 09, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

It has been proven to you that Agbada was not invented by the yorubas but you choose to be silly!! U better learn from your yoruba sister Tipia.

Who mentioned that agbada was "invented" by the Yorubas? Not one person invented agbada, different ideas from diff region pieced it together. Yorubas fashioned agbada to their taste. What you see in those pictures are prolly made by Yoruba tailors kiss

Oya, I want all these ld IDs to start coming out, you hear cheesy

Crayola1:

Well I'm not going to argue with someone who wants to make a point for the sake of talking:

http://www.adireafricantextiles.com/agbadainfo.htm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0438/is_2_35/ai_94010397/
http://www.bakareweate.com/texts/the%20agbada.pdf
http://books.google.com/books?id=zmKZ7-y4Q3gC&pg=PA100&dq=agbada+clothing&hl=en&ei=zAm6TpWXKMvAtgeezJWqBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CFIQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=agbada%20clothing&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=r_pUDOWOB7MC&pg=PT64&dq=agbada+clothing&hl=en&ei=zAm6TpWXKMvAtgeezJWqBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CFcQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=agbada%20clothing&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=Q_lCFcabj0MC&pg=PA59&dq=agbada+clothing&hl=en&ei=Qwq6Ts2nJcGTtwfi342iBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDcQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=agbada%20clothing&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=1u4EAQAAIAAJ&q=agbada+clothing&dq=agbada+clothing&hl=en&ei=Qwq6Ts2nJcGTtwfi342iBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBDgK

Yes, the Yoruba adopted the dress around the same time of the Jihads of Uman Dan Fodio, so yes they "borrowed" the style of dressing from others, put their own spin on it of course.

If you like you can prove me wrong with your own facts and documentation.

But if you rather continue with your chest thumping [size=18pt]let me not stop you [/size]kiss

I have no horse in this race, but I detest unnecessary noise making,  

Try not to.

More pixs plz kiss kiss
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:22am On Nov 09, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Lakal, round of applause. You are such a disgusting gentleman!
You came over here and start spewing rubbish u knw nothing about.
You stated that the "fluffy" garment worn by the AGBOGIDI was of benin origin and I countered you on that one and explained to you that such attire is also worn by Idemmilis,but I didnt get any reaction.
U claimed the sword originated from benin and I told you that we also have it in Idemmili. Again, I didnt get your response!
And all of a sudden u realized it doenst worth a discussion after you have discovered that your claims doesnt hold a drop of water!!!
Keep it moving,yaribo boy.

No need to insult when you've been beaten by simple logic kiss
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:28am On Nov 09, 2011
BTW, I love how the Hausas "copied" gele from Yorubas.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 6:30am On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Who mentioned that agbada was "invented" by the Yorubas? Not one person invented agbada, different ideas from diff region pieced it together. Yorubas fashioned agbada to their taste. What you see in those pictures are prolly made by Yoruba tailors kiss

Oya, I want all these ld IDs to start coming out, you hear cheesy

Try not to.

More pixs plz kiss kiss

Lol

[img]http://4.bp..com/-JECHcrzu65w/TmZ05xToTSI/AAAAAAAAAgc/dQwpoVWnpW8/s1600/bros.jpg[/img]

So what is the noise then, the Agbada no more belongs to the Yoruba than anyone else lmao Jesus the stuff people waste good bandwidth on  grin

Well you are the curio and historian of fashion of Nigeria shouldn't it be you who does the posting lmao

Of course now, I wouldn't want to spoil the good fun of the young boys and girls that frequent Nairaland  grin
Troll away my friend  cool
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:31am On Nov 09, 2011
Crayola1:

Lol

[img]http://4.bp..com/-JECHcrzu65w/TmZ05xToTSI/AAAAAAAAAgc/dQwpoVWnpW8/s1600/bros.jpg[/img]

So what is the noise then, the Agbada no more belongs to the Yoruba than anyone else lmao Jesus the stuff people waste good bandwidth on  grin

Well you are the curio and historian of fashion of Nigeria shouldn't it be you who does the posting lmao

Of course now, I wouldn't want to spoil the good fun of the young boys and girls that frequent Nairaland  grin
Troll away my friend  cool

You still trying to stop me, bro? grin
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 6:32am On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

No need to insult when you've been beaten by simple logic kiss

I thought we were all for multiculturalism? You borrowed from them, why not give back, its the least you can do  grin
The simple solution to the problem is go into purdah and guard you fashion from thieves or strip naked, though of course that look has been copied so many times unfortunately grin
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:33am On Nov 09, 2011
Have the pictures finished?

mba!!

Lovely acculturation from different tribes in these pictures: Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo and Bini. But mostly Yoruba if you take away the carnival feathers.  kiss
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:34am On Nov 09, 2011
Crayola1:

I thought we were all for multiculturalism?

You thought right kiss

Crayola1:

I thought we were all for multiculturalism? You borrowed from them, why not give back, its the least you can do  grin
The simple solution to the problem is go into purdah and guard you fashion from thieves or strip Unclad, though of course that look has been copied so many times unfortunately grin

Oh dear, you re-edited and added more.
grin
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 6:35am On Nov 09, 2011
Well I do hope you give credit where credit is due of course from Nigeria's Northern friends who were kind enough to pass it onto your people of course wink
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:36am On Nov 09, 2011
Crayola1:

Well I do hope you give credit where credit is due of course from Nigeria's Northern friends who were kind enough to pass it onto your people of course wink

Plz re-edit and add 5 more lines for the sake of it grin
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 09, 2011
Multiculturalism. Lovely thing, aint it kiss

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 09, 2011
Wow, more interesting ones will be back so that we can go off topic again. kiss
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 6:44am On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Plz re-edit and add 5 more lines for the sake of it grin

Well as they say "The truth hurts" lmao no wonder you are looking through my posts for a guiding light lol
I'm not Ouija board you know?! You wont find a hidden message in my posts if you circle the first letter of every sentence grin
I am a fan of fact though, and for revisionists and trolls who have nothing better to do but score points, they have to fall back on humor and jokes because BS rarely every stands up for very long  kiss

So I thank you for adding yourself among my collection of fans, I will continue to dazzle you with my "magic"
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:45am On Nov 09, 2011
Crayola1:

Well as they say "The truth hurts" lmao no wonder you are looking through my posts for a guiding light lol
I'm not Ouija board you know?! You wont find a hidden message in my posts if you circle the first letter of every sentence grin
I am a fan of fact though, and for revisionists and trolls who have nothing better to do but score points, they have to fall back on humor and jokes because BS rarely every stands up for very long  kiss

[size=18pt]So I thank you for adding yourself among my collection of fans, I will continue to dazzle you with my "magic"
[/size]

You're welcome, plz do come back when more pictures are posted. I'll definitely will be here between the hours of 5-8pm. kiss
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:46am On Nov 09, 2011
^^^ Hours can definitely be extended if need be. I'm also usually on Politics section, I need a fan there too.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 6:46am On Nov 09, 2011
Anyway, the ceremony looks very nice, it would be nice if Nigeria harness its cultural diversity to open up another avenue of revenue in the nation. Anything that lessens the dependence of oil to support the country is a plus in my book smiley
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:48am On Nov 09, 2011
Crayola1:

Anyway, the ceremony looks very nice, it would be nice if Nigeria harness its cultural diversity to open up another avenue of revenue in the nation. Anything that lessens the dependence of oil to support the country is a plus in my book smiley

They sure do, dont tho. esp with the Yoruba influence. I love the lace cuts.
I'd say the horse tail is also a Yoruba influence too, but will need to check more on that. I know that it was the Yoruba oba's thing to carry horsetail as a sign of royalty.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 6:51am On Nov 09, 2011
So when facts come out that it was borrowed and re-borrowed again, I do hope your song doesn't get a second chorus and fourth verse lol I always wonder for someone who claims the superiority of their ethnic group, you are looking quite petty now cool

Ileke-IdI:

^^^ Hours can definitely be extended if need be. I'm also usually on Politics section, I need a fan there too.

So after roaming the streets you come home to do "real work" lmao
I can't say I've seen you in the politics section though, I have head if a mad woman that claims crazy for sense, you wouldn't be familiar with her would you?  

Anyway, I have fan letters that need mailing now, I suggest you close of that defunct thing you call a "fan club" and get serious lol
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:55am On Nov 09, 2011
Crayola1:

Anyway, I have fan letters that need mailing now, I suggest you close of that defunct thing you call a "fan club" and get serious lol

So you're no longer a fan? Mehn, that was short.

nywaz, it'd be interesting to find out how horsetail reached other part of Nigeria. It's usually in every Oba's picture. Havent seen it in any Bini's king picture

[img]http://4.bp..com/_3LhPdlP4_fw/TAzl3F8tGRI/AAAAAAAAAD4/ReZLl0Anj7E/s320/bini+oba.JPG[/img]
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 6:56am On Nov 09, 2011
Crayola1:

So when facts come out that it was borrowed and re-borrowed again, I do hope your song doesn't get a second chorus and fourth verse lol I always wonder for someone who claims the superiority of their ethnic group, you are looking quite petty now cool

So after roaming the streets you come home to do "real work" lmao
I can't say I've seen you in the politics section though, I have head if a mad woman that claims crazy for sense, you wouldn't be familiar with her would you?  

Oh dear, una fit vex for here o grin

Borrowed re-borrowed and borrowed again grin The cycle just never stops
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 6:58am On Nov 09, 2011
^^
Well you were swearing that Yoruba people were the source of all things agbada in nature now grin
No not really, I don't get annoyed by Nairaland folks, I find many quite amusing to say the least cool I wouldn't flatter yourself too much, every circus has clowns grin
Well in this life no one has original claim to anything, everything is borrowed and re-borrowed, but we can go with your opinion that that the Sun rises and sets in your part of the world, a bit egotistical? No? cool

Ileke-IdI:

So you're no longer a fan? Mehn, that was short.

nywaz, it'd be interesting to find out how horsetail reached other part of Nigeria. It's usually in every Oba's picture. Havent seen it in any Bini's king picture

[img]http://4.bp..com/_3LhPdlP4_fw/TAzl3F8tGRI/AAAAAAAAAD4/ReZLl0Anj7E/s320/bini+oba.JPG[/img]

Well not much to be a fan of in the first place wink If I want vapid airheads, there is always pop music and reality tv for that. No need to follow a faceless entity.

I'm glad you've moved on to more sensible things, I guess some dogs can learn new tricks  cool
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 7:00am On Nov 09, 2011
Crayola (my #1 fan (She's my fan, to make it less confusing), ezeagu, Nri Priest and the rest plz join us tomorrow as we continue this discussion of a wonder Ofala ceremony. Discussion will be continued from where I left off: Yoruba's traditional horsetail.

No need to vex ppl, just appreciating wonderful multiculturalism. This thread na real wazobia!
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 7:05am On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Crayola (my #1 fan (She's my fan, to make it less confusing), ezeagu, Nri Priest and the rest plz join us tomorrow as we continue this discussion of a wonder Ofala ceremony.

No need to vex ppl, just appreciating wonderful multiculturalism. This thread na real wazobia!

Wow, lord people just claim fans left and right, now I know how the Justin Biebers and Beyonces of the world feel, fans start thinking they know you on a personal level

If you don't here back from me folks I'm probably being kidnapped and carried off to Ileke-Idi's shrine in my honor shocked

Well if you had acted like a reasonable person and talked about multiculturalism, instead of looking for "pity cool points" I might have not turned down your offer to lick the stamps for my fan mail kiss

Good night fans, friends, and haters of course cool
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 7:12am On Nov 09, 2011
Yea, I came back for something else. .  . . forgot to mention sth.

I sincerely love the yoruba agbada on page 5, real exquisite. you dont really get that texture from the Hausa tailors. The one wearing white agbada in the middle kiss
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 7:16am On Nov 09, 2011

That's why one must invest in a good pair of hater blockers:

Limiting your exposure to hateritis is always a must cool
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 09, 2011
Crayola1:

That's why one must invest in a good pair of hater blockers:

Limiting your exposure to hateritis is always a must cool

Funny, I love these ones too

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 09, 2011
They just never stop tongue

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 09, 2011
Now seriously, gotta sleep now. . . . too much hating loving haters hating lovers.

Let's continue tomorrow jare.  kiss  Signed out! kiss
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 7:24am On Nov 09, 2011
You rest up now, you have a full day of hating and trolling to attend to.
I want you to be on your "A" game cool
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 09, 2011
Crayola1:

You rest up now, you have a full day of hating and trolling to attend to.
I want you to be on your "A" game cool

Now this is how I now you're my #1 fan.  grin
Not signing out again?
Ok, I'll sign out now, I might pop back in just to watch you pop back here.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Crayola1: 7:41am On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Now this is how I now you're my #1 fan.  grin
Not signing out again?
Ok, I'll sign out now, I might pop back in just to watch you pop back here.
I was only suggesting and giving friendly tips, if you must hate one must do it properly for its full effect wink

That sounds like fan-like behavior lol
I will make an appearance just for you kiss I cannot deprive my adoring public kiss

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Shadrach Erebulu, Adou: "I Don’t Allow Women To Wear Trousers In My Palace" / Olori Badirat Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo's Youngest Wife, Slays In New Photos / Meet Aare Boluwatife Akin-Olugbade: Owner Of 10 Rolls-Royces (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.