Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony (63546 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:16am On Nov 09, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Ileke Idi, [b]the agbada you are refering to was invented by the Hausa but its the Yorubas borrowed it [/b]and made it famous among themselve. Though the Igbos wear it sometime but not as much as Yorubas do. As far as we know those men could be from Igala or Idoma kingdoms,so,till then those men aint from ya place. Inugo ?
I've yet to see any facts about the bolded that you guys are throwing around. The Hausa did not invent agbadas, dear.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 2:19am On Nov 09, 2011
"Agabada" is borrowed clothing from the Islamized Songhai/Ghana Empire who were influenced by Arab clothing. Fact.

Its origin lies with the clothing worn by the Islamized Tukulor, Mandé and Songhai peoples of the historic 8th Century Takrur and Ghana Empires, and 13th Century Mali and Songhai Empires, (See Bisht and Kaftan for information on these).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boubou_(clothing)

I guess the Yoruba are wearing other peoples clothing.

Lesson learnt: don't show your ass by diving head first into insults.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:23am On Nov 09, 2011
ezeagu:

"Agabada" is borrowed clothing from the Islamized Songhai/Ghana Empire who were influenced by Arab clothing. Fact.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boubou_(clothing)

I guess the Yoruba are wearing other peoples clothing.

Lesson learnt: don't show your ass by diving head first into insults.

From Wikipedia? Dude, plzzz.

Agbada was neither created by the Hausa or Yoruba, but it was popularize and better fashioned by the Yorubas.

That said, those two in the pixs looks like Yoruba obas. . . .
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 2:25am On Nov 09, 2011
Whatever, whether they better fashioned it or laced it with gold, it is borrowed fashion, therefore they look like Isamized Africans, specifically from Mali and Mauritania, the origin of "Agbada".
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:26am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:27am On Nov 09, 2011
ezeagu:

Whatever, whether they better fashioned it or laced it with gold, it is borrowed fashion, therefore they look like Isamized Africans, specifically from Mali and Mauritania, the origin of "Agbada".

How exactly is this supposed to change my earlier statement?

Ileke-IdI:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/566913_1234_jpg57c3eae8259bf9f5f78a41f2874fb26c

Loooks like Yoruba kings.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 2:30am On Nov 09, 2011
The people in the Onicha photo look nothing like those in the second picture because 1. they're not wearing lace, 2. they're not holding fly-whisks in the second picture, and 3. the Onicha photo clothing is much richer.

The origin of "Agabda":

[center][/center]
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:32am On Nov 09, 2011
ezeagu:

The people in the Onicha photo look nothing like those in the second picture because 1. they're not wearing lace, 2. they're not holding fly-whisks, and 3. the Onicha photo clothing is much richer.

The origin of "Agabda":

[center][/center]

I'm going to let you continue denying what you see in that pixs.

BTW, A simple Yoruba lesson; agbada's arent only made of lace. Yorubas have extended that aspect of agbada.

Abeg, more pictures.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 2:35am On Nov 09, 2011
Extended, remixed, refashioned, replaced, revamped < Islamic Origin.

NRI PRIEST:

Though the Igbos wear it sometime but not as much as Yorubas do.

But the Igbo have not adopted it like others, it isn't seen like traditional clothing. Igbo people aren't Islamized.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:35am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 2:36am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:38am On Nov 09, 2011
^^^ Dont let the thing hurt you too much nau. I like that the Igbos are adopting the Yoruba/Hausa/Islamic attires during traditional ceremony. Shows religious and cultural expansion.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:39am On Nov 09, 2011
www.nairaland.com/attachments/566289_OBI_OF_ONICHA_jpg84f477f709a7eecf18182c80dad9cf23

Seriously, the one on the right looks he's going to a Yoruba's owanbe party. Yoruba attire. I'm liking this acculturation.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 2:39am On Nov 09, 2011
[center][/center]

Does anyone know what even this was? Seeing as he's wearing less formal clothing as the last.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 2:45am On Nov 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Seriously, the one on the right looks he's going to a Yoruba's owanbe party. Yoruba attire. I'm liking this acculturation.

Yoruba men wear wrappers to Owambe now? Everything borrowed?

Formal national attire, much more professional, as can be seen. Non of that conquered-African stuff:

[center]
[img]http://1.bp..com/_cIW44Bimg1A/S8kkxn9rRlI/AAAAAAAAAtI/XzMsnjrrXkg/s1600/GoodluckJonathanArrivesAmerica.jpg[/img]
[/center]
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:48am On Nov 09, 2011
ezeagu:

Yoruba men wear wrappers to Owambe now? Everything borrowed?

Formal national attire, much more professional, as can be seen. Non of that conquered-African stuff:

Where do you see wrappers? I see a man wearing Yoruba owambe's attire.  cool
Obv this thing dey hurt you so o. LOL Kilode? wetin dey shele?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/566289_OBI_OF_ONICHA_jpg84f477f709a7eecf18182c80dad9cf23
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by lakal(m): 2:50am On Nov 09, 2011
Everyone borrows, and it's not suggesting that one group is inferior if adopts the attire of another.  

Agbada from the Sahelian regions to Western and Northern Nigeria
"George"  from the Delta to much of Southern Nigeria.
Edo wrappers/swords to the Aniomas and Onitshas.

The attire of the Onitsha people pictured here is great and an example of a rich cultural heritage.  It appears identical to the attire I have seen in Anioma festivities (akwa ocha, coral beads, oto-ogwu), and has similarities with the Edo people.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:52am On Nov 09, 2011
lakal:

Everyone borrows, and it's not suggesting that one group is inferior if adopts the attire of another.  

Agbada from the Sahelian regions to Western and Northern Nigeria
"George"  from the Delta to much of Southern Nigeria.
Edo wrappers/swords to the Aniomas and Onitshas.

The attire of the Onitsha people pictured here is great and an example of a rich cultural heritage.  It appears identical to the attire I have seen in Anioma festivities (akwa ocha, coral beads, oto-ogwu), and has similarities with the Edo people.

LOL He's just saying it because he dey vex.

cheesy
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 2:53am On Nov 09, 2011
What was exactly meant to hurt me? Borrowed Islamic clothing from Fulani conquests, or the fact that the "Agbada" you were bragging about earlier was revealed to have originated hundreds of miles away from Yorubaland proving your Islamic "acculturation" that has already happened hundreds of years ago. grin
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:54am On Nov 09, 2011
I know it must have bruised your heart very badly to know tha omo Igbo aint copying anybodys attire and to know that no single yoruba attire was witnessed there! Am sure you must have wished the above attire were of the yorubas and not Igbos!! Here is my advice; keep dreaming,fool.

On the yoruba Obas pix u posted; if my logic works fine for me, I will have to conclude that yoruba obas dont have a kingly attire of yoruba origin!!!
The hat ooni was wearing belongs to the hausas. The agbada was borrowed from hausa and their sahelian cousins!!! Go get ur own,ileke.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 2:56am On Nov 09, 2011
The exit is this way, leave quietly. grin
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:57am On Nov 09, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

I know it must have bruised your heart very badly to know tha omo Igbo aint copying anybodys attire and to know that no single yoruba attire was witnessed there! Am sure you must have wished the above attire were of the yorubas and not Igbos!! Here is my advice; keep dreaming,fool.

On the yoruba Obas pix u posted; if my logic works fine for me, I will have to conclude that yoruba obas dont have a kingly attire of yoruba origin!!!

The hat ooni was wearing belongs to the hausas. The agbada was borrowed from hausa and their sahelian cousins!!! Go get your own,ileke.

They do. But they dont wear their kingly attires to every social events. Mehn, you ppl are so uneducated about Yoruba kings.
One even said their attire are made out of lace or that they have no white horsetail.

Modern Yoruba kinds dont wear their royal attires all the time.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 2:59am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by lakal(m): 2:59am On Nov 09, 2011
I think most Yorubas who are educated are aware of elements of Islamic acculturation within the general culture. Even for those of us who are Christians.

Hell, the words for:

peace (alaafia)
Thursday (alamisi)
Friday (jimoh)
usefulness (anfani)
onion (alubosa)
secret (ashiri)

among many are all Arabic words.

But the Igbo word for onion seems to have come from Arabic too, una sef dey acculturate small cheesy
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:00am On Nov 09, 2011
The
Ileke-IdI:

Yoruba king

[img]http://www./wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/oba11.jpg[/img]

Another Grand bou-bou? Chai!
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:00am On Nov 09, 2011

Depending on where you are in Yorubaland, the attire may change.
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:02am On Nov 09, 2011
lakal:

But the Igbo word for onion seems to have come from Arabic too, una sef dey acculturate small cheesy

What are the words?
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:03am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by Nobody: 3:04am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:04am On Nov 09, 2011
Yoruba king?

[center][/center]
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by ezeagu(m): 3:05am On Nov 09, 2011
??

[center]
[/center]
Re: Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony by lakal(m): 3:05am On Nov 09, 2011
ezeagu:

What are the words?

Isn't "yabasi" Igbo for onion?

The Yoruba and Igbo words for onion are derived from the Arabic "Al-basal."

But let's not digress, for real. I was really enjoying the thread, it seems like an eminent tradition, and one that is going strong in Onitsha.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

African Tribeswoman In Supermarket Wearing Goat Skins & Mud For Sunscreen (pix) / Oba Of Benin Banishes Chief Ogiugo After Cursing Him (Video) / Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Burial Photos, Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.