Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,616 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' (69281 Views)

Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Nobody: 5:01pm On Dec 17, 2017
BBC really goofed on this one.
First of all I reject the concept of "oral history", that is no history at all. That is the only way people manage to rewrite history: by claiming that their story is oral history. The "oral history' of Jule Cesar claimed that he descended from the Gods.
Nobody from ife taucht the Edo how to make their bronz, and what exactly in that bronz statue of a man on a horse tells you that it is that of an ife man coming to Benin to teach bronz casting ?
This is clear fraud. Unserious work.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by rhektor(m): 9:45am On Dec 19, 2017
exotik:

wot does this name mean in yoruba? this sounds edoid to me.

more like a corruption of osanaga obamekhin

meaning

osanaga -- the god to serve
obamekhin -- i am the king

so it would be nice to know the yoruba meaning.

Osangangan = noon

Obamakin = king know bravery (king is brave)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Olu317(m): 1:00pm On Dec 19, 2017
rhektor:

Osangangan = noon

Obamakin = king know bravery (king is brave)
The ancient Yoruba is very archaic. Going by the the conceptualization of the name, the breakdown from my understanding could be : Osangangan = Osa-ngan - gan = Real / Authentic Lord/God.
Osan gan gan= Authentic noon brightness
Obamakin =Oba-m-Akin = My lord/King is brave or My brave king.

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Amujale(m): 11:05pm On Jan 31, 2020
It's a common misconception to suggest that the Nile Valley civilisation influenced the Ife one.

All the evidence suggest that civilisation moved up the Nile.

That is to say, according to African history, Ife are one of the Nubian civilisations that found and influenced Ancient Egypt.

It's important to note that the reference made to 'Nubian' in the above context, is a direct replacement for the term blacksic as used in the current process of social engineering.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 3:55pm On Feb 01, 2020
Amujale:
It's a common misconception to suggest that the Nile Valley civilisation influenced the Ife one.

All the evidence suggest that civilisation moved up the Nile.

That is to say, according to African history, Ife are one of the Nubian civilisations that found and influenced Ancient Egypt.

Interesting I never ever heard of any connection between Ife and Nile valley civilization.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Amujale(m): 6:37pm On Feb 01, 2020
anonymous6:

Interesting I never ever heard of any connection between Ife and Nile valley civilization.

That's probably due to the constant misinformation that Asia and Europe are currently embarking upon.

Below is the depiction of a Yoruba ruler.

anonymous6:

The Ife Head

http://www.creativetourist.com/features/inspired-by-the-ife-head

The above depiction is local to Nigeria and emphasises a 'Sun' God in Ancient Egyptian culture.

The connection is without doubt, however, eventhough Nigeria might be young, the people arent.

The communities in Nigeria all predate the building of Ancient Egypt.

The Yoruba culture as well as other Nigerian and West African cultural identity is predominate in the North East of our continent.

There's also a huge library of language and linguistic analysis as well as archeological proof.

It's important to note that both Asian and European historians have a systematic biased towards the African.

Therefore, any significant discovery regarding our history is often intentionally downplayed, obscured, basterdised to a shocking and alarming extent by foreign historians looking to peddle a falsified version of history that best fits into their own agenda.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 8:40pm On Feb 01, 2020
Amujale:

That's probably due to the constant misinformation that Asia and Europe are currently embarking upon.

Below is the depiction of a Yoruba ruler.

The above depiction is local to Nigeria and emphasises a 'Sun' God in Ancient Egyptian culture.

The connection is without doubt, however, eventhough Nigeria might be young, the people arent.

The communities in Nigeria all predate the building of Ancient Egypt.

The Yoruba culture as well as other Nigerian and West African cultural identity is predominate in the North East of our continent.

There's also a huge library of language and linguistic analysis as well as archeological proof.

It's important to note that both Asian and European historians have a systematic biased towards the African.

Therefore, any significant discovery regarding our history is often intentionally downplayed, obscured, basterdised to a shocking and alarming extent by foreign historians looking to peddle a falsified version of history that best fits into their own agenda..

I agree until recently the only continental African culture they cared about was Egyptian culture and that’s why I always promised myself that I will make sure that I passed this down to my future children when they are young the truth about the tribal cultures in Nigeria before Nigeria existed. If we don’t who will.

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Amujale(m): 2:05am On Feb 02, 2020
anonymous6:

I agree until recently the only continental African culture they cared about was Egyptian culture and that’s why I always promised myself that I will make sure that I passed this down to my future children when they are young the truth about the tribal cultures in Nigeria before Nigeria existed. If we don’t who will.

Good on you.

I agree with your approach of teaching the younger ones regarding true history.

And as you say, if we don't who will.

You're correct about Egypt and very generous with your summation.

However, the Arabian fundamentalist and Eurocentric warmongers have been pillaging North East of the continent for over thousands of years.

The importance of history is multifacted.

We all ought to start teaching our younger ones true history.

Africa predates Asia.

Africa predates Europe.

Asaba people predate Mungo Park in years that will amount in their hundreds of thousands.

When that liar and faker called Mungo Park claimed to have discovered the Niger River, they ought to have asked him who was his tour guides. Did he or didnt he have Nigerian marine as guiding him.

Not one mention of a Nigerian in his version of history.

Mungo Park did not discover the Niger River, Nigerians did.

Mungo Park was one of the first known Eurocentric explorers to realise that rivers have tributaries and can maintain itself in a multinational surroundings. Most Africans already knew this.

That's all that African history records that he did.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Amujale(m): 2:27am On Feb 02, 2020
BBC really goofed on this one.
First of all I reject the concept of "oral history", that is no history at all. That is the only way people manage to rewrite history: by claiming that their story is oral history. The "oral history' of Jule Cesar claimed that he descended from the Gods.

Not at all, you've gotten it wrong here.

History begins in Africa.

That is to say, African history is the standard by which all other ideologies or concepts are derived and seek to emulate.

However, i would go further and say, one needs to put things into their proper perspective.

Firstly, one needs to put things back into their proper perspective, African history has always been both Oral and Written for as long as any one can remember, it became predominately oral due to persecution from foreign extreemist ideologies. i.e Christianity, Islam

There are countless proof of senseless carnage demonstrated by both Christianity and Islam whereby they lost all their senses and began to persecute and burn any literature that wasnt relative to the fakery and falsehood in Abrahamic religious text.

Secondly, Apart from our undeniable influence on European literacy, their beginning of becoming literate can as well be traced backed to the Odyssey.

Anyone who knows about that Greek 'body of work', would know that the book originates from an oral tradition about the main Greek character known as Odysseus.

Furthermore, Africans discovered the concept of literacy thousands of years before either Asia or Europe had inhabittants.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 3:04am On Feb 02, 2020
Amujale:

Good on you.

I agree with your approach of teaching the younger ones regarding true history.

And as you say, if we don't who will.

You're correct about Egypt and very generous with your summation.

However, the Arabian fundamentalist and Eurocentric warmongers have been pillaging North East of the continent for over thousands of years.

The importance of history is multifacted.

We all ought to start teaching our younger ones true history.

Africa predates Asia.

Africa predates Europe.

Asaba people predate Mungo Park in years that will amount in their hundreds of thousands.

When that liar and faker called Mungo Park claimed to have discovered the Niger River, they ought to have asked him who was his tour guides. Did he or didnt he have Nigerian marine as guiding him.

Not one mention of a Nigerian in his version of history.

Mungo Park did not discover the Niger River, Nigerians did.

Mungo Park was one of the first known Eurocentric explorers to realise that rivers have tributaries and can maintain itself in a multinational surroundings. Most Africans already knew this.

That's all that African history records that he did.

You are right about Northeast Africa cause just look at how Sudan & Horn of Africa have been affected. Thanks for telling me about Mungo Park, I'm going to read up about him. The thing about people like him is that even his peers know better but wouldn't have asked him if a Nigerian helped him cause of racist and ignorant mentalities they definitely had then, so he must have been comfortable enough that nobody would question him on his claims.

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Amujale(m): 3:48am On Feb 02, 2020
anonymous6:

You are right about Northeast Africa cause just look at how Sudan & Horn of Africa have been affected. Thanks for telling me about Mungo Park, I'm going to read up about him. The thing about people like him is that even his peers know better but wouldn't have asked him if a Nigerian helped him cause of racist and ignorant mentalities they definitely had then, so he must have been comfortable enough that nobody would question him on his claims.

True.

Plus, who is Mungo Park?

What relevance is Mungo Parks unexpected finding of an awesome river to does with anything.

What is a name such as Mungo Park doing in African history.

My friends great grand dad occasional went for a swim in the Niger River, now that's a relevant story.

Mungo Park and his expedition in search for a rainbow isnt the business of the African.

Such should be confined into the history from where he came.

To go and report back to his bosses, hey guys! check out the awesome Niger River that i unexpectedly found in Nigeria.

Most historians are aware that Mungo Parks wasnt even the first explorer to find the River Niger, again in those days they try to contaminate history with those type of frivolous claims and constructs.

According to African history, the first explorers was all fellow Africans that would often be dealing in various kinds of trading and intracontinental commerce i.e to and fro Niger River - Nile River

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 4:01am On Feb 02, 2020
Amujale:

True.

Plus, who is Mungo Park?

What relevance is Mungo Parks unexpected finding of an awesome river to does with anything.

What is a name such as Mungo Park doing in African history.

My friends great grand dad occasional went for a swim in the Niger River, now that's a relevant story.

Mungo Park and his expedition in search for a rainbow isnt the business of the African.

True lol, I just find his story funny

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Oba Elegushi’s 2nd Wife, Hadiza Steps Into The Palace 6 Months After Wedding / Masquerade, Ajeron, Cleanses Ajegunle Of Coronavirus (Photos) / Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.