Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,889 members, 7,956,352 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:30 AM

BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' (70552 Views)

Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Rossikk(m): 6:30pm On Dec 11, 2011
Emmatok said:

“The Yoruba history begins with the migration of an east African population across the trans-African route leading from Mid-Nile river area to the Mid-Niger. Archaeologists, according to M. Omoleya, inform us that the Nigerian region was inhabited more than forty thousand years ago, or as far back as 65,000BC. During this period, the Nok culture occupied the region. The Nok culture was visited by the “Yoruba people”, between 2000BC and 500BC. This group of people was led, according to Yoruba historical accounts by king Oduduwa, who settled peacefully in the already established Ile-Ife, the sacred city of the indigenous Nok people.

This time period is known as the Bronze Age, a time of high civilization of both of these groups. According to Olumide J. Lucas, “the Yoruba, during antiquity, lived in ancient Egypt before migrating to the Atlantic coast”. He uses as demonstration the similarity or identity of languages, religious beliefs, customs and names of persons, places and things. In addition, many ancient papyri discovered by archaeologists point at an Egyptian origin. (Tariqh Sawandi: Yorubic medicine: The Art of divine herbology – online article).

Ademoyega commented that the Ekiti section of the Yorubas must have migrated to their present area around 638AD when the Muslims took over Egypt and forced some of the Yoruba people to migrate to their present area.

So, we see that the Yoruba did not come in one migration, but in many different migrations – in waves. The first possible migration might be connected with the Hyksos invasion. Some words in the Yoruban vocabulary echo the words used in Egypt in predynastic times and in the early dynastic periods. Some Egyptian gods of this period have strong identities with Yoruban deities. For instance, gods such as Adumu (Adumu) Hepi (Ipi) Ausar (Ausa), Horise (Orise), and Sámi (Sámi) Nam (Inama) are present in Yoruba. All these gods existed in the pre-dynastic and early dynastic periods of Egypt. TODAY, AMONG THE ITSEKIRI-YORUBAS ,THESE GODS CAN STILL BE PHYSICALLY SEEN, AT LEAST, ONCE A YEAR! Neighbouring peoples are already initiated into the various gods systems and beliefs in yorubaland.the agban ancestral worship was first organized in Urhoboland during the funeral ceremony of chief Ayomanor of Sapele (1949). The Ipi system was first organized in Urhoboland in March 11, 2005,

EGYPT YORUBA
1. Wu (rise) Wu (rise)
2. Ausa (Osiris, father of the gods) Ausa (father)
3. Ere (python/ Serpent) Ere (Python / Serpent)
4. Horise (a great god) Orise (a great god)
5. Sen (group of worshippers) Sen ( to worship)
6. Ged (to chant0 Igede (a chant)
7. Ta (sell / offer) Ta (sell/offer)
8. Sueg (a fool) Suegbe (a fool)
9. On ( living person) One ( living person)
10. Kum (a club) Kumo( a club)
11. Enru (fear / terrible) Eru (fear / terrible
12. Kun / qun (brave man) Ekun (title of a brave man)
13. Win (to be) Wino (to be)
14. Odonit (festival) Odon (festival)
15. Ma or mi (to breath) Mi. (to breathe)
16. Tebu (a town) Tebu (a town)
17. Adumu (a water god) Adumu (a water god)
18. Khu (to kill) Ku (die)
19. Rekha (knowledge} Larikha (knowledge)
20 Hika (evil) Ika (evil)
21 Mhebi (humble) Mebi, humble to ones family
22 Sata (perfect) Santan (perfect)
23 Unas (lake of fire) Una (fire)
24 Tan (complete) Tan (complete)
25 Beru (force of emotion) Beru (fear)
26 Em (smell) Emi (smell)
27 Pa (open) Pa (break open)
28 Bi (to become) Bi (to give birth, to become)
29 Hepi (a water god) Ipi (a water god)
30 Sami (water god) Sami (a water god)
31 Osiri (a water god) Oshiri (a water god)
32 Heqet – Re (frog deity) Ekere (the frog)
33 Feh (to go away) Feh (to blow away)
34 Kot (build) Ko (build)
35 Kot (boat) Oko (boat)
36 Omi (water) Omi (water)
37 Ra (time) Ira (time)
38 Oni (title of Osiris) Oni (title of the king of Ife)
39 Budo (dwelling place) Budo (dwelling place)
40 Dudu (black image of Osiris) Dudu (black person)
41 Un (living person) Una (living person)
42 Ra (possess) Ra (possess/buy)
43 Beka (pray/confess) Be or ka (to pray or confess)
44 Po (many) Po (many/cheap)
45 Horuw (head) middle Egyptian Oruwo (head) (Ijebu)
46 Min (a god) Emin (spirit)
47 Ash (invocation) Ashe (invocation)
48 Aru (mouth) Arun (mouth ) Ilaje
49 Do (river) Odo (river)
50 Do (settlement) Udo (settlement)
51 Shekiri (water god) Shekiri (a water god)
52 Bu (a place) Bu ,a place
53 Khepara (beetle Akpakara (beetle)
54 No (a water god Eno (a water god)
55 Ra -Shu (light after darkness Uran-shu (the light of the moon
56 Run-ka (spirit name) Oruko (name)
57 Deb/dib to pierce Dibi (to pierce)
58 Maat (goddess of justice Mate (goddess of justice)
59 Aru (rise) Ru (rise up)
60 Fa (carry) Fa (pull)
61 Kaf (pluck) Ka (pluck)
62 Bu bi (evil place) Bubi (evil place)
63 In- n (negation In-n (negation)
64 Iset (a water god) Ise (a water god)
65 Shabu (watcher) Ashonbo (watcher)
66 Semati (door keeper) Sema (lock/shut the door)
67 Khenti amenti (big words of Osiris Yenti – yenti (big, very big)
68 Ma (to know) Ma (to know)
69 Bebi, a son of osiris) Ube, a god
70 Tchatcha chief (they examined the death to see if they tricked tsatsa (a game of tricks, gambling )
71 Ren( animal foot) Ren (to walk)
72 Ka (rest) Ka (rest/tired)
73 Mu (water) Mu (drink water)
74 Abi (against) Ubi (against / impediment)
75 Reti (to beseech) Retin (to listen)
76 Hir (praise) Yiri (praise)
77 Ta(spread out) Ta (spread out)
78 Kurud (round) Kurudu (round)
79 Ak – male Ako (male)
80 Se – to create Se (to create)
81 Hoo (rejoice) Yo (rejoice)
82 Kamwr (black) Kuru (extremely black
83 Omitjener (deep water) Omijen (deep water)
84 Nen, the primeval water mother) Nene (mother
85 Ta (land) Ita (land junction)
86 Horiwo (head) Oriwo (head)
87 Ro (talk) Ro (to think)
88 Kurubu (round) Kurubu (deep and round)
89 Penka (divide) Kpen (divide)
90 Ma-su (to mould) Ma or su (to mould)
91 Osa (time) Osa (time)
92 Osa (tide) Osa ( tide)
93 Fare (wrap) Fari (wrap)
94 Kom (complete) Kon (complete)
95 Edjo (cobra) Edjo (cobra)
96 Didi (red fruit) Diden (red)
97 Ba (soul) Oba (king) soul of a people
98 Ke (hill) Oke( hill
99 Anubis (evil deity) Onubi (evil person)
100 Kan (one: Middle Egyptian) Okan one)
101 Nam (water god) Inama (water god)

The words above are used to show that most Yoruban words are identical to the ancient Egyptian

As an Igbo, I noted that many of those words mean the same or similar in Igbo as well:

EGYPT YORUBA IGBO

1. Wu (rise) Wu (rise) Kunie (rise)

4. Horise (a great god) Orise (a great god) Alusi (the gods)

9. On (living person) One ( living person) Onye (person)

11. Enru (fear / terrible) Eru (fear / terrible) Egwu (fear / terrible)

13. Win (to be) Wino (to be) Wulu (to be)

15. Ma or mi (to breath) Mi. (to breathe) Ume (breath)

18. Khu (to kill) Ku (die) Nwu (die)

26 Em (smell) Emi (smell) Imi (nose)

27 Pa (open) Pa (break open) Me-pah (open)

28 Bi (to become) Bi (to give birth, to become) bu (to become)

33 Feh (to go away) Feh (to blow away) Feh (fly away)

34 Kot (build) Ko (build) Ru o (build)

36 Omi (water) Omi (water) Mi-li (water)

39 Budo (dwelling place) Budo (dwelling place) Obodo (town)

40 Dudu (black image of Osiris) Dudu (black person) Ma du (person)

41 Un (living person) Una (living person) Onye (person)

43 Beka (pray/confess) Be or ka (to pray or confess) Biko (please)

47 Ash (invocation) Ashe (invocation) I-se (invocation)

48 Aru (mouth) Arun (mouth )  Onu (mouth)

50 Do (settlement) Udo (settlement) Obodo (settlement/town)

52 Bu (a place) Bu (a place) E beh (place)

55 Ra -Shu (light after darkness Uran-shu (the light of the moon) Ra hu (sleep)

58 Maat (goddess of justice Mate (goddess of justice) Mmaa (beauty/perfection)

68 Ma (to know) Ma (to know) Ma (to know)

78 Kurud (round) Kurudu (round) O kiri kiri (round)

79 Ak – male Ako (male) Nwoke (male)

80 Se – to create Se (to create) se (to draw)

84 Nen (the primeval water mother) Nene (mother) Nne (mother)

94 Kom (complete) Kon (complete) Kpom-kwem (complete)

99 Anubis (evil deity) Onubi (evil person) Aru (evil)
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 8:02pm On Dec 11, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Anonymous, thank you for this post. These arts are not only beautiful, they are also powerful, they express a philosophical thought. Looking at the arts and studying their details I gained indepth understanding of the mysteries and secrets commuicated through them. In that sense, I can say thank you for facilitating a lecture. wink

I ask the Almighty GOD, in the power of all the names by which He is known to raise an army of angels for Anonymous, to proceed ahead of you and all aroud you, demolishing barriers and openig gateways for your approach, ASE!

you welcome and thank you
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by tpia5: 11:37pm On Dec 11, 2011
i think europeans might find it easier to give credit for the art, if the owners can demonstrate verifiable and reasonable knowledge of the history of these artworks, their purpose and a verifiable chronological history attached to them.

anything by way of cooking up stories and jumping to illogical conclusions will only sway silly types with no substance. Actual scholars would want to see quantifiable and objective evidence of all of the above, as well as the place of these artworks in world history.

now, imo one of the reasons why this task is a difficult one is because the period covered by this art, falls under the dark ages, when it might have been crucial to destroy any tracks and links due to the danger of those times.

another reason could simply be the fluidity of history itself- nothing is really constant per se but continually shifting.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by NegroNtns(m): 1:01am On Dec 12, 2011
tpia,

These arts are primarily a philosophical record. Beyond appreciation for it's visual beauty and aesthetics, it's unlikely Europeans will understand the history and purpose of these arts. To get past the surface visuals and unveil the deep meaning of the head crowns, for instance will be an undertaking that recruits and partners with the expertise of the custodians of these philosophies. It does not need Europeans to accomplish, our own indigenous academicians can do that, only if they will recognize and come to terms with the place of "sacred imagination" as the source origin of human evolution, be it scientifically or artistically.

If academic knowledge and literacy alone is the basis for measurig truth ad credibility, then we will never get past the surface beauties of these arts, because the custodians are unlike us; their mental imagery and consciousness have not been violated ad corrupted by the white man's academic lies. In instances where they have equally been corrupted, some of them have found their way back to the origin and reconciled to the ancestral truths. These class of custodians stand the best chance, and not the Europeans, of ever revealing the truths of these arts for us. Amongst many of these people, Professor Wande Abimbola is without doubt in front and a pioneer.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Nobody: 1:13am On Dec 12, 2011
What are actually the major differences in Yoruba unique cultural variations to the different Yoruba states
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by amor4ce(m): 1:29am On Dec 12, 2011
em, food?
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by NegroNtns(m): 1:47am On Dec 12, 2011
all4naija,

From outside lookig in, all you see is a kaleidoscope of brilliant forms and colors. When you dive inside then you have the advantage of seeing the same image with the aid of filters and can now differentiate the blue from the yellow and the green from the red. Overall, when combined, its a pure white light complemented by each component member, without whom the formation of purity is inachievable.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 5:50pm On Dec 12, 2011
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 1:04pm On Dec 13, 2011
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 5:29pm On Dec 14, 2011
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by aljharem3: 6:06pm On Dec 14, 2011
Rossikk:

Emmatok said:

As an Igbo, I noted that many of those words mean the same or similar in Igbo as well:

EGYPT YORUBA IGBO

1. Wu (rise) Wu (rise) Kunie (rise)

4. Horise (a great god) Orise (a great god) Alusi (the gods)

9. On (living person) One ( living person) Onye (person)

11. Enru (fear / terrible) Eru (fear / terrible) Egwu (fear / terrible)

13. Win (to be) Wino (to be) Wulu (to be)

15. Ma or mi (to breath) Mi. (to breathe) Ume (breath)

18. Khu (to kill) Ku (die) Nwu (die)

26 Em (smell) Emi (smell) Imi (nose)

27 Pa (open) Pa (break open) Me-pah (open)

28 Bi (to become) Bi (to give birth, to become) bu (to become)

33 Feh (to go away) Feh (to blow away) Feh (fly away)

34 Kot (build) Ko (build) Ru o (build)

36 Omi (water) Omi (water) Mi-li (water)

39 Budo (dwelling place) Budo (dwelling place) Obodo (town)

40 Dudu (black image of Osiris) Dudu (black person) Ma du (person)

41 Un (living person) Una (living person) Onye (person)

43 Beka (pray/confess) Be or ka (to pray or confess) Biko (please)

47 Ash (invocation) Ashe (invocation) I-se (invocation)

48 Aru (mouth) Arun (mouth )  Onu (mouth)

50 Do (settlement) Udo (settlement) Obodo (settlement/town)

52 Bu (a place) Bu (a place) E beh (place)

55 Ra -Shu (light after darkness Uran-shu (the light of the moon) Ra hu (sleep)

58 Maat (goddess of justice Mate (goddess of justice) Mmaa (beauty/perfection)

68 Ma (to know) Ma (to know) Ma (to know)

78 Kurud (round) Kurudu (round) O kiri kiri (round)

79 Ak – male Ako (male) Nwoke (male)

80 Se – to create Se (to create) se (to draw)

84 Nen (the primeval water mother) Nene (mother) Nne (mother)

94 Kom (complete) Kon (complete) Kpom-kwem (complete)

99 Anubis (evil deity) Onubi (evil person) Aru (evil)

cool I just love to see they were we see the connection between culture

Kudos Rossike cool
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 1:32pm On Dec 15, 2011
African Ife Bronze Queen Mother Portrait Head Sculpture
http://elforms.com/queenmother/
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 4:57pm On Dec 16, 2011
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 5:05pm On Dec 16, 2011
European treatment harms African works?
Questions are being raised about a protective coating applied to Ife sculptures

http://africanartclub.com/museums/does-european-bronze-treatment-harms-african-works/

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 8:07pm On Dec 18, 2011
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 8:08pm On Dec 21, 2011
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 2:05pm On Dec 27, 2011
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 27, 2011
Most of these arts are displayed in Brit museum, which could have earned Nigeria foreign income and serve as tourism potentials.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 2:17pm On Dec 27, 2011
all4naija:

Most of these arts are displayed in Brit museum, which could have earned Nigeria foreign income and serve as tourism potentials.

I agree, I don't know why Nigerians are not taking advantage of that or are they?
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by tpia5: 6:49pm On Dec 27, 2011
so, do we have any research yet into the effect of the inquisition/s on subsaharan africa- southern nigeria in particular.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by amor4ce(m): 9:40pm On Dec 27, 2011
anonymous6:

I agree, I don't know why Nigerians are not taking advantage of that or are they?
Aren't they portrayed by many followers of the Crusaders and Jihadists mostly as associated with so-called demonic traditions?
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 12:10am On Dec 28, 2011
tpia@:

so, do we have any research yet into the effect of the inquisition/s on subsaharan africa- southern nigeria in particular.

not really, history books tends to talk about the inquisition or Spanish inquisition mostly with religion at times in Latin America but not so much with Africa, unless there is and we don't hear about it
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 12:13am On Dec 28, 2011
amor4ce:

Aren't they portrayed by many followers of the Crusaders and Jihadists mostly as associated with so-called demonic traditions?

To be real I never heard that but from my observation many Christians Yoruba's and traditionalist Yoruba's embrace it when it comes to historical preservation but Muslim Yoruba's I don't see that from them too much but as I said I not sure but I won't be surprised if Christians and Muslims have some negative views about the sculptures.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by NegroNtns(m): 4:51am On Dec 28, 2011
not really, history books tends to talk about the inquisition or Spanish inquisition mostly with religion at times in Latin America but not so much with Africa, unless there is and we don't hear about it

I believe they exist. I cannot imahgine Portugal, being the first and only contact for many centuries before England came here, will not have vast collections of historical accounts. Do we have any one interested in learning Portuegese for historical research reasons. . . ? I doubt it!

To be real I never heard that but from my observation many Christians Yoruba's and traditionalist Yoruba's embrace it when it comes to historical preservation but Muslim Yoruba's I don't see that from them too much but as I said I not sure but I won't be surprised if Christians and Muslims have some negative views about the sculptures.

Yoruba Muslims have always been distant from anything thats considered sculpted art and moreso if its a traditional Yoruba myth god or even a symbol of customary beliefs such as the ibeji wood carving. Yoruba Christians were like that too but I have seen them changed due to new awareness in art appreciation. The Yoruba Muslims need to change this view and the best way to cause that change would be through the Quran itself. My fear is if you reveal the Quran to Yoruba Muslim you also risk converting them back to Ifa because the Quran acknowledges Ifa practitioners as "People of the Book". By keeping them away from that revelation you sustain the balance which currently exist in Yorubaland and we see as diversity of religion.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by tpia5: 5:03am On Dec 28, 2011
I believe they exist. I cannot imahgine Portugal, being the first and only contact for many centuries before England came here, will not have vast collections of historical accounts

they had an earthquake and a tsunami some centuries back which probably wiped out many of their records from those periods.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 6:35am On Dec 28, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Do we have any one interested in learning Portuegese for historical research reasons. . . ?  I doubt it!

True

Negro_Ntns:

Yoruba Muslims have always been distant from anything thats considered sculpted art and moreso if its a traditional Yoruba myth god or even a symbol of customary beliefs such as the ibeji wood carving.  Yoruba Christians were like that too but I have seen them changed due to new awareness in art appreciation.  The Yoruba Muslims need to change this view and the best way to cause that change would be through the Quran itself.  My fear is if you reveal the Quran to Yoruba Muslim you also risk converting them back to Ifa because the Quran acknowledges Ifa practitioners as "People of the Book".   By keeping them away from that revelation you sustain the balance which currently exist in Yorubaland and we see as diversity of religion.

You have a point the Yoruba Christians of today have a appreciation for art more then the Muslim Yoruba's and thast why you see the differences between the two groups

I never looked at it that way when it comes to the diversity of religion in Yorubaland, and when it  comes to keeping the balance but I highly doubt a mass conversion of Yoruba Muslims to Ifa after the revelation of the Quran, some may convert to Ifa but most wouldn't; majority of Muslims tend to be a little stubborn when it comes to that in regards to religion.

tpia@:

they had an earthquake and a tsunami some centuries back which probably wiped out many of their records from those periods.

interesting I never knew that
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Jenifa1: 7:26am On Dec 28, 2011
nice. proud to be yoruba!
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 4:23pm On Dec 28, 2011
Jenifa_:

nice. proud to be yoruba!

Amen
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 5:25pm On Dec 28, 2011
Bronze Ife Head from the Kingdon of Ife, Nigeria (1400-1500 CE)
http://history2701.wikia.com/wiki/Bronze_Ife_Head_from_the_Kingdon_of_Ife,_Nigeria_%281400-1500_CE%29
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by amor4ce(m): 10:03pm On Dec 28, 2011
Some Yoruba people who call themselves Christians tend to associate these scuptures with idolatry and perhaps rightly so when sacrifices(blood) have been offered to totems/teraphims.
Yet they blindly accept idolatry from some Amorites (oyinbo) when they adore and propagate images of an Amorite-looking Christ (Iezeus) which is a lie. Whereas in the Yoruba culture no one has dared to make an image of OLODUMARE. The only exception seems to be that caricature-like sculpture of ELA (with an erect phallus) at the Osogbo grove which I suspected was put up by Susanne Wenger. This particular piece does not indicate race unlike those in many churches today.

Another big difference that separates Yoruba art from Amorite art (eg Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling) is the portrayal of unclothedness by the latter, as if it is a source of pride.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 11:03pm On Dec 28, 2011
amor4ce:

Some Yoruba people who call themselves Christians tend to associate these scuptures with idolatry and perhaps rightly so when sacrifices(blood)

You have a point but they at times tend to appreciate the art when it comes to historical preservation but I am not denying what you are saying some Christians don't want to associate with the sculptures at all however but from my experience they are not as vocal about it like the Muslim Yoruba's are though.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by NegroNtns(m): 2:32am On Dec 29, 2011
Whereas in the Yoruba culture no one has dared to make an image of OLODUMARE.

Word! grin

I never looked at it that way when it comes to the diversity of religion in Yorubaland, and when it comes to keeping the balance but I highly doubt a mass conversion of Yoruba Muslims to Ifa after the revelation of the Quran, some may convert to Ifa but most wouldn't; majority of Muslims tend to be a little stubborn when it comes to that in regards to religion.

Well, in planning and sustaining a balanced society, the primary ingredient is diversity. Currently, we exist as a foreigner in sovereignty with other foreigners and we all are living under the burden of a foreign political legacy practicing foreign world religions. If Nigeria dissolves and Yoruba is idnependent, there will be a push to return to a Yoruba philosophy. We will at that time face many challenges in the social order, diversity. . . . . whether of religion, population, economy or politics will be a big headache!

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Traditional Attire Of Ivory Coast / See The Sacrifice They Dropped On My Neighbor's Doorstep / Sanusi Lamido Welcomes Baby With His 4th Wife (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.