Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,922 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? (3968 Views)

See Why My Mother Cursed Me / My Mother Finally CURSED Me Last Night. I DON'T Give A Bleep!! - TheGidRedpiller / Is He Being Wise, Cursed Or Just Wicked? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by JaskTime7: 5:38pm On Jan 21
mrjojo:
he might be able to get into a full funded msc if his course is STEM related and with a good GPA
my GPA is 4.39/5.0. I studied Geography and regional planning

2 Likes

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by JaskTime7: 5:44pm On Jan 21
ecolime:

No offer after medicals? What could be the reason? Hepatitis B?

You may reach out to the company for status update on your application and reason for the lack of feedback.

While at it, be very prayerful. Pray and fast without ceasing as it could be a generational curse like you said.
I got info for a particular firm that we were replaced with the top managers candidates. I wasn't the only one affected.
Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by VTJN(m): 5:59pm On Jan 21
JaskTime7:
I got info for a particular firm that we were replaced with the top managers candidates. I wasn't the only one affected.
welcome to Nigeria. This has been the norms in some organization truly. My cousin has experience this

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by mrjojo: 6:09pm On Jan 21
Lifeinlight:

Sorry, Is it US that will get him passport, application fee, flight ticket and other fees?
when there is a will, there is always a way, I am a living proof of that.
Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by mrjojo: 6:14pm On Jan 21
JaskTime7:
that's really great, where do you currently leave, You need a plan.

First plan
Survive

- Feeding, rent, internet

You had a bike, meaning you can ride as a delivery biker, correct?
is there a busy junction close to you? , for morning/night akara/fried yam
Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by JaskTime7: 6:20pm On Jan 21
mrjojo:
that's really great, where do you currently leave, You need a plan.

First plan
Survive

- Feeding, rent, internet

You had a bike, meaning you can ride as a delivery biker, correct?
is there a busy junction close to you? , for morning/night akara/fried yam

I don't have a bike. I only bought a bike for someone when i was going to school to support me while in school. The person deliver weekly. It's on a higher purchase. The bike become his when i was in year 3.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by CockPit: 6:55pm On Jan 21
Now, imagine instead of going to school for 4 years, you have gone to learn a skill for 2 years like tailoring, Auto mechanic, plumbing, welding, tiler and so on and your sister and every member of your family have all done likewise gone to learn a skill.

Your family will be in a better position financially.

After school in Nigeria, over 98 percent of the graduates do not have a tangible life skill to succeed in the real world.

As a fashoion designer, you have a skill to solve a real life problem.
I am not against school but i advocate going back to school after you have acquired those skills.

Also, you parents brought you guys into the world to suffer, you were set up to fail from day one. At most your parents should have had only 1 or two kids.

It is not too late to go learn a trade and get a skill.

Times have changed and we must evaluate the world around us and change our approach.

2 Likes

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by Lifeinlight: 7:04pm On Jan 21
CockPit:
Now, imagine instead of going to school for 4 years, you have gone to learn a skill for 2 years like tailoring, Auto mechanic, plumbing, welding, tiler and so on and your sister and every member of your family have all done likewise gone to learn a skill.

Your family will be in a better position financially.

After school in Nigeria, over 98 percent of the graduates do not have a tangible life skill to succeed in the real world.

As a fashoion designer, you have a skill to solve a real life problem.
I am not against school but i advocate going back to school after you have acquired those skills.

Also, you parents brought you guys into the world to suffer, you were set up to fail from day one. At most your parents should have had only 1 or two kids.

It is not too late to go learn a trade and get a skill.

Times have changed and we must evaluate the world around us and change our approach.
I know people in my environ who have these skills and they're still poor. They still struggle with their 3 square meal. Some don't even have the means to establish themselves after learning. It is really tough out there bro

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by CockPit: 9:02pm On Jan 21
Lifeinlight:
I know people in my environ who have these skills and they're still poor. They still struggle with their 3 square meal. Some don't even have the means to establish themselves after learning. It is really tough out there bro

I know millions of graduates with zero skills working 30k jobs per months for the past 10 years.

I also know successful trades people who are doing well and taking care of their families.

Bottom line is the skill to solve real life problems which most graduates don't have unfortunately.

There are weddings every weekend and people sew new clothes. Car break down that needs to be fixed. These are real life problems that requires real live skills.
You can go back to school after learning those skills and still have something to fall back on.
Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by Kobojunkie: 9:09pm On Jan 21
JaskTime7:
I realized my elder brother was stealing company's goods with his friends. I gave him serious warning to stop that but he wouldn't listen. I was forced to tell my parents but he denied it. I was in school when my younger brother called me that my elder brother has been arrested with his friends. After the investigation, police demanded for a million naira before he would be released. I learnt the company management has let go the case. My elder brother has been behind bar for more than 7 years now without a way out. We can't say if he's alive or dead. I saw one of his friends mid last year, and he told me most of his friends had been released having met the condition of the police officers. I'm done with school but couldn't secure a job. I've gotten to the final stage of some organization, I've done medical test but i wasn't called up. My younger brother has finished his high school since 2019 but couldn't further his education. He's very talented in playing football. My little sister finished her high school last year and the little girl was asking if she could take jamb. My dad has been seriously ill for some days now but no means of getting him drugs nor taking him to the hospital. I fear for my dad at this moment. My family struggled daily before we could have a square meal. My mum has prayed, cried, fasted nothing changes. She was saying it could be a family course. My family is gradually going into extinction.
Your family is not cursed. Rather, your parents did a terrible job planning for the future of the family they chose to have. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by horlahsunbo225(m): 9:46pm On Jan 21
JaskTime7:
You've a good CGPA and looking at japa will be the best.
USA applications just close of recent but I can be in touch with you for next year applications. I believe you'll get a fully funded scholarship with your GPA.

I came from almost similar family like yours but my story changes since I moved to USA 2 years ago. Please don't give up.

Edit
Can you go through this link and let me know if it align with your degree
https://www.canr.msu.edu/spdc/programs/urban_and_regional_planning/urp_graduate_degrees

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by BRATISLAVA: 9:53pm On Jan 21
LalastiklaIa:

Yes their are homeless people without children but it would be worse if those homeless people now have so many children to constitute nuisance in the future.

Then why demonize having many children since it clearly is not a result of that?
Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by LalastiklaIa(m): 10:08pm On Jan 21
BRATISLAVA:

Then why demonize having many children since it clearly is not a result of that?

My dear giving birth to so many children is not ideal when you haven't solved your financial issues. Having many children is not the cause of poverty but it further improvishes anyone already in it.

Imagine the scenario of a couple minimum wage earners having 8 kids. To do what na? They have further sunken themselves into poverty by breeding that number of kids.

Do you know the amount required to raise a kid not to talk of 8 and you're a low income earner

3 Likes

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by Notfogotten: 10:47pm On Jan 21
JaskTime7:
Good day all..

Trust we're all doing great?

I am from a nuclear family of seven, five children and my two parents. I and my siblings grew up in Lagos. My dad is a land surveyor while my mum a petty trader. We all attended public school in Lagos (elementary and high school) I'm the third child of 5 children. I and my elder siblings had to hawk immediately we returned back from school before we could eat. Including my mum. My dad wasn't getting job but we had to survive. We were a laughing stock then in our neighborhood. We later advised our mum to put her goods in bag instead of tray, then supply to her customers. We were selling quick oat, butter, toothpaste et al. We got the goods on credit through someone and pay back after sales. We realized the profit wasn't sustainable, then we consider alternative means. We hawk during weekdays and wash cars and motorcycle weekend. With that we were able to pay our accommodation fee (a single room), put food on our table to some extent and other miscellaneous fee.

We've been on this for years. The landlord later gave us quit notice having realized we could no longer put up with the accommodation fee. My family moved into a friend's house. He lived in a room and palor. He gave us a room to live while him and his family lived in the other room. We were able to raised money after two years and rented an apartment (a single room) then moved in

My eldest brother (first child) was hit by a car when he was washing a customer's bike, he was rushed to a nearby hospital but we eventually lost him. We had to stopped the work because of that particular iccident. After several months of searching, i and my elder brother were able to get a factory work. I had plan of saving all my money with the hope of furthering my education, but family responsibility wouldn't allow me save. I later had a change of mind going to police academy, from my research, it was a free school and one would be absorbed as an ASP officer, that's automatic employment. I sat for jamb and the school post jamb at police college Ikeja, Lagos. I was shortlisted for final screening at wudil Kano. Unfortunately, i couldn't make it. I don't have much money to get the needed materials and transportation fee. It was a sad experience for me.

I continued working, but this time around, i wasn't supporting the family with all my money. I had some savings. My supervisor advised me to further my education. He claimed i can't continue this job throughout my lifetime. I took jamb the following year and got admission. I bought bike (motorcycle) with the little savings i had after paying my tuition fee and other necessity. I gave out the bike as Higher purchase. The bike man delivered six thousand naira weekly until the bike become his. I didn't get accommodation in school because i couldn't afford it. I was squatting with friends. My elder brother enrol for part time program. During holiday i often rushed down home to find something doing that could fetch me some money.

I realized my elder brother was stealing company's goods with his friends. I gave him serious warning to stop that but he wouldn't listen. I was forced to tell my parents but he denied it. I was in school when my younger brother called me that my elder brother has been arrested with his friends. After the investigation, police demanded for a million naira before he would be released. I learnt the company management has let go the case. My elder brother has been behind bar for more than 7 years now without a way out. We can't say if he's alive or dead. I saw one of his friends mid last year, and he told me most of his friends had been released having met the condition of the police officers. I'm done with school but couldn't secure a job. I've gotten to the final stage of some organization, I've done medical test but i wasn't called up. My younger brother has finished his high school since 2019 but couldn't further his education. He's very talented in playing football. My little sister finished her high school last year and the little girl was asking if she could take jamb. My dad has been seriously ill for some days now but no means of getting him drugs nor taking him to the hospital. I fear for my dad at this moment. My family struggled daily before we could have a square meal. My mum has prayed, cried, fasted nothing changes. She was saying it could be a family course. My family is gradually going into extinction.

I took time to read your story. You are a great guy. Tarry a little while.

My story is worse than yours. But today I am better than 120,000,000 Nigerians.

My people have a story that when a great man is born, the pepper with which to cook for the mother wouldn't be available.

Nature have made you the head of your family. Take that responsibility and see your life and that of your family turn around.

Start by encouraging your mother. Tell her as long as you live, things will change. Encourage your sisters and other siblings too.

Mark this post and let me know when heaven smiles at you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by Kobojunkie: 10:57pm On Jan 21
BRATISLAVA:
■ Why do you people like to act as if having many children is the cause of people who have (financial) problems in life?
■ What about the people with many children who don't have that problem? Having fewer children is not the solution to lifes problems, so please, stop looking down on and bashing such people.
■ There are homeless people who have never been married and have no children, living rough on the streets. Which "5 children" do you blame for that happening?
Studies in the United States have shown that one's economic mobility is greatly impacted by the economic status of the family one is born into.
Economic mobility, the ability to move up or down the economic ladder during one’s lifetime and across generations, is central to the ideal of the American Dream. But recent research finds that there are limitations to mobility in the United States. For example, one study of families across generations finds that one’s economic position is strongly influenced by that of one’s parents: 42 percent of children born to parents in the bottom fifth of the economic distribution remain in the bottom as adults and another 23 percent rise only to the second fifth, while 39 percent of children born to parents at the top of the income distribution remain at the top, with another 23 percent moving to the second fifth.
This paper focuses on the lower end of the earnings spectrum and highlights findings from a working paper commissioned by the National Center for Children in Poverty (NCCP). In particular, we report how common it is for children to experience poverty throughout the course of childhood – defined as the years from birth to age 15 – and how that relates to the likelihood that they will be poor in young and middle adulthood. Child poverty and Intergenerational Mobility
Try to apply that to the Nigerian setting and you immediately begin to see why it is essential for a man and woman to plan out there family and lives not based on how many children they desire to have but on how many they can afford. While having many children is not the cause of poverty, it has been linked to why many are unable to rise out of poverty. Why do the poor have large families undecided

2. Some can afford the many children they have. However, the vast majority of those who have many children cannot afford to feed or even cloth them let alone educate them. undecided

3. Comparing a family with kids they are unable to fend for in poverty to a homeless man with mental/health issues unable to keep up as a result of the disability is unfair. lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by Scholace: 6:07am On Jan 22
Kobojunkie:
Your family is not cursed. Rather, your parents did a terrible job planning for the future of the family they chose to have. undecided
So sad

Almost two life has been lost as a result of POVERTY. This is really heartbroken.

1 Like

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by JaskTime7: 6:16am On Jan 22
horlahsunbo225:

USA applications just close of recent but I can be in touch with you for next year applications. I believe you'll get a fully funded scholarship with your GPA.

I came from almost similar family like yours but my story changes since I moved to USA 2 years ago. Please don't give up.

Edit
https://www.canr.msu.edu/spdc/programs/urban_and_regional_planning/urp_graduate_degrees
Yes. It does align with my degree. I guess GRE is required.

2 Likes

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by horlahsunbo225(m): 6:24am On Jan 22
JaskTime7:
Yes. It does align with my degree. I guess GRE is required.
Yes but you can search for more of that program that doesn't require GRE
Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by NigeriaIsGreat: 6:26am On Jan 22
Nice2023:
This is what NBS termed as multi dimensional poverty.

Crazy.

Yours isn't cursed.

Pls,change ur environment now...even if it means to relocate to the North,south or Eastern Nigeria.

The earlier u decide to this,come next year,u will thank me.

bros, change of environment does not work for everyone you know? From OP story, i don't think he has the means to change his environment.

1 Like

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by NigeriaIsGreat: 6:31am On Jan 22
horlahsunbo225:

Edit
This is a brilliant idea, but i think OP need a good stable income first before this. I believe he still has to spend some money along the process like getting his passport, a small laptop and other expenses. A stable source of income will make it easier for him. He can also support his family from his income too.

3 Likes

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by JaskTime7: 7:59am On Jan 22
horlahsunbo225:

Yes but you can search for more of that program that doesn't require GRE
alright. Thanks.
Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by BRATISLAVA: 8:06am On Jan 22
Kobojunkie:
Studies in the United States have shown that one's economic mobility is greatly impacted by the economic status of the family one is born into.
Try to apply that to the Nigerian setting and you immediately begin to see why it is essential for a man and woman to plan out there family and lives not based on how many children they desire to have but on how many they can afford. While having many children is not the cause of poverty, it has been linked to why many are unable to rise out of poverty. Why do the poor have large families undecided

2. Some can afford the many children they have. However, the vast majority of those who have many children cannot afford to feed or even cloth them let alone educate them. undecided

3. Comparing a family with kids they are unable to fend for in poverty to a homeless man with mental/health issues unable to keep up as a result of the disability is unfair. lipsrsealed

Not all homeless people have mental health issues. There are a lot of single, childless people living in multidimensional poverty. Having many children doesn't determine anything.

There are also a lot of people with many children who are middle class and above.
Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by NigeriaIsGreat: 8:20am On Jan 22
BRATISLAVA:

Not all homeless people have mental health issues. There are a lot of single, childless people living in multidimensional poverty. Having many children doesn't determine anything.

There are also a lot of people with many children who are middle class and above.
in Nigeria, most poor people have more children than the rich ones. Poverty is synonymous to too many children in Nigeria. You can hardly see a poor man with one or two kids in Nigeria. Even if you want to be wise as a poor man to have less children, your fellow poor people will convince you beyond unreasonable doubt to have more children expecially if you don't have both sex yet. This is a terrible problem in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by Lifeinlight: 9:27am On Jan 22
CockPit:

I know millions of graduates with zero skills working 30k jobs per months for the past 10 years.

I also know successful trades people who are doing well and taking care of their families.

Bottom line is the skill to solve real life problems which most graduates don't have unfortunately.

There are weddings every weekend and people sew new clothes. Car break down that needs to be fixed. These are real life problems that requires real live skills.
You can go back to school after learning those skills and still have something to fall back on.
It is vice versa. There are millions of unemployed and underemployed graduates. There are many skilled people struggling to feed and pay their bills. There are also lots of graduates gainfully employed. Likewise there are lots of skilled persons earning well. Having a skill is not a yardstick to success. Having education is also not a yardstick to success.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by Lifeinlight: 9:28am On Jan 22
BRATISLAVA:

having many children in Nigeria is equal to POVERTY

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by CockPit: 9:31am On Jan 22
Lifeinlight:
It is vice versa. There are millions of unemployed and underemployed graduates. There are many skilled people struggling to feed and pay their bills. There are also lots of graduates gainfully employed. Likewise there are lots of skilled persons earning well. Having a skill is not a yardstick to success. Having education is also not a yardstick to success.

But the graduates spent 4 years already in school at a great cost.
Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by Lifeinlight: 10:17am On Jan 22
CockPit:

But the graduates spent 4 years already in school at a great cost.
Yes sure. There are many skills after learning you still need capital to set it up. A fashion designer needs shop, sewing machines, electricity etc. A carpenter need either shop or space and his carpentry instruments. Although they can be patronizing them by their close associate without having a shop, but they won't be recognized and they will struggle to fend for themselves. Having a skill is crucial but doesn't guarantee success, expecially in today's Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by Nasri100(m): 2:05pm On Jan 22
LalastiklaIa:
People blame ancestral curse over their own mistakes and doing. Why breed 5 children in poverty. When you can get 1 and give him the best with your limited resources

Imagine losing your life as a youngman hustling because of poverty. Kai

The children of the G.O you go to their church to shout amen to have their kids in UK with British accent grin

Many Nigerians are very foolish. Thats the answer. I just can’t imagine. In a country with no welfare and the HDI is very low yet you still breed like fools.

Illiteracy is truly a disease.

2 Likes

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by Nasri100(m): 2:13pm On Jan 22
Kobojunkie:

I don’t know why you and Lalastiklala are replying that dumb ass BRATISLAVA or whatever the name is on this topic.

It’s clear these are the people that don’t see anything wrong in giving birth to many kids without a plan to raise them. You can’t afford the next meal yet you are giving birth to 5 kids and one idiot doesn’t see anything wrong in this?

I am bored of impacting common sense into these lots. Nigeria will never get better trust me. These people are the majority.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by NigeriaIsGreat: 3:03pm On Jan 22
BRATISLAVA:

maybe you're not in Nigeria for you to be saying this.
Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by CockPit: 4:50pm On Jan 22
Lifeinlight:

Then what exactly is your point?
Re: Is My Family Truly Cursed Or Not? by Lifeinlight: 5:04pm On Jan 22
CockPit:

Then what exactly is your point?
skills is not also certain.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Women Like Shopping? / Must A Man Have An Engagement Ring Before He Proposes? / What Profitable Business Should I Start With 50 Million Naira in Ondo State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.