Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,362 members, 7,815,777 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

Has The Tech Bubble Bust? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Has The Tech Bubble Bust? (1512 Views)

The Tech Bro Pandemic ! They Are So Annoying ! / Bubble.io / My Journey In The Tech World Is The Most Disastrous And Roughest Part... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by YoobaNesan: 4:22pm On Jan 30
When I made a post about AI coming for software/developer roles, tech bros came for my head.

But seeing the reality on ground, I believe they must have eat an humble pie and need to tender their apology.

My fellow programmers, How're you coping from the stench of layoffs and hard time seeking new roles?

Budding and aspiring developers, are you motivated/frustrated with the reality on ground?

To our bosses, what's the way forward?

cc qtguru, tensazangetsu, mukina2, thruthcoder et al.

Previous thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/7894756/ai-finally-come-jobs
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:24pm On Jan 30
If you are a proper programmer, you would know that AI isn't coming for anyone's job. I am tired of hearing this dumb shit over and over again. Jesus Christ angry angry

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by YoobaNesan: 4:30pm On Jan 30
You keep saying this and severely get refuted by thousands of layoffs and departments been shut down because of an AI system that can perform better.

Your Insinuation is wrong!

tensazangetsu20:
If you are a proper programmer, you would know that AI isn't coming for anyone's job. I am tired of hearing this dumb shit over and over again. Jesus Christ angry angry
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:32pm On Jan 30
YoobaNesan:
You keep saying this and severely get refuted by thousands of layoffs and departments been shut down because of an AI system that can perform better.

You can learn farming. AI will never take over there.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by YoobaNesan: 4:35pm On Jan 30
Perhaps you don't understand the broader aspects of my topics.

When I say AI's influence on developer roles, it's not only limited to layoffs, but also VC's taking their money to AI focused companies, which makes founder to also focused on AI related projects.

Do you understand?

tensazangetsu20:

Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by KushLyon(m): 4:53pm On Jan 30
You don't even know why the layoffs are happening, and you think it's because companies like Google and TikTok that recently laid off some workers replaced them with AI? I'm an aspiring dev and no, I'm not frustrated by the recent layoffs.

3 Likes

Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by Alphabyte2: 5:09pm On Jan 30
AI is helping developers code more effectively and efficiently it does coding including UI/UX design from images of figma or sketch .

The layoff software engineers will be hired by other corporation Some of them with their experience are doing remote jobs and building their own startup to sell millions of dollars at acquire. If you are an experienced developer you will always have many jobs but you need to be full stack. Try to network your yourself and outsource your skill .
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by YoobaNesan: 5:09pm On Jan 30
On of the reasons for layoffs is development in AI system.

KushLyon:
You don't even know why the layoffs are happening, and you think it's because companies like Google and TikTok that recently laid off some workers replaced them with AI? I'm an aspiring dev and no, I'm not frustrated by the recent layoffs.
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by lastkingsman: 5:15pm On Jan 30
YoobaNesan:
On of the reasons for layoffs is development in AI system.

What most people don't realize is the artificial in AI doesn't mean the system is not intelligent.

What AI has actually done just like every other innovation is reduce the number of people needed to develop and maintain software project.

A job that requires 10 devs for example can be done with less than 4 devs with the assistance of AI.

That's the impact
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by YoobaNesan: 5:33pm On Jan 30
Exactly.
That's the problem with Nigerians, they'll deny a reality once it posses threat to their survival.

lastkingsman:

What most people don't realize is the artificial in AI doesn't mean the system is not intelligent.

What AI has actually done just like every other innovation is reduce the number of people needed to develop and maintain software project.

A job that requires 10 devs for example can be done with less than 4 devs with the assistance of AI.

That's the impact
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by YoobaNesan: 5:36pm On Jan 30
You'll be shocked that the most affected like freelancers in virtual assistant, graphic designers, and all those petty online jobs will still deny this fact.

Yet, you wonder why lots of them got fooled by AltSchool Africa, The bulb etc.

They've only turn the tech echo system to Nigerian Universities where lots of graduates are churned out, yet knowing th reality on ground and the owner of those bootcamps smile to the bank. (it is them you see defending what's not)
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by elpsycongroo: 5:51pm On Jan 30
I got banned qtguru, so I was saying that AI takes away some redaundant role, UI/UX, Graphic Designers will always have a job, because they now infuse AI to generate stock images for their art, AI imitating creativity will be hard, but I would say, people will have to learn to adopt AI in their workflow.

Maybe down the years AI will replace alot but for now, AI still has a long way to go, I use alot of AI and it's very good for ground work.

1 Like

Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by Newusername(m): 7:05pm On Jan 30
tensazangetsu20:

grin grin
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by Alphabyte2: 7:39pm On Jan 30
tensazangetsu20:

FarmGPT shows that AI is coming for everyone. Elon warnings was true but he was one of the pioneers of AI.
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by DissTroy(m): 8:40pm On Jan 30
YoobaNesan:

It would burst. Most people hear "techie" and they assume there's immediate millions to be made from getting jobs.

If the endpoint of learning tech skills is to build products which are sustainable, you won't worry about any bubble. I don't.

Get gigs to help bootstrap what you're building. Then when it takes off, you can concentrate on scaling it without worrying about any layoffs. But all of you want quick bucks without wanting to build actual products. Just going through the motions with wages being the only goal.

Even if it's a productised tech service, build it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by Hannania(m): 11:51pm On Jan 30
YoobaNesan:

What you don't understand is that all the big tech are capitalizing on the AI hype. They layoff today at $200k compensation, then post the same job 24hrs later to hire at $150k. They're basically reducing the 2020-2022 hiring buzz.

Traditional firms and startups are still hiring. Below is the interview invite I got around Nov last year. It's for Apple interview for a role in Paris, iCloud team. We stopped after two rounds because they picked another person from EU. The hiring manager asked me to reach out to my recruiter if I find my self in Europe and I see a role I like again after I informed him I'm moving soon.

Go to Blind platform and see how the big tech are just reshuffling to reduce salaries. So stay with this mentality that AI will take your job and lose wink

4 Likes

Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by silento(m): 12:30am On Jan 31
While AI might help on a project , I don't think programmers can ever be replaced by merely AI ,
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:41am On Jan 31
Hannania:
What you don't understand is that all the big tech are capitalizing on the AI hype. They layoff today at $200k compensation, then post the same job 24hrs later to hire at $150k. They're basically reducing the 2020-2022 hiring buzz.

Traditional firms and startups are still hiring. Below is the interview invite I got around Nov last year. It's for Apple interview for a role in Paris, iCloud team. We stopped after two rounds because they picked another person from EU. The hiring manager asked me to reach out to my recruiter if I find my self in Europe and I see a role I like again after I informed him I'm moving soon.

Go to Blind platform and see how the big tech are just reshuffling to reduce salaries. So stay with this mentality that AI will take your job and lose wink

Meta laid off people and now they are hiring enmass with lower salaries likewise Amazon.

1 Like

Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by Hannania(m): 12:49am On Jan 31
tensazangetsu20:

Meta laid off people and now they are hiring enmass with lower salaries likewise Amazon.
Even Google is doing thesame. But because these guys are used to that big tech, they still go back

1 Like

Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by talk2hb1(m): 10:24am On Jan 31
Another Chicken šŸ„ little let loose, the sky is always falling.
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by Davidcorny: 10:28am On Jan 31
If you know the hunt for programmers by companies you'll know those laid off were either because they were being overpaid and under delivering or not programmers.

Take the lady that was laid off and went viral for recording it, she was a "tech worker" in sales department of cloudflare, they had hired her 2 months ago to make sales, she didn't meet quota and got laid off.

AI is a product not the producer of a product, so it will never replace a programmer, you'll need a programmer to tailor datasets for it, you'll need programmers to stop it from hallucinating facts that aren't real and you'll need programmers for integrating it into a product, the day AI can write itself, build and train itself, correct itself and package itself into a product is hundreds of thousands of years in the future if ever.

3 Likes

Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by CHRISTFUCKER: 12:18pm On Jan 31
AI has replaced bs tech jobs not meaningful tech work

I'm saying bs tech jobs like web dev , anything design, hr

Meaningful work like compiler, OS, drivers won't be replaced by AI
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by tosinhtml: 3:47pm On Feb 02
By this statement, I am guaranteed that you're definitely not a programmer with an actual job.

It's either you started learning recently and never had a developer job in your life, or you're not even in the tech field at all.

That is the only way anyone would write such a fallacy in January 2024.

Davidcorny:
If you know the hunt for programmers by companies you'll know those laid off were either because they were being overpaid and under delivering or not programmers.

Take the lady that was laid off and went viral for recording it, she was a "tech worker" in sales department of cloudflare, they had hired her 2 months ago to make sales, she didn't meet quota and got laid off.

AI is a product not the producer of a product, so it will never replace a programmer, you'll need a programmer to tailor datasets for it, you'll need programmers to stop it from hallucinating facts that aren't real and you'll need programmers for integrating it into a product, the day AI can write itself, build and train itself, correct itself and package itself into a product is hundreds of thousands of years in the future if ever.
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by Millerules(m): 8:39pm On Feb 02
DissTroy:

It would burst. Most people hear "techie" and they assume there's immediate millions to be made from getting jobs.

If the endpoint of learning tech skills is to build products which are sustainable, you won't worry about any bubble. I don't.

Get gigs to help bootstrap what you're building. Then when it takes off, you can concentrate on scaling it without worrying about any layoffs. But all of you want quick bucks without wanting to build actual products. Just going through the motions with wages being the only goal.

Even if it's a productised tech service, build it.

Word! Really I canā€™t understand why you would be a software developer and you canā€™t come up with something that would earn you cash on a daily even if you have a 9-5.
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by malawi101(m): 9:04pm On Feb 02
YoobaNesan:

cc qtguru, tensazangetsu, mukina2, thruthcoder et al.

Previous thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/7894756/ai-finally-come-jobs

There are at least three factors behind these massive layoffs: the adoption of artificial intelligence, a quest to increase earnings, and cutting costs ahead of a merger or a sale.
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by dreamxhaser: 9:07pm On Feb 02
YoobaNesan:

Layoffs is due to the economic crisis in western countries not AI.

You hate on tech bros. Why?
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by Davidcorny: 9:13pm On Feb 03
tosinhtml:
By this statement, I am guaranteed that you're definitely not a programmer with an actual job.

It's either you started learning recently and never had a developer job in your life, or you're not even in the tech field at all.

That is the only way anyone would write such a fallacy in January 2024.

It's not a secret I've been learning programming for over a year now, your fear mongering is obvious bro, dunno why you want to gatekeep so hard.
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by Maj196(m): 4:07am On Feb 04
Well if you ask me, AI has improved my work instead of taking it away from me
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by tosinhtml: 11:42am On Feb 04
Davidcorny:
It's not a secret I've been learning programming for over a year now, your fear mongering is obvious bro, dunno why you want to gatekeep so hard.

You don't know anything about the tech industry job market & that comment you made is pure fallacy. Not only are you a rookie, but you are also ignorant and proud about it..

People are losing their jobs in the numbers, Principal & Staff engineers in top companies are losing their jobs not because they are incompetent but because the share holders are trying to reduce the number of staff head count. They are randomly selecting teams that are working on projects that they think might not be important to overall company's profit margin. I have mentors that are in job market now with 15 years experience laid off, and are looking for jobs.

The cloudfare lady got fired not because of incompetence, she was hired during the festive periods, as a sales person you cannot close deals during this period because companies reach the end of their budget in December. The new financial year starts in January or February for most companies. Cloudfare did not even give her any reason for laying her off because they have no reason.

Andela as a company has lost most of their gigs, companies in the US are moving away from remote work in Africa. A lot of experienced devs left with no jobs. Other agencies like Toptal are experiencing decline too.

So trust me, you don't know 1% of what you're saying at all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by qtguru(m): 11:48am On Feb 04
tosinhtml:

You don't know anything about the tech industry job market & that comment you made is pure fallacy. Not only are you a rookie, but you are also ignorant and proud about it.

People are losing their jobs in the numbers, Principal & Staff engineers in top companies are losing their jobs not because they are incompetent but because the share holders are trying to reduce the number of staff head count. They are randomly selecting teams that are working on projects that they think might not be important to overall company's profit margin. I have mentors that are in job market now with 15 years experience laid off, and are looking for jobs.

The cloudfare lady got fired not because of incompetence, she was hired during the festive periods, as a sales person you cannot close deals during this period because companies reach the end of their budget in December. The new financial year starts in January or February for most companies. Cloudfare did not even give her any reason for laying her off because they have no reason.

Andela as a company has lost most of their gigs, companies in the US are moving away from remote work in Africa. A lot of experienced devs left with no jobs. Other agencies like Toptal are experiencing decline too.

So trust me, you don't know 1% of what you're saying at all.

Facts ignore DavidCorny if a whole Top Google Developer can be fired how does that mean he was incompetent. Lol
Re: Has The Tech Bubble Bust? by tosinhtml: 11:53am On Feb 04
qtguru:

Facts ignore DavidCorny if a whole Top Google Developer can be fired how does that mean he was incompetent. Lol

I tire oh, People sharing false statements with so much confidence. I survived 3 layoffs at end of 2022 when the whole layoff thing started. I was always praying because I saw people that were way better than me being laid off. It was not about incompetence at all. It was so random.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Netbeans User To Help Me Out Of This Hook. / I Need Help With This Python Exercise / The Most Valuable Programming Language To Know For The Future & Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.