Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,891 members, 7,956,360 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:38 AM

Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates (6324 Views)

FG To Begin Collection Of Toll At Border Posts / FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads / Toll Gates Back Soon On Federal Roads –onolememen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by homerac7: 6:59am On Nov 08, 2011
Minister explains reintroduction of toll gates
On November 8, 2011 · In News

By BARTHOLOMEW MADUKWE

LAGOS-Minister of Works, Mr. Mike Onolememen, Monday, explained the rationale behind Federal Government’s introduction of toll gates on the country’s major highways, noting that bad roads will be exempted from the exercise.

In a statement, yesterday, the minister said: “Government is sensitive to the feelings of the people, so in re-tooling the toll gate policy, we have decided that we are not going to toll a road that is so bad that there would be nothing to show for it. What we have decided is that as we would rehabilitate and reconstruct the roads, and only roads that qualify and passed through this process of full rehabilitation are going to start collecting tolls.

“The toll gates would not be re-introduced to any road that had not been rehabilitated and reconstructed to the level of it being qualified as fit and proper by global standards. Minimum standard for the toll gates would be similar to the toll plaza on the Lekki-Ikorodu road in Lagos built by the Lekki Concessionary Company, LCC.

“The toll plazas we are planning now are not going to be run on the basis of business as usual, we would have automated plazas. They will be monitored and we would ensure that it is not just driving to a toll plaza and paying cash. You can get appropriate tickets or cards in advance from any of the designated banks before you ply these roads. With your tickets or sticker you can go without delay”, he explained noting that this would ensure accountability and transparency in the management of the toll plazas.

He said the reason for the re-introduction of toll gates is to bring to stoppage the degeneration of roads to the state of disrepair, saying: “And in so doing, we should be able to sustain the all-year maintenance of these roads. The ministry is working on a policy which will eventually be forwarded to the National Assembly for legislative action. Again, we seem to be the only country in the world where you don’t have appropriate institutional framework to pull funds together and manage our roads.”

Onolememen noted that the implication of non-service charge payment on road usage is the major cause of bad roads presently in all parts of the country, adding that money at the disposal of government cannot guarantee sustainable maintenance of the roads, hence the need for a pragmatic and realistic measure.

The minister averred that the abrogation of the toll gates was a wrong government policy, stressing that the absence of toll gates on the country’s major highways have contributed to the poor funding and subsequent lack of maintenance of roads aside the added advantage of toll gates serving as checks on most criminal activities on major highways including escalated cases of armed robbery.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/minister-explains-reintroduction-of-toll-gates/
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by amaham(m): 7:48am On Nov 08, 2011
If dat is de case I hav no cause to worry b/cos all de federal roads I ply are derelict, so de toll gates ain't comin near me sooner
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by dplordx(m): 8:11am On Nov 08, 2011
Where is Beaf! You should be fired! See how the Minister of Works, Mr. Mike Onolememen did an excellent job without name calling and clarified an issue without any form of nazi propaganda. Why does GEJ flock himself with bum-kissers and failures. He should get more of Onolememen abeg who can explain issues.
I am sure if they get the right people for the job, this subsidy issue wont be a big deal if properly explained to the masses.
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by hercules07: 8:13am On Nov 08, 2011
I am waiting for those opposed to the Lekki toll gate project to come here and defend the FG.
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by Sunofgod(m): 9:01am On Nov 08, 2011
Another tax on the masses,
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by Bawss1(m): 9:39am On Nov 08, 2011
Excellent timing for re-introducing this toll considering that the govt is gearing towards fuel subsidy removal.
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by 4tune1(m): 10:18am On Nov 08, 2011
OBJ's reasons for toll gates demolition then was that there was no proper accountability and usage of d proceeds. But then increases d fuel pump price by 2naira as road maintainance tax(hope I'm right). Hope they won't forget to remove d 2naira from d fuel price now if toll plazas are to be reintroduce? Naija i dey hail o.
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by babalo1: 8:48pm On Nov 08, 2011
sounds good
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by Sunofgod(m): 8:50pm On Nov 08, 2011
In the last couple of months we've heard from GEJ's Govt about:

- Removal of fuel subsidy = hidden tax
- Introduction of toll gates = hidden tax
- Introduction of 5% fuel levy = hidden tax
- ATM Transaction fee = Hidden tax
- Levying of income tax = unhidden tax
- Indirect Taxation = unhidden tax

. . . . it should be apparent what Okonjo-iweala/GEJ's administration is about.
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by kelz88(f): 8:50pm On Nov 08, 2011
Transparency my a s s!! We all know it wont all go to repairing roads. Your pockets are about to be enriched. Poor citizens are already spending money on gen, fuel for the gen, transportation on the nasty roads, etc now toll gate fee. What do they get back in return? Definitely not security or constant electricity.
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by fm7070: 9:30pm On Nov 08, 2011
GEJ and his cabinet is shameless.
He should come and learn from Fashola.
Its a shame when FGN now needs to borrow ideas from state
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by djustice: 9:40pm On Nov 08, 2011
This minister is a fool and an empty headed follow-follow, looking for a way to line the pockets of some people. He should be sacked right now, because he's going to be a trouble magnet for this administration.

He wants to copy what Fashola is doing in Lagos that has already failed, because the people have refused to pay any tolls on that road, and the government is the one now paying Tinubu's company N4.5b every month on behalf of all Lagosians.

Will the federal government do the same AFTER removing oil subsidies? Does he want the government to be looked upon as an ANTI-PEOPLE government

I can understand the economic reasoning behind the removal of subsidies, but what's the rationale for this blatant, shameless display of utter stupidity and crass insensitivity??

Jonathan had better sacrifice him now, before he taints this administration and plants it firmly on the wrong side of the aspirations of the ordinary struggling Nigerian. Thank God he wasn't elected to that position and only sits there at the pleasure of the President. If Jonathan doesn't sack him, WE WILL KNOW THAT JONATHAN STANDS AGAINST THE PEOPLE OF NIGERIA.

BEAF, TAKE NOTE!!
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by ASANIGBO(m): 9:42pm On Nov 08, 2011
WAYS

OF

CHOPING

MONI

IN

NAIJA
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by kpozite(m): 10:05pm On Nov 08, 2011
Desperate strategies to syphon back the 18,000 minimum wage. ''No waste of tym FG 'll say to themselves this, lie lie subsidy removal and naira devaluation. Lets collect the wage back 3x faster''. Sori 9ja civil servants
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by kpozite(m): 10:07pm On Nov 08, 2011
Desperate strategies to syphon back the  18,000 minimum wage. ''No waste of tym FG 'll say to themselves this, lie lie subsidy removal and naira devaluation. Lets collect the wage back 3x faster''. Sori 9ja civil servants
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by houvest: 10:10pm On Nov 08, 2011
If that will stop our highways from being death traps it is welcome. OBJ made a wrong move there and it has caused so much deaths. The little toll one pays is small compared to the lives that it could save. Concessioning of the Toll plazas must be used to avoid mismanagement.
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by crowaddy(m): 10:17pm On Nov 08, 2011
The country is Broke so Govt. is looking at all avenues to raise revenue.
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by samyng(m): 10:19pm On Nov 08, 2011
[size=15pt]Na wah oo let try and see how it goes na.[/size]
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by Remii(m): 11:23pm On Nov 08, 2011
crowaddy:

The country is Broke so Govt. is looking at all avenues to raise revenue.

a country that spends 75% of her income to pay salaries of non productive politicans' will remain broke.
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by Faithnn: 11:33pm On Nov 08, 2011
Removal of fuel subsidy and re-introduction of toll plaza is additional load to poor masses.When toll plaza was in existence,we were still having bad roads.The govt dont have the interest of the people in mind hence the reason for all these mess.There are soo many avenues to generate fund other than toll plaza.Let us watch and see how it goes.
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by aieromon(m): 11:59pm On Nov 08, 2011
homerac7:

“The toll gates would not be re-introduced to any road that had not been rehabilitated and reconstructed to the level of it being qualified as fit and proper by global standards.

Oga Minister,make i no see your yeye toll gate for Lagos-Benin expressway until you rehabilitate am. angry angry angry

I know you're gonna deny making this statement in years to come.
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by musiwa43: 3:55am On Nov 09, 2011
Welcome to Yorubaland. How can anyone think , he will put toll gates on this road in Yorubaland,

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=$NX2PaYwv8A08NaehmysHy6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxTKZebw4$YRcw2G3tlS$zMInW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by micawber(m): 4:14am On Nov 09, 2011
musiwa,,.:

Welcome to Yorubaland. How can anyone think , he will put toll gates on this road in Yorubaland,

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=$NX2PaYwv8A08NaehmysHy6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxTKZebw4$YRcw2G3tlS$zMInW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]
DON'T MIND THEM!
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by musiwa43: 5:08am On Nov 09, 2011
And minister of sport , will come and collect gate fee in Yoruba stadium too.

Stadium in the Surulere stadium
[img width=550 height=365]http://2.bp..com/_Mf2suMFxc0U/THQDZ9L0WAI/AAAAAAAAAGw/fk1t7CcD-24/s1600/3.JPG[/img]

Olubadan stadium

[img width=550 height=365]http://www.picturingnigeria.com/site/uploaded.media/olubadan_stadium_2006_12_06_165715.jpg[/img]

Akure stadium

[img width=550 height=412]http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/24631910.jpg[/img]

Osogbo stadium

Ilekan salami stadium

[img width=550 height=412]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/72680_156348577744804_156347944411534_304371_1767589_n.jpg[/img]
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by musiwa43: 5:09am On Nov 09, 2011
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by musiwa43: 5:11am On Nov 09, 2011
or you want to see what the nigeria did in the north

Here is the north

kaduna stadium
[img width=550 height=412]http://i52.tinypic.com/2ni31h0.jpg[/img]

Kano stadium

[img width=550 height=318]http://3.bp..com/_x29e5WPQI6c/THw3m7q9arI/AAAAAAAAABo/VWxYOMdHn6c/s1600/sports3.JPG[/img]

abuja
[img width=550 height=122]http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/1463351.jpg[/img]
[img width=550 height=414]http://i45.tinypic.com/2m83w38.jpg[/img]

[img width=550 height=412]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4267997437_b70a2e145c_o.jpg[/img]
[img width=550 height=412]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4333450779_67d3a5258d_b.jpg[/img]

[img width=550 height=412]http://www.flutlicht-beling.de/images/referenzen/2007-jalingo_03.jpg[/img]
[img width=550 height=388]http://shelterdevelopmentltd.com/images/Picture/Sta%20(9).jpg[/img]

[img width=550 height=372]http://www.isiphotos.net/images/index.proxy.php?cmd=image&image_id=138402[/img]
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by Challas(m): 6:27am On Nov 09, 2011
That Works Minister is just a Chronic Lier,last 2 months after a FEC Meeting he told d world that work will begin in earnest at the Enugu - Onitsha Express way but i can tell u that nothing and i mean nothing is happening on that road uptill now.I wonder why Gej should surround himself with sycophants and scoundrels."i've not  even perceived d promised fresh air,i always wonder wen that will come"
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by yommysomguy(m): 6:37am On Nov 09, 2011
Dont wonder. Ask him
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by Mcleo007(m): 7:47am On Nov 09, 2011
Egbon MuSIWA at it again. Here goes the pictorial backing of claims with facts. Keep it up bro. smiley

Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by AZeD1(m): 8:49am On Nov 09, 2011
Challas:

That Works Minister is just a Chronic Lier,last 2 months after a FEC Meeting he told d world that work will begin in earnest at the Enugu - Onitsha Express way but i can tell u that nothing and i mean nothing is happening on that road uptill now.I wonder why Gej should surround himself with sycophants and scoundrels."i've not  even perceived d promised fresh air,i always wonder wen that will come"
Show me your ministers friends and i'll tell who you are
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by mustspin: 10:15am On Nov 09, 2011
@ musiwa u r a fool, y must u cum here to display negative images, must you show your dislike for the yorubaland foolishly, y not show pictures of the liberty stadium in ibadan, the gateway stadium ijebu ode or the national stadium surulere? so you wanna feed people with rubbish about the yorubaland? every part of the country have decaying infrastructures so please use your brain to help move the nation forward rather than this foolish procastination u going about with
Re: Minister Explains Reintroduction Of Toll Gates by bisiaet: 10:19am On Nov 09, 2011
Please posters what has the Minister got to explain ? Explain what? Is explanation the solution Nigerians are seeking for?? Is toll gate the solution for a better road?? Minister whatever you called "my foot" your explanation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Raufach Edgar Kidnapped German Dies In Botched Rescue Operation In Kano / Are All Nigerian Leaders Corrupt? / Buhari Falls Sick Again, Secretely Flown Abroad Yesterday Midnight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.