Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,181 members, 7,849,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:15 AM

PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims (8560 Views)

How Fulani Herdsmen Overpowered Policemen, Soldiers In Plateau – Victims / Zamfara Market Fire: APC Governors Donate N50m, 6 PDP Governors Donate N100M / Ministry Of Works Allocates N100m To Road Rehabilitated By RCCG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by blacknp(m): 9:00am On Feb 02
valentineuwakwe:
They should then collectively sponsor a bill on it for senate to amend the constitution n give it a legal backing......enough of this mere talks all the time!
People that cannot organize ordinary vigilantes want state police?

You give Obaseki or any Governor state police, how will the opposition win any election?

If you can mention just one state in the Federal Republic of Nigeria today in which local government elections were conducted, and the opposition party won just 1 local government in the election, I would admit you have common sense.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by U09ce: 9:09am On Feb 02
It's places like Plateau where state police will cause more chaos. They'll exterminate the minority population

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by blacknp(m): 9:10am On Feb 02
nothingspoil70:
Imagine Governor Yaya Bello with a state police, imagine emperor Wike with his own police? The governors are already too powerful

I think their immunity should be removed first, before adding to their power

And the local government autonomy should be taken seriously, to check balance them
Very Intelligent man, I concur 100%.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by blacknp(m): 9:12am On Feb 02
ShangTsung000:
IYOO.....

If you still believe in one Nigeria, you're the problem.

ONYE ANWULU!!!
Charity they say begins @ home, go back to the future, so that your people who put you in this problem will give birth to you in Togo or Ghana, or maybe Cameroon would have been your preferred country of choice?

No body force them to born you for Naija, People like you that have nothing to offer The Federal Republic of Nigeria was a mistake in existence in the first instance.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by ShangTsung000: 9:20am On Feb 02
blacknp:
Charity they say begins @ home, go back to the future, so that your people will give birth to you in Togo or Ghana, or maybe Cameroon would have been your preferred country of choice?

No body force them to born you for Naija, People like you that have nothing to offer The Federal Republic of Nigeria was a mistake in existence.

IYOO....

You're a first class fo.ol for coming into my mentions to talk about your dwindling mental stability. Dingbat!!

ONYE ANWULU!!!
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by blacknp(m): 9:22am On Feb 02
ShangTsung000:

IYOO....

You're a first class fo.ol for coming into my mentions to talk about your dwindling mental stability. Dingbat!!

ONYE ANWULU!!!
Like daddy & mummy that you claimed put you in this problem?
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by blacknp(m): 9:36am On Feb 02
blacknp:
Very Intelligent man, I concur 100%.
Idiot Pdp Governors, how many laws have your state houses of assembly passed to curb insecurity in your individual states based on their terrains, how many death sentences have you signed to exterminate this kidnappers?

Where is the audit of the security votes money received from Abuja on how it was spent?
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by Indispensable85(m): 9:46am On Feb 02
We're not ripe for that yet. Governors in Nigeria are satanic emperors. They'll finish their opponents in the States. Emperors that have been fighting against autonomy for state assembly and local government.

The governors are reckless abusers of powers. The status quo should remain for now until we're matured enough. Let them set up local vigilantes in their states and fund them very well. It'll yield results.

1 Like

Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by Dozis: 9:58am On Feb 02
blacknp:
Your state government no fit provide job & food for you, you want Tinubu to feed you, & The Almijiris In Gombe,, & Birin Kebbi also?
You lack sense, where did I mention feeding or giving me a job?
I have a job, everyone is not as jobless as you are.
This thread is about insecurity, the killings, the kidnapping, ethnic and religious tensions across the land which falls under the jurisdiction of the federal government, I hope it's not too big for you small brain to comprehend.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by Mvnster: 10:31am On Feb 02
nothingspoil70:
Imagine Governor Yaya Bello with a state police, imagine emperor Wike with his own police? The governors are already too powerful

I think their immunity should be removed first, before adding to their power

And the local government autonomy should be taken seriously, to check balance them
If emperor wike wants to eliminate you all he needs do is plant evidence against you and send you to jail with the state judiciary in his pocket, or he can make use of his thugs if he wants. How many of that has he done?
This excuse is just too lame.
The real fear from the core north is seccession. Its high time governors and senators from the south and middle belt put hands together for peace to reign.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by forgiveness: 10:31am On Feb 02
nairalanda1:
State police cannot work in NIgeria.

Now, before you start calling me anti-progress, and anti-People, and fulani lackey, I believe that every state should have a police force. But in NIgeria, we got two issues

1.Most of the states do not have the funding to fund a properly equipped police force. Yes, the security votes they give governors could help, but to form a police force, with working equipment, forensics, training, and well armed is going to take more than just security vote.

Our current VP when he was governor used his security vote one year to buy 48 hilux trucks for the security forces. NOw imagine he was fuding state police. THat means after buying the hilux, he has no cash left over. OK.o. And value of naira has fallen since 2013.

2.Tribal and religious bias. SO what happens when there is tribal and religious conflict, and the police is majoirty from one side of the tribe? SOme people can still remember the pogroms of the 1960's. Police could do nothing. MOst of them were from one side.

ANyway, until states are ready to tax more of their gdp, and until we wake up and realize why we need fairness, we are not ready for state police. (Splitting the country won't solve the problems either)

Meaning, killing, kidnapping, ritualism etc should continue until state can fund themselves, right?

Let me help you.

1. Funding can't be an issue for some states that prioritize safety of life and properties. Lagos, Rivers, Ogun, Kano, etc can fund their own state police.

Requirements must be set by the federal government for states willing to operate state police and once it's met should be allowed to function while states that cannot meet up should continue to rely on federal police. Very simple.

2. The federal police just like FBI will monitor the activities of state police and execute capital offenses. That's why we have Judiciary system of government. Anyone aggrieved can see for redress at the court of law.

So, you point state police will not work is null and void.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by amaechi185: 11:49am On Feb 02
It's good but the fear is Power drunk leaders using them to persecute opponents. Imagine someone like Wike controlling his own police.It's good but the fear is Power drunk leaders using them to persecute opponents. Imagine someone like Wike controlling his own police....
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by nairalanda1(m): 12:06pm On Feb 02
forgiveness:

Meaning, killing, kidnapping, ritualism etc should continue until state can fund themselves, right?

Let me help you.

1. Funding can't be an issue for some states that prioritize safety of life and properties. Lagos, Rivers, Ogun, Kano, etc can fund their own state police.

Requirements must be set by the federal government for states willing to operate state police and once it's met should be allowed to function while states that cannot meet up should continue to rely on federal police. Very simple.

Even the states you mentioned cannot fund state police. Let's be honest.

PLus even if what you said is true...that means some states get state police, some don't.

Then how about we talk about maintenance of the police year in and out. Welcome taxes...which most of you would grumble about.

2. The federal police just like FBI will monitor the activities of state police and execute capital offenses. That's why we have Judiciary system of government. Anyone aggrieved can see for redress at the court of law.

Except that we don't have that level...plus the funding thing is still hanging

So, you point state police will not work is null and void.

[/quote]

You also dodged the tribal and religious issues, and you still did not aswer the funding issue adequately.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by J3susFr3ak: 12:48pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

Now, before you start calling me anti-progress, and anti-People, and fulani lackey, I believe that every state should have a police force. But in NIgeria, we got two issues

1.Most of the states do not have the funding to fund a properly equipped police force. Yes, the security votes they give governors could help, but to form a police force, with working equipment, forensics, training, and well armed is going to take more than just security vote.

Our current VP when he was governor used his security vote one year to buy 48 hilux trucks for the security forces. NOw imagine he was fuding state police. THat means after buying the hilux, he has no cash left over. OK.o. And value of naira has fallen since 2013.

2.Tribal and religious bias. SO what happens when there is tribal and religious conflict, and the police is majoirty from one side of the tribe? SOme people can still remember the pogroms of the 1960's. Police could do nothing. MOst of them were from one side.

ANyway, until states are ready to tax more of their gdp, and until we wake up and realize why we need fairness, we are not ready for state police. (Splitting the country won't solve the problems either)

With regards to funding...there are creative ways to remedy this alongside a sensible tax system to fund the State Police. An intelligent State Government might not even need to undergo a large recruitment process for the State Security in ways that negatively impacts the State's bottoming. All they have to do is to look within their existing civil service. There are able bodied men who do nothing there but sleep and hike about half the time. Offer anyone willing the option to work 3 times a day in the office as part of their normal duties and the remaining two days they have to down their State Police uniform and be on active patrol in vulnerable areas.

Of course there will a few full time State Police Officers but if the large part of the work force is also recruited from the existing civil service system where every worker is drafted two days a week to serve....then it will not impact the State's salary budget. I think I know some younger workers who will prefer playing Rambo in the bush patrols than dozing in the office.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by nairalanda1(m): 12:53pm On Feb 02
J3susFr3ak:

With regards to funding...there are creative ways to remedy this alongside a sensible tax system to fund the State Police. An intelligent State Government might not even need to undergo a large recruitment process for the State Security in ways that negatively impacts the State's bottoming. All they have to do is to look within their existing civil service. There are able bodied men who do nothing there but sleep and hike about half the time. Offer anyone willing the option to work 3 times a day in the office as part of their normal duties and the remaining two days they have to down their State Police uniform and be on active patrol in vulnerable areas.

Then you would have a state police force that is full of unwilling, unproductive, and unserious people.

Police work in many ways is a vocation somewhat. You have to want to do it. Forcing people in produces a useless force.

And Nigerians and tax ehn...

Of course there will a few full time State Police Officers but if the large part of the work force is also recruited from the existing civil service system where every worker is drafted two days a week to serve....then it will not impact the State's salary budget. I think I know some younger workers who will prefer playing Rambo in the bush patrols than dozing in the office.

Even then, most of them would be unwilling. They joined civil service to siddon for office, not to be olopa

There is still the tribal and religious issue as well as governor turning force into personal revenge outfit.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by paramakina202: 12:56pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

The only reason it can't work is corruption nothing else.
If dedicated terror groups like bokoharam can arm themselves to the teeth why can't states that their governors embezzles 800m to a billion naira monthly security votes?
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by nairalanda1(m): 1:02pm On Feb 02
paramakina202:

The only reason it can't work is corruption nothing else.
If dedicated terror groups like bokoharam can arm themselves to the teeth why can't states that their governors embezzles 800m to a billion naira monthly security votes?

Well, 800 million cannot fund state police. Not even one billion. A state needs many times that. Corruption is also evil and must be dealt with.

Boko Haram funds itself by raiding and robbery...and they also benefited from the glut of weapons brought in from LIbya when GHaddafi fell from power. And they fight unconventionally. They attack a small village, kill people , scare everyone...and run off before the armed services come in. Did I mention the village is usually remote? That's the game they play...to scare people. In reality, they have been on the retreat since 2014 and they no longer have the capacity to bomb cities like they used to do.

Bandits, kidnap people, use them as human shields. And if the cops went in in full force, they would kill the captives, and then go and face the cops. Hence everyone is now 'negotiating'.

But to the topic...we need far more than a billion to fund state police. We need to build training facilites, forensics, communuications, transport, even a small prision service, etc etc, etc.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by paramakina202: 1:13pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

Well, 800 million cannot fund state police. Not even one billion. A state needs many times that. Corruption is also evil and must be dealt with.

Boko Haram funds itself by raiding and robbery...and they also benefited from the glut of weapons brought in from LIbya when GHaddafi fell from power. And they fight unconventionally. They attack a small village, kill people , scare everyone...and run off before the armed services come in. Did I mention the village is usually remote? That's the game they play...to scare people. In reality, they have been on the retreat since 2014 and they no longer have the capacity to bomb cities like they used to do.

Bandits, kidnap people, use them as human shields. And if the cops went in in full force, they would kill the captives, and then go and face the cops. Hence everyone is now 'negotiating'.

But to the topic...we need far more than a billion to fund state police. We need to build training facilites, forensics, communuications, transport, even a small prision service, etc etc, etc.

Without corruption states can fund their police.
Citizens will gladly serve to protect their homes and families.
Rich indigenes can be donating to their state police to see that its meeting with her obligations.
Friendly countries can help in training and equipment.
If bokoharam can fund their armed group why can't a state in Nigeria.
And finally,state police should go hand in hand with resource control.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by nairalanda1(m): 1:14pm On Feb 02
paramakina202:

Without corruption states can fund their police.
Citizens will gladly serve to protect their homes and families.
Rich indigenes can be donating to their state police to see that its meeting with her obligations.
Friendly countries can help in training and equipment.
If bokoharam can fund their armed group why can't a state in Nigeria.
And finally,state police should go hand in hand with resource control.

Well, even then, either we raise our tax to gdp, and states become more productive, then we can get state police.

OIl money is already over extended.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by paramakina202: 1:21pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

Well, even then, either we raise our tax to gdp, and states become more productive, then we can get state police.

OIl money is already over extended.

You are just being over pessimistic over the idea of state police.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by nairalanda1(m): 1:25pm On Feb 02
paramakina202:

You are just being over pessimistic over the idea of state police.

Yes, because we cannot afford it.

We have a low tax to gdp ratio. Anytime I mention that , and mention the need to increase it on this site, I get a lot of abuse, insults, and the usual 'The government would chop the monney anyway, so why bother'.(ANd I also get called a tinubu supporter. Lol).

Yep, if this is how most people here think.....yep, I am pessimistic. After all, even the parties have difficulty raising money from faithful party members. So, what makes you think they would pay more in taxes?

I am not opposed to state police ultimately, but I know Nigerians. There is a reason why we have a federal police.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by paramakina202: 1:38pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

Yes, because we cannot afford it.

We have a low tax to gdp ratio. Anytime I mention that , and mention the need to increase it on this site, I get a lot of abuse, insults, and the usual 'The government would chop the monney anyway, so why bother'.(ANd I also get called a tinubu supporter. Lol).

Yep, if this is how most people here think.....yep, I am pessimistic. After all, even the parties have difficulty raising money from faithful party members. So, what makes you think they would pay more in taxes?

I am not opposed to state police ultimately, but I know Nigerians. There is a reason why we have a federal police.

So you know better than the governors who are advocating for it?
I have asked you severally without answer,if criminals can arm themselves to terrorise our communties why can't state form and arm state police to protect law abiding citizens?Many communities in Igboland are self funding vigilante groups.
I do not know about the other people but if allowed, Igbo people can fund their state police.Communities can be task to contribute towards the funding of state police.But I know you may come from a region who expect everything to be done by your government.No self help development.I understand.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by nairalanda1(m): 1:59pm On Feb 02
paramakina202:

So you know better than the governors who are advocating for it?
I have asked you severally without answer,if criminals can arm themselves to terrorise our communties why can't state form and arm state police to protect law abiding citizens?Many communities in Igboland are self funding vigilante groups.
I do not know about the other people but if allowed, Igbo people can fund their state police.Communities can be task to contribute towards the funding of state police.But I know you may come from a region who expect everything to be done by your government.No self help development.I understand.

It does not matter what governors say. There are many in APC, governors inclusive, who advocated for state police. Where are they now.?

A criminal will always arm themselves, either way, you need a well funded state police to deal with them. Unless you want us to lie to ourselves, the funds are not there. This is not pessimisim, this is cold hard fact.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by paramakina202: 2:06pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

It does not matter what governors say. There are many in APC, governors inclusive, who advocated for state police. Where are they now.?

A criminal will always arm themselves, either way, you need a well funded state police to deal with them. Unless you want us to lie to ourselves, the funds are not there. This is not pessimisim, this is cold hard fact.

Okay let us disband Nigeria police because it is not well funded and have failed to do their jobs until Nigeria government is able to properly fund and equipt an efficient police force like your expectations of state police.
If the federal funded police is getting the job done nobody will be talking about state police.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by nairalanda1(m): 2:08pm On Feb 02
paramakina202:

Okay let us disband Nigeria police because it is not well funded and have failed to do their jobs until Nigeria government is able to properly fund and equipt an efficient police force like your expectations of state police.
If the federal funded police is getting the job done nobody will be talking about state police.

Or we fund it better and spend more money on it.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by paramakina202: 2:19pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

Or we fund it better and spend more money on it.

Nigeria police force is irredeemably a very corrupt institution.
Rather use the money in funding of state police and like I said earlier state police should go hand in hand with resource control with resource control by each state the question of funding will disappear.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by bjdon: 2:26pm On Feb 02
nairalanda1:

You have raised some valid points, but these can all be addressed:
--The FG budget would be drastically reduced as a lot of the functions will now be carried out by state police, so basically the FG can 'rebate' funds to the states for policing

---State police does not mean the end of Federal police. Many countries have multiple levels of law enforcement from town to state to Federal The Federal police would still exist and would mainly be dealing with crimes across state boundries, economic crimes and prevention of wide scale break down in law and order. If there were other such tribal based riots, it would be the Federal police that would have the responsibility to maintain law and order and protect innocent people

Basically the current situation is simply not working. Effective law and order must start from the grassroots upwards.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by nairalanda1(m): 2:34pm On Feb 02
bjdon:

You have raised some valid points, but these can all be addressed:
--The FG budget would be drastically reduced as a lot of the functions will now be carried out by state police, so basically the FG can 'rebate' funds to the states for policing

I see where you are going...but the problem is, we aren't even earning enough money federally speaking, so, even with a rebate it just means that each state gets tiny amounts of money that won't do much.

IN my opinion, funds for a future state police are going to come from taxation. Hefty taxation.

---State police does not mean the end of Federal police. Many countries have multiple levels of law enforcement from town to state to Federal The Federal police would still exist and would mainly be dealing with crimes across state boundries, economic crimes and prevention of wide scale break down in law and order. If there were other such tribal based riots, it would be the Federal police that would have the responsibility to maintain law and order and protect innocent people

TO address tribal bias needs more than just what you have put here. We have to have a working competitive economy, and people have to stop being suspicious of others for nothing. ANd we have to stop alllowing government to be the main employer...

There is the problem, raised by others, of Mr Governor using the force as a personal tool.

Basically the current situation is simply not working. Effective law and order must start from the grassroots upwards.

Largely because

1.NIgeria police is underfunded. It's budget is one tenth of what the NYPD In the US gets, yet people expect it to perform like the NYPD to police 200 million people...when the NYPD Has to police just 11 million at most.

2.Not enough manpower....

3.Lack of innovation. We got a kidnap epidemic. this calls for specialist forces . Nothing much is being done.
Re: PDP Governors Advocate State Police, Donate N100m To Assist Plateau Victims by Quebec91(m): 3:22pm On Feb 02
Splitting the country wont work either, since you are the Politics braniac, why not suggest solution not just identifying problems
nairalanda1:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Amaechi Disobeys Order to Receive President Jonathan at PH (PHOTOS) / Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls / Photo Of Fake And Real Shekau: Australian Davis Confirms Shekau Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.