Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,375 members, 7,836,528 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church (320 Views)

Catholic Church Otukpo Built By David Mark (Photos) / Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church / Bride-To-Be Swept Away By Flood In Anambra Catholic Church (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Gidigbam001: 9:54pm On Feb 05
Good day all.

A close female friend whose marriage is not working is seeking for how to file for a divorce.

Does anyone have idea of how she can go about it?

I was made to understand that getting a divorce in catholic church is almost impossible.

I need suggestions, please.
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by immortalcrown(m): 9:55pm On Feb 05
Only infidelity (not sexual unfaithfulness) can make Catholic divorce the marriage.
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Gidigbam001: 9:58pm On Feb 05
immortalcrown:
Only infidelity (not sexual unfaithfulness) can make Catholic divorce the marriage.

The union is just not working.

Nonstop quarrels.

The woman has moved out of the man's house for close to 2 years now. She just wants to severe the bond completely so that she can live her life.

1 Like

Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by ShenTeh(m): 10:04pm On Feb 05
Gidigbam001:

Nonstop quarrels.

The woman has moved out of the man's house for close to 2 years now. She just wants to severe the bond completely so that she can live her life.

Please tell your friend to go back to her home and be humble.

1 Like

Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by immortalcrown(m): 10:04pm On Feb 05
Gidigbam001:

Nonstop quarrels.

If any of them has a serious illness and the partner didn't find out until after the wedding, Catholic will dissolve the marriage with the couple's consent.
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by VeryWickedMan: 10:08pm On Feb 05
Impregnate a Reverend Sister.

Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Gidigbam001: 10:15pm On Feb 05
ShenTeh:

Please tell your friend to go back to her home and be humble.

My brother, personally I kicked against divorce believing that with time they can mend their differences.

Two years has passed and no sign of reconciliation or change of mind from both parties.

Before life geta involved, I had to think inline for divorce.
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Kobojunkie: 10:25pm On Feb 05
Gidigbam001:
■ Good day all. A close female friend whose marriage is not working is seeking for how to file for a divorce. Does anyone have idea of how she can go about it? I was made to understand that getting a divorce in catholic church is almost impossible. I need suggestions, please.
Abegi! If your friend wants a divorce, she will go to the courts like anyone else and get it done. Using the Catholic corporation as an excuse means she is not ready to move on from the marriage. Ask her the real reason for her hesitation. undecided
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Kobojunkie: 10:27pm On Feb 05
Gidigbam001:
The union is just not working. Nonstop quarrels. The woman has moved out of the man's house for close to 2 years now. She just wants to severe the bond completely so that she can live her life.
She is lying to you! grin
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Gidigbam001: 10:41pm On Feb 05
Kobojunkie:
Abegi! If your friend wants a divorce, she will go to the courts like anyone else and get it done. Using the Catholic corporation as an excuse means she is not ready to move on from the marriage. Ask her the real reason for her hesitation. undecided

Customary court referred her back to catholic church.

Said if it was just traditional marriage, they can come in. Me I just confuse.

My opinion was that it will just be to go to the court and file for a divorce. Never knew it can be this complex.
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Gidigbam001: 10:43pm On Feb 05
Kobojunkie:
She is lying to you! grin

I am fully aware of the whole scenerio. I am not being told.
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Kobojunkie: 10:53pm On Feb 05
Gidigbam001:
Customary court referred her back to catholic church. Said if it was just traditional marriage, they can come in. Me I just confuse. My opinion was that it will just be to go to the court and file for a divorce. Never knew it can be this complex.
If your friend has with her a copy of the marriage certificate which she obtained when she got married then she could take that to the courts where she could easily file for divorce. undecided

1 Like

Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Kobojunkie: 10:56pm On Feb 05
Gidigbam001:
I am fully aware of the whole scenerio. I am not being told.
Well, if you know much about marriage, you would know that church groups or religious industries do not have the power to join or divorce... that power belongs to the State, and people sign up to have their marriages guaranteed by the State, the same way they sign on to have it dissolved by the state, not religious organizations. So, this mentioning of the church organization is a distraction if nothing else. undecided

1 Like

Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by MightySparrow: 11:51pm On Feb 05
Church doesn't have the power to divorce any marriage in Nigeria. Only court.

Let him go to court.

Better still, let him contact a marriage counselor.
Selfishness is mostly the reason most marriages don't work.
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Gidigbam001: 3:58am On Feb 06
Kobojunkie:
Well, if you know much about marriage, you would know that church groups or religious industries do not have the power to join or divorce... that power belongs to the State, and people sign up to have their marriages guaranteed by the State, the same way they sign on to have it dissolved by the state, not religious organizations. So, this mentioning of the church organization is a distraction if nothing else. undecided

I really appreciate your advice. Please pardon my next question if it sounds unreasonable.

Like somebody suggested, we will get the marriage certificate and head to the court. But can divorce cases be handled at maybe a magistrate court or high court? Because I don't understand why customary court referring her back to the church and all that without even suggesting that she comes with their marriage certificate. They made it look like only the church can divorce them.
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Gidigbam001: 4:08am On Feb 06
Kobojunkie:
If your friend has with her a copy of the marriage certificate she obtained when she got married, she can take that to the courts where she could easily file for divorce. undecided

Many thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it.

Can filing for a divorce be don in a high court or magistrate court? Cuz like I mentioned earlier, Customary court referred her back to Catholic church saying that since it wasn't just traditional marriage that it's beyond them - which am quite shocked to hear.

Also. She said she managed to move the few things she could lay her hands on when she was leaving as the man was prepared to go brutal for her to do proper parking. Said her academic credentials and some other documents are still in that house and she's not ready for any physical confrontation with the man. She's hoping that with the coming in of the court, the man can be mandated to allow her move her other belongings.
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Gidigbam001: 4:19am On Feb 06
MightySparrow:
Church doesn't have the power to divorce any marriage in Nigeria. Only court.

Let him go to court.

Better still, let him contact a marriage counselor.
*Selfishness* is mostly the reason most marriages don't work.

You are very much on point as bolded. I have observed strong fact of being selfish on the side of the man. I wouldn't even want to go into details to on this to avoid derailing this thread and you know they always say no 3rd party in marriage so I don't want to start telling the man how to run his home. I have on a friendly note tried telling him one or two how doing certain things helps the home and you know something little if not properly managed can grow into something very big.
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Kobojunkie: 5:07am On Feb 06
Gidigbam001:
I really appreciate your advice. Please pardon my next question if it sounds unreasonable.
Like somebody suggested, we will get the marriage certificate and head to the court. But can divorce cases be handled at maybe a magistrate court or high court? Because I don't understand why customary court referring her back to the church and all that without even suggesting that she comes with their marriage certificate. They made it look like only the church can divorce them
Customary court only concerns itself with traditional marriages and related issues. Sending her to a church was probably to give her the usual Nigerians runaround. undecided
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Kobojunkie: 5:12am On Feb 06
Gidigbam001:
∆ Also. She said she managed to move the few things she could lay her hands on when she was leaving as the man was prepared to go brutal for her to do proper parking. Said her academic credentials and some other documents are still in that house and she's not ready for any physical confrontation with the man. She's hoping that with the coming in of the court, the man can be mandated to allow her move her other belongings.
This part she should have been able to deal with by simply reporting her situation to get police. Over here, the police can go back there with her to get her things but I am not certain how such things are dealt with in Nigeria. You may want to ask a lawyer or someone else about how to proceed. . undecided

Delegislator undecided
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by KingLennon(m): 6:13am On Feb 06
What happen to the love they once shared? Marriage is becoming a sham these days
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Gidigbam001: 6:23am On Feb 06
Kobojunkie:
This part she should have been able to deal with by simply reporting her situation to get police. Over here, the police can go back there with her to get her things but I am not certain how such things are dealt with in Nigeria. You may want to ask a lawyer or someone else about how to proceed. . undecided

Delegislator undecided

Nigerian Police
. Hmmmmm. Always looking for avenues to exploit
Re: How Can Someone Get a Divorce In Catholic Church by Gidigbam001: 5:00pm On Feb 06
roshankapoor:
Divorce is a challenging and emotionally taxing experience for anyone involved. In Fairfax, Virginia, navigating the legal complexities of divorce requires skilled guidance and expertise. Divorce Lawyer Fairfax VA That's where a qualified divorce lawyer in Fairfax, VA, becomes indispensable. With their in-depth knowledge of Virginia family law and their commitment to advocating for their clients' best interests, a divorce lawyer in Fairfax, VA, provides invaluable support throughout the divorce process.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

(1) (Reply)

What Different Professionals Call You! / Massive Recruitment For The Position Of Business Development Representative / Refreshing Sleep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.