Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,022 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:29 AM

Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo (20573 Views)

Nigerian Man Shows Off How Much He Has Changed Five Months After Leaving Nigeria / "It Cost Me 2.5 Million To Live In Nigeria For Two Months" - Uk-based Woman / Pregnant RCCG Youth Leader Dies In An Auto Crash, Five Months After Her Wedding. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by dre11(m): 7:35pm On Feb 10
Professor Joy Ngozi Ezeilo, SAN

Joy Ezeilo, SAN, a Professor of Law, has decried the cost of flight ticket to Abidjan, Cote D’IVoire, saying she dreamt of watching the final of the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) live but was shocked with the price of ticket estimated at over N2.1m.

Many Nigerians have also frowned at the price of tickets to the neighboring country despite the distance.

The airlines flying to Abidjan, the capital of Ivory Coast are Nigeria’s Air Peace, Asky, Air Côte d’Ivoire.

Ezeilo, in a post on her social media handle, said the N2.1m quoted as a return air fare to Abidjan is equivalent to her five-month salary.

She wrote: “I am dreaming of watching AFCON 2024 live, and I enquired about flights to Abidjan to watch our Super Eagles play in the finals. I believed that Ivory Coast being so close (an hour and 35 minutes) wouldn’t cost me too much.

“However, my travel agent of over twenty years sent me a price quotation of N2,183,000.00 (two million, one hundred and eighty-three thousand Naira), which was a huge shock.

“I did the math and realized I would need to save my five months’ salary as a Professor of Law on the last professional step to buy one return ticket to a West African country.

“This is a sad reflection of our current economic realities. Please refrain from attempting to convert to US dollars- it’s extremely depressing and demystifying of a full professor position.

“This will push the resolve of brilliant young ones we’re training and mentoring to take over from us farther away from the classrooms to becoming political aspirants/election delegates.

“My alternative plan is to cut down on expenses. I have recharged my DSTV for N19,800, and I plan to buy twenty litres of fuel to generate power because we didn’t have electricity during the Semifinals.

“The match is a must-watch for me as it will be a breath of fresh air and a chance for me to forget about Nigeria’s many woes. I want to make a public notice for those asking for help that I have been posting that we haven’t been paid. Kindly note that my salary, which I received yesterday, has been mortgaged in arrears.

“Please be patient, and let’s hope we get the 8-month arrears from the ASUU strike or that NLC and FGN reach a new deal that will increase my wage.

“The struggle continues! Good luck to our Super Eagles! You’re in my thoughts and prayers!,”
she wrote.

https://thenationonlineng.net/watching-afcon-final-live-will-cost-me-five-months-salaries-law-professor/

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by Nazgul: 8:02pm On Feb 10
As a professor of law who as been in practice for decades, and a SAN, she can't tell me that she relies solely on her salary for survival.

For starters she should have her own Chambers, with young lawyers working there. She's should use her position as a Prof to get closer to politicians so her Chambers can be contracted to represent them.

I still find it very difficult to believe that a woman of her status depends totally on her salary.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by sameoldguy: 8:55pm On Feb 10
Her salary monthly is about $350? Wow!!!!!!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by kingphilip(m): 10:26pm On Feb 10
That's about #436,500 per month or approximately #450,000.

Well she can actually go for a cheaper option of less than #600 by subbing 2gb of data to a network and streaming the match live.

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by NuCypher: 4:48am On Feb 11
A sad reflection of the Nigerian society. A Professor of Law on the last professional step does not even earn as much as a graduate trainee in Mobil or Shell, and you expect Nigeria to do any better? This is joke!

88 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by izzou(m): 7:44am On Feb 11
Nazgul:
As a professor of law who as been in practice for decades, and a SAN, she can't tell me that she relies solely on her salary for survival.

For starters she should have her own Chambers, with young lawyers working there. She's should use her position as a Prof to get closer to politicians so her Chambers can be contracted to represent them.

I still find it very difficult to believe that a woman of her status depends totally on her salary.

Her point is about how the exchange rate has plunged her salary to pennies

Air Peace, Asky and Air CIV have their fares pegged in dollars, even though the naira conversion is there.

If the naira falls to 3000/$ today, the fare changes to 4 million.

The salary would not have been an issue if the floating didn't happen

128 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by adesegun121(m): 8:06am On Feb 11
Who asked u
Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by Jokerman(m): 8:07am On Feb 11
You can insult Good Luck Jonathan all you want because you are a hypocrite. But nobody protested of hunger during his time 😂

74 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by Virgo01(m): 8:07am On Feb 11
This is the unfortunate state of things in the country. How would one be motivated to teach in Nigeria when you will earn less than $500 a month at the very height of your career? This is absolutely nuts. Can't even wrap my head around it.

51 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by Bullfallo(m): 8:08am On Feb 11
Nigeria is far gone. This place use to be less than 100k before APC came in. I remembered flying to and fro to India with less than 180k

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by Eriokanmi: 8:08am On Feb 11
Why didn't you go by road earlier and enjoy your money in hotel ahead of the match?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by Scholace: 8:08am On Feb 11
What will you say about those on minimum wage payroll

4 Likes

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by HeadNigga: 8:08am On Feb 11
Prof watch it at home. This is luxury you are talking. Some people don't even have what to eat. Use projector to watch so it will look real ma

10 Likes

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by Hedonisco: 8:09am On Feb 11
And so what?
Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by Ybholy(m): 8:09am On Feb 11
I’m there. Paid close to that amount but not up to 2m

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by plumcomm: 8:09am On Feb 11
They will never be free from this lamentation.
Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by clockwisereport: 8:09am On Feb 11
Madam wacol
Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by Haakeem(m): 8:09am On Feb 11
adesegun121:
Who asked u
are you jealous sir🙄

8 Likes

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by sukkot: 8:09am On Feb 11
grin
Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by Scholace: 8:10am On Feb 11
Jokerman:
You can insult Good Luck Jonathan all you want because you are a hypocrite. But nobody protested of hunger during his time 😂
we were even throwing food away during Jonathan government. Nigerians enjoyed under Jonathan government

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by badoh(m): 8:11am On Feb 11
Madam Professor, sit your ass down in your house and watch the match with nice pepper soup and good wine.

1 Like

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by Edusouls(m): 8:11am On Feb 11
Una never see something, in 8years time for people that would still be alive , the world would be a gulag

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:12am On Feb 11
We rate professorship so much in Nigeria and I still can't understand why.

Professors are not nearly the highest paid in other advanced society.

My prorated pay as a lecturer is far less than if I was working full time in the industry in which I lecture.

2 Likes

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by TA4TA4: 8:12am On Feb 11
Dey play...lol
Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by slivertongue: 8:14am On Feb 11
2.1m the salary of some grade for two years

2 Likes

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by Petyr1: 8:15am On Feb 11
kingphilip:
That's about #436,500 per month or approximately #450,000.

Well she can actually go for a cheaper option of less than #600 by subbing 2gb of data to a network and streaming the match live.
how can I stream live with my phone

1 Like

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by maak400: 8:15am On Feb 11
Chai, Nigeria is gone, and that's why these politicians are looting every penny left, they know it's just a matter of time before the cookies crumble. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by poiZon: 8:15am On Feb 11
Nazgul:

For Ur mind, every lawyer na constitutional lawyer..

6 Likes

Re: Watching AFCON Final Live Will Cost Me Five Months’ Salaries – Joy Ezeilo by tunjijones(m): 8:16am On Feb 11
Nigeria is totally condemed. I don't think there is any way out. I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

It's not even about Tinubu, or Atiku or obi, it's about the system. If the system of governance in Nigeria is not changed or reformed. Things wld keep getting worse.

Have anyone noticed that the previous administration is always better in Nigeria. Things keep getting worse after each administration.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove / 25 Minutes Blackout At A Nigerian Airport / Gridlock As Fuel Tanker Catches Fire On Otedola Bridge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.