Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,937 members, 7,835,124 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February (6626 Views)

Tinubu To Present N27.5tr Budget For 2024 / 200 Young Boys Graduated From ISWAP Training Camps In February – ISS / N4.5tr Budget Deficit May Trigger Fresh Recession - Zainab Ahmed, Minister Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by Nemere2020: 10:49pm On Feb 14
The Federal Government seeks to borrow N2.5 trillion from its second FGN bond auction of 2024, according to the latest circular from the Debt Management Office (DMO).

According to the circular seen by Nairametrics, the auction is set for February 19, 2024, with the settlement date being February 21, 2024.

In the previous month, the DMO offered four bonds worth N90 billion each. The February auction appears to the first time the Federal Government is borrowing over a trillion through a single bond.

Details of the February Bond offer
The bond offerings are:

N1,250,000,000,000.00 – FGN FEB 2031 (7-Yr NEW)
N1,250,000,000,000.00 – FGN FEB 2034 (10-Yr NEW)
While the first is expected to mature in seven years, the second will mature in 10 years. They are both newly created bonds, and are offered at a unit price of N1,000, with a minimum subscription requirement of N50,001,000 and subsequent increments in multiples of N1,000. Interest payments on FGN bonds are made semi-annually (twice a year).

About FGN Bonds
The FGN bonds meet the criteria outlined in the Trustee Investment Act, allowing trustees to invest in them. Additionally, they qualify as Government securities under the Company Income Tax Act (CITA) and Personal Income Tax Act (PITA), ensuring they are tax-exempt for Pension Funds and other investors.

After the bonds are auctioned in the primary market to the primary dealer market makers, the bonds are then listed on both the Nigerian Exchange Limited and FMDQ OTC Securities Exchange, which are the secondary markets.

What you should know
In 2023, the Federal Government raised about N5.49 trillion through FGN bond auctions which were used to finance the 2023 budget deficit of N11.34 trillion.

In January, the Federal Government raised about N418.197 billion from the four bonds that were auctioned.

With the budget deficit in the 2024 budget put at N9.18 trillion, the Federal Government seems committed to borrowing more from the domestic market.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nairametrics.com/2024/02/14/fg-hopes-to-borrow-n2-5-trillion-from-fgn-bond-auction-in-february/%3famp=1

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by Validated: 10:50pm On Feb 14
If coupon rate is less than 35% it is not worth it.
Naira has lost over 700% and it is still losing. So, when you factor in currency risks plus inflation that is now out of control, an annual return of 50% is advisable. However on patriotic note, I will subscribe at 35% to keep Tinubu afloat. grin grin grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by Benia: 10:51pm On Feb 14
May god help us
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by gaby(m): 11:20pm On Feb 14
Borrow borrow...

I go come carry my hard-earned money lend to kleptos for 7-10 years when I'm not sure Nigeria will exist into 2025? Who I go hold to pay me back my money should anything happen?

God forbid.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by DeLaRue: 11:39pm On Feb 14
If the return is at least 20%, the bonds should sell very well.

A lot of people have billions sitting in banks doing nothing, and they don't necessarily need the money now. Getting a guaranteed 20% per annum may be attractive to them. Not everyone is interested in calling mallam's to change billions into dollars.

Also, because inflation is around 30% today doesn't mean it will always be at that level or higher during the 7 year term of the bond. It may come down significantly.

Equally, most businesses don't earn guaranteed annual net profit of 30% 40% or above. Some do, but not all. In the current economic climate, running a business profitably is very challenging

Some people have money but don't want the extreme hassle of running a business in Nigeria. For these sets of people, a 20% net annual profit for lending that money to the Federal government is an attractive proposition.

12 Likes

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by DeLaRue: 11:46pm On Feb 14
gaby:
Borrow borrow...

I go come carry my hard-earned money lend to kleptos for 7-10 years when I'm not sure Nigeria will exist into 2025?

God forbid.

It is a good strategy for the government.

Part of the reasons for the current high inflation is that Mr Buhari's government printed way too much naira.

The current government has been trying to get some of the excess naira liquidity out of the system.

One smart way of doing it is through the issuance of long term bonds. The money that individuals, companies, financial institutions, pension companies and foreign investors use to buy the bonds will be taken out of their bank accounts, thus reducing the amount of naira in the system.

As more of that liquidity is taken out of the system, it will help to bring down the rate of inflation.

The government has to use several tools to combat inflation. Issuance of long term bonds is one of them.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by gaby(m): 12:44am On Feb 15
DeLaRue:

It is a good strategy for the government.

Part of the reasons for the current high inflation is that Mr Buhari's government printed way too much naira.

The current government has been trying to get some of the excess naira liquidity out of the system.

One smart way of doing it is through the issuance of long term bonds. The money that individuals, companies, financial institutions, pension companies and foreign investors use to buy the bonds will be taken out of their bank accounts, thus reducing the amount of naira in the system.

As more of that liquidity is taken out of the system, it will help to bring down the rate of inflation.

The government has to use several tools to combat inflation. Issuance of long term bonds is one of them.

Okay, sir, thank you.

Please, excuse me sir, how about the ones loaded in bullion vans and empty houses by the same issuers of the long-term bonds, why aren't they dumping their loot for the bonds?

I hope you understand what leading by example means. Or is it that their Nairas have been redenominated in foreign currencies?

Just 10 of the rogues currently in power and the previous administrations will solve this economic quagmire if this was indeed feasible and what truly ails the country and her economy.

They should get patriotic and lead by example.

Heck, even just the President and his son can solve this if they got patriotic enough to dump their loots from the banking system.
Circus..

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by ValCon888: 1:29am On Feb 15
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by ValCon888: 1:29am On Feb 15
They keep borrowing trillions of naira in bond, to put unborn Nigerians in bondage.

8 Likes

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by Tianamen1: 2:22am On Feb 15
If the CBN (ways and means) does not purchase any bonds, we will be safe.
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by Franklyspeakin: 8:40am On Feb 15
There is an imminent crisis coming and it worries me. Tinubu has to take charge before muslim fasting commences. I see the north starting a major uprising then. what could fuel this crisis is the increment in Electricity, Gas and PETROL.
Things are quite expensive and there is serious hardship in the land. Also if i where the president i will limit external travels. A coup could occur with the loud support of the north and silent support of the East. Wahala dey come ooo. DSS take note

2 Likes

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by Haydens: 8:40am On Feb 15
Borrow borrow government.

Yorubads are technocrats, I don dey see am. All they know is to be doing try your luck, if it works fine if e nor work fine.

Be using people and Nigeria economy as lab rat.

When tribalism rules over a competent.

This is what happens to a stubborn fly.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by Westerhoffe(m): 8:40am On Feb 15
Can someone give us the success rate bet on this?

1 Like

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by mathewOB: 8:40am On Feb 15
Na wa o
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by rocknation62(m): 8:40am On Feb 15
APC borrow pose government…
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by MykellOni(m): 8:41am On Feb 15
A
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by Offpoint1: 8:41am On Feb 15
grin Nice one 😂
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by Stanislause94: 8:42am On Feb 15
This is just too funny
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by princepeter566: 8:42am On Feb 15
This government is favouring me and my family
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 8:42am On Feb 15
I think its high time the immunity clause for principal executive political officers got revoked for the good of the nation.

Buhari used his office and position to plunge this country into debts with nothing to show for it, yet he is a free man today.

Bulaba has continued from where he stopped, feeding his political friends and hangers on with our commonwealth and no one dares call him to order.

An executive officer who authorises or endorses actions and decisions that prove inimical to the well-being of the populace should be prosecuted and halted while still in office.

The president should be sued in his own right.
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by gentleg87(m): 8:42am On Feb 15
A nice move 🔥
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by SensualMan1(m): 8:42am On Feb 15
Tinubu is doing a good job on the economy,
Likewise Shettima on security!

On your mandate we shall stand
On your mandate we shall stand

4 Likes

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by specialmati(m): 8:42am On Feb 15
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin which type of cement tinubu used in building Lagos ?is he not the first class graduate again,does it mean all this noise from touts and agberos are just to put their chairman to rule and nothing else .well any plan to remove tinubu 🔥 fire,this dollar must hit 5000 in his first tenure then second tenure it must hit 10000.after then maybe the number of touts and agberos must have reduced

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by EnglishUsa: 8:42am On Feb 15
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by MADIFF: 8:44am On Feb 15
grin

Sultan of sokoto is right TINUBU IS THE CONTINUATION OF BUHARI.

1 Like

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by reiddecuti: 8:44am On Feb 15
The system is dead, let's face it.

The rulers have no idea (no matter how little it is) to inject into the system.

The rulers thinking say it's still business as usual still borrow and loot, borrow and loot and the circle continues.

The law breakers walk free after breaking the law with at least no minimum punishment melted to the law breakers as a deterrent to those who might think of breaking the law.

The looters loot and walk away free and the system celebrate them there by encouraging others to loot on a given opportunity.

To cap it all, the followers are more bigger problem for keeping mute while impunity goes on and on. Because of ethnicity, religion, ignorance, poverty, greed, the masses fail to be on the tails of the rulers.

I'm not a prophet of doom but let's face the fact, with these attitudes exhibited by the rulers and the masses, this country (Nigeria) will never work. The earlier we recognise the the truth and embrace it the better for us.

NB: Tinubu government is not a popular one and should have traded carefully when dishing out policies because since it's not a popular government, people will help him to fail.

1 Like

Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by silverkings: 8:44am On Feb 15
Bond..... Bondage..... Hahaha

Thank God say I don chop this morning. Lovebite and hot Akara....

Till evening... Dinner and sleep
Re: FG To Borrow N2.5tr Via FG Bond In February by Stevenson20: 8:45am On Feb 15
Borrow borrow government.

Borrow money, then loot it with the help of your cronies then lavish it on oloshos and buy personal properties abroad.

Tinubu will handle economy
Shettima will handle security

Daft people in power

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

FLASH NEWS!! Jigawa Cabinet Heads To APC! / Photo: Trailer Carrying Jonathans Bag Of Rice Has An Accident / Ndi-igbo Have More To Gain As Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.