Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,049 members, 7,810,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:32 PM

ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" (8993 Views)

Sit At Home: Why Has Nigerian Government Failed To Arrest Simon Ekpa? / Tinubu: Nigerians Don’t Want Failed Promises Repackaged And Fed To Them Again / Throwback Cartoon Of Failed Promises By Buhari On A Loaf Of Bread- Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by edogu(m): 5:07am On Feb 16
The Academic Staff Union of Universities said it is alarmed, going by the reports it received on the failed promises of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration towards addressing the lingering issues that forced the union to embark on a recent nationwide strike.

The union’s National President, Emmanuel Osodeke, disclosed this at a press conference in Umuahia, Abia State, on Wednesday, after its National Executive Council meeting held at the Niger Delta University, during the weekend.

Osodeke said, “The union undertook a comprehensive review of the state of its engagements with Federal and State Governments on how to reposition Nigeria’s public universities for a global reckoning by arresting the worsening living and working conditions in the universities and the nation at large.

“NEC was seriously alarmed by reports of the increasing number of Nigerian academics who have died or are currently nursing life-threatening ailments as a result of work-related stress and chronic pauperisation arising from failed promises by the governments and the general macroeconomic climate of the country and stated its desire to update Nigerians on developments since the suspension of our last national strike action on Friday, 14 October 2022 and our engagements with the current administration since its inception”.

ASUU, Osodeke said, therefore, reviewed its “renegotiation of FGN/ASUU 2009 agreement, withheld salary, arrears of earned academic allowances, illegal dissolution of governing councils, Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System, core curriculum minimum academic standard, proliferation of universities, victimisation and threats at Federal University of Technology, Owerri; TETFund intervention, underfunding of universities, and deepening socio-economic crisis”.

Osodeke said that the “FGN/ASUU agreement was in 2009. The union has been without a renegotiated agreement with the FGN for 15 years.”

Osodeke said the Federal Government has lately been evasive on payment of the backlog of the Earned Academic Allowances part of which was captured in the 2023 Budget for federal universities.

He added, “ASUU wonders why it must take another round of strike action to get the government to release lecturers’ entitlements that are already captured in the budget as made available to the union by Gbajabiamila.”

Osodeke added, “NEC reviewed the deepening socio-economic crisis which has worsened the insecurity situation in the country. While calling on the government to accelerate the process of arriving at a minimum living wage as demanded by the NLC, and NEC. calls on the Nigerian government to urgently review all IMF/World Bank sponsored economic policies which are increasingly degrading the quality of life of Nigerians.”

https://punchng.com/ASUU-raises-the-alarm-over-governments-failed-promises/?amp

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Nwodosis(m): 5:16am On Feb 16
Na ASUU members brought in the government of the day, let them not come and disturb our peace .

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Chukwuka319(m): 5:22am On Feb 16
I thought that under BAT administration,ASUU won't have any reason to complain about their welfare,but obviously the contrary is gradually becoming the case.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Franklyspeakin: 6:15am On Feb 16
Sadly Tinubus administration does not keep to any agreement. They are just noise makers with empty promises. It is well

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Authoreety: 6:33am On Feb 16
ASUU
Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by easyfem(m): 6:35am On Feb 16
so ASUU is trying to go back on strike again , omoooooo

shege banzaaa

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Akfrenzy(m): 6:36am On Feb 16
angry Another day another problem 🤠

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by symbianDON(m): 6:36am On Feb 16
This government isn't generally interested in welfare of the citizens...not just ASUU. A government who thinks the solution to sudden and drastic increase in petrol prices is a few measures of rice handed out to the citizens. All the lofty promises made in the name of so-called palliative, which has Tinubu fulfilled?

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Trustme2(m): 6:37am On Feb 16
Ok. Next
Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Dubetex96(m): 6:39am On Feb 16
Our professors are aiding and rigging this politicians into offices when they literally knew that these men are not to be trusted.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Yankee101: 6:39am On Feb 16
Tinubu na scam
He came in with scam

He’s ruling by scam

8 Likes

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Zetty177x: 6:41am On Feb 16
Nwodosis:
Na ASUU member brought in the government of the day, let them not come and disturb our peace .

Who be that ASUU member? Oshiomole?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by princepeter566: 6:41am On Feb 16
I think tinubu is a blessing I disguise to Nigeria. Tinubu is the reward of wrong electoral choice.
He built Lagos and South Africa. He'll build Nigeria.
The other day I heard some of his northern supporters are now IDPs in Niger republic because of hunger

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Stevenson20: 6:42am On Feb 16
The country is gradually coming to a standstill.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Irupetepete: 6:43am On Feb 16
Tinubu made a deal with the real devil, no be devil apprentice o, the real devil and devil I know feed on pains...
SHEGE IN THE MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR...

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by chicoMX(m): 6:44am On Feb 16
ASUU better go and sit down. Students now pay over ₦100k as tuition fees session. They better not think of going on strike

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by HateBigots: 6:49am On Feb 16
Everything have collapsed under Bulaba in less than a yeargrin grin ... imagine how things would be in 8 years time
Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by adyam: 6:50am On Feb 16
Strike when students are paying huge fees. Many are even dropping out of school. They better rethink
Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Meti99(m): 6:54am On Feb 16
In Tinubu's voice
I wished Nigerians are not hungry but there's nothing I can do.

I wished ASUU did not raise alarm but there's nothing I can do.

I wished Nigerians are not angry but there's nothing I can do ..

I wished Nigeria has good roads but there's nothing I can do..

I wished Boko Haram are not killing Nigerians but there's nothing I can do...

I wished there's good power supplies but there's nothing I can do

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Lovenorth: 6:58am On Feb 16
ASUU please go on strike because it's the only language Nigerian government understands

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by bonechamberlain(m): 6:59am On Feb 16
Nigeria is about to collapse.
Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by condralbedez: 6:59am On Feb 16
How any sane person would imagine that Tinubu administration, will be better than that of Buhari is what i can't fathom.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Timolande: 7:00am On Feb 16
Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Angelfrost(m): 7:04am On Feb 16
ASUU... Just face facts.

No administration has ever kept its promises to you fully in your protracted history of Industrial Actions.

...And this confused administration will be the last to start.

So, I will advise as many of you who can't continue with the failed educational system to resign massively and move on to other things.

The serious ones amongst you ought to have taken the Japa route years ago.

Personally, I am sick of you people bitching everyday.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by StatisticianDr: 7:05am On Feb 16
chicoMX:
ASUU better go and sit down. Students now pay over ₦100k as tuition fees session. They better not think of going on strike

Do you pay the money to ASUU or FG?

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by tuzle(m): 7:06am On Feb 16
adyam:
Strike when students are paying huge fees. Many are even dropping out of school. They better rethink
shockingly most school fees of federal universities is still not up to $100.
Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by Marvieduke(f): 7:06am On Feb 16
Sincerely our FG is a disgrace, the next thing you will hear is ASUU is on strike...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Raises Alarm Over Government’s "Failed Promises" by adyam: 7:08am On Feb 16
tuzle:
shockingly most school fees of federal universities is still not up to $100.
That $100 is a huge amount to an average Nigerian

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Of Erastus Akingbola, Femi Adekanye And Ralph Osayameh / Sanwo-Olu, Patrick Brown Discuss Bilateral Cooperation In Technology, Food / NNPC Signs Deal To Build Another 100,000bpd Refining Plant Within PH Refinery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.