Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,126 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:54 AM

President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. (301 Views)

Tinubu Responds To Questions On Climate Change (Video) / Abaribe Defects To APGA, Picks Senatorial Ticket / Atiku Speaks On Decamping From PDP To APGA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. by Harrison26(m): 7:27am On Feb 16
PRESIDENT TINUBU RESPONDS TO APGA NATIONAL CHAIRMAN'S CALL FOR STATE POLICE.

By Dr. Tony Olisa Mbeki Ogbonna

Following a meeting with the 36 State Governors yesterday, President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu has embraced the call made by the APGA National Chairman, Barr. Ezeokenwa Jr Sly urging the amendment of section 214 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) to introduce state police as a means to address the prevailing insecurity in the nation.

Recall that the APGA National Chairman, Barr. Sly Ezeokenwa, has been vocal in advocating for this change. In several interviews with major media outlets such as Channels, AIT, and various national dailies, Ezeokenwa has emphasized the notion that the federal government's role should primarily be safeguarding the country against external aggression, whilst individual states should assume the responsibility for internal security through the establishment of state police forces.

Ezeokenwa remarked, "President Tinubu, having considered this perspective, has demonstrated the leadership necessary to usher in such an important measure."

"President Tinubu's apparent support for this call marks a significant step towards addressing the nation's security challenges. The move also underscores the growing consensus for a more decentralized approach to security, allowing states to respond more effectively to local security needs. Additionally, it sets the stage for a potentially transformative shift in how security is managed and structured across the nation. As the discussions progress, the involvement of all relevant stakeholders, including state governments, security experts, and community leaders, will be crucial in shaping the implementation of this initiative and ensuring its success in enhancing the safety and well-being of all Nigerians."

The APGA National Chairman therefore commends the president for this move and urges the federal and state governments to indicate a keen interest in engaging with relevant stakeholders to further deliberate on this critical issue, in alignment with the broader goal of enhancing national security.

Re: President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. by EreluRoz: 7:34am On Feb 16
Nigerians are dying of hunger, I'm seeing heartbreaking videos everyday, please do something or you resign.

I'm not a witch to be so blind to people's suffering and nothing is being done about it.

Asiwaju please don't fall my hands, I campaigned vigorously for you, I told Nigerians to believe in you that you'll put smile in their faces.
Though the state police idea is a good one.

Before you tagg me to any nonsense please did you catch me red-handed casting my vote for him? If yes bring your proof forward or you keep shut

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Ogiame must not see this
Re: President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. by Entprys(m): 7:42am On Feb 16
I vote against State Police. Cos It won't favour fulani
Re: President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. by malali: 7:45am On Feb 16
If Nigerian states want state police,

1-There should be a vote in the house of representatives, If it passes then it moves to the senate.

2-If it passes, house of representatives, then the senate votes, if it passes the senate then it becomes Law.

3-If the president thinks otherwise he can veto it, if he agrees he signs it into existence.

Hopefully the State police doesn't end being Ballot box snatchers for the states Godfather.
Re: President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. by Blackfire(m): 7:49am On Feb 16
grin

How are u feeling over there in Nigeria

Seun sell NL to me , I will pay 13 billion naira , contact me
Re: President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. by malali: 7:54am On Feb 16
Blackfire:
grin

How are u feeling over there in Nigeria

Seun sell NL to me , I will pay 13 billion naira , contact me

Lets buy it together, I have also been trying to get him to sell to me.
Better still lets start a more interactive platform with a touch of AI.
Re: President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. by SoNature(m): 8:13am On Feb 16
malali:
If Nigerian states want state police,

1-There should be a vote in the house of representatives, If it passes then it moves to the senate.

2-If it passes, house of representatives, then the senate votes, if it passes the senate then it becomes Law.

3-If the president thinks otherwise he can veto it, if he agrees he signs it into existence.

Hopefully the State police doesn't end being Ballot box snatchers for the states Godfather.

State police cannot work without state governors having enough resources to sustain it.

At the moment, many states depend on federal allocation to pay their civil servants their monthly salaries. Imagine the effect state police will have on state coffers.

Before signing state police into law, allow all states to control the resources in their domain and pay taxes to the FG. All states have natural resources, but the FG controls everything.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. by malali: 8:17am On Feb 16
SoNature:

State police cannot work without state governors having enough resources to sustain it.

At the moment, many states depend on federal allocation to pay their civil servants their monthly salaries. Imagine the effect state police will have on state coffers.

Before signing state police into law, allow all states to control the resources in their domain and pay taxes to the FG. All states have natural resources, but the FG controls everything.

Unfortunately states cannot be allowed to control resources, imagine the corruption at the federal level, if we give it to states, the whole country will fall apart. States revenue generation are not equal. You cannot build federal roads in rivers state only and not provide security in borno. Eventually the bandits and kidnappers will be a national problem.

If your neighbors house is burning, it is a good idea to use your water to put it out soonest.
Re: President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. by SoNature(m): 8:27am On Feb 16
malali:

Unfortunately states cannot be allowed to control resources, imagine the corruption at the federal level, if we give it to states, the whole country will fall apart. States revenue generation are not equal. You cannot build federal roads in rivers state only and not provide security in borno. Eventually the bandits and kidnappers will be a national problem.

If your neighbors house is burning, it is a good idea to use your water to put it out soonest.

You have a point, but I don't totally agree with you. Like I wrote, all states have resources. However, state governors cannot control such wealth.

Besides, natural resource isn't the only way of creating wealth. For instance, Lagos State govt generates a lot of money from tolling motorists, ferries and BRT, adverts, property taxes, etc.

Other states need to take a cue from Lagos and harness their areas of comparative advantages. The problem of most governors is that they don't think out of the box because everyone gets a monthly handout from the FG.
Re: President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. by Stone03: 8:33am On Feb 16
EreluRoz:
Nigerians are dying of hunger, I'm seeing heartbreaking videos everyday, please do something or you resign.

I'm not a witch to be so blind to people's suffering and nothing is being done about it.

Asiwaju please don't fall my hands, I campaigned vigorously for you, I told Nigerians to believe in you that you'll put smile in their faces.
Though the state police idea is a good one.

Before you tagg me to any nonsense please did you catch me red-handed casting my vote for him? If yes bring your proof forward or you keep shut

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Ogiame must not see this

Kama does not need anybody's evidence or anybody catching you red handed to work. If you voted for him, wait for your own bitter reward, but if you didn't, may it be well with you. Period!
Re: President Tinubu Responds To Apga National Chairman's Call For State Police. by Exousiang01(m): 8:58am On Feb 16
Lol
The talk on state policing has been on for decades in Nigeria, but APGA whose chairman on spoke about it 10 minutes ago feels he was the one who influenced it.
They are easier ways go hunt relevance

(1) (Reply)

If I Were Nnamdi Kanu / Breaking: NDLEA Seizes Largest Heroin Consignment At Lagos Airport / NNPCL Plans To End Fuel Shortage In 10 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.