Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,802 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Why People Are Protesting In Kwara - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why People Are Protesting In Kwara (472 Views)

Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Retired Veterans Protesting In Abuja / Shiite Muslims Protesting In Abuja (Photos) / Boma Goodhead Protesting In 2005 Against Police Harassment (Throwback Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why People Are Protesting In Kwara by Niyilight: 12:55pm On Feb 18
Why People are Protesting in Kwara

Kwara is my second home. I was born there, I schooled there and I married from there. In fact, despite that I left the state more than 2 decades ago, I've refused to let go of my love for the state. So, I take more than a passing interest in its affairs.

Kwara State, a region known for its rich cultural heritage and historical significance, is currently witnessing a wave of protests that has taken both locals and observers by surprise. Reportedly originating from the ancient palace of the Emir of Ilorin, the protests have rapidly spread across the state, engulfing it in a fervor for change and accountability. But what has ignited such widespread discontent among an otherwise docile populace?

The root of the unrest lies in the growing concerns over fiscal management and governance priorities under the current state administration led by Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq. Reports have surfaced that the Kwara State Government (KWSG) has received over N60 billion in federal allocations in the last five months, a figure that is unprecedented in the entire history of Kwara state. And when combined with internally generated revenue (IGR), could potentially double. This revelation has sparked outrage among citizens, who are increasingly questioning the transparency and accountability of how these funds are being utilized.

For too long, the people of Kwara have been kept in the dark about the state’s financial dealings. Despite repeated calls for openness and responsible governance, the administration has remained opaque, blocking all avenues for public scrutiny. It wasn't until the Presidency itself intervened by recently publishing the allocations details to the subnationals that the magnitude of the financial mismanagement began to come to light.

At the heart of the protests is the accusation that the Kwara Governor has consistently favored trivial political pursuits over the substantive governance of the state. Critics argue that he has placed narrow political interests and permutations above the broader welfare of his constituents, demonstrating a preference for short-term political gains over long-term state development and prosperity.

One of the most glaring examples of this alleged mismanagement is the decision to allocate approximately N18 billion towards the renovation of the state-owned Kwara Hotel—an investment seen by many as extravagantly unnecessary, especially when considering the myriad of humanitarian concerns plaguing the state.

Furthermore, the Governor's choice to sponsor his own APC party members and a select group of local traditional and religious leaders on a pilgrimage to Hajj with a staggering N1billion from state coffers has added fuel to the fire, showcasing a blatant disregard for the pressing needs of the general populace.

Adding to the sense of betrayal is the state of major projects initiated by the government, many of which have either been abandoned or are progressing at a snail's pace. This lack of follow-through not only undermines the state's development but also erodes public trust in the administration's commitment to its promises.

Complicating matters further is the perception that the Governor is presenting a facade of stability and progress to his political allies and the presidency in Abuja, while his state grapples with discontent and unrest. This disparity between the projected image and the reality on the ground has deepened the divide between the government and its citizens.

As the chairman of the Nigerian Governors Forum, the Governor's actions do not merely reflect on his administration but also set a precedent for other state leaders. His governance style, marked by a perceived prioritization of frivolities over meaningful statecraft, serves as a disappointing example to his peers and a rallying cry for his constituents demanding change.

The protests in Kwara are a manifest expression of a populace at its breaking point, demanding accountability, transparency, and a redirection of focus towards the pressing needs of the state. It is a call for leadership that prioritizes the welfare of its citizens over political gains and projects that serve the public interest over those that cater to a select few.

The unfolding situation in Kwara is a stark reminder of the power of public sentiment and the imperative for leaders to align their priorities with the needs and aspirations of those they serve.

Pastor Olu Damilola, Ph.D, FCIArb (UK)

Re: Why People Are Protesting In Kwara by successmatters(m): 12:57pm On Feb 18
Hunger, nothing else.
Re: Why People Are Protesting In Kwara by 123yes(m): 1:16pm On Feb 18
Can anything good come out of APC? Party of lies and propaganda. We're is liar Mohammed. Buhari information Minister who said APC is best government since Nigeria Independence.
Re: Why People Are Protesting In Kwara by magoo10(m): 1:45pm On Feb 18
The same kwara APC took took over political structure from saraki and promised change.

Where is oga lai lai Mohammed, what does he have to say about his home state.

(1) (Reply)

Nothing Can Trigger Nigerians To Revolt... / NLC Suspends Protests After Eating Biscuits And Drinking Police Water / Minister of Congratulations and Condolences, No Birthday Wishes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.