Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,811 members, 7,817,354 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

What Is Our Founding Fathers Dream? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Our Founding Fathers Dream? (1896 Views)

Photo: What Our Founding Fathers Said About NIGERIA / Nigeria At 55, How To Acheive The Dreams Of Our Founding Fathers / Tribalist Statements Credited To One Of Our Founding Fathers- Sardauna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is Our Founding Fathers Dream? by purpose100(f): 9:01pm On Nov 10, 2011
People always talk about our founding fathers dream. What is our founding fathers dreams?

In his speech to commemorate Nigeria’s 51st independence anniversary, President Jonathan also mentioned it "As your President, let me reassure all Nigerians that I remain resolutely committed to the ideals and dreams of our founding fathers". Source http://thestreetjournal.org/2011/10/nigeria-51-jonathan-restates-commitment-the-nigerian-dream/

Every time i hear this phrase, it always baffle me. What is that dream?

I am not an American, but i know about their dream "The American Dream is a national ethos of the United States in which freedom includes a promise of the possibility of prosperity and success. In the definition of the American Dream by James Truslow Adams in 1931, "life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement" regardless of social class or circumstances of birth.[1] The idea of the American Dream is rooted in the United States Declaration of Independence which proclaims that "all men are created equal" and that they are "endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights" including "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Dream.

I think one of our problem as a nation is that of poor of communicating our dreams, vision, core values and mission to her citizens.
In fact,who are the founding fathers they are even referring to? What are those dreams they are talking about? Because left to me, i don't think our founding fathers have a working dream for us. Is it the dream of training all of us o become civil servant? Dreams that brings no stable policy in any of our sector?

For instance, consider our educational system. our educational system is seriously flawed. I am in my late 20s. My grand parents where trained in a Nigeria school to be civil servants. My parents also where trained by the same Nigeria school to be civil servants. Now, if not for very few of us that decided to think outside the box, i am also trained by the same Nigeria educational system to be a civil servant! Our syllabus never change, when the whole world is changing and updating their syllabus. In our Universities till today, they are still teaching Computer Students FORTRAN, can u imagine?

Is it that we don't have people bold enough to create a change?
I think we need to dissolve all the policies/dreams/ideas or whatever we have as a nation and set new ones, because it is so obvious that the ones we have is not working.

Because when my kids are old enough to ask questions, if they ask me what is Nigerian dream, i honestly don't know what i will tell them.

Pls, this is not where anybody will be throwing tribal fight or insult or whatever they do. Pls only people workable solutions and ideas should contribute.

Thanks for your response.
Re: What Is Our Founding Fathers Dream? by ektbear: 12:40am On Nov 11, 2011
The founding fathers didn't have one dream/vision, did they? So I'm not sure that this question is well posed.

(1) (Reply)

Senator Ali Udume Admits Knowing Bh Spokesman! / As The Red Sea Divided So Is Enugu Dividing From Onitsha (pictures) / Boko Haram Sallah Gift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.