Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,411 members, 7,812,219 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman (35053 Views)

Photo Of Olabode Olawuyi, OAU Zookeeper Killed By Lion During Feeding / NASU Executives Dissociate Itself From The Nasu Chairman Action At ASUU Congress / JAC Strike:OAU NASU Chairman Docked Over Assault Allegations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by InfoGuru118: 7:37am On Feb 21
Authorities of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State have shut down the zoological garden on the institution’s campus following the killing of a veterinary technologist, Mr Olabode Olawuyi, by a nine-year-old lion on Monday.

Speaking with Platinum Times on Tuesday, the Chairman of the National Association of Non-Academic Staff of Universities, OAU branch, Mr Wole Odewumi, said the management of the university had shut the garden.

He explained that the veterinary technologist was attacked by the lion while he was attempting to free a woman, who was first attacked by the lion.

Odewumi said, “I spoke to some of his colleagues, and they told me what happened. The lion attacked a woman first. The woman is also a staff working at the zoo.

“The deceased intervened to free the woman from the lion. He must have assumed that the lion would recognise him. His intervention to free the woman must have infuriated the animal. The lion left the woman and attacked him squarely.

“After he was freed from the lion’s grip, they rushed him to the health centre on campus here. He however died before he got there. But the second person that was attacked, a woman, is still on admission receiving treatment presently.”

Odewumi also said a mourning procession was held on the campus on Tuesday in honour of Olawuyi while the management of the university met with his family.

He said, “We held a mourning procession in honour of the deceased this morning and members of the management addressed us after that sober event.

“All unions on campus joined the procession. The management promised to take necessary action. There will be a committee that his union will also have a representative in, that will work on the issues raised. I have visited the scene. The zoo has been locked up. It is officially locked up.

“The management will not want anybody to go there for now. Some members of the family of the deceased were around and we handed them over to the management.”

Going by the information on the Curriculum Vitae of the deceased, the 59-year-old Olawuyi born on December 22nd, 1965 would have exited service in 2025.

The management of the institution had in a statement signed by the Public Relations Officer of the University, Abiodun Olanrewaju, on Monday, explained that members of staff who were at the scene of the incident did everything within their power to rescue the deceased, but could not, as the animal held him and mauled him.

According to a video recorded at the scene, the lion was later shot dead by a security operative working with the school, as the mangled remains of the late Olawuyi soaked in blood were laid at the entrance to the garden.

https://platinumtimes.ng/zookeeper-killed-while-attempting-to-rescue-woman-from-lion-nasu-chair-reveals/

4 Likes

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by phorget(m): 7:39am On Feb 21
Cooked up story!
So what exactly was the woman doing in the lions den?

141 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by Cassandraloius: 7:44am On Feb 21
This is hard to believe.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by ValCon888: 7:48am On Feb 21
A lion was killed for being a lion. That is what I know.

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by Amotolongbo(f): 7:57am On Feb 21
This doesn’t add up.
I would rather wait for the School Authority to release the report

Was the lion roaming freely in the zoo garden like ekuke, or how was it attacking people?

I had the opportunity of visiting the zoo about 3times, the lions’ den had high perimeter metal wire (about 20m high) round it.

22 Likes

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by Oblongata: 7:58am On Feb 21
Once the Lion had tasted human blood there was no going back!

As it had attacked the woman and probably tasted her blood, every human became a potential prey!

In a saner clime, during the attack on the woman, the Lion would have been darted (with tranquilizers) and eventually euthanized because it had tasted human blood.

The system failed the victims.

132 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by illicit(m): 8:21am On Feb 21
The man's body was still there when the lion was shot

Which one is that he was rushed to the hospital?

I saw d video

Abi rush get another meaning?

183 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by duduade: 9:03am On Feb 21
Oblongata:

As it had attacked the woman and probably tasted her blood, every human became a potential prey!

In a saner clime, during the attack on the woman, the Lion would have been darted (with tranquilizers) and eventually euthanized because it had tasted human blood.

The system failed the victims.

I read it was euthanized yesterday

Why this
report says it was shot dead

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by FinidiGeorge: 10:08am On Feb 21
duduade:

Why these report says it was shot dead

Lol... You people just saying euthanize up and down... The animal was KILLED, simple.

Euthanize is mercy killing or explained as killing an animal or someone humanely which most times comes with painless death. It is an assist killing.

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by webincomeplus(m): 10:12am On Feb 21
phorget:
Cooked up story!
Do you people have comprehension problems? Did you miss the part where it was stated that the woman is also a staff working in the zoo?

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by Anguldi(m): 10:31am On Feb 21
tongue

1 Like

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by Judolisco(m): 10:33am On Feb 21
And before rushing him, they took one or two pictures arbi.... RIP to d man.... D lion should be killed immediately.... It will attack again.... Dog wey dey kill fowl sef dat year we dey kill am, not now to talk of human being

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by GanagiBitrus: 10:33am On Feb 21
Lion is a wild beast.
Are zoo keepers supposed to enter same cage with the Lion?
There is usually supposed to be a partitioned cage. If you want to feed the lion, you lure it into one partition & drop the food in the other.

This was a preventable tragedy.

Oblongata:

How will every human become potential prey for a lion that is already locked up inside a cage.

19 Likes

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by Inspirer1: 10:33am On Feb 21
FinidiGeorge:

Lol... You people just saying euthanize up and down... The animal was KILLED, simple.

Euthanize is mercy killing or explained as killing an animal or someone humanely which most times comes with painless death. It is an assist killing.
Yeah, I saw a video where the lion was shot, and the man was lying lifeless on the ground.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by W0t0w0toman: 10:34am On Feb 21
The story tire me angry

3 Likes

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by callmevirus(m): 10:34am On Feb 21
Nothing concern me but E dey mind

Okwo unu afugo kwanu this man

2 Likes

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by Anguldi(m): 10:34am On Feb 21
illicit:

In the land of Gazelle gragra cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by Wallade(m): 10:34am On Feb 21
ValCon888:
A lion was killed for being a lion. That is what I know.

Just shut up if you can't say anything reasonable

14 Likes

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by thoollz: 10:34am On Feb 21
Nigerians are funny, so this man was still alive in the video footage?!!! Why was he not rushed to the hospital before even neutralising the animal? They probably would have saved him if they did the right thing, social media is a blessing and a curse. All because you want to post something that won't give you money nor fame. What a shame.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by EreluRoz: 10:34am On Feb 21
Watch as they start blaming the woman now

1 Like

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by Tallesty1(m): 10:34am On Feb 21
Masculinity

1 Like

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by Orlu13: 10:34am On Feb 21
mumu man..he went to rescue a woman

from time to time, u have never seen women die fr men only men dying fr a woman yet these useless gender will still be saying trash abt men forming women power upandan

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by bestman09(m): 10:35am On Feb 21
angry

May his soul rest in peace. No explanation will bring him back to life. He sure knows how dangerous a lion is even though he had been taking care of them and I'm sure he must have tried to be very careful, yet it happened.

4 Likes

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by AuwalYusuf812(m): 10:35am On Feb 21
Even Animals sef undecidedneed to chop

1 Like

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by SirLakes: 10:35am On Feb 21
illicit:

Make dem dey lie dey go

Maybe the body was brought back from the hospital, laid on the floor, set up camera before killing the animal grin

4 Likes

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by EreluRoz: 10:35am On Feb 21
Tallesty1:
Masculinity
I was expecting this. Short man 😂
Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by Bliztzer: 10:35am On Feb 21
duduade:

Why these report says it was shot dead

Everything for Nigeria na lies and cover up

2 Likes

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by Orlu13: 10:35am On Feb 21
EreluRoz:
Watch as they start blaming the woman now

one of the useless gender spotted..I said it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by EmmyMaestro(m): 10:35am On Feb 21
FinidiGeorge:

Euthanized is just a polite way of saying killed. It is just like changing name of prison to correctional center, it is still a prison

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zookeeper Devoured While Trying To Rescue Woman From Lion – NASU Chairman by seunlayi(m): 10:35am On Feb 21
phorget:
Cooked up story!

This was said by the school Nasu, they are the one on ground to give valid information and besides, they just told us another woman is on admission because the lion first attacked her.
So why doubt the story while waiting for the full report of what happened?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Did You Label Your Pen In School Back In Those Days, Do You Still Remember This? / What's Behind This Year's Low JAMB Scores? / Boy Scores 400 In Post-UTME Exam Of Federal University Ndufu-Alike Ikwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.