Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,317 members, 7,811,945 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? (20140 Views)

Cost Of NECO Registration In Private Schools / Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? / Fraud In Private Nursery/Pri Schl:Must A Child Buy A Book His Elder Ones Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Kaka77(m): 10:44am On Feb 22
Teaching is lucrative if and only if you know your worth. Yes some private school owners are deputy satan, but if you know your worth you will be fine. I currently teach in an international school, my salary is a 185k. I also have lessons both online lessons as well as face to face lessons that pays close to 200k. All you need need to do is get a few Cambridge Teaching Certificate, know your subject matter. Subjects like Chemistry, Mathematics which I Teach is hot cake especially here in Abuja. English Language also is hot cake as well as ICT.

7 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by MajorOvakporaye(f): 10:46am On Feb 22
MrSly:

Have you established a business and paid people handsomely? If not then you are not qualified to judge in this regard as you no nothing about he subject matter.

Shut up!!! I'm sure you're a private school owner

3 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by esemes256: 10:48am On Feb 22
Any teacher that is living and working in Lagos and is not earning up to 100k should look for something else ASAP.
The painful thing is that some schools collect huge school fees yet pay their teachers peanuts. Because of poor pay, Many schools are now being run by unqualified teachers or NYSC corpers who do not take the job serious. What kind of students do you expect these schools to produce?

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Akinbahm(m): 10:51am On Feb 22
Vinnie2000:
I talked to a Teacher yesterday and She told me almost all Private schools suffer SEVERE LACK of teachers currently.๐Ÿ˜•

That the HARSH Economic situation of the Country has forced Many Teachers to go Trade, online business, POS businesses,etc. undecided

I said how about NYSC guys?

She said Youth corpers these Days are so Lazy, Non-Chalant! shocked

I just Remember when I taught as a Youth Corper in 2015,
the Enthusiasm we used to March from our Corper's lodge to the PPA was so Unreal! cool smiley

SO, WHAT EXACTLY IS HAPPENING TO NIGERIAN EDUCATION

At the bolded very very lazy... teaching 3 core subjects and being paid 10k.

Since you are very hardworking and passionate u can go any private school of your choice and start teaching 3 core subjects with 10k payment.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Omalicious1: 10:52am On Feb 22
Vinnie2000:
I talked to a Teacher yesterday and She told me almost all Private schools suffer SEVERE LACK of teachers currently.๐Ÿ˜•

That the HARSH Economic situation of the Country has forced Many Teachers to go Trade, online business, POS businesses,etc. undecided

the Enthusiasm we used to March from our Corper's lodge to the PPA was so Unreal! cool smiley

Unfortunately our Education system is gradually drowning...shay when a house of rep member proposed a motion to ensure that all children of legislators school in Nigeria, they killed the motion

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Jflex07(m): 11:05am On Feb 22
MrSly:

Many people who are after parent rarely have nothing spectacular to offer. Many teachers are too lazy and selfish. They will never do anything right unless policed. I won't justify anyone for underpaying and at the same time I won't crucify anyone for paying what he can afford. Teachers have their own portion of blame. Their eye service is out of this world for majority of them, especially those who go around lamenting about poor salary. I know what happens in that circle.
E be like you or your wife get school. You support these private schools.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by emmanbol: 11:07am On Feb 22
Jewessgratitud3:
Why won't they be short of teachers when they pay peanut out of the millions they are making?

You'll see a school charging 50k on the average per child with a population of 100 or more pupils paying teachers 25k. Isn't that wickedness? And you expect such a person to continue working the millions for you while you and your family keep enjoying the money.

I tell you a real life story.

Before I never knew this mushroom private schools make hell of money until my experience with one.

This woman will always cry that the school is small that we should bear with her . When the school starts growing in number she'll do something about the pay..

One year down the line the number increased and she did an increment on her school fees. I approached her afterwards and tried to remind her of her promise to do something about our charges ( cos I'm on part-time arrangements). This woman turned to lion and tolde she can't do anything that in fact I'm earning higher than her full time teachers and she has not done anything for her teachers. I tried to let her know this was not our agreement but she turned deaf ears. Well.. since I have other schools that were paying well, I said let me calm down and see what will happen. That year she sent her son to Ukraine, this Someone who claims no money. The school kept increasing. She sent her two other children to a private university. Hmmm . Meanwhile her full time teachers were collecting 10k. Three years down the line, she still refused to do something about my charges. By then I had gotten better schools and was just using hers to rest. You know.. because I've been long with them, the school was already established in my subject, so I hardly do much or stress myself explaining for too long before they grab. Though I was not happy.

Four years down the line for the son in Ukraine to graduate, his school was bombed down. You guys know that university in Ukraine that got bombed during Russia and Ukrain war, that's the school the son was attending. She was crying and panicking that day and said she didn't know where the son ran to that he just sent the pics of the school and since then she has not heard from him that students are running all over the place while some are being evacuated by security men but that she doesn't even know where the son was. I was just consoling her that day. I saw the video of the school her son sent her burning.

All their computers, results and everything got burnt in that blast. The son was later evacuated to another neighboring Country with other students and had to start afresh because news went round then that since they lost their records and all in the fire, the school can't graduate anyone because no data to work with or determine who's due for graduation.

Now what am I trying to say, this woman used the sweat of her teachers to send the boy abroad to school in one of the most expensive universities in Ukraine while paying her teachers then, 10k as salary and always complaining school is not making money. Her other children are in private universities and till today she's still complains of no money just to avoid increasing salaries. Though according to the only teacher remaining there, I heard she has increased it to 25k now while she added a miserable 5k to mine claiming my charges has always been to high from the beginning. Now she has only two teachers left. She will interview new ones only for them not to resume the day they're supposed to.

Tell me why teachers will not leave.

School management is actually business. Hope you realise parent don't pay in time or some don't even pay at all. Greed is bad, but some of this calculation we make are not as true as make them.

Pay your teachers well, and take ur school running business really seriously. Up and Down cycle. Many parents have even withdrawn their kids from private schools.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by StraightGaay: 11:09am On Feb 22
Jewessgratitud3:
Why won't they be short of teachers when they pay peanut out of the millions they are making?

You'll see a school charging 50k on the average per child with a population of 100 or more pupils paying teachers 25k. Isn't that wickedness? And you expect such a person to continue working the millions for you while you and your family keep enjoying the money.

I tell you a real life story.

Before I never knew this mushroom private schools make hell of money until my experience with one.

This woman will always cry that the school is small that we should bear with her . When the school starts growing in number she'll do something about the pay..

One year down the line the number increased and she did an increment on her school fees. I approached her afterwards and tried to remind her of her promise to do something about our charges ( cos I'm on part-time arrangements). This woman turned to lion and tolde she can't do anything that in fact I'm earning higher than her full time teachers and she has not done anything for her teachers. I tried to let her know this was not our agreement but she turned deaf ears. Well.. since I have other schools that were paying well, I said let me calm down and see what will happen. That year she sent her son to Ukraine, this Someone who claims no money. The school kept increasing. She sent her two other children to a private university. Hmmm . Meanwhile her full time teachers were collecting 10k. Three years down the line, she still refused to do something about my charges. By then I had gotten better schools and was just using hers to rest. You know.. because I've been long with them, the school was already established in my subject, so I hardly do much or stress myself explaining for too long before they grab. Though I was not happy.

Four years down the line for the son in Ukraine to graduate, his school was bombed down. You guys know that university in Ukraine that got bombed during Russia and Ukrain war, that's the school the son was attending. She was crying and panicking that day and said she didn't know where the son ran to that he just sent the pics of the school and since then she has not heard from him that students are running all over the place while some are being evacuated by security men but that she doesn't even know where the son was. I was just consoling her that day. I saw the video of the school her son sent her burning.

All their computers, results and everything got burnt in that blast. The son was later evacuated to another neighboring Country with other students and had to start afresh because news went round then that since they lost their records and all in the fire, the school can't graduate anyone because no data to work with or determine who's due for graduation.

Now what am I trying to say, this woman used the sweat of her teachers to send the boy abroad to school in one of the most expensive universities in Ukraine while paying her teachers then, 10k as salary and always complaining school is not making money. Her other children are in private universities and till today she's still complains of no money just to avoid increasing salaries. Though according to the only teacher remaining there, I heard she has increased it to 25k now while she added a miserable 5k to mine claiming my charges has always been to high from the beginning. Now she has only two teachers left. She will interview new ones only for them not to resume the day they're supposed to.

Tell me why teachers will not leave.

You get patience or, I thought they said when a school is burned down the students automatically graduates.

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Karleb(m): 11:16am On Feb 22
These school owners are funny.

You people are so entitled but you pay your workers below minimum wage and use them like slaves.

3 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Emmanuel30a: 11:19am On Feb 22
Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by scally11: 11:30am On Feb 22
I worked as a teacher for over 14years but truth is proprietors are the wicked set of humans in the world followed by school heads. They collect much and pay teachers peanut. The day I saw the student schoolfees I was downcast for a week. A pupil pays over 80k and they pay teachers less than 50k. Pupils buy other things, pay party money and some do extra lesson but no other money for teachers. Parents complaint nko, some parents will call u at night and be telling u their child refuses to wash plates as if na teachers responsibility. Proprietor will organise seminars even during midterm do that u cannot use that period to look for something good and will pay u middle of months so u don't run away. See my eyes see wetin my mouth no fit talk. School principal and headmaster self go dey runs and no go pay u for extra class. Until I japa runaway from Nigeria. The first wage way I collect for uk was like my annual salary on Friday way no dey miss. I remembered days I go go house tell my wife say dey no pay us salary today hence na bread we go chop. When d salary come self na debt I go use am pay. School owners worse pass politicians self

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by ajebuter(f): 11:32am On Feb 22
Dey play

I'm a top-notch teacher and l earn very comfortable 6 figures with several benefits ( medicals, leave bonus, travel expenses, etc)

Not to talk of several lucrative private online lELTS and TOEFL classes

Teachers are poor

Yen yen yen cheesy grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by BBIA: 11:33am On Feb 22
EreluRoz:
๐Ÿ˜ณ you served in 2015? And I actually thought you were a small boy.
Like a teenager
is he now eligible to have access to your vagina? since you have always iterated that you do men and not boys cool

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by MobilityMFR(m): 11:35am On Feb 22
My summation, most private schools are mental institutions.
The owner is a member of NAPPS, hires teachers, uses them and pays them peanuts. Some would even hire a principal, yet still run the show by dictating to the principal how to run the school. To worsen matters, parents, because they have paid some miserable sum as tuition, also dictate to the school administration how to run the school. It's in a mental institution the aforementioned abound.

The way this country is going, these private school owners will end up using their children as teachers very soon. I've never been an advocate of doing anyhow job due to lack of work.

Very soon we'll all be our own bosses, insha Allah!

Vinnie2000:

3 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Welcomme: 11:53am On Feb 22
No serious and ambitious youth should remain in any private school receiving 30k as salary. These private schools are exploiters and the proprietors are proper manipulators. Doing POS or roasting corn by the road side is better. Very stressful job. You can remain in one position for 20 years.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by 927adekola: 11:57am On Feb 22
OkOk...
Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Jewessgratitud3: 12:07pm On Feb 22
StraightGaay:
You get patience or, I thought they said when a school is burned down the students automatically graduates.

For where? He's now in another school after they announced they can't graduate the final year students because they were preparing for exams that period and the war was so Intense that no body was even talking about graduating self. Na to find where your ward dey and pray make the govt help you bring them back. Some Nigerian students were brought back home before they stopped helping Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by ejimatic: 12:18pm On Feb 22
Vinnie2000:

. Private school teachers are underpaid in Nigeria. It is very discouraging
Soon there will be no teachers on the private schools.Most proprietors use the sweats of their teachers to enrich themselves!

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Jewessgratitud3: 12:18pm On Feb 22
SpearofGod:
This your story sounds so familiar with what somebody also told me in Delta State. Do you live in Delta State?

Nope.

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Jewessgratitud3: 12:25pm On Feb 22
DeeGov123:
That was how I mistakenly saw the account balance on my proprietress phone and I was shocked with the kind of amount I saw, and I began to do some calculations within me that this woman can pay me at least a 100k for a start, why is she paying this peanut she's calls salary, my brother it's well with private schools only God will judge them, the way out is getting a job with the government or learning a skill or just get money from either hook, crook or book to start a business

They are making hella money my brother. That is why I can never work as a full time teacher. I tried it once in 2014, this Woman was charging 95k per child in kg and in my class alone we were up to 30 pupils but e reach Ebola period she couldvnot make protective materials like common gloves available and you know all this rich men children were more vulnerable as their Yankee uncle's and aunties were flying back to Nigeria with God knows what..so attending to them was a big risk. still the Woman refused to get gloves. with 18k as my enemy salary then. Na so I carry my bag Japa. She didn't believe when I Said without glove I was not going to touch any child because they were still learning to write then and so you'll need to hold their hands to guide them.

I left without looking back and vowed never to work full time again.

God punish devil.

3 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Rechargeam247(f): 1:16pm On Feb 22
Lol, some won't pay as at when due, some will split the measly money into 3 or more parts with the excuse of parents not paying.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Entanglement: 1:18pm On Feb 22
Vinnie2000:

use your common sense na! What would 15k as salary do for a private school teacher?

Private school doesn't pay teachers more than 20k
In this economy we are? undecided

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by kabanayol9(m): 1:34pm On Feb 22
Vinnie2000:

I also served 2014/2015 Nov 2014 batch c, i remembered the zeal and the passion my co corpers displayed then, it was top notch, though they are few ones who did education even we that didn't do education did our best, i don't think we can ever forget, lifetime memories.
I think the situation of this private schools is wanting teachers to take 2 or more subjects, you sef reason am now? And it's not like that in public schools, one teacher for one subject.
The one wey spoil am finish, they are not paid well, some are still ready to do it, they are underpaid , owed , or doesn't pay on time.
When we taught then while we were serving, Allawee was steady, state allowance was coming though ours was paid together after 6months and i only took one subject and my co corpers taught one subject too.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by daniboy4545(m): 1:53pm On Feb 22
Vinnie2000:

.... there is one in ikotun governor road .....named EDGELANE primary and secondary school.....the proprietor is so wicked....and even pay peanut....and they charged a student 75k and pay teachers 20k in this economy...

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Krigbe: 1:55pm On Feb 22
I will rather be jobless than teaching in a private secondary or primary schools.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by WriterX(m): 2:02pm On Feb 22
I can remember how many schools i habe taught in my years i think i recently decided it was a no brainer currently at the stats f the economy although if the pay is okay, i would give thr offer a serious rethink.

The issues concerning private schools stems from the following

1. Poor Salary Scaling: The job of a teacher is such that we have to do it in school and at home. We literally sacrifice our days monday to sunday ,working om the clock to ensure we deliver, i think a pay of 30-50k is quite under deserving. Its alot for a profession that keeps you on your feet 7-4-5 and even on saturdays depending on what your employee wants.

2. Ambiguous Job Role: If you have meant a very WONDERFUL employee you will realize the context of your employnent letter is just a fancy way of saying , you have entered.
Our roles are teachers isnt just limited to teaching, we babysit, we are caretakers, we are the non teaching staffs, we are the cleaners, we are the drivers, we are the securities, we are the cooks, we are the gardeners. You think I am exaggerating? Well I have driven for a week in my school at some point in time, i have also done personal assistnt and secretary as well. For the same pay of 30k per month.

3. Favoritism and Nepotism/ Unhealthy Working Environment: Okay, this is actually a thing i have seen reoccuring in many schools, and i have been at many schools.
Most often you will find that one employer who has decided to let you know openly and publicly that you and many others arent worth as much as one other employee because that one person feeds her or him information. Basically a snitch lol. Favoritism and Nepotism are usually tools that most employers especially in the academic sector find as efficient tools to divide and conquer. The side talks, the gossips, the uneven treatment and discrimination? Yeah, education sector has it all.

4. personal growth and development: I have been around for over a decade or more in this profession, my family are a family of teachers. Well guess what, not many schools afford you the opportunity to grow and develop, this is very dangerous for a young person hencr my opinion, if you are young dont spend more than 2years in a school, except it is worth it.

There are so many things unregulated going on witinn the private sector of education. So many nonsense constantly traumatising alot of people for life. I wish there are regulations but nothing is done.

Most employees are forced to work due to economic woes for egolomaniac and narcissistic and manipulative employers all their lives.

3 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by yinkeys(m): 2:12pm On Feb 22
Vinnie2000:

They pay rubbish slave wages compared to the profit they generate from the number of students theyโ€™ve got
Hereโ€™s your answer

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Badadvisor: 2:45pm On Feb 22
PissInside:
I spend at least 15k everyday on Canadian loud and some private school teachers earn 25k monthly.

Life is truly a warfare not a funfair ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
Used to be me until i stopped smoking last year August.
Now i just do csp once in a while or rochi.

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by gaskiyamagana: 2:54pm On Feb 22
CSTRR:

Can you blame them?
Cost of living is high. They have to pay teachers too, and many of the parents don't pay school fees.

The ones that even pay , don't pay complete, and school fees debts pile up.

When you are in the system, you would know that it's not easy for schools.
I am a teacher and l know what I am saying. I have been part of the system in the classroom and at administration level.
A classroom of at least 18 or 15 pupils and the school is collecting minimum of #15 as school fees. #225,000 for 15pupils in a term. What cost the school from giving the teacher #75k per term @25k per instead of #15k of #45k per term?
If you are educationist school owner, NOT a business school owner, you must be offering minimum standard at affordable charges for the parents not to own you more than #50 out of #225k. It remains #175k - #75k of teachers, you still have #100k + profits from text books, exercise books and other charges WHICH many school owners failed to understand is the causes of some parents from paying school fees. They usually pay those small, small charges but they will not pay school fees.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by sprints1: 3:53pm On Feb 22
When i was teaching in lagos I had 25 children under me as class teacher, their life bio data and everything was on me... a single child pays 450k per term if you multiply that by 25 that is about 12m and they don't owe if they owe may be 1 or 2 they only use one child' fee to pay me for the term that is 3 months and change will still remain... most private schools are evil establishment

3 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by sacajawea: 4:38pm On Feb 22
sprints1:
When i was teaching in lagos I had 25 children under me as class teacher, their life bio data and everything was on me... a single child pays 450k per term if you multiply that by 25 that is about 12m and they don't owe if they owe may be 1 or 2 they only use one child' fee to pay me for the term that is 3 months and change will still remain... most private schools are evil establishment
And how much was your salary...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: School Building Collapses In Jos, Several Pupils Feared Dead. / What Course Would You Have Studied Apart From Your Current Course / Vice Chancellorsโ€™ Wives Plan Turkey Trip Amid ASUU Strike

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.