Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge (79473 Views)

Best Gifts For Your Family Under $150 / Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge / Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by blank(f): 10:51am On Nov 16, 2011
At least i am sure of the update. I heard it myself while on my way home. Don't know if he said Okota or Ojota. It does not mean you guys should stop or relent.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by tpia5: 10:53am On Nov 16, 2011
Odunnu

your comment is erroneous.

Like i said, there's only so much that can be done from overseas- the couple needs rehabilitation and long term goals and this can only be achieved if the people on ground assist them with it.

Kindly look at the bigger picture instead of nitpicking, thanks.

There are many churches in that area who i'm sure would not mind getting involved. If i were in lagos i'd personally get involved myself. Its just harder to do things when one is not there in person that's all.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 16, 2011
I wouldn't completely rule out a paypal option. We had the same obstacle on the Menek thread and what people did was to pay into my paypal account here in the UK and I changed the £ into Naira and paid it into his account.

Unfortunately I just got back from Nigeria, so I cant do it for this one, however I want to beleive that there must be someone trustworthy going to Nigeria soon from the UK and the US who can remit funds to this family.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Vicjustice: 10:58am On Nov 16, 2011
[size=13pt]   Well, this is one other pathetic story, poor victims of a failed country.
  Now, what are the methods of donation available?
[/size]
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Okijajuju1(m): 11:00am On Nov 16, 2011
Freiburger:

^^ how do we get a bank acct now?

I can volunteer one of my redundant account and make anyone who is interested a co signatory and even add up to 5 people on this thread to the SMS alert list so that transactions can be monitored!

This is me being nice. And my money would not go into this account as I dont fully support this cause. When a real helpless person in need arises, then I will actively participate.

Cheers!
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by r231(m): 11:06am On Nov 16, 2011
blank:

UPDATE

I heard on Chaz B 92.3 that he (or the station) has rented for them a 2 bedroom apartment in Ojota, paid for 2 years and furnished it a bit. Don't know what else has been done for them in terms of getting the man work.

Good news. . . . . well will have to call ify to find out the update and whats next

Thanks guys for your co operation grin grin
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Egbagirl(f): 11:07am On Nov 16, 2011
chaircover:

I wouldn't completely rule out a paypal option. We had the same obstacle on the Menek thread and what people did was to pay into my paypal account here in the UK and I changed the £ into Naira and paid it into his account.

Unfortunately I just got back from Nigeria, so I cant do it for this one, however I want to beleive that there must be someone trustworthy going to Nigeria soon from the UK and the US who can remit funds to this family.

That's kinda what I had in mind. Not sure how that will work out and if there are any people to facilitate that. I would offer but I can't assume responsibility for that atm. 1. dont have a pay pal (which im guessing is necessary). 2. not in the U.S atm.
But Im hoping someone else who is able can possibly take up that task?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by r231(m): 11:13am On Nov 16, 2011
chaircover:

Madam welcome bck. . . . . unfortunately i wont take Arik if they are giving the ticket out for free grin grin grin they show us pepper the last time we mess with them thats why me and them part ways grin grin grin

well as for the money issue, actually we are trying to do paypal for the abroad and wire the money down to ify in naija

and the pple in naija can contact her direct or the other person that will be working with her in Lagos
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by r231(m): 11:15am On Nov 16, 2011
Okija_juju:

I can volunteer one of my redundant account and make anyone who is interested a co signatory and even add up to 5 people on this thread to the SMS alert list so that transactions can be monitored!

This is me being nice. And my money would not go into this account as I dont fully support this cause. When a real helpless person in need arises, then I will actively participate.

Cheers!

you dont support but you want to give account hmmmmmm so nice of you

well thank you we got it covered alrdy
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Vicjustice: 11:15am On Nov 16, 2011
[size=20pt]   Well, this is one other pathetic story, poor victims of a failed country.
  But there seems to be too much talks and comments with very little or no support here. . . Actually, things are easier when done orderly, therefore, i would like to suggest that someone (or some deligates) visit this family and make a video interview with them so that their situation may be more transparent; and this may attract more sympathisers
  By the way, what are the methods of donation available?
[/size]
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Egbagirl(f): 11:16am On Nov 16, 2011
r231:

well as for the money issue, actually we are trying to do paypal for the abroad and wire the money down to ify in naija

and the pple in naija can contact her direct or the other person that will be working with her in Lagos

awesome!!! Thanks! will be looking out for more info on that.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by tpia5: 11:23am On Nov 16, 2011
The paypal option might work in that case.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Okijajuju1(m): 11:35am On Nov 16, 2011
Vicjustice:

[size=20pt] Well, this is one other pathetic story, poor victims of a failed country.
But there seems to be too much talks and comments with very little or no support here. . . Actually, things are easier when done orderly, therefore, i would like to suggest that someone (or some deligates) visit this family and make a video interview with them so that their situation may be more transparent; and this may attract more sympathisers
[/size]

Thanks!

I want to know what this man has done to get out of that mess first of all.

A full detail and why an able-bodied man cant work as a conductor, laborer or even hawk something!!

Why the bridge and not one of those shoddy apartments in Ajegunle where you pay like 3000 - 5000 Naira per month!

Is he saying as able-bodied as he is, he cant work to raise even 2000 Naira or 1000 naira per day?!

I need answers to my questions please!!

Why is an able-bodied man unable to cater for his family - And dont blame it on Nigeria!! This is not Somalia.

I want someone to awaken my sympathy towards this man! His wife I may help, but this man!! I have no compassion for just yet!
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 11:43am On Nov 16, 2011
//
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Prime007: 11:54am On Nov 16, 2011
I too would like to donate but I feel the way this poster feels. I live in Lagos and the first post on this thread does not tell us why he doesn't want to work.

Okija_juju:

Thanks!

A full detail and why an able-bodied man cant work as a conductor, laborer or even hawk something!!

Why the bridge and not one of those shoddy apartments in Ajegunle where you pay like 3000 - 5000 Naira per month!

Is he saying as able-bodied as he is, he cant work to raise even 2000 Naira or 1000 naira per day?!

Why is an able-bodied man unable to cater for his family - And dont blame it on Nigeria!! This is not Somalia.

I want someone to awaken my sympathy towards this man! His wife I may help, but this man!! I have no compassion for just yet!
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by r231(m): 11:55am On Nov 16, 2011
chaircover:

@r321 dont mind them. Can you imagine no entertainment system on the outgoing and inbound flights, then yesterday they threw us all into a boiling plane claiming that they cant switch on the air conditioning until the engines are switched on. Why weren't the engines switched on? . . because the pilot was stuck in traffic. Passengers nearly rioted yesterday o! Their Drink and food is the worst I have ever had on any airline & I am not a fussy eater. They can keep their 160568Kg allowance sha. I no do again.

Anyway back to business. What is the email addy of the paypal account that people can pay money into?

Like most things of this nature, we have to strike while the iron is hot or people get distracted and move onto other things. A lot of people have indicated that they want to donate but there are still no account numbers etc. Very soon the people will start spending money that they have earmarked for donations on other things so please please please let us get an account up and running ASAP so that people can deposit into it before people get bored and move on.

their pilot must be a very unreliable person then cus that was the same thing that happened to us when we are leaving Lagos. 10 minutes later i turned into a tap water socked and srtd wiping myself with their blanket. The staff very rude nothing to write home about and they refuse to give me water too,

Well regarding the issue, the account details will be available later today and the list will be updated as well.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by ifyalways(f): 12:24pm On Nov 16, 2011
Would read through later.I have provided Freiburger an account number.

@Olowotee,still expecting your email,do so asap please.

@Odunnu,you are tooooo good sister.Noted and taken care of(PM)

@Those requesting for more videos and pictures as proof,I would try to get that,If possible.why?Its high risk enough manouvering the ganja smokers and area boys so I park very far away and go there with a "kpalasa" phone.Hope i'd be able to capture clear videos with it,pictures im sure of.

@Tpia,churches dont help much.If you know any that wud help drop their contacts and i'd drive them there.where they stay now is just a stone away from "The lords chosen church"
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by ifyalways(f): 12:27pm On Nov 16, 2011
Would read through later.I have provided Freiburger an account number.

@Olowotee,still expecting your email,do so asap please.

@Odunnu,you are tooooo good sister.Noted and taken care of(PM)

@Those requesting for more videos and pictures as proof,I would try to get that,If possible.why?Its high risk enough manouvering the ganja smokers and area boys so I park very far away and go there with a "kpalasa" phone.Hope i'd be able to capture clear videos with it,pictures im sure of.

@Tpia,churches dont help much.If you know any that wud help drop their contacts and i'd drive them there.where they stay now is just a stone away from "The lords chosen church"
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by ifyalways(f): 12:32pm On Nov 16, 2011
Good news everyone.I sent my driver to them this morning with a treated net and a lil' foodstuff and he just called now to say "someone just rented an apartment for them @ AYOBO though they have not yet relocted" as he still met them there.

God is indeed merciful!
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by ifyalways(f): 12:34pm On Nov 16, 2011
Good news everyone.I sent my driver to them this morning with a treated net and a lil' foodstuff and he just called now to say "someone just rented an apartment for them @ AYOBO though they have not yet relocted" as he still met them there.

God is indeed merciful!
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 16, 2011
that is a great news.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 16, 2011
Thank you Jesus on-behalf of this family blessed the people that help this family
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by yamakuza: 12:47pm On Nov 16, 2011
ifyalways:

I just left there.Hmmn na wao.

Truly,the couple exist for real.They have a baby boy and the wife is visibly pregnant. Contrary to PM news report,Mr Obuh do go out to hustle and does not sit all day sleeping and eating.

On arriving and locating them(took me almost an hour),I met Dupe and the baby boy.Started asking her questions and while at it,Mr Obuh walked in.He had with him pieces of scrap metals he got for reselling to scavengers.

and Yep,I now without doubt do believe that they might be disturbed by snakes and other rodents.The place is just filthy,area boys shyte,smoke ganja just 5 meters away from their "home".

One thing I noticed and can't help but share is this:the couple are so in love with each other and quite simple.The smile and warm reception they gave me,Dupe even offered me pure water from her bowl nearby.would start posting pics soon.

www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=801338.msg9554015#msg9554015

Prime007:

I too would like to donate but I feel the way this poster feels. I live in Lagos and the first post on this thread does not tell us why he doesn't want to work.

Okija_juju:

Thanks!

Vicjustice:

[size=20pt]   Well, this is one other pathetic story, poor victims of a failed country.
[/size]
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by r231(m): 12:55pm On Nov 16, 2011
Thanks a lot guys for rising to the occasion.

Well it has been confirmed that the family has a property now and will be moving soon.

So do you think we should still do our bit or we should just forget the contributions?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by yamakuza: 1:08pm On Nov 16, 2011
r231:

Well it has been confirmed that the family has a property now and will be moving soon.

So do you think we should still do our bit or we should just forget the contributions?

Does anyone know how to reach ChazB?

Maybe we can find out how far they intend to go and what/how we can chip in?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 1:44pm On Nov 16, 2011
@Ify
I haven't replied you because I have not received the PM from Freiburger. I was going to ask about your schedules and best time to visit the family on Sunday. How soon are they relocating, do you know? Thanks. # Ayobo is very close to my residence, I can always check on them and give feedbacks. Whatever happened to the Okota/Ojota update?

@R321
I was thinking we could still proceed with a planB -to sponsor the child's schooling and take care of the mother. # I wouldn't know if CharlesB's offer include that. There's a Government Health Center for Preg. Women in Ayobo where she can register for ante-natals, accomodation is pretty cheaper etc. Ayobo makes sense to me, really.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by 9ijaMan: 2:30pm On Nov 16, 2011
I posted this on the other thread.

Thanks r231 for bringing this to my notice. Please provide a bank account (preferably GTB) into which I can make some donations.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by ronkebp(f): 3:20pm On Nov 16, 2011
r231:

yea, we still need to help them, especially the kid's school.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Fhemmmy: 3:35pm On Nov 16, 2011
You mean there is no one that works with a Bank that could open an account for the purpose of this where people can just pay the money into it?

Besides, when all these is done and the money is ready, who would go and give the money to the Man/Family?

What will be said to the man?

What is the yardstick in place to be sure that the man will now not go and marry another woman or start carry woman all over the place - they said, you only know a real man when he has money in his hands.

After the tenure of rent expired, what will make this man not to go back under the bridge cos if he is lazy, he will expect more hand out . . . .

[size=14pt]Please note that i am just asking all these .cos i wanna know. This will not change anything from my commitment, I AM IN, just lemme know when and how the money to be paid.[/size]
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by OAM4J: 3:51pm On Nov 16, 2011
Am happy for the new development. The most important thing is that the family is taken care off irrespective of the people who took care of them.

May God bless all of u who have it in mind to help.

Well I will suggest we keep a structure such that when a genuine case arise again we would be able to rise to the occasion on time.

I think we should now shift focus on the Nairaland Charity thread and see how we can develop  good structure that will be able to respond promptly to genuine need
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Odunnu: 4:02pm On Nov 16, 2011
r231:

I am a actively involved as partner to a number of NGOs who cater for the needy and I do know, just like I said earlier, they all cannot be helped at the same time. Point is, how about helping another family under that bridge since we've already set our hearts to it? I am confident Dupe isnt the only one there who genuinely needs help.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by coogar: 4:27pm On Nov 16, 2011
Okija_juju:

Thanks!

you are a troglodyte!
so anyone who is jobless is because he doesn't want a job?
why are 40 million nigerians jobless today? can nigeria provide jobs for all it's citizens?

if you cannot help the man, keep your money in your back pocket.
there are people out there ready to help without passing ridiculous judgements
if you pay attention to details, you would have learnt the man actually has a job but the income is not steady to raise a family.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (45) (Reply)

I Finally Took My Children For DNA Test / Anthony Chijioke: Dr. Ozuzu George Davidson Slept With My Wife (Photos) / My Mother Is Seeing Other Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.