Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji (39559 Views)

Why I Located $800m Geometric Power Plant In Aba - Barth Nnaji / Electricity Crisis: 3 Reasons Nigeria Is In Darkness — Barth Nnaji / Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by agabusta: 11:21am On Mar 01
SoNature:

Goodluck Jonathan was a relatively good but weak man. You must be a strong man to turn a deaf ear to critics and achieve what you want. The same thing Buhari did and Tinubu is doing now. For the fact you are convinced that you are doing the right thing, you must not pay attention to critics.

By the way, Goodluck Jonathan didn't protect Stella Oduah; dude totally cut her off when she wanted audience with the president during the car purchase saga.

Professor Barth Nnaji has a legacy in Nigeria and will be remembered for this after his death. Alex Otti should name a road, project or street after this great Igbo son.

If you call him a weak man and you are from a certain tribe, they'll say you are a tribalist. That it is the tribal thing in you that is making you call him that. Its just pathetic that it started from that Jona era and to all the presidents till date.

Before Jona, Obj and Yaradu were well criticised and thy never hid under the toga of tribalism. Obj suffered chronic criticism from his SW people during his stint. He was protested against many times, and never attributed it to tribalism. All the nonsense of protecting one's tribal man in govt started with Jona.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Tochj(m): 11:28am On Mar 01
Pergie001:

Professor Barth Nnaji has become a high profile casualty in the crisis in Nigeria’s power sector as President Goodluck Jonathan on Monday “accepted” his resignation as the Minister of Power with immediate effect. The development opened a new chapter in the standoff between unions of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) and the federal government over modalities for fully privatizing the electricity sector.

A statement by Presidential spokesman, Reuben Abati said President Jonathan thanked Prof. Nnaji “for his services to the nation under the present administration and wishes him well in his future endeavours.”

Nnaji’s resignation comes barely two weeks after the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) demanded his resignation citing “vituperation on the workers in the sector. NUEE also accused the then minister of engaging in fraudulent activities in the Power Sector and misinforming Nigerians to the extent of putting them under tension unnecessarily. shocked shocked shocked

The union had also demanded explanation from Nnaji in connection with his role or activities in relation to issues like:

N395m collected from PHCN allegedly for the Media, for 3 months; << 40-man laptop squad no doubt got some rich pickings from this largess grin >>
N280m collected from PHCN allegedly for Nigeria Army;
N200m collected from PHCN allegedly for Unknown Project in the Power Ministry;
N86m collected from PHCN allegedly for a bullet -proof vehicle;
N3m collected from PHCN and donated to Enugu State University of Technology (ESUT); and
Employment of 20 people in Enugu Zone of PHCN who are his kith and kins as staff two years after the closing date of casual employment and close of PHCN biometrics exercise.

“He should also explain to Nigerians why we have been collecting Pension and Gratuity from 1972 till June 2012 based on 25 percent, and why his reform tends to short change the workers,” the statement said, adding that the development confirms the fears of workers in the power sector that Nnaji’s reform is aimed at strangulating workers.” A statement by the union leadership had said.

The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria accepted today the resignation of Barth Nnaji, the hitherto Minister of Power.

The resignation is reportedly connected to the revelations first premiered by Business Day which linked the former cabinet member to an underground bid for Afam Power Station.

Nnaji revealed to the National Council on Privatiation last Friday that his company, Geometrics, was a shareholder in a company that bid for the Afam Power Station.

Afam Power Station has an installed capacity of 775 Megawatts which is 18% of the country’s current total power generation.

The revelation came as a surprise, although many Nigerians were already aware that the privatiation of PHCN was simply an unbundling of the country’s power assets to the cabal.

However the undoing of Mr. Nnaji may have come about as a result of the dispute between himself as minister and PHCN employees.

The PHCN employees were embittered by Nnaji’s refusal to pay them adequate terminal benefits running into hundreds of billions of Naira. The conflict-of-interest being he would not want an asset he was planning to acquire to be hugely indebted to the soon-to-be disengaged PHCN staff.

More details as they emerge
who reads lengthy roobish from an enemy of progress
APC Stopped wonderful development by GEJ government
not only on power but in everything

3 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by We4all: 12:36pm On Mar 01
Fine old man.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Beverlyjean(f): 12:37pm On Mar 01
The Igbos are the gateway ti Nigeria's success... as long as we keep on electing other tribes...the country will keep on going down... reason other tribes fight the emergence of Biafra is because , Biafra will be a success and others will be exposed , especially the yorubas .... that's when they will understand that there's more to success than gragra or " POLITRICKS"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by JAMO84: 12:38pm On Mar 01
This man is a genius, he's one of the most important people in Nigeria today.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Riskymarvelous(m): 12:38pm On Mar 01
That is why tinubu used his ignorance choose someone that went to school to study accountant to became minister of power lolllll.....what a con3

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Umuinyioku: 12:41pm On Mar 01
Pergie001:

Professor Barth Nnaji has become a high profile casualty in the crisis in Nigeria’s power sector as President Goodluck Jonathan on Monday “accepted” his resignation as the Minister of Power with immediate effect. The development opened a new chapter in the standoff between unions of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) and the federal government over modalities for fully privatizing the electricity sector.

A statement by Presidential spokesman, Reuben Abati said President Jonathan thanked Prof. Nnaji “for his services to the nation under the present administration and wishes him well in his future endeavours.”

Nnaji’s resignation comes barely two weeks after the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) demanded his resignation citing “vituperation on the workers in the sector. NUEE also accused the then minister of engaging in fraudulent activities in the Power Sector and misinforming Nigerians to the extent of putting them under tension unnecessarily. shocked shocked shocked

The union had also demanded explanation from Nnaji in connection with his role or activities in relation to issues like:

N395m collected from PHCN allegedly for the Media, for 3 months; << 40-man laptop squad no doubt got some rich pickings from this largess grin >>
N3m collected from PHCN and donated to Enugu State University of Technology (ESUT); and
Employment of 20 people in Enugu Zone of PHCN who are his kith and kins as staff two years after the closing date of casual employment and close of PHCN biometrics exercise.

“He should also explain to Nigerians why we have been collecting Pension and Gratuity from 1972 till June 2012 based on 25 percent, and why his reform tends to short change the workers,” the statement said, adding that the development confirms the fears of workers in the power sector that Nnaji’s reform is aimed at strangulating workers.” A statement by the union leadership had said.

The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria accepted today the resignation of Barth Nnaji, the hitherto Minister of Power.

The resignation is reportedly connected to the revelations first premiered by Business Day which linked the former cabinet member to an underground bid for Afam Power Station.

Nnaji revealed to the National Council on Privatiation last Friday that his company, Geometrics, was a shareholder in a company that bid for the Afam Power Station.

Afam Power Station has an installed capacity of 775 Megawatts which is 18% of the country’s current total power generation.

The revelation came as a surprise, although many Nigerians were already aware that the privatiation of PHCN was simply an unbundling of the country’s power assets to the cabal.

However the undoing of Mr. Nnaji may have come about as a result of the dispute between himself as minister and PHCN employees.

The PHCN employees were embittered by Nnaji’s refusal to pay them adequate terminal benefits running into hundreds of billions of Naira. The conflict-of-interest being he would not want an asset he was planning to acquire to be hugely indebted to the soon-to-be disengaged PHCN staff.

Thank you for letting us know. The information is key.

Salute!

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by crossbreedwears(m): 12:43pm On Mar 01
Having constant power back then was a bad business to generator sellers. Some people have billions of naira worth of generators and you expect them to pray for constant power?
Creamypie:
Power improved very very well under Barth nnaji. I was amongst those who wondered y some people were campaigning he be removed. That was 2012. After he left light stopped functioning

3 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Shikena(m): 12:46pm On Mar 01
Nigerians with their quick judgment never know their real enemies. Electricity workers, generator importers and greedy investors ganged up against this man and nailed something on him knowing fully well that you will always find good material for quick irrational judgment on anybody. They found a conflict of interest.

When Kemi Adeosun became a clog on their wheels of impunity, the same people that she updates every week on plans, progress and challenges, bringing hope & sense of belonging, were the ones who jumped on the train of quick judgment. She left and impunity reigned. No one interested in saying no to the jackals anymore, Kemi Adeosun never understood their language and won't play ball.

Glad Prof Nnaji remained focused on his dream and made it happen. A true leader.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Umuinyioku: 12:46pm On Mar 01
Putindbutt:
Barth Nnaji was caught up in corruption and was fired. As a minister, he wanted to use his private company to corner a power plant, other cabals fought for their own interests too. He destroyed the foundation of the privatization process.
Read the post again. He was not caught up I. Corruption.

Ignoramus man!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by ifeco4(m): 12:51pm On Mar 01
9jatriot:
I have said it before and I will say it again. GEJ should never have allowed his top performing minister to resign. If he could protect Desianni and Stella Uduah, then Barth should have been protected at all cost even if it meant lookking the other to what his distractors were accusing him of.

Jonathan had good intentions for the nation but he was too soft.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by jamafa: 12:55pm On Mar 01
keymatt:
The good old days when GEJ (PDP) was in power. Food boku for country like sand. embarassed
Alas, today hunger is showing Nigerians shege no thanks to APC disastrous regime.

Nigerians can now see for themselves the difference between development driven by competent people and calamity driven by INCOMPETENT people.

Proverbs 29 When the Righteous are in govt, people rejoice but when the WICKED are in power, the people suffer calamity and hunger.

Who told you food boku??

If things are in order, people wont vote him out.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by HeroicMeastro: 12:56pm On Mar 01
immortalcrown:
Odogwu no be nickname, na achievement and attitude. None like him in APC.
He is a good man, but there are thousands that are better than him in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Shikena(m): 12:58pm On Mar 01
They only saw the beginning of the downward slide with him forgeting that he totally lost control to full scale corruption across board covered up initially by unprecedented inflow of oil revenue at a period of the biggest oil boom in history.

ifeco4:

Jonathan had good intentions for the nation but he was too soft.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by kikake: 1:01pm On Mar 01
Aebokis steal federal government money in billions of Naira, while allegation of gift of a Prado jeep got some fools against Nnaji.
Nigeria no dee manageable. Dissolve the most dysfunctional country on earth to make human beings in Nigeria live better in their natural nations.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by AfonjaConehead: 1:03pm On Mar 01
And the likes of stola yaff already passed judgement..... grin

DevilsEqual:
The BBC link sef, na still BBC igbo

I only read balance and unbias new source....This one was invited by BBC igbo to come dey cap

I wait a fair source like BBC Africa or a lil better one
who cares about whatever you listen to 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Moniya4Real(m): 1:04pm On Mar 01
A whopping $500m?. Where did he get that kind of money from?
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by erniok(m): 1:04pm On Mar 01
fergie001:

It depends on where the pressure was coming from.

I understood there was enormous pressure to downtools by the NUEE due to alleged contracts inflation and heavy corruption. Interestingly, the NUEE was headed then by Joe Ajaero.

What broke the camel's back was the privatisation of the DISCOs & GENCOs, an interested former Head of State had told GEJ personally that Nnaji must be fired because it will seem the former Minister had interests in what one of the Ogas wanted.

Jona called Nnaji into his office, read out the long list of allegations and asked for his resignation before the close of work.
Fergie, those accusations were valid because evidences boku then. If naija had been a serious country, Bartha would have stepped aside while an official probe commences but he was given a soft landing with the resignation.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Eriokanmi: 1:18pm On Mar 01
immortalcrown:
You can say that again. OBJ achieved so much because he had solid team behind him. Imagine him going to the then AD to pick a member as his attorney-general. He remains the only detribalised leader in Nigeria today.

I was among those who first attacked the apc blind supporters who can accept anything , including shiit if given to them and called rice, that the billions of dollars their illiterate leaders accused the obj of, was spent on constriction of power plants. Thos is one of the proofs. They need to ask Tony elumelu how much he spent on the geregu power plant he built, a single individual. They'd understand better. Obj made it clear that he built power plants with the money and evidence to show dey ground. This is one of them, which the apc is now cornering to themselves grin

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by oyeb15: 1:19pm On Mar 01
Jonathan appointed sane and intelligent minds as ministers.

Even Buhari still has few resourcesful ministers unlike now that all our ministers are people of no good record and integrity.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by preciousmetals: 1:29pm On Mar 01
The person who leads the cancellation of almost $28 billion Nigeria debt is the worst right?, you must be sick in your brain, you need a medication
Putindbutt:

Aside Dora Akunyili, others were average, Okonjo was the worst.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by fergie001: 1:38pm On Mar 01
erniok:

Fergie, those accusations were valid because evidences boku then. If naija had been a serious country, Bartha would have stepped aside while an official probe commences but he was given a soft landing with the resignation.
I know, just giving him a soft landing.

I was with PHCN @ the time.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by abobote: 1:39pm On Mar 01
Pergie001:

That is not true, we know know what happened that period.
That was a conflict of interest. The then vice president, Namadi Sambo, has a vested interest in the privatisation, so they insist he change the policy, when he refused, he was forced to resign
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Sunmolar(m): 1:41pm On Mar 01
His intentions to shortchange Nigeria in the privatization bids by his coined template of putting his own company failed....so he eased out

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by abobote: 1:42pm On Mar 01
erniok:

There was no case against him, the ogas wanted him to change the policy cos of their interest, he resigned instead.

There was no soft landing

4 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by lekonso: 1:44pm On Mar 01
9jatriot:
I have said it before and I will say it again. GEJ should never have allowed his top performing minister to resign. If he could protect Desianni and Stella Uduah, then Barth should have been protected at all cost even if it meant lookking the other to what his distractors were accusing him of.
Jonathan was a big failure and disappointment to this nation. The only good thing we would have remembered him for, he forked it up.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Putindbutt: 1:44pm On Mar 01
preciousmetals:
The person who leads the cancellation of almost $28 billion Nigeria debt is the worst right?, you must be sick in your brain, you need a medication
Who told you she led it?, an international company did it not Okonjo. After the deal, OBJ demoted Okonjo iweala as minister of finance, go and verify.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Nauttyprof(m): 1:47pm On Mar 01
keymatt:
The good old days when GEJ (PDP) was in power. Food boku for country like sand. embarassed
Alas, today hunger is showing Nigerians shege no thanks to APC disastrous regime.

Nigerians can now see for themselves the difference between development driven by competent people and calamity driven by INCOMPETENT people.

Proverbs 29 When the Righteous are in govt, people rejoice but when the WICKED are in power, the people suffer calamity and hunger.

We keep thanking GEJ as if he was not part of the problem. Till we realize that our leaders ruined our country

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Putindbutt: 1:48pm On Mar 01
Umuinyioku:
Read the post again. He was not caught up I. Corruption.

Ignoramus man!
He wanted to buy Afam plant with his company. he's corrupt.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by lekonso: 1:49pm On Mar 01
oyeb15:
Jonathan appointed sane and intelligent minds as ministers.

Even Buhari still has few resourcesful ministers unlike now that all our ministers are people of no good record and integrity.
Tell me just one good thing Jonathan did that he can be remembered for, for over five years as president

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Krankhead: 1:49pm On Mar 01
immortalcrown:
Always saying thrash
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by isaachi4u: 1:50pm On Mar 01
Enemies of SE Poeple can never see good on them. But time will tale, e de pain you say goes to the State ( LP STATE) APC go and hug transformer.
Pergie001:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DSS Finds Rolls Royce In Judge’s 15 Cars Fleet-the Nation / PDP Wins Peter Obi's Polling Unit With Wide Margin / Nigerians React To Peter Obi's CKC Claim In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.