Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji (39509 Views)

Why I Located $800m Geometric Power Plant In Aba - Barth Nnaji / Electricity Crisis: 3 Reasons Nigeria Is In Darkness — Barth Nnaji / Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Laple0541(m): 1:58pm On Mar 01
Nyamiriflathed:
One of two president below pushed him out of his government.

Was it President Bitter Obi (Nigeria online president)?
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by goslowgoslow(m): 2:00pm On Mar 01
Beverlyjean:
The Igbos are the gateway ti Nigeria's success... as long as we keep on electing other tribes...the country will keep on going down... reason other tribes fight the emergence of Biafra is because , Biafra will be a success and others will be exposed , especially the yorubas .... that's when they will understand that there's more to success than gragra or " POLITRICKS"
And you people cannot expose Orji Uzo, Theodore Orji and Ikpeazu for good 25 years of destroying Abia State. Noisy tribe!

2 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by slowice(m): 2:01pm On Mar 01
If you are heading any critical sector in Nigeria and big Nigerian men love... Just know that you are very corrupt.

The moment you insist on doing the right thing in, they will swam you with allegation, calling you names and all

3 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by 123456789O: 2:03pm On Mar 01
You've done well
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by DesChyko: 2:10pm On Mar 01
teadrake:

I guess you didn't read the story before commenting. Prof. Nnaji resigned during the Administration PDP administration and here you are disgracefully blaming APC.

Does that now mean there is someone like him in APC? Did you even read what you quoted?
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by obaidan: 2:16pm On Mar 01
Putindbutt:

Aside Dora Akunyili, others were average, Okonjo was the worst.

I am Yoruba, don't ever say that about Okonjo. This is not about world bank or any appointment, how old are you not to know how that woman got this country a big debt relief or u think it was obasanjo himself that negotiated. Barth is not average if you know what value means, Soludo is top-notch too(i have a problem with his bitterness for every shining star in igboland though) but as a person of value, he is top-tier.
Let's admit the truth when we see it dora, okonjo, barth, soludo are top men and women in terms of value creation and they are great assets to the Nigerian society

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Chasito(m): 2:16pm On Mar 01
You see this man, and Ngozi okonjo iwela, with Late Dora Akunyili, They are One of the most important people we have in this country today.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Tareq1105: 2:18pm On Mar 01
immortalcrown:
Odogwu no be nickname, na achievement and attitude. None like him in APC.

Barth Nnaji didn't tell us how Ajaero Electricity Workers Union accused him of trying to use his position as Minister to buy Enugu Distribution Company through a proxy.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Kusu12: 2:21pm On Mar 01
SpecialAdviser:
Dora Akuyili
Barth Nnaji
Ngozi Okonji Iweala
Chukwuma Soludo

And many more
Igbos have always proven to be passionate about a better country but people from certain tribes has always draged Nigeria back. Out of jealous, they still don't want Igbos to go their way and build a world class country.

That's Witchcraft

I wondered with all the personalities you mentioned why you have not turned South East to Dubia? Igbos and victim mentality are like siamese twins.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Typing: 2:24pm On Mar 01
Make this one no come dey make mouth here
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Advancedman(m): 2:25pm On Mar 01
immortalcrown:

Confirm Odogwu
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Beverlyjean(f): 2:26pm On Mar 01
goslowgoslow:

And you people cannot expose Orji Uzo, Theodore Orji and Ikpeazu for good 25 years of destroying Abia State. Noisy tribe!

We definitely have the bad ones that we have rejected....unfortunately, those are the ones other tribes support... the average igbo man don't act or reason like others ... we are independent and want the best for us as a people... if there's a presidential contest between uzodimma and Otti...the igbos in general will overwhelmingly vote for Otti , but other tribes will vote for uzodimma.... the yorubas supported Tinubu ahead of Osibanjo , the North supported Buhari ahead of Yaradua...that's the difference between the Igbos and other tribes
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by erniok(m): 2:27pm On Mar 01
abobote:

There was no case against him, the ogas wanted him to change the policy cos of their interest, he resigned instead.

There was no soft landing
There was no soft landing you say and he was busy withdrawing funds with proofs and had interest in Afam? I hope you were not one of the people that criticized the interior minister when betta paid money into his account.

Even fergie has acknowledged this stating he was with phcn then. Some of you argue from position of emotion.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by obaidan: 2:27pm On Mar 01
ifeco4:

Jonathan had good intentions for the nation but he was too soft.
Jonathan no be leader truth be told, a good man yes BUT a leader? Definitely not. No will. He had the best chance to correct the ills of Nigeria, he had not much people to pay back for making him president, he wasn't so ambitious like others, he should have just gone ahead following his conviction on what he thinks is right. He also lacked the will to deal with criminals around him, I will say stellah oduah and Diezani alone cost him 1 million votes
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Morbeta11(m): 2:29pm On Mar 01
fergie001:

It depends on where the pressure was coming from.

I understood there was enormous pressure to downtools by the NUEE due to alleged contracts inflation and heavy corruption. Interestingly, the NUEE was headed then by Joe Ajaero.

What broke the camel's back was the privatisation of the DISCOs & GENCOs, an interested former Head of State had told GEJ personally that Nnaji must be fired because it will seem the former Minister had interests in what one of the Ogas wanted.

Jona called Nnaji into his office, read out the long list of allegations and asked for his resignation before the close of work.

Where you there? Between him and those false accusers, who is the hero and villain....its important to win by action and not argument.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Tareq1105: 2:29pm On Mar 01
Tochj:

who reads lengthy roobish from an enemy of progress
APC Stopped wonderful development by GEJ government
not only on power but in everything

Are you saying that Electricity Workers did not force him to resign from Jonathan government?

Let Ajaero speak on this.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Advancedman(m): 2:30pm On Mar 01
gidgiddy:
Barth Nnaji, the proponent of Geometric Power, Aba, has revealed why he resigned as Minister of power during the Jonathan administration. Speaking to BBC Igbo, Nnaji said he resigned over what happened during the privatisation process. According to him, he had insisted that all DISCOS must have two things, technical expertise and financial independence to operate, so as to weed out those who wanted to use Privatisation to make quick money. However, enormous pressure was put on him to change this policy and he could see that harm might be done to him if he didn't, so he resigned. He regretted that after he left, many of the DISCOS eventually failed due to lack of technical expertise, and the banks they borrowed money from took over the assets

When asked if he was once offered a bribe of a Prado Jeep, Bart Nnaji laughed and said that he had already invested 500 million Dollars in Geometrics before he became Minister and that if he wanted to buy 100 Prado Jeeps today, he could do it.

He also said that Geometric Power was initially supposed to start in 2013 but court battles delayed the Project by 10 years. He also revealed that unlike other Power companies, the power generated by Geometric power would not go to the national grid, but go to Aba and 9 other local governments in Abia state as a start.

https://www.bbc.com/igbo/articles/c9epzrl91j0o?fbclid=IwAR21ximeQHd1ZT7Ch23sW1wennrFDqCmW8UKYhOwiy6hkFOrZxwZCR3i4RA

He would have revolutionized our electricity but they would not allow him.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by erniok(m): 2:30pm On Mar 01
obaidan:

Jonathan no be leader truth be told, a good man yes BUT a leader? Definitely not. No will. He had the best chance to correct the ills of Nigeria, he had not much people to pay back for making him president, he wasn't so ambitious like others, he should have just gone ahead following his conviction on what he thinks is right. He also lacked the will to deal with criminals around him, I will say stellah oduah and Diezani alone cost him 1 million votes
Spot on especially owing allegiance to no one.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by CarlosTheJackal: 2:30pm On Mar 01
Nyamiriflathed:
Seun mynd44 nlpfmod fergie01 monikers like this shouldn't be allowed on this forum if you are serious about tackling bigotry.

The place has become wild again because the bad guys are winning. Sanitize this place Seun, your forum stinks
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by goslowgoslow(m): 2:41pm On Mar 01
Beverlyjean:

We definitely have the bad ones that we have rejected....unfortunately, those are the ones other tribes support... the average igbo man don't act or reason like others ... we are independent and want the best for us as a people... if there's a presidential contest between uzodimma and Otti...the igbos in general will overwhelmingly vote for Otti , but other tribes will vote for uzodimma.... the yorubas supported Tinubu ahead of Osibanjo , the North supported Buhari ahead of Yaradua...that's the difference between the Igbos and other tribes
Indeed!...Who is taking about elections? Why didn't your tribe call them out when they were destroying Abia for 25 years not 25 days. That is my question.
Even in terms of election you people still voted the three of them for second term despite their lack of performance.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Beverlyjean(f): 2:44pm On Mar 01
goslowgoslow:

Indeed!...Who is taking about elections? Why didn't your tribe call them out when they were destroying Abia for 25 years not 25 days. That is my question.
Even in terms of election you people still voted the three of them for second term despite their lack of performance.

We always called them out...just as we are always calling out uzodimma and same we we called out okorocha and Nnamani during His time , but they always rigged their way in thru the support of the corrupt federal officials... it almost happened again , if not for that God sent woman that stopped it from happening this time
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by gloryman91: 2:45pm On Mar 01
PBAT please get this man and make him, Minister for Power now.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Diligence: 2:48pm On Mar 01
U see Nigeria! 10 years of legal battles denied the people of Abia 24 hrs of power since 2013!
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by wowo2: 2:57pm On Mar 01
History being re-written,

Was this not the brilliant USA based Electronics and Electrical Engineering professor that was made minister of Power and everyone thought all problems will be solved but then only got into office to start giving contracts to his own company and siphon money. Even the thieves that employed were like...haba! and sacked him.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by damkin24(m): 3:29pm On Mar 01
immortalcrown:
Is he a Labour Party member?
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by lagonovo: 3:34pm On Mar 01
Anywhere you see that Ajaero face, my brother please face the opposite direction for your own sake. Never follow Ajaero, we know am well well. He gave this professor real hell.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by prophetfire: 3:49pm On Mar 01
Pergie001:

Professor Barth Nnaji has become a high profile casualty in the crisis in Nigeria’s power sector as President Goodluck Jonathan on Monday “accepted” his resignation as the Minister of Power with immediate effect. The development opened a new chapter in the standoff between unions of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) and the federal government over modalities for fully privatizing the electricity sector.

A statement by Presidential spokesman, Reuben Abati said President Jonathan thanked Prof. Nnaji “for his services to the nation under the present administration and wishes him well in his future endeavours.”

Nnaji’s resignation comes barely two weeks after the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) demanded his resignation citing “vituperation on the workers in the sector. NUEE also accused the then minister of engaging in fraudulent activities in the Power Sector and misinforming Nigerians to the extent of putting them under tension unnecessarily. shocked shocked shocked

The union had also demanded explanation from Nnaji in connection with his role or activities in relation to issues like:

N395m collected from PHCN allegedly for the Media, for 3 months; << 40-man laptop squad no doubt got some rich pickings from this largess grin >>
N280m collected from PHCN allegedly for Nigeria Army;
N200m collected from PHCN allegedly for Unknown Project in the Power Ministry;
N86m collected from PHCN allegedly for a bullet -proof vehicle;
N3m collected from PHCN and donated to Enugu State University of Technology (ESUT); and
Employment of 20 people in Enugu Zone of PHCN who are his kith and kins as staff two years after the closing date of casual employment and close of PHCN biometrics exercise.

“He should also explain to Nigerians why we have been collecting Pension and Gratuity from 1972 till June 2012 based on 25 percent, and why his reform tends to short change the workers,” the statement said, adding that the development confirms the fears of workers in the power sector that Nnaji’s reform is aimed at strangulating workers.” A statement by the union leadership had said.

The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria accepted today the resignation of Barth Nnaji, the hitherto Minister of Power.

The resignation is reportedly connected to the revelations first premiered by Business Day which linked the former cabinet member to an underground bid for Afam Power Station.

Nnaji revealed to the National Council on Privatiation last Friday that his company, Geometrics, was a shareholder in a company that bid for the Afam Power Station.

Afam Power Station has an installed capacity of 775 Megawatts which is 18% of the country’s current total power generation.

The revelation came as a surprise, although many Nigerians were already aware that the privatiation of PHCN was simply an unbundling of the country’s power assets to the cabal.

However the undoing of Mr. Nnaji may have come about as a result of the dispute between himself as minister and PHCN employees.

The PHCN employees were embittered by Nnaji’s refusal to pay them adequate terminal benefits running into hundreds of billions of Naira. The conflict-of-interest being he would not want an asset he was planning to acquire to be hugely indebted to the soon-to-be disengaged PHCN staff.

More details as they emerge
Thrash this your useless and sponsored write-up.
I was aware of events. Coward Jonathan had to sacrifice Barth Nnaji because some powerful interests especially from the north pressured him.
It was the usual cabal that has held Nigeria power projects down.
Now Barth Nnaji left them and his power company is thriving.
Your useless FG that used him to appease the power cabal, how far? Have power improved in your country?
Nigeria will never move forward as long as they continue to play politics with everything.

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Jayhome24: 4:17pm On Mar 01
Sir why all these plenty talks now after how many years? Sir as our party member then didn't we asked you your reason for resignation did you say all these?

Now because of Biometrics we won't gear word again? And for the obidient infact you people are thoe most mentally unstable human under the sun same Jonathan you are all praising few days ago now because Nnaji say all these gibberish suddenly you all turned to Nnaji followers and same Jonathan no longer good again.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by Kcdojoto(m): 4:21pm On Mar 01
Nyamiriflathed:
The pictures below reflects the people that have brain
(The one below) and the people that got not brain (the one above) as the words written on the marble clearly shows transparency as against the we couldn't read what is written there
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by koning: 4:25pm On Mar 01
agabusta:

This is splendid!
Asides supplying Aba with the much needed power, it will also relieve the national grid of what would have been apportioned for Aba.

Kudos to this great mind. I remembered during his stint as power minister, power was already getting stabilized. But the wicked powers that be frustrated him out and Jona could do nothing.

This is the most important aspect of the Geometric power plant most people are overlooking. More power will be available to distribute to other SE states if EEDC and TCN do their home work properly.

Kudos to the Prof.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by immortalcrown(m): 4:36pm On Mar 01
HeroicMeastro:

He is a good man, but there are thousands that are better than him in Nigeria.
I never said otherwise.
Re: Why I Resigned As Minister Of Power - Barth Nnaji by izubext007: 4:49pm On Mar 01
Imole of Abia state

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peter Obi: My Children Use Buses And Tricycles To Get Around (Throwback) / Drone Shots Of Senator Ademola Adeleke Campaign In Ayedire And Olaoluwa Lg(pics) / Insecurity: IGP Orders Immediate Deployment Of SWAT Operatives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.