Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,142 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? (1916 Views)

Poll: Should d attorney general of the federation be sacked

yes: 71% (10 votes)
no: 14% (2 votes)
undecided: 14% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

APC Will Only Substitute Audu For Kogi Supplementary Election - Attorney General / Mohammed Dikwa Appointed Accountant-General Of The Federation By Buhari / Buhari Appoints Ogbonnaya Onu As The Secretary Of The Federation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by Joey82(m): 1:23pm On Sep 19, 2007
Going by d way d present Attorney General of d federation Mr. Micheal Aondakaa has handled issues especially relating to EFFC and d anti corruption war, naira redenomination and d rest and Chief Gani Fawehinmi's call for his sack, do u find d AGF a capable person or a stooge lacking that sense of direction?

Do u think he (AGF) should actually resign?
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by McKren(m): 1:37pm On Sep 19, 2007
In a society that has shame Presidency would have been scouting for his replacement. See why:

[b]He said Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN) had raised fundamental issues to warrant the call for the sack of Aondoakaa (SAN).
He said none of the issues raised by Chief Fawehinmi (SAN) had been faulted nor disproved.

He said that in other climes, Aondoakaa ought to have resigned by now, given his handling of Kalu’s case.
According to Falana, the leave granted by Umuahia High Court, Abia permitting the former governor of the state to enforce his fundamental human rights was not and could not be a prohibition to the prosecution of the governor.

He said that though the court ruled that the leave should operate as stay, he said that it must be remembered that the EFCC did not just arrest the former governor but upon a warrant of arrest legally issued by a Federal High Court, Abuja in favour of the anti-graft agency.
Falana posited that the warrant of arrest was issued after the leave of the court was granted ex-Governor Orji Kalu.

He said that the warrant of arrest must first be reversed before the Attorney-General could be talking of breach of rule of law.[/b]

Aondoakaa must go — AFENIFERE

The pan-Yoruba group, Afenifere endorses the call by Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN) that President Umaru Yara’Adua “must find another job for the current Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Mr. Michael Aondoakaa (SAN) if the regime is not to be labelled corruption friendly.”

The group in a statement said: “Since his assumption of office as Attorney-General, Mr. Aondoakaa has displayed that he lacks the capacity to separate the interest of his former clients
(governors accused of corrupt acts) and the public good which he is supposed to be serving.

“In a nation reeling under a justice administration crying for urgent reforms, Mr. Aondoakaa has seen “rule of law” as only ensuring the protection of the rights of alleged treasury looters.

“Afenifere is for the rule of law and this explains why we opposed the excesses of the EFCC under the Obasanjo infamy. But today we are seeing another extreme where a regime that owes a lot of political I.O.Us to corrupt people is trying to use the “rule of law” to shield them from the long arms of the law.

“Upon assumption of office, the first memo the Attorney-General did to the President was to whittle the prosecutorial powers of the EFCC, a request granted by the President only to be reversed after public outcry. Yet the AG continues to use that power to prevent the anti-graft war from having a bite.

The question to ask is why is it that this obsession for the rule of law is only with EFCC which is trying some ex-governors, who were colleagues of the President. Why is the AG not concerned with millions of Nigerians, who are languishing in jail awaiting trial for years? The recent jail break in Agodi prison in Ibadan revealed that of the 680 inmates of the prison 608 are awaiting trial.

“This is of no consequence to Aondoakaa except the fate of only twenty something ex-governors, who are having cases before the anti-graft body. Is the rule of law in Yar’Adua’s republic like that of Animal Farm where all animals were equal but some more equal than others?
In the specific case of Orji Kalu which has set the AG against the EFCC, we see the minister serving personal interest against public good.

If indeed there is a “black-market” injunction restraining the EFCC from arresting Kalu, the minister should have ensured that order was set aside so that Kalu can face trial and prove his innocence or otherwise. The sheer bravado of the minister betrays his tolerance for corruption which has turned our country to the shame that it is today.

Culled from Vanguard
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by McKren(m): 1:44pm On Sep 19, 2007
as a matter of fact it is the AGF who ignored EFCC's court warrant obtained legally from an Abuja high court at a date later than the order Kalu claims to have.

The AGF is selectively quoting only aspects of the constitution that supports his clandestine mission.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by Mamajama(m): 1:58pm On Sep 19, 2007
YES< i 100% think he should be replace. please make this a voting issue
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by Joey82(m): 2:10pm On Sep 19, 2007
@mamajama
Thanx, ve made it an opinion poll, I think i'm the ref. so i wont ve 2 vote
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by BigB11(m): 2:20pm On Sep 19, 2007
Absolutely[b] NO[/b].

For what?

The inner circle  clearly understands what AGF is currently going through. The bed is already setup by OBJ's regime and it will not be easy to get things back on track, especially when you have been informed not to touch certain individuals e.g OBJ, Odili and many more.

FYI: stop wasting your time, AGF is in a position where all his decisions will not be approved without the consent of the president; hence the man is not going anywhere and his voice is indirectly the voice of the president.
He has been selected for these duties to rectify some of the mess OBJ left behind and aggregate the divided nation.

It will take some time for us to realize what this admin is trying to accomplish by taking these steps.

Stay cool and see what happens.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by BigB11(m): 2:32pm On Sep 19, 2007
Politics is a devil.

In order to make adjustment or correct messy situation, there will always be certain steps taken by the government that probably wouldn't make any sense to you and I.
And this is a good example.

In fact, United States continues to face their own political issues on a regular; which result into making unique and senseless decisions. These decisions may not make sense, but trust me, there is reason for every single action.

That is politics.

AGF is not going anywhere, he's only doing what is designed to correct things.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by labiyemmy(m): 2:36pm On Sep 19, 2007
i have said this b4 - the man needs to be sacked or else the Yar'Adua administration will face a lot of problems.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by McKren(m): 2:36pm On Sep 19, 2007
We are not unmindful of the fact that Micheal Aondoakaa may be doing Yaradua's dirty job

But the difference between democracy and dictatorship is that Yaradua needs to be pretending to do the wish of the people and that is why we protest.

It is too early for President Yaradua to allow his administration to be blackmailed thus he is likely to re-appoint another AGF who will bring finesse in doing the President's dirty job.

Aondokaa must go,
and any attempt to sack Aondoakaa and Ribadu together will be resisted because all through this mudslinging Ribadu has acted professionally and kept silent except for when his media correspondent needed to denie EFCC appologising to anyone
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by Mamajama(m): 2:37pm On Sep 19, 2007
BIGB1 you can not be part of the government and criticize the people that employee you.  such thing is unheard of in any country.  people relinquished their position and criticize from the outside.  That will give you dignity and credibility

Colling Powell did resigned out of the Bush administration before he faults the regime.  There are civilized way of resolving issues and not running to the media and running his mouth like a Guinea pig

Why didn't he set up a meeting with the EFCC management team to discussed their differences?  Why didn't he consult the president?

He should be FIRED.  but we all know he wont be fired its too early to say.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by magneto(m): 2:45pm On Sep 19, 2007
Big B1:

Politics is a devil.

In order to make adjustment or correct messy situation, there will always be certain steps taken by the government that probably wouldn't make any sense to you and I.
And this is a good example.

In fact, United States continues to face their own political issues on a regular; which result into making unique and senseless decisions. These decisions may not make sense, but trust me, there is reason for every single action.

That is politics.

AGF is not going anywhere, he's only doing what is designed to correct things.

u make it sound like u are in the "know" about whats going on behind the scene!! do u have any inside info? or did u just come to that conclusion on ur own? why should we trust u?. . .

and one more thing, are u really IBB's son?
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by Mamajama(m): 2:51pm On Sep 19, 2007
YES he is 100% IBB product, I know him personally and we go way back. BIGb1 if you deny your parents this morning I will send the Shango the god of Thunder from OBATALA SHRINE to strike you.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by Joey82(m): 3:03pm On Sep 19, 2007
Who d hell cares if he's IBB's son, what matters is everybody's right 2 his or her opinion, if he thinks Aondakaa should stay, well that's his opinion, for me I know for sure that Aondakaa lacks the pedigree, integrity and intellectual standards to b named d nation's AGF at this delicate time of total mreformation.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by magneto(m): 3:13pm On Sep 19, 2007
@joey

please nobody said his being IBB's son deprives him of his right to his own opinions. i only asked a simple question out of curiosity!!
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by BigB11(m): 3:25pm On Sep 19, 2007
@magneto:

Firstly, I'm not IBB's son, not even close.

Secondly, don't ever listen to MAMAJAMA, he's one confused individual who needs strong medication.

Finally, you need not to be in the circle to figure out Nigerian politics. All it requires is common sense, wisdom and ability not to think like a typical Nigerian.

You must allow your mind to traverse out of the box, always view things from a different angle, not from the angles they've designed for you, you must not be bias, speak out and stick to your guns and finally you must approve or see yourself as the leader at all time.

Very honest, sincere and a best friend anyone could ever have.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by McKren(m): 3:35pm On Sep 19, 2007
BigB1 for the records:

The title of the thread reads "Should AGF be sacked" not "Will he be sacked"

I expected the smart and independent thinker you are to give us legal and constitutional reasons why an AGF who lies and undermines public interest just to favour the interest of his friends should remain in office not telling us that all he does has the backing of the President.

Nobody cares whose backing it has, what we care about is whether this government respects the rule of law it is claiming to defend and whether they are acting in the interest of the generality of Nigerians.

Besides that you talk about not thinking like the average Nigerian, respectfully Sir, can you kindly tell us in the society that makes up those who you think like; what does a public officer have to do in office before he resigns.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by BigB11(m): 3:40pm On Sep 19, 2007
AGF should not and will not be sacked, just because I say so!

How do you like my answer?
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by Joey82(m): 3:43pm On Sep 19, 2007
too harsh Big b1, lets be rational and mature, not trying to pick quarells. This is an opinion poll and statements like "will not be sacked" are much to d affirmative.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by BigB11(m): 3:50pm On Sep 19, 2007
You're right and I'm sorry.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by IykeD1(m): 4:00pm On Sep 19, 2007
While it's clear that the AGF should be fired for incompetence and for putting the interest of
a few ahead of the country's, I doubt very much if Yar Adua will heed that call now as the AGF
was essentially put there to act as proxy for the likes of Atiku, Kalu, and co., a "settlement"
of some sort.

If indeed the AGF had the interest of the country at heart and truly believed that OBJ and
the EFCC were going about the anti-corruption crusade the wrong away, one would have
expected him to have met with the EFCC or the ICPC several times by now and be pushing
for them to also reopen or expedite any ongoing investigations they may have had on those
percieved to have been shielded by OBJ, while at the same time emphasizing to them the
importance of operating within the confinement of the laws.

That type of "equal justice for all" or "rule of law for all" is what one would have expected
from an un-compromised AGF, not by attempting to squash pending court cases under very
false pretenses.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by denex: 5:33pm On Sep 19, 2007
Those of you calling for the Sack of the Attorney General of the Federation are in love with Dictatorship.

Why don't you also call on the President to sack the entire National Assembly too?

Do you not know what it means for the Judiciary (the third major arm of Government) to be independent?

Soon you will call for the President to also sack 5 Governors and 2 Union Leaders.

And with this kind of dictatorial mindstate, some of you think you're better than Obasanjo.

See their mouth like "sack the AGF" why not even call for Yar'Adua to sack of the President of the Nigeria Bar Association?

See their mouth like sack.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by IykeD1(m): 6:46pm On Sep 19, 2007
@Denex

Those of you calling for the Sack of the Attorney General of the Federation are in love with Dictatorship.

Why don't you also call on the President to sack the entire National Assembly too?

Do you not know what it means for the Judiciary (the third major arm of Government) to be independent?

Soon you will call for the President to also sack 5 Governors and 2 Union Leaders.

And with this kind of dictatorial mindstate, some of you think you're better than Obasanjo.

See their mouth like "sack the AGF" why not even call for Yar'Adua to sack of the President of the Nigeria Bar Association?

See their mouth like sack.

I am simply calling for the AGF to be fired, I am not interested in sacking the National Assembly or
the governors you mentioned, just the AGF.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by McKren(m): 8:14pm On Sep 19, 2007
For the records:

If the statement that the so called order obtained by Kalu only emphasized that his fundamental human rights be respected, this AGF must tell Nigerians what version of "Rule of Law" he is quoting as according to the Nigerian constitution in section 35 subsection 1c this AGF is misleading the general public.

35. (1) Every person shall be entitled to his personal liberty and no person shall be deprived of such liberty save in the following cases and in accordance with a procedure permitted by law -

(a) in execution of the sentence or order of a court in respect of a criminal offence of which he has been found guilty;

(b) by reason of his failure to comply with the order of a court or in order to secure the fulfilment of any obligation imposed upon him by law;

(c) for the purpose of bringing him before a court in execution of the order of a court or upon reasonable suspicion of his having committed a criminal offence, or to such extent as may be reasonably necessary to prevent his committing a criminal offence;

(d) in the case of a person who has not attained the age of eighteen years for the purpose of his education or welfare;

(e) in the case of persons suffering from infectious or contagious disease, persons of unsound mind, persons addicted to drugs or alcohol or vagrants, for the purpose of their care or treatment or the protection of the community; or

(f) for the purpose of preventing the unlawful entry of any person into Nigeria or of effecting the expulsion, extradition or other lawful removal from Nigeria of any person or the taking of proceedings relating thereto:

Provided that a person who is charged with an offence and who has been detained in lawful custody awaiting trial shall not continue to be kept in such detention for a period longer than the maximum period of imprisonment prescribed for the offence.

It is also worthy of note that EFCC had a court warrant of arrest for Kalu from a Federal high court Abuja before his arrest. Yet to this AGF what amounts to rule of law is mis-interpring the constitution, and placing priority on a court order obtained from a state court over a federal high court.

He must go.

Denex
there is nothing dictatorial in sacking a minister by the President, the constitution backs it and it has been done before anywhere in the world. Though if there is any decency in Aondoakaa he will resign on his own
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by denex: 8:53pm On Sep 19, 2007
The main thing I see wrong with this Attorney General is that he does not realise the office of the Minister of Justice is a Corporately Conservative office. He handles the position as if it is the office of the Minister of Information (P.R.O).

Besides his excessively showy character, I don't see what else he's done wrong he's just going by the book.

I just hope he doesn't start attending all those ovation parties and owambe.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by Mamajama(m): 9:32pm On Sep 19, 2007
What Book? The show is just starting and we should be patience. will you guys still support this guy 2 years down the line if he totally change his mind? Who are all this people fooling. Please tell me what is the number 1 job or duty of the AGF of Nigeria? is he not responsible for prosecuting all offenders or public office holders?
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by BigB11(m): 9:46pm On Sep 19, 2007
Mckren:

Why are you so perturbed with the position of the AGF?
It is clear to all that EFCC has a despicable reputation in regards to fighting corruption in Nigeria and extremely incompetent to get anything done effectively and efficiently.
But still in your book, this same sketchy EFCC is untouchable.

Please give me a break!

It is very certain to me that you're being selective with your views as usual.

I think you will be happy if RIBADU gets a chance to re-write the constitution of Nigeria.

AGF is only doing his job as designed and I'm sure that the president has his back 100%.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by chidichris(m): 9:55pm On Sep 19, 2007
who will sack agf? pdp is no longer interested in sacking, all they need at the moment is reconcilation. a move to bring back those who left because of the selfish interest of obj in the party that made pdp a personal business.
in all, one need to know that yar adua is trying to right many things that obj wronged both partywise and nigeria as a whole.
atiku's case has been pending and nobody cares to know why and here comes kalu's issue.
we have to remember, these are two close persons, close to the pdp dealings and close obj and his regime. no matter how u look at it, obj has boundaries and limitations. ribadu knows and that was why during the obj admin, he(ribadu) must seek obj's consent before publishing any investigation. such was the situation until the intervention of the senate in their moves to liberate and make efcc an indepent body but to what extent has efcc been independent?
we must look at issues, dariye messed efcc up in his state and nothing happened. alams was picked up and threated like a baby but kalu has been talking since 1999 till date. he has been outspoken and he has challanged obj and efcc on many occassions. we must reflect these issues if efcc is using the same laws in handling all matters why is kalu an exceptional case and i bet u nothing will happen to the man who decleared obj and his carbinet illegal through his state law makers.
i love and respect his boldness and his criticisms has been the problem obj had with him so efcc shld tell us about other govs and leave the gentleman alone.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by BigB11(m): 10:18pm On Sep 19, 2007
EFCC and the rest of these clowns should have been abolished from day one. If this had taken place, we wouldn't be wasting time talking about the AGF.

There is certainly nothing wrong with doing away with OBJ's mess and puting something else more adequate together as a replacement.

The existence of the EFCC (OBJ's mess) will continue to breakdown the spirit of this new admin; absolutely nothing good can come out of this organization. It is over, their reputation is already greatly damaged and people will continue to cry foul play regardless of any accomplishment of this organization.

One doesn't have to be a scientist to figure out that at this point the existence of EFCC is causing more damage than anything else.

When I hear EFCC, I hear OBJ and it is very sad that many other great Nigerian citizens feel the same way
Why not just dissolve the headache for ever?
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by IykeD1(m): 12:14am On Sep 20, 2007
@BigB1

EFCC and the rest of these clowns should have been abolished from day one. If this had taken place, we wouldn't be wasting time talking about the AGF.

On the contrary if people like IBB had not patented and entrenched corruption, there really would have been no need for the "lousy" EFCC or the AGF aka "Chief Law Officer".

The existence of the EFCC (OBJ's mess) will continue to breakdown the spirit of this new admin; absolutely nothing good can come out of this organization. It is over, their reputation is already greatly damaged and people will continue to cry foul play regardless of any accomplishment of this organization.

Lest we forget, while people like you were calling for IBB to come back, it was OBJ and his mess that ushered in this new "angelic" administration that is so clean. They are so clean and strong sticklers for the "rule of law" that they have decided that the best way to fight corruption is to pay lip service to it, at least so it seems. One thing is for sure, Yar Adua will be wasting the next four years making speeches if he really thinks that is the only way to tackle corruption.

One doesn't have to be a scientist to figure out that at this point the existence of EFCC is causing more damage than anything else.
Hmm, what damage is the EFCC really doing that now makes it the most hated entity in Nigeria, is it because they are going after looters and economic saboteurs? Are they going about molesting innocent people, the new Gestapo? Pray, tell me, which ordinary Nigerians have they molested besides the Yahoo Yahoo boys and those who have relocated public funds into their bedrooms or
into swiss banks? Your statement really speaks volume: I hate OBJ so I must hate EFCC!
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by McKren(m): 12:26am On Sep 20, 2007
Nigeria should be moving past the level of a public office holder doing what they so wish merely because they have the backing of the president. it is so shameful that those who talk about rule of law and efficiency are yet to site any section of the constitution that supports the Agf's clandestine mission.

if this is how president yaradua wishes to run his government then I will advice he quickly dissolves the electoral reform panel of justice mohamed uwais as he might need a bigger fraud to win any kind of poll in this country.
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by BigB11(m): 1:03am On Sep 20, 2007
Iyke-D

You forgot to address the rest of my post; why pick and choose? Please go ahead and address it all:
There is certainly nothing wrong with doing away with OBJ's mess and putting something else more adequate together as a replacement.

It is what it is; the failure of the father continues to linger in the soul of the children.

My friends, mark it down: The fight against corruption will continue to move in circle as long as OBJ's mess (EFCC) continues to exist in Nigeria.

those who talk about rule of law and efficiency are yet to site any section of the constitution that supports the Agf's clandestine mission

Could someone please tell me why I should quote or site a weak constitution?
Re: Should The Attorney General Of The Federation Be Sacked? by BigB11(m): 1:23am On Sep 20, 2007
Iyke-D
FYI:
There is certainly nothing wrong with doing away with OBJ's mess and putting something else more adequate together as a replacement.
This was the main agenda of this new admin; they understand the importance of this move, but for some reasons it has not be executed.

Be patient, it is never over till the fat lady sings.

Let's wait and see!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Mayor, Tayo Situ, Dies In Uk / Magistrate Kidnapped In Delta / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.