Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,868 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

“My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? (30440 Views)

Offhand Or Offhead Which Is Correct / “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? / 6 Nigerians Whose Names Are In Guinness World Record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by YEMOYEMI: 3:10pm On Mar 05
Title is not a part of your name. It is wrong to say 'My name is Mr./Dr./Prof. Chinedu'. If you must add title while introducing yourself, then you can say 'I am Mr./Dr./Prof. Chinedu'. Introducing oneself as 'My name is Senator or Honorable Sam Akpabio is way so wrong. Rather I am Senator or Honorable Sam Akpabio is the proper way of introduction. We learn everyday

christejames:
You use 'my name is...' when saying your names without any title, like My name is Seun, Okenwa Abdul.

While you use 'my names are' when you want to attach other titles or appendages to your name like;

My names are, Chief Barrister Seun, Okenwa Abdul Esq. FCA, PPA, the Ogbuefi One of Nairaland Republic! This is because someone can still see you call you by those appendages or titles which are also your names cool

Thanks!
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Aringon(m): 3:22pm On Mar 05
'My names are 'is often used in courts because the justice, lawyers from both end must know all your names so that when References are made to such names, they will know it is you.

But outside the court, ' My name is the most appropriate .

ify2016:
Introducing ourselves is something we do in our everyday life in Gatherings, Meetings, or in Classroom. We usually introduce ourselves by saying: “My name is Tochukwu”, “I am Tochukwu”, “Hello everyone, I’m Tochukwu”, “Hey guys, I am Tochukwu” or “My name’s Tochukwu”.

The duality of English language has however resulted into controversy in the appropriate manner we should introduce ourselves. While some are of the opinion that the appropriate and grammatically correct manner of introducing yourself is saying “My name is Tochukwu Anayo”, some others suggest that the appropriate way of introducing yourself is saying “My names are Tochukwu Anayo-Enechukwu” in order to show plurality of your name.

These conflicting opinion is the reason for writing this article which examines whether ‘My name is’ or ‘My names are’ is the correct form of introducing yourself.

cause to reveal his dual identity, the rare plurality will apply and the writer may introduce himself by saying: My names are Anayo Tochukwu and Charles Lee (pseudonym name).

The similarity with the two aforementioned exceptions is its resemblance of plurality and the use of the conjunction ‘and’ which we cannot normally use while introducing ourselves. Thus, these exceptions come in handy in very special circumstance and can never fall under the conventional form of introducing your name. Hence, saying “My names are” is wrong, while saying “My name is” is the correct way of introducing your name.

Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka, ACMC, is a lawyer and a certified mediator/conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a developer with knowledge in various programming languages. Samuel is determined to leverage his skills in technology, SEO, and legal practice to revolutionize the legal profession worldwide by creating web and mobile applications that simplify legal research. Sam is also passionate about educating and providing valuable information to people.

Copied

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Benwallt(m): 3:31pm On Mar 05
My Name is Musa Josep Ali.

My names are Musa Josep Ali
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Umuinyioku: 5:45pm On Mar 05
talk2hb1:

je vous en prie
Merci
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by folake4u(f): 5:47pm On Mar 05
Tallesty1:

Kuku add N.

Which of the F did you drop?

I like Faouzia

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Hahaha.

I didn't drop any F. More like F2 (F-square).

I like the name too. Answered that at my workplace in Abuja. grin
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by OmoGomesIlorin: 7:53pm On Mar 05
fkj950ax:
Nobody says my house are Door, Roof, Window, Wall

Nobody says my car are tire, seat, horn, engine

So why do people say my name are? It’s so irritating

It depends on how you are being asked.
For example there are two seun in the Art class, I met one of them and I asked him: who are you he can either answer with:
I am [/i]seun (the son of) Osewa of Ogun state.
[i]My name is
Seun (the son of) Osewa of Ogun state.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by ORIGENAL(m): 8:12pm On Mar 05
My Name is Odogwu.
My Name(s) are
Sibi Dembe Osonubo.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by fkj950ax(m): 8:22pm On Mar 05
OmoGomesIlorin:

It depends on how you are being asked.
For example there are two seun in the Art class, I met one of them and I asked him: who are you? he can either answer with:
I am [/i]seun (the son of) Osewa of Ogun state.
My name is Seun (the son of) Osewa of Ogun state.
Your comment has nothing to do with the topic.
And your examples are both singular tenses as you can see from the bold.
A name (singular) is a combination of [a) First Name b) Middle Name. c) Last Name d) Other Names]
The topic is about nitwits referencing name in the plural - "are" - "names"
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by ultimateprof: 8:24pm On Mar 05
webincomeplus:
"My names are" is used by clowns who think doing everything differently makes them appear smart.

1. A human name for ages has been known to be a single entity that comprises multiple components: the first name, the middle name for additional specificity, and the surname. All these make up a "name". So, saying "my names are" is wrong!

2. If I ask you what the name of your school is, you'll say "Federal University of Technology, Owerri" (just an example). Does it make sense to say, "the names of my school are Federal University..." just because the name comprises multiple words?

3. For those who did Biology and Agricultural Science in secondary school, the botanical name of a plant, for example, always has 2 parts. Yet, your teachers and textbooks never referred to a plant's botanical name as "botanical names" just because it has two parts.

4. The only instance when saying "my names are" could be correct is when someone asks you to list out all the names you were given. Then it's correct to say, "My names are Michael, Olugbenga, Adam, Chukwudifu, and Williams". Note the use of commas (or numbering as the case might be).

5. You won't even hear "my names are" from native English speakers.

Your face show your shoe shine!
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Elidrisy20: 8:34pm On Mar 05
My name is tilumbu
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by TTiger: 8:51am On Mar 06
Both are correct; but it depends on the context.
My name is just for your first name.
Example: my name is Taiwo

My names are for your first name, other names including your surname.
Example: Taiwo Ade Olatunji

I hope it helps!
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Johnwrite(m): 11:59am On Mar 08
My names are is correct
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by HellVictorinho6(m): 1:58pm On Mar 08
Mar name iz hell victorinho

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gang Leader Sleeps With Secondary School Girls To Initiate Them / Lasu Law Student, Aminat Yusuf Graduates With 5.0, Breaking 40 Year Old Record / JAMB Suspends National Identification Number (NIN) As Requirement For UTME 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.