Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

“My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? (30380 Views)

Offhand Or Offhead Which Is Correct / “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? / 6 Nigerians Whose Names Are In Guinness World Record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by JayPeeOham: 12:04pm On Mar 05
fkj950ax:
Nobody says my house are Door, Roof, Window, Wall

Nobody says my car are tire, seat, horn, engine

So why do people say my name are? It’s so irritating

Or they say the model of my car are Toyota Camry grin

Or my house are 3 bedrooms duplex grin

1 Like

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Gajagojo: 12:07pm On Mar 05
Bahamas95:
Only an idiòt will say "my names are..........."

I get pissed off whenever I hear it, the most annoying of them all are those that introduce themselves like this:-

1st Person:- What is your name?

2nd Person:- By the grace of God my names are Chukwumah Ciroma Adekunle.

I am irritated too but I rather look at myself to examine why it irritates me
The comment that only an idiot will do so is not true. It says more about you.
The simple truth is that it is a convention but saying my names are is not a solecism and it is not illogical
Years ago I remember some purists lamenting about expressions like
Going viral
But it has come to stay
The Nigerian expression NEXT TOMORROW has now been put in the Oxford English Dictionary
Please fact check
I also found that annoying but it is here to stay obviously

The reality is the expression

MY NAMES ARE
Will likely outlive you
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 12:08pm On Mar 05
My name is ....IS CORRECT,
IT IS NOT JUST A SIMPLE SENTENCE,IT'S A METAPHORICAL SENTENCE TO FULLY ID YOU TO BE DISTINCT FROM OTHER PEOPLE. angry
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Gajagojo: 12:10pm On Mar 05
PARADIZEPRIEST:
IT IS NOT JUST A SIMPLE SENTENCE,IT'S A METAPHORICAL SENTENCE TO FULLY ID YOU TO BE DISTINCT FROM OTHER PEOPLE. angry
There is nothing metaphorical about it
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 12:10pm On Mar 05
PARADIZEPRIEST:
It's just like saying I am Steve Joe.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 12:11pm On Mar 05
Gajagojo:

There is nothing metaphorical about it
argueling for arguing sake is not worth it.The Brits that gave you english invented it. angry
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Gajagojo: 12:15pm On Mar 05
PARADIZEPRIEST:
argueling for arguing sake is not worth it.The Brits that gave you english invented it. angry
do you know the meaning of the word metaphor?
Stop trying to appear knowledgeable when you are clueless and then go on to type in capital

It is not metaphorical
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Azzik: 12:19pm On Mar 05
webincomeplus:
"My names are" is used by clowns who think doing everything differently makes them appear smart.

1. A human name for ages has been known to be a single entity that comprises multiple components: the first name, the middle name for additional specificity, and the surname. All these make up a "name". So, saying "my names are" is wrong!

2. If I ask you what the name of your school is, you'll say "Federal University of Technology, Owerri" (just an example). Does it make sense to say, "the names of my school are Federal University..." just because the name comprises multiple words?

3. For those who did Biology and Agricultural Science in secondary school, the botanical name of a plant, for example, always has 2 parts. Yet, your teachers and textbooks never referred to a plant's botanical name as "botanical names" just because it has two parts.

4. The only instance when saying "my names are" could be correct is when someone asks you to list out all the names you were given. Then it's correct to say, "My names are Michael, Olugbenga, Adam, Chukwudifu, and Williams". Note the use of commas (or numbering as the case might be).

5. You won't even hear "my names are" from native English speakers.
You sabi book my guy
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Dagger111(m): 12:24pm On Mar 05
fkj950ax:

tyre
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Dancebreaker: 12:41pm On Mar 05
talk2hb1:
Nice Write-up, still I introduce myself like this
je m'appelle monsieur...
Awilo Longomba grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by kay29000(m): 1:12pm On Mar 05
Gajagojo:

Why is it nonsense.?
Because it grates on your ears?
Language is dynamic
We hear words like
Woke
Sick
Gay
That have changed in meaning over time
Many Brits are irritated with the way Americans use English but that is the nature of language
Once upon a time they used to say .

Knoweth not thou
So you say something started 10 years ago and it is still happening. That means it is going nowhere

That is the nature of language evolution
In my lifetime Americans changed the meaning of GAY for everyone from HAPPY to HOMOSEXUAL.
Whether anyone likes it or not it is a fait accompli

It is here to stay like
JANGOLOVA

Bro, you didn't have to type paragraphs to make a point. The thing started in Nigeria...I'm sure you watch foreign movies, have you ever heard the originators of the language say "my names are?" That's why it is nonsense.

1 Like

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Gajagojo: 1:14pm On Mar 05
kay29000:

Bro, you didn't have to type paragraphs to make a point. The thing started in Nigeria...I'm sure you watch foreign movies, have you ever heard the originators of the language say "my names are?" That's why it is nonsense.

It is nonsense because it started in Nigeria
It would be OK if it started in America?
Why didn't I have to type paragraphs

You sound liken a control freak
You also have a problem with paragraphs

Learn to deal with reality
The world is how it is
Not how you think.It should be

That is why I needed paragraphs to explain to you
I think I will need a.book because clearly you are impervious to simple explanation
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Diligence: 1:22pm On Mar 05
My Names are.... Sounds Soo stupid!

From Genesis to Revelation, it is: WHAT IS YOUR NAME? Very Standard!

Answer/Response: MY NAME IS:

Sanusi Olusegun Okadigbo. .... Very Standard!
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Never4getU: 1:26pm On Mar 05
My name is so so
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Gajagojo: 1:30pm On Mar 05
Diligence:
My Names are.... Sounds Soo stupid!

From Genesis to Revelation, it is: WHAT IS YOUR NAME? Very Standard!

Answer/Response: MY NAME IS:

Sanusi Olusegun Okadigbo. .... Very Standard!
Language is a tool
As long as the listener and hearer understand each other
We no longer say Thou,Thee and Thine

There would have been a time when
you and yours

Sounded stupid but nobody says thou or thine these days

That is the big picture of language evolution
God d did not decree any particular form as correct
It is by CONSENSUS
That is what thinking allows us to do
To reflect and not to be slaves of rules made by unknown persons
If that is what everyone wants it does not sound stupid

NEXT TOMORROW is a Nigerian expression included in the Oxford English Dictionary within the last 10 years
Language is dynamic
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by SweetDipBenny(m): 1:34pm On Mar 05
My man is, or are grin
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by folake4u(f): 1:37pm On Mar 05
My name is Folakemi Faouzia George.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by kay29000(m): 1:40pm On Mar 05
Gajagojo:

It is nonsense because it started in Nigeria
It would be OK if it started in America?
Why didn't I have to type paragraphs

You sound liken a control freak
You also have a problem with paragraphs

Learn to deal with reality
The world is how it is
Not how you think.It should be

That is why I needed paragraphs to explain to you
I think I will need a.book because clearly you are impervious to simple explanation

So Nigerians that borrowed a language can change the language abi? Can English people in England make changes to Yoruba language?

2 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Chimela101: 1:48pm On Mar 05
fkj950ax:

You are 100% correct 🤙
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by talk2hb1(m): 1:51pm On Mar 05
Umuinyioku:
A bon Mon Ami.
je vous en prie
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by anochuko01(m): 1:55pm On Mar 05
Then there's me who's just gonna say "I am Diogo Joya"
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Tallesty1(m): 1:57pm On Mar 05
folake4u:
My name is Folakemi Faouzia George.
FFG for short

F.F.G may be short in writing but it's as mouthful and long as saying 'First Female Gardener' if you were to compare them.

Stressful even in abbreviation
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Gajagojo: 2:00pm On Mar 05
kay29000:

So Nigerians that borrowed a language can change the language abi? Can English people in England make changes to Yoruba language?
Yes
There is no language that borrowed more from around the world than English
I think I know a bit about English language ,it's history and evolution and when I say a bit a mean a mighty bit.

There are many variants of English around the world.even in England Geordies and Scousers speak differently from Cockneys

and it is not just English There are dialects of Igbo,Yoruba etc that mainstream speakers cannot comprehend.
God did not give any rule book on how language should be spoken.

It is down to CONSENSUS AMONG SPEAKERS
We cannot speak English like English people
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by fkj950ax(m): 2:14pm On Mar 05
Dagger111:

tyre
Tire 🇺🇸 Tyre🇬🇧
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Original4u(m): 2:32pm On Mar 05
I can't thank you enough

He drew his analogy so wrong, it couldn't make sense again

Thank you for correcting him

Gajagojo:

Your analogy is tangential and irrelevant.
The conclusion is correct but as in mathematics
Your answer is correct but your WORKING is wrong

By the way the error You are correcting is
My names are
NOT
My name are

Now the working
By convention when asked
what is your name specifically your full name then You are required to state
Forename
Middle name( s)
Surname

So the issue is a matter of CONVENTION
It is not grammatically or logically wrong to say my names are since you are staying forename,middle name etc

It is just not how the owners of the language use it and honestly it is annoying. TO SOME
However this is absolutely not a grammatical solecism
However Nigeria and Nigerians have a large English population and are entitled to their own quirky use of English language just like Americans e.g GOTTEN, SPEAK TO etc which British find annoying
So in Nigeria we introduced the word SEVERALLY With a new meaning and forced them to put it in the dictionary. FACT CHECK. We also have the world NEXT TOMORROW and BEENTO

We might force them to accept MY NAMES ARE

I honestly do not get the logic of your explanation
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Paulpak34(m): 2:35pm On Mar 05
With my own understanding, I think those names belong to only one person. Therefore, you can use or mention your names with 'is'. But if you want to address the name to many people then you can say our family names are Boluwaji.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Lomprico2: 2:38pm On Mar 05
ify2016:
Introducing ourselves is something we do in our everyday life in Gatherings, Meetings, or in Classroom. We usually introduce ourselves by saying: “My name is Tochukwu”, “I am Tochukwu”, “Hello everyone, I’m Tochukwu”, “Hey guys, I am Tochukwu” or “My name’s Tochukwu”.

The duality of English language has however resulted into controversy in the appropriate manner we should introduce ourselves. While some are of the opinion that the appropriate and grammatically correct manner of introducing yourself is saying “My name is Tochukwu Anayo”, some others suggest that the appropriate way of introducing yourself is saying “My names are Tochukwu Anayo-Enechukwu” in order to show plurality of your name.

These conflicting opinion is the reason for writing this article which examines whether ‘My name is’ or ‘My names are’ is the correct form of introducing yourself.

cause to reveal his dual identity, the rare plurality will apply and the writer may introduce himself by saying: My names are Anayo Tochukwu and Charles Lee (pseudonym name).

The similarity with the two aforementioned exceptions is its resemblance of plurality and the use of the conjunction ‘and’ which we cannot normally use while introducing ourselves. Thus, these exceptions come in handy in very special circumstance and can never fall under the conventional form of introducing your name. Hence, saying “My names are” is wrong, while saying “My name is” is the correct way of introducing your name.

Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka, ACMC, is a lawyer and a certified mediator/conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a developer with knowledge in various programming languages. Samuel is determined to leverage his skills in technology, SEO, and legal practice to revolutionize the legal profession worldwide by creating web and mobile applications that simplify legal research. Sam is also passionate about educating and providing valuable information to people.

Copied

'is' is the correct word to use
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by sholay2011(m): 2:39pm On Mar 05
My name IS Olusola Israel.

My names ARE Olusola, Israel, Ayo, and so on.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by folake4u(f): 2:47pm On Mar 05
Tallesty1:
FFG for short

F.F.G may be short in writing but it's as mouthful and long as saying 'First Female Gardener' if you were to compare them.

Stressful even in abbreviation

F.G is even better.

First Female Gardener kee you there. 😂😂
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Tallesty1(m): 2:52pm On Mar 05
folake4u:

F.G is even better.

First Female Gardener kee you there. 😂😂
Kuku add N.

Which of the F did you drop?

I like Faouzia

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by CHIGIM: 3:09pm On Mar 05
My name is Joy or my names are Joy Okon Musa.
It depends on hw u want to introduce urself they are both correct.
But please dont u say
My name is Joy Okon Musa or my names are Joy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jonathan Appoints Vice-Chancellors For 5 New Universities / Pathetic State Of Schools In Akwa Ibom (pics) / Professor Grace Otinwa: I Kneel Down To Greet My Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.