Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,323 members, 7,829,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances (134 Views)

Niyi Adebayo: FG Have Disbursed N56.84bn Survival Funds To 835,161 Beneficiaries / Twitter Says Discussions With FG Have Been "Respectful And Productive" / Amotekun Proposed Law: Wale Fapohunda Says Personnel Will Have Powers To Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by Minsk24: 11:06am On Mar 07
With the amount of white elephant projects Littered across states , do u think it is a good idea for the federal government to have strong oversight of spending by states?
For example, we are lucky to have a federal government that is ready to take the country forward and stamp out corruption and wastage ..i will suggest the federal government have a yearly audit of how states spend money, and for federal government to have authority to litigate some proposed state projects in court in order to suspend it or probe it for transparency and economic viability...
For this to work perfectly well, Nigeria must institute and work with economic plans , these plans will be backed by law, the executive will be the manager of economic plans , the executive can tweak but cannot make full overhaul without approval from the parliament...
This will help curb wasteful spending...
Re: Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by Beautifulday: 11:23am On Mar 07
Minsk24:
With the amount of white elephant projects Littered across states , do u think it is a good idea for the federal government to have strong oversight of spending by states?
For example, we are lucky to have a federal government that is ready to take the country forward and stamp out corruption and wastage ..i will suggest the federal government have a yearly audit of how states spend money, and for federal government to have authority to litigate some proposed state projects in court in order to suspend it or probe it for transparency and economic viability...
For this to work perfectly well, Nigeria must institute and work with economic plans , these plans will be backed by law, the executive will be the manager of economic plans , the executive can tweak but cannot make full overhaul without approval from the parliament...
This will help curb wasteful spending...

Who will monitor that of FG?
Re: Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by slimfit1(m): 11:28am On Mar 07
The parliament are supposed to do that with half of the country's budget they get.
Re: Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by Minsk24: 11:30am On Mar 07
Beautifulday:

Who will monitor that of FG?
Lol, thats is why i say, whenever we have a federal government that is efficient and ready to reform Nigeria
Re: Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by Minsk24: 11:31am On Mar 07
slimfit1:
The parliament are supposed to do that with half of the country's budget they get.
Yes , but i dont think such laws exist, the states spend their money at will without oversight
Re: Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by Beautifulday: 11:33am On Mar 07
Minsk24:

Lol, thats is why i say, whenever we have a federal government that is efficient and ready to reform Nigeria

This is almost impossible because one regime can be efficient and the next something else.
Re: Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by Minsk24: 11:42am On Mar 07
Beautifulday:

This is almost impossible because one regime can be efficient and the next something else.
That is why i said , everything has to be backed by law ...this oversight will be conducted by the house or representatives
Re: Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by Beautifulday: 11:47am On Mar 07
Minsk24:

That is why i said , everything has to be backed by law ...this oversight will be conducted by the house or representatives

If FG is doing well, state will copy them.
Re: Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by Asonaijaaso: 11:53am On Mar 07
There should be federal agency that can swoop in and sanitize state finances where embezzlement and corruption is suspected.

If not the system will be abused. Whistleblowers should be encouraged within state governments.
Re: Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by Minsk24: 12:00pm On Mar 07
Beautifulday:

If FG is doing well, state will copy them.
Yes but there has to be reforms and laws, to ensure states have guidelines

1 Like

Re: Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by Minsk24: 12:02pm On Mar 07
Asonaijaaso:
There should be federal agency that can swoop in and sanitize state finances where embezzlement and corruption is suspected.

If not the system will be abused. Whistleblowers should be encouraged within state governments.
U have a point, but we must be careful so as not to stifle states...
By oversight, i mean, yearly audit of spending and overall finances (states spending across different sectors must be in line with the economic plan laid out)
Litigation in court on projects to ensure transparency and economic viability
Re: Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by Asonaijaaso: 12:09pm On Mar 07
Minsk24:

U have a point, but we must be careful so as not to stifle states...
By oversight, i mean, yearly audit of spending and overall finances (states spending across different sectors must be in line with the economic plan laid out)
Litigation in court on projects to ensure transparency and economic viability

Not yearly, maybe even once a year, just to prevent a state governor from buying 50 cars and buying houses in Dubai and London. There has to be checks and balances.
As long as they are receiving funds from Federal, there should be some oversight.
Re: Should FG Have Powers To Audit And Monitor State Finances by Minsk24: 12:29pm On Mar 07
Asonaijaaso:

Not yearly, maybe even once a year, just to prevent a state governor from buying 50 cars and buying houses in Dubai and London. There has to be checks and balances.
As long as they are receiving funds from Federal, there should be some oversight.
I totally agree

(1) (Reply)

Is Suicide An Escape Route / Ohaneze Hails Sen Ubah, NASS Over Passage Of S/east Dev Commission Bill / Nigeria Is Disgrace On International Media Shocking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.