Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,903 members, 7,810,475 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? (5789 Views)

Bunch Of Confusion In Christianity / A Fine Example Of Religious Tolerance - *SARCASM* / The Social Effects Of Religious Beliefs In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by tuniski: 8:21pm On Nov 16, 2011
GBAM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poster u don talk my mind finish. All d frosbels of this world are d cause of d myraid of our backwardness in d name of religion!
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by numo86(m): 9:49pm On Nov 16, 2011
kj_hova:

[td]If only we practice the injunctions laid out by our various holy books, our society would be a reflection of our lives. Sadly we are with our various faiths trying to cut our nose to spite the face.[/td]

No sir, If we follow the injunctions of these "holy" books, we will be worse off! Take the few injunctions below from the bible as example:

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them." - Leviticus chapter 20.

"When a slave-owner strikes a male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately, the owner shall be punished. But if the slave survives for a day or two, there is no punishment; for the slave is the owner's property, " Exodus chapter 21.

If we follow these and many others in the bible or quran, we will kill homosexuals extrajudicially and not only hold slaves, but beat slaves to pulp as we like. Religion is for fools as fools are for religion. The most religious societies are usually the most inhuman. Currently, Finland and Australia are reckoned as the most Atheistic nations on Earth yet life is fair there. Afghanistan, Yemen and Nigeria are among the most religious and we are at best slightly better of than field animals.

Lol, so u tink finland n australian filled wit atheist is now normal, and a fair nation?, uh?, just please tel me which christian principle which if practiced leads to ones detriment?those laws u quoted from d old testament are laws to d isrealite as a nation not to christians, God doesnt deal wit a special nation anymore
Jesus taught
"turn the other cheek"
"he that kils by d sword dies by it"
"do not return evil for evil to no one"
, tel me if d world applied such principles that we wont xperience peace n serenity,
Just knw d moment people dont apply these admonisions is wen they xperience failure,
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 2:43am On Nov 17, 2011
:|
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by menik(m): 6:51am On Nov 17, 2011
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by Sike(m): 1:52pm On Nov 17, 2011
What is a Religion for goodness sake??
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by mrmayor(m): 2:28pm On Nov 17, 2011
[size=13pt]Frosbel, Joabgaje, Toba, Sweetnecta where art thou?[/size] shocked shocked
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by ugosly(m): 4:33pm On Nov 17, 2011
Oh yes we are religious bigots in Nigeria.but I hope you keep it in mind that if not for the same religion (christainity) people like you mock,the rate of violent crime in these country where the average man has lost hope would hav spiralled out of control, e.g I have witnessed church services where serial(ritual) killers,armed robbers,(eg Shina Rambo)paedophilliacs etc give up their vices as a result of a 'Godly touch' of heart.
In some of the sermons you hear the preacher say somthin like "God says i should tell you,this month is ur month of miracles and financial turn around" and with gladness and hopefulness, an armed robber or ritualist wanna be goes happy and expectant.
@poster,Having said that,u should undastand that religion has done more good than harm,as the concluding part of ur post states,if only majority will practise what they preach.It is quite unfortunate some thugs and agberos in agbada(politicians) resort to playing politics with religion as a tool and weapon.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by nedostic: 8:53pm On Nov 17, 2011
This poster to me calls for sober reflection on every one's part. It should not be confrontational and also let us not be prejudice with any religion. To me, we all have a role to play in making the society a better place . The christian religion of which I am proud to belong teaches sobriety and this to me equally applies in other religious sects.

Religion being the opium of the people is good in all aspects.If we live by the tenets of it, we would be better off. Materialism as it is flaunted embellished in our society is a great disservice to the Nigerian society. It is equally pathetic to see some religious leaders living a pretentious lifestyle.

One thing that baffles me is the rise in private schools and higher institutions yet so many Nigerians cannot afford the means of going to these schools. I sincerely believe that no matter the excuse that quality education begets high tuition, schools belonging to religious sects must be made affordable to every Nigerian irrespective of tribe,religious inclination,sex,etc. My submission on this is hypocrisy at its peak. The missionaries offered free education to us. I wonder why we cannot offer this to ourselves?No excuse!

By and large, let us all wake up from hypocrisy and live within the tenets of our religious teachings. More so, let us balance out prayers with work, and apply faith as well. Faith is a necessary ingredient to life.It is the hope for a better tomorrow,
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by manmustwac(m): 3:26am On Nov 21, 2011
It seems to me the opening poster is saying: we don't really practise what our various religions teach and/or we misuse the teaching. I think there is a considerable amount of truth in this and to that extent I agree with much of the opening post by and large.
Enigma i just want to hear your opinon on the hypocisy of religion.

Let us try and reason together honestly for one minute: for this purpose only let me agree with you (really let me assume) that there is no God. Even if there is no God and we take the teachings of Christianity as only a moral code for right and wrong: do you think if people truly follow what Christianity teaches there would be so much corruption in Nigeria?
No of course there wouldn't be corruption and living in Nigeria would be like living in Heaven on Earth but its not life is like living in HELL! to the struggling masses.

Do you think a person truly following the teachings of Christianity would cheat another person? Do you think a person following the teachings of Christianity will hold you to ransom until you pay some bribe before performing his official function? Do you think a person following the teaching of Christianity will not feel some remorse for taking sex.ual advantage of another person?
Enigma i have to agree with you on all of the above but then as far as am concerned we are the biggest hypocrites. A policeman can shoot you dead if you don't pay him his bribe. Pastor will rather pray for you while you DIE instead of give back a small percentage of his tithe to save your life. Why is it that in athiest countries like finland denmark sweden that people who are not religious live better lives than the masses in nigeria who preach the bible 24/7?

Let's even go to a different arena: do you think a person truly following the teachings of Christianity will buy private jets, build unaffordable universities, live opulently on the back of "tithes and offerings" of misguided people who call themselves his congregation or followers?
Enigma again i agree with all of the above but then let nigeria be like heaven on earth i still wouldn't believe in god because i can't convince myself about the creation story is true. I find it a lot easier to believe in evolution.
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by Joagbaje(m): 5:03am On Nov 21, 2011
mrmayor:

[size=13pt]Frosbel, Joabgaje, Toba, Sweetnecta where art thou?[/size] shocked shocked

Acts 9:6
. . what wilt thou have me to do?
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by gotizsata: 9:56am On Nov 21, 2011
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by odoma(f): 9:54am On Nov 23, 2011
T
Re: Are We A Bunch Of Religious Hypocrites? by Youngsage: 2:06am On Nov 28, 2011
The word 'Christian' means 'Christ-like', nd it was 1st mentioned in Antioch when d pple saw d attitude of Paul nd his companions. I am nt perfect, bt by d grace of God am strivin 2, nd will continue 2. It baffles me dat, some pple who lay claim 2 b christians(church goers) av no idea wat it means, entails, nd requires, nd so (non-christians) judge christians, and also justify their own religious ignorance(eternal consequences) by d actions of these pple dat lay claim on 'Christianity', which in fact is not a religion, bt a way of life.
Nw, if u call urself a christian, ask urself d ff questions: am i really a christian(christlike or imitating christ)? Am i a christian because i made a personal decision to follow christ, or because i was born into 'a christian family'? Dis issues shud b addressd personally. Den if u find out u av bn blinded under the image of false christianity, den it is nt 2late to make dat change. And i av one advise 2 all catholics/anglicans nd all other sects which tend 2 b under dat category: study ur bible nd find out d truth urselves b4 u ar plunged into eternity

(1) (2) (Reply)

Complete Story Of Creation: When did god create hell fire ? / For Those Who Claim Bishop Adolf Hitler Was An Atheist / The Existence Of A Conscious Watchman (a Discussion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.