Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed (20939 Views)

Wike: I Was A Drinking 40-Year-Old Whiskey When Atiku Marched To INEC In Protest / Olusegun Osoba: How Fake News From Foreign Media Triggered 1967 Civil War / “Like. Share. Kill” – BBC Report On How Fake News Has Led To Deaths In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by naptu2: 3:48pm On Mar 23
How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed

The immediate past Minister of Information and National Orientation, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has recounted how fake news peddled on social media almost crashed his 40-year-old marriage.

The ex-minister gave the account in Lagos at an event to commemorate the 90th birthday anniversary of Prof. Wole Soyinka, Africa’s first Nobel laureate for literature.

He recalled that one of the pressing challenges he faced in office as minister was the spate of fake news, misinformation, and disinformation.

Speaking specifically about how the menace almost ruined his marriage, Mohammed stressed that the consequences of fake news, disinformation, and misinformation were far-reaching.

“Permit me to share publicly with you today, for the first time, how social media threatened the foundation of my forty-year-old marriage.

“It was sometimes in 2018 when I came to Lagos from Abuja for an official assignment.

“As usual, I retire to bed about midnight, but about 3 a.m., my wife gently roused me from my slumber.

“At first, I panicked, fearing that there had been a security breach, but my wife’s mind belied that possibility, for she was calm and composed,” the ex-minister said.

He continued: “Solemnly, my wife asked me if I was fully awake as there were some serious issues to discuss.

“I could not fathom what was that urgent or serious to warrant being woken up at this time of the night.

“My mind immediately did a kaleidoscope of my rascalities and escapades in the last few months.”

Mohammed said the accusation from his wife which according to him, was ‘a bombshell’ narrated to him in Yoruba language, but roughly translated thus:

“Daddy, death can come knocking at any moment, please let me also, as your wife, be a signatory to your oversea account in Ali Financial which contains 1.3 billion dollars.”

The former minister said he could not believe that his wife could take, hook, line, and sinker the fake story in circulation crediting humongous sums of money in overseas accounts to government functionaries/ministers under former President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration.

“I spent the next two hours or so, sweating to convince my wife that there is no iota of truth in the allegation.

“I had to fetch a calculator and reproduce the Federal Appropriation Act for 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 in the middle of the night and explain to her why it is simply preposterous for me to have 1.3 billion dollars in a foreign account.

“I explained to her that there is no year my capital budget exceeded N5 billion, which, at about N400 to a dollar, was just 12.5 million dollars.

“I explained that, even if I managed to divert every kobo of it to my personal account, it would take at least 104 years to save the sum of 1.3 billion dollars being peddled that I stole,” he said.

Mohammed added: “My wife insisted that the whole world believed the story and that her friends had as a result, besieged her with all kinds of requests.

“She said every effort on her part to deny the existence of this foreign account only succeeded in depicting her in the minds of her friends as a selfish, greedy, and uncaring friend.

“Is my wife truly convinced of my innocence? The answer is in the wind!.”

Mohammed reiterated that social media remained the platform of choice for the purveyors of fake news, anti-state groups, anarchists, secessionists, terrorists, and bandits.

He recalled that while in government, his ministry uncovered 476 online publications that were dedicated to spreading fake news against the Buhari administration.

Mohammed specifically recalled the fake news that the former president had died while receiving treatment in a London hospital and was replaced by a clone called “Jubril from Sudan.”

According to him, the challenge of fake news continued up to the campaigns leading to the 2023 general elections, where President Bola Tinubu became a target when videos and speeches attributed to him were manipulated and distorted.

He said the purveyors of fake news were relentless in their efforts to de-market the laudable policies and programmes of Tinubu’s administration.

Mohammed said fake news had become exponential through the use of Artificial Intelligence and deep learning techniques to create highly realistic fake or manipulated videos, audio recordings or images.

“The consequences of disinformation and misinformation are far-reaching.

“They undermine democratic processes, sow discord within communities, and pose significant threats to public health and safety.

“Today, even the media is at risk of losing its credibility because of the proliferation of fake news on social media.

“Therefore, the media, as custodians of the public trust, must take decisive action to combat the scourge of disinformation and misinformation,” he said.

Mohammed said that social media platforms and other intermediaries accountable for their role in amplifying disinformation and misinformation should be held responsible.

According to him, they should be checked through robust regulatory frameworks to curb the spread of false information while safeguarding freedom of expression.

He admonished social media platforms to prioritise the integrity of information over profit motives and take proactive measures to detect and remove harmful content from their platforms. (NAN)

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/03/how-fake-news-almost-ruined-my-40-year-old-marriage-lai-mohammed/

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by helinues: 3:58pm On Mar 23
grin cheesy

It's actually hard to believe Mr Lie sorry Lai story

105 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by Nackzy: 4:01pm On Mar 23
Lies, you've been lying for years now

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by Feintline: 4:01pm On Mar 23
They only dished you what you dished to us for years.
From lai to lies you gave it to us bàck to back to back.

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by Think9ja(m): 4:09pm On Mar 23
I'm also a strong advocate of regulating social media. Too much fake news flying around from the Gbajue Party and their mumu followers.

David Hundeyin will come online and tweet that Tinubu was caught fvcking a goat in Atiku's backyard, the Gbajue children will start spreading the fake news around.

Innocent weaklings will start to masturbate

Social media should and must be regulated.

Free speech is not free madness

82 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by LibertyRep: 4:12pm On Mar 23
“My mind immediately did a kaleidoscope of my rascalities and escapades in the last few months.”

Meaning?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by alfredilly: 4:35pm On Mar 23
The chief executive officer of fake news claiming to be a victim of the agency he ran with smooth efficiency. Nothing way person no go see for naija

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:36pm On Mar 23
I explained that, even if I managed to divert every kobo of it to my personal account, it would take at least 104 years to save the sum of 1.3 billion dollars being peddled that I stole,” he said.
Mohammed added: “My wife insisted that the whole world believed the story and that her friends had as a result, besieged her with all kinds of requests.
Enemies of the nation and stupid rumors sha.....

Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by adioolayi(m): 4:36pm On Mar 23
Is God not wonderful

The master of the game is also afraid of fake news

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesygrin grin

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by NaijaCover(m): 4:36pm On Mar 23
Following The Update
Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by Whalis: 4:36pm On Mar 23
Lol. Fake news dey affect Lai! The Bible says Return return oh Shulamite.

4 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by emnite(m): 4:37pm On Mar 23
Lai lies Mohamed

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by Treadway: 4:37pm On Mar 23
First of, Lai is a certified, irredeemable liar.
Secondly, this story account even if delivered by him, is certainly not from him. This is a man that is much too dim to be able to spell, pronounce or know the meanings of half of the words in that speech.

Flowing from the above, the lying machine has told yet another lie, as this is either the reality/story of someone else or just plain fiction.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by marlow1962(m): 4:37pm On Mar 23
Cap
Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by wizelink(m): 4:38pm On Mar 23
Why are you complaining of fake news Mr? The plate you used in dishing out fake news and lies to over 200million people in 2013/2014 was used to serve you same meal and you are here complaining. Can you crescent or cross your heart that the social media lies and propergander before 2014 elections were all truth? Go and ask God for forgiveness because you sinned against heavens and earth even underneath the earth since your sins even reawakened those long dead. Those 2014 lies have metamorphosed into all forms of hardship most Nigerians are facing today. You and principal officer (presdo) laid the foundation but the current presdos is doing his best to fix a little portion of your creation.

4 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by tefishy(m): 4:38pm On Mar 23
I don't think Nigerians can forgive this man over some of the damages he made through his mouth undecided

10 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by LordofNaija: 4:38pm On Mar 23
angry Even this ehn story fit still be lie. I wonder the kind story weh this man go dey tell his grandchildren

15 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by GEEBITE: 4:40pm On Mar 23
He knows what he saying. I have bumped into him in a coded guest house in Ikeja GRA with a girl young enough to be his daughter while serving as a minister.
LibertyRep:

Meaning?

3 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by inoki247: 4:41pm On Mar 23
Lol the Wife go dey try sef....

If the wife hear I love you from Lie mouth he go doubt as she don see Lie as Lai hobbie....

2 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by Cj4charles(m): 4:42pm On Mar 23
This might still be lie

3 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by tobenuel(m): 4:43pm On Mar 23
Beer parlor discussion

3 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by jimmyvic(m): 4:44pm On Mar 23
You meant to say "How my lies almost ruined my 40yr- old marriage" because you're a pathetic liar

6 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by bigdammyj: 4:45pm On Mar 23
Noted.
Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by Akharmony: 4:45pm On Mar 23
Like husband like wife.. even wife demand to b a signatory to stolen fund🤣🤣

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by onuman: 4:45pm On Mar 23
That must have turned you into becoming number one harbinger of FAKE INFORMATION IN NIGERIA which you are.

2 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by Benekkk: 4:46pm On Mar 23
Baba, with due respect to your age, you failed Nigeria in a very disgusting way. Please keep out of the public eye let us manage our lives in peace.

3 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by MrPOTUS: 4:47pm On Mar 23
undecided

Dey play.

Ur lies no ruin your marriage, na fake news wan ruin am.

3 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by APOPTOSIS: 4:48pm On Mar 23
Several Lies in One day...
Nigerians are truly suffering.
Lie Mohammed here now, taking over.
Pastor Chris was here too with his Bollywood!
Politicians knack dem from left.
Pastors knack dem from Right.

2 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by seanery: 4:48pm On Mar 23
Who cares
Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by enemyofprogress: 4:50pm On Mar 23
He still lied to his wife..... bloody liar

2 Likes

Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by id4sho(m): 4:52pm On Mar 23
embarassed
Re: How fake news almost ruined my 40-year-old marriage — Lai Mohammed by Judolisco(m): 4:55pm On Mar 23
Dis man ehn.... His wife didn't wake him up at 3am and no question was asked.... Baba jst cooked up dis story.... He is a lawyer so I'm not surprised na part of their profession to dey lie

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Omowunmi Akande's Fidau Prayer: Osinbajo, Tinubu, Ajimobi, Akeredolu / Nigerian Couple Arrested With Drugs In India / Buhari's Second Niger Bridge Parting Gift To Ndigbo By Farooq Kperogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.