Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,191 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

Press Freedom, What Is It All About? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Press Freedom, What Is It All About? (1464 Views)

Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. / Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom / Al-mustapha And Press Freedom. AIT ,Dokpesi Sacked 2 Senior Editorial Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Press Freedom, What Is It All About? by Johnny(m): 5:16pm On Mar 08, 2006
This topic may look odd here at nairaland, but it is an issue that has bothered my mind for some time now. Recently it was reported that the government of one African country raided a media house after it reported that the president of the country had a secret meeting with a former minister in the administration, which both the president and the former minister denied. People around the globe condemmed the raid. Again, just this week in Camoroun, a journalist was sent to prison for falsly reporting that a government minister was a homosexual. I am waiting for reactions from around the globe in that regard. My head ache is, doesn't press freedom recognise privacy as should have been observed in the former case, or it encourages deformation of charater as seen in the latter? What is this press freedom all about?
Re: Press Freedom, What Is It All About? by demmy(m): 5:48pm On Mar 08, 2006
While free speech has improve in Nigeria Obasanjo govt has violated the press freedom lot of times too.

just click the google link below

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=press+freedom+nigeria
Re: Press Freedom, What Is It All About? by ekitikete(m): 6:53am On Mar 19, 2006
I attended an information forum organized by the Islamic Center of East Lansing, MI USA on Saturday March 18 2006 to educate the public about Islam and its Prophet  in the wake of the global unrest  of the past weeks.  One of the panelists and discussants was a Nigerian Christian, Dr. Folu Ogundimu, a journalism ethics professor with the Michigan State University, East Lansing.  His brief was to expatiate on press freedom and the role of a responsible press in diseminating information to the public. According to him, just because there is freedom of press does not give the press the right to publish information that are intentionally distorted, prejudiced, hatefu, inciteful, harmful or offensive to the sensibilities of the people or the commonwealth rights and feelings.    The freedom of the press is only limited to political speech, and even so,  a reporter can be censored if he/she compromises on matter that are sensitive to the security of a country.    He said there is an unwritten code of conduct that a reporter should follow - and that is, to use his rational judgement in the discharge of his responsibilities.  Failure to do show can result in unpleasant consequences, as the Cameroonian reporter had learnt, albeit too late, to his detriment.(hopefully)

(1) (Reply)

Obj Leads Praise Singers For Adedibu, Calls Him A Good Product / The Nigerian State With More Than Abundant Human Resources / Islamic Banking: Sanusi Is Breaking The Law!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.