Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,291 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review (29891 Views)

'How Tomato Paste Importers Are Killing Nigerians' - Erisco Foods (2015) / Nagiko Threatened To Kidnap & Kill Me Over Erisco Tomato Review - Chioma Egodi / Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Orinechi: 4:41pm On Apr 08
Kukutenla:

Oh ok. I get you now. Since no one complains then it is not a crime

Well, I disagree. My question was whether demarketing is actually a crime.

I just used Reno as an example

I can turn your analogy round and say since MTN did not complain, it is probably not a crime

But here is a lady being accused of it

That's why I asked the question if de-marketing is a crime

Oh and for your example on arson, there's a reason Police go on patrol. If police catch an arsonist on patrol, they are not going to let him go simply because no one reported the arson
In your example, if the police arraign the arsonist in court and owner of the property testify in court against the police that none of his or her property was burnt, what do u think will be the outcome of the case?
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by aremubabs: 4:42pm On Apr 08
UselessBuharist:
What’s the IG’s personal issue in this matter?

The woman didn’t criticise constructively though.

Why place her on watch list as if she committed a crime against the state.

They can’t place kidnappers and thief thief politicians on watch list oo, when it comes to ordinary citizens they will spread like butter on top bread

Being on a police watchlist does not necessarily mean you have committed a crime against the state. It can also mean that you are under investigation.

In the case of Mrs Egodi, she had been jumping bail, so they put her on a watchlist. If she manages to escape out of the country, law enforcement agencies elsewhere can see that she is under investigation.

1 Like

Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by pek(m): 4:45pm On Apr 08
zrocky:
she use *** it can mean any thing . Na just say she dey poor this is not a valid case in court
Tell us what it means
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Kukutenla: 4:46pm On Apr 08
Orinechi:
In your example, if the police arraign the arsonist in court and owner of the property testify in court against the police that none of his or her property was burnt, what do u think will be the outcome of the case?

And if the police show evidence of his property getting burnt through a CCTV for example, I hope you know the owner who lied in court will go to jail for perjury
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by ubimagos: 4:47pm On Apr 08
Ijaya123:
Hmmm…This will only do more damage to the Erisco food brand.

Naturally, people will always side with the underdog and more so as this is perceived as bullying and unwarranted intimidation towards the lady, no body will go near that man’s product anytime soon.

Bytheway, what exactly does the man expect to get from the court? I think the man took the wrong advice.

Na your food! What is damaging than what she's being charged for?

1 Like

Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by pek(m): 4:48pm On Apr 08
melodyogonna:
Is it illegal to make a product review in Nigeria?
There are three things here
You don't know what a review is
You didn't read her comments and reply
You lack basic knowledge of the law
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Bliztzer: 4:50pm On Apr 08
Kelklein:
Not surprised.. the Nigerian Police has shown over time that they are the protector of the rich, high and mighty..🤔🤔

As a common man, just be careful out there.. no go chook mouth for wetin no concern you..

The way I dey take watch erisco, them belong some kind of brotherhood of evil. The truth dey visible but dem dey use connections to water it down.
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Orinechi: 4:55pm On Apr 08
Kukutenla:

And if the police show evidence of his property getting burnt through a CCTV for example, I hope you know the owner who lied in court will go to jail for perjury
And he or she maintains , he or she is not the owner of the property in court.
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by melodyogonna(m): 4:57pm On Apr 08
pek:
There are three things here
You don't know what a review is
You didn't read her comments and reply
You lack basic knowledge of the law
The last two are correct. On the second point I read somewhere that she said the tomato contained too much sugar, I never really saw the original video. On the last point, the answer is what I'm trying to ascertain, no?
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by KillahPriest: 4:58pm On Apr 08
FreeStuffsNG:
Trouble sleep yanga go wake am up. Smh.

Many of them are still online, criminally cyberbullying and trolling.

She should actually be investing in an amicable settlement with the Erisco man, Eric Umeofia, founder of Erisco Foods Limited, since she claimed that she did not have any ulterior motive, after all , we are all humans and we can err. Even the Bible counsel you to beg your adversary when you realise that you erred.

All she needs to do to understand how her adversary feels hurt is to place herself in the shoes of her adversary. It really hurts and she needs a measure of humility to come to that reality. It's easy to destroy but to build takes a lot of hardwork. The manner and route she used to give her feedback could have destroyed that man's business and sent him into bankruptcy and penury! She will not want such fate to befall her own business too nah.

The first time I read her comment on the brand, I knew she has gotten herself into avoidable trouble but never knew she'll let it degenerate to this level.

So sad. She should be given the opportunity to defend herself in court. I pray she gets out of the problem.
God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!
bulaba bandits supporting oppression while talking nonsense are 5,6 and 7 cool
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by aremubabs: 5:00pm On Apr 08
melodyogonna:
Is it illegal to make a product review in Nigeria?

It is not illegal. But truthfully, she didn't make a product review, she made an unfair review, especially when she told a relative of the brand to tell her brother to stop killing Nigerians.

For me, this is a case of libel. In Nigeria, libel can be a crime.

The only other charge I feel they truly have against her is cyberbullying.

Demarketing (or counter marketing) are ordinarily not crimes except fraud is roped into it.

I also don't see the reason for a charge of criminal conspiracy against her. Criminal conspiracy to do what? Demarket Erisco? Demarketing can be unsettling, but not a crime.

Organizations demarket their competitors every now and then, and it is considered a marketing strategy.
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by melodyogonna(m): 5:00pm On Apr 08
Angelfrost:

Absolutely not... Public reviews are acceptable and common place.

However, posting unverified or unverifiable information aimed at damaging the reputation of a corporation is not only frowned upon by Law, but viewed as criminal.

Reviews should be done with facts and objectivity.
I see.
And what did she say exactly that went outside objective review and into the realm of image damage? The articles I have read about the incident might have been oversimplifying the whole situation
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by melodyogonna(m): 5:02pm On Apr 08
aremubabs:

It is not illegal. But truthfully, she didn't make a product review, she made an unfair review, especially when she told a relative of the brand to tell her brother to stop killing Nigerians.

Demarketing (or counter marketing) are ordinarily not crimes except fraud is roped into it.

I also don't see the reason for a charge of criminal conspiracy against her. Criminal conspiracy to do what? Demarket Erisco? Demarketing can be unsettling, but not a crime.

Organizations demarket their competitors every now and then, and it is considered a marketing strategy.
She said that? Lmao, what?! Interesting, the things I have seen are really oversimplification then
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by akyus(m): 5:02pm On Apr 08
UselessBuharist:
What’s the IG’s personal issue in this matter?

The woman didn’t criticise constructively though.

Why place her on watch list as if she committed a crime against the state.
Hi
They can’t place kidnappers and thief thief politicians on watch list oo, when it comes to ordinary citizens they will spread like butter on top bread
The woman was granted bail after apologizing. She jumped bail and all efforts by the man who bailed to reach her were useless. She went into hiding accusing the police of forcing her to apologize.

1 Like

Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Kukutenla: 5:04pm On Apr 08
Orinechi:
And he or she maintains , he or she is not the owner of the property in court.

Lol. How will he do that? Are the neighbours not aware of the owner of the property? Is the documents of the land not showing the owner?

You better don't go and be forming over-wise in court so you don't end up where you didn't expect.

You first claim none of your property got burnt. Then when you are shown video evidence of your house burning, you claim you are not the owner of the house. You have added contempt of court to your perjury offence. Your days go long for jail
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Angelfrost(m): 5:07pm On Apr 08
melodyogonna:

I see.
And what did she say exactly that went outside objective review and into the realm of image damage? The articles I have read about the incident might have been oversimplifying the whole situation

There is no smoke without fire... She clearly said that the product is sugary and has killed or led to the death of people.

That is not review... That is defamation.

If all she did was objectively and respectfully review the product, there would have been neither fuss nor legal issues.

She is not the first to review a product online, and she won't be the last.

Even since her arrest and legal troubles, people have been reviewing products, services, etc online... Like Movies for example.
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Kukutenla: 5:07pm On Apr 08
aremubabs:

You just summarised the point I've been trying to pass across since

Nigerian Police can be so frivolous at times.

They are so fond of doing that even up to EFCC that they end up losing most cases they institute.

De-marketing? How's that a crime?!!

1 Like

Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by PressMyButton: 5:11pm On Apr 08
Who leaked this letter?, how did it get leaked?
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by aremubabs: 5:12pm On Apr 08
melodyogonna:

She said that? Lmao, what?! Interesting, the things I have seen are really oversimplification then

Yes, she did.

Her original post was in order. She wrote about buying a new tomato paste brand and found it too sugary. Then, she threw a question to her followers, wondering whether any of them had used the brand and whether they found it sugary too. In fact, she even wrote that perhaps she had brought a fake of the product or an expired one. It was great at this point.

But then, as the comments came in, she began to lose herself, and to take it personal. She began to lose her neutral position.

Then, someone claiming to be a sister of the owner of the tomato brand asked Chioma to stop spoiling her brother's business.

Chioma's foolish reply to this person was: "Tell your brother to stop killing Nigerians."

Perhaps, she didn't mean it that way. But that wasn't made with wisdom. A weighty accusation that many people will not take with arms folded.

1 Like

Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by aremubabs: 5:15pm On Apr 08
Kukutenla:

You just summarised the point I've been trying to pass across since

Nigerian Police can be so frivolous at times.

They are so fond of doing that even up to EFCC that they end up losing most cases they institute.

De-marketing? How's that a crime?!!

I am telling you.

They are frivolous most of the time. If I were on Twitter, they could even arrest us for describing them as frivolous.

They have too much time on their hands, honestly.
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Segzy19: 5:16pm On Apr 08
Let's how this turns out....

It may turn our positive or negative for the lady...
But then why can't Erisco forgive his kinswoman?
Na wa o! Dog eat dog
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Tyche(m): 5:18pm On Apr 08
A simple condom would have prevented us from having this rat thinking he is a lion on NL

FreeStuffsNG:

She should actually be investing in an amicable settlement with the Erisco man, Eric Umeofia, founder of Erisco Foods Limited, since she claimed that she did not have any ulterior motive, after all , we are all humans and we can err. Even the Bible counsel you to beg your adversary when you realise that you erred.

All she needs to do to understand how her adversary feels hurt is to place herself in the shoes of her adversary. It really hurts and she needs a measure of humility to come to that reality. It's easy to destroy but to build takes a lot of hardwork. The manner and route she used to give her feedback could have destroyed that man's business and sent him into bankruptcy and penury! She will not want such fate to befall her own business too nah.

The first time I read her comment on the brand, I knew she has gotten herself into avoidable trouble but never knew she'll let it degenerate to this level.

So sad. She should be given the opportunity to defend herself in court. I pray she gets out of the problem.

1 Like

Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by melodyogonna(m): 5:38pm On Apr 08
Angelfrost:

There is no smoke without fire... She clearly said that the product is sugary and has killed or led to the death of people.

That is not review... That is defamation.

If all she did was objectively and respectfully review the product, there would have been neither fuss nor legal issues.

She is not the first to review a product online, and she won't be the last.

Even since her arrest and legal troubles, people have been reviewing products, services, etc online... Like Movies for example.
Yeah some other user brought my attention to the "killing people" comment, and yes, that is not a review at this point.
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Idaytesj29(m): 5:39pm On Apr 08
FreeStuffsNG:

Make you and your Erisco kukuma kill the lady na.

What happens to inviting her to you production plant, give her a tour of the facility and production and show her no sugar is used in the process.

Let her even make advert for you and make post recommending the product.

As far as I am concerned, I am still boycotting ALL Erisco products cos of this.

We want the freedom of the west but we gag ourself and hope for it.

2 Likes

Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by ShenTeh(m): 5:40pm On Apr 08
Ijaya123:
Hmmm…This will only do more damage to the Erisco food brand.

Naturally, people will always side with the underdog and more so as this is perceived as bullying and unwarranted intimidation towards the lady, no body will go near that man’s product anytime soon.

Bytheway, what exactly does the man expect to get from the court? I think the man took the wrong advice.

This incidence actually led me to their page where I went and gave them a 1 star review on Google. Mumu business man operating as if he is still 40 years behind time.

1 Like

Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by melodyogonna(m): 5:40pm On Apr 08
aremubabs:

Yes, she did.

Her original post was in order. She wrote about buying a new tomato paste brand and found it too sugary. Then, she threw a question to her followers, wondering whether any of them had used the brand and whether they found it sugary too. In fact, she even wrote that perhaps she had brought a fake of the product or an expired one. It was great at this point.

But then, as the comments came in, she began to lose herself, and to take it personal. She began to lose her neutral position.

Then, someone claiming to be a sister of the owner of the tomato brand asked Chioma to stop spoiling her brother's business.

Chioma's foolish reply to this person was: "Tell your brother to stop killing Nigerians."

Perhaps, she didn't mean it that way. But that wasn't made with wisdom. A weighty accusation that many people will not take with arms folded.
Interesting to see Erisco has a case after all. This is the first time I'm seeing that she said the product was killing people, every article I've read on the issue just mentioned the part she was being objective.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Jaftee(m): 5:52pm On Apr 08
Nairaland don follow cashout on this one.. see sponsored comments kpa cheesy cheesy
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by anibirelawal(m): 6:01pm On Apr 08
johnog4sure:
wetin she do?

She made a review on Erisco Tomato Mix, she complained that the sugar content of the product is on high side, and she quoted that the product is killing people and said other unnecessary things she wasn't supposed to talk about. So the table turned against her.
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by MajorOvakporaye(f): 6:10pm On Apr 08
FreeStuffsNG:

Shut up!!!
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Ijaya123: 6:11pm On Apr 08
Timetravel88:

So you think an Igbo man who rose from the ashes of the Biafran war to build a multi billion naira manufacturing business in a country where businesses struggle to break even is not an underdog. If you don’t, think again

lol…such fairy tale. So the business man is your underdog and the lady is the stronger force here?

Talking about aftermath of the civil war, let me help you with some historical facts.

Maybe you should ask your political leaders if they still have a good sense of history, what they did with the 950,000 British pounds Awolowo was giving to them every month after taxing his own people so as to enable the Igbos to integrate back into the society after the civil war.
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by stagger: 6:11pm On Apr 08
This is a clear case of "you talk anyhow, you see anyhow."
Re: Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review by Orinechi: 6:42pm On Apr 08
Kukutenla:

Lol. How will he do that? Are the neighbours not aware of the owner of the property? Is the documents of the land not showing the owner?

You better don't go and be forming over-wise in court so you don't end up where you didn't expect.

You first claim none of your property got burnt. Then when you are shown video evidence of your house burning, you claim you are not the owner of the house. You have added contempt of court to your perjury offence. Your days go long for jail
What if the property doesn't have valid documents and the neighbours refuse to show up or testify against of the police as well?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Do You Cut Your Vegetables In The Market? / The Dangers Of Eating Canned Foods / How I Prepared Efo Riro With N500 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.