Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,668 members, 7,959,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 09:31 AM

Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) (42418 Views)

Appeal Court Upturns Lagos Court Decision On Number Plates / Do U Know The Abbreviations On Your Number Plates? / House Of Reps Wants New Number Plate Project Halted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by folahann(m): 10:35am On Nov 19, 2011
I was kinda confused when I saw this on a car in Ekiti yesterday
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by ayex0001: 10:58am On Nov 19, 2011
Get free downloading codes, how to generate recharge card nombas, how to hack and crack, how to be a real programmer in minutes, secrets and the legit ways of making online all on
www . naijatechzone . com
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by 2n2k(m): 2:01pm On Nov 19, 2011
klas:

Let us clear the misconception about the cost of the new number plate and juxaposition in the numbers arrangement

1 There is a difference between the cost of registering a vehicle and the cost of a number plate. Number plate cost is just a component of the cost of registration.

In the old dispensation, number plate cost N5,000 for regular but you still have to pay other charges like registration itself, registration booklet, proof of ownership, autoreg fees and a host of others which sometimes add up to between N10k and N25k.

In the new dispensation, the regular number plate cost jerked up from N5k to N15k. When other vehicle registration charges are added, the total registration cost for new vehicles comes up to between N32,300 and N40,950 announced by lagos government

However, for those changing from old to new number (ie previously registered vehicles), they only need to buy the new number plate at N10k and if the vehicle is due for renewal, there will be the normal cost of renewal in addition.

Note that it is the states boards of internal revenue acting as joint tax board that fix vehicle registration fees not the frsc

2 On the issue of juxaposition in arrangement of numbers on the plate i.e placing serial code last instead of first. This nominal change is done to avoid confusion during the transition period from sept 2011 and august 2012.

The effect of the change of number plates renders all previous registration numbers invalid effective from august 31 2012. simple. So, when you go for replacement, it is not your old number that will be given to you. Like the one Inspired posted above, KJA-193-AA. This is a new number for a new vehicle aparently bought less than two months ago but there must be an existing vehicle registered under the outgoing number as AA-193-KJA. If there is no change in arrangement of numbers, there will be two vehicles having the same number at least up to august 2012.

You explained it better than frsc sef. Good contribution klas.
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by chidexy(m): 5:27pm On Nov 19, 2011
saxywale:

Are you the FRSC boss as your name sounds like a shortened version of Chidoka, angry

No Sir, I am not and I do not work for FRSC. I only support the idea of registering licenses to people and not to cars and capturing their data for future reference should need be. Most carnage on our highways could be minimized if traffic offenders could be weeded out. Some may argue that the system could be updated using the old number plate, but that would mean waiting for longer than 5 years to effect, but if all are forced to procure the new license, then the objective could be achieved faster.

Same thing happened when we changed from Machine readable passports to biometric ECOWAS passport. We all complained and cried, but at the end of the day went for the new passport for those who must have it. I only hope that we wouldn't wait till almost a week to August 2012 before rushing to go for it.

It is a positive step by those who conceived the idea.
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by jdiadem: 5:43pm On Nov 19, 2011
The Senate ordered the suspension of this thing and yet lagos state insisted they're not affected and will continue issuing and implement compulsion.
this is so bad
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by chidexy(m): 5:57pm On Nov 19, 2011
j diadem:

The Senate ordered the suspension of this thing and yet lagos state insisted they're not affected and will continue issuing and implement compulsion.
this is so bad

The Senate doesn't have the powers to "order" FRSC to stop issuing new licenses. It's the exclusive powers of the Executive arm of the government
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by sdbaba: 7:07pm On Nov 19, 2011
chidexy:

The Senate doesn't have the powers to "order" FRSC to stop issuing new licenses. It's the exclusive powers of the Executive arm of the government

Says who? Of course they do so dont bammboozle us with crap here. As per the explanations given by Klas, I still maintain that they could have implemented this same process with the old number plates. In the absence of doing that then they should issue them free to those of us that have the current one. I just numbered a car six months ago, so to now tell me I have to get another number plate in less than six months- is that not stupid and sound like exploitation to you?

We must stand up and reject this stupid dum arse idea as it's an evil wind that will not blow the common man any good.
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by Arn96: 8:45pm On Nov 19, 2011
is it a money making venture to rip the masses kiss shocked?
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by klas(m): 9:13pm On Nov 19, 2011
@ sdbaba, Strictly by law, national assembly should not give direct executive order to a government agency. Such order can be ignored without any repercussion. It is their duty to make laws not to implement or enforce such - those are duties of the executive and judiciary respectively.

Where an issue does not require making a new law to implement, what the legislature can do and should do is to pass a resolution to officially state their misgivings about that issue. But note that resolutions unlike bills passed into laws are not binding on the executive to implement.

By the way, the house of reps only 'suspended' the implementation for four weeks for its committee to 'investigate' and report back to it. In all probability, the committee will report it is now satisfied with the process.

Bear in mind that the President has already publicly launched this project since September 2 2011 and paid for his licence at that ceremony in which he publicly acknowledged that he (as the vice president then) asked frsc to introduce the new scheme. Subsequent terrorist actions accentuated the need. In this clime, national assembly will not easily repudiate the president's action. Not on this type of issue anyway
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by Nobody: 4:04am On Nov 20, 2011
Naija Police will make big money extorting motorists who don't have the new plates
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by nex(m): 12:06pm On Nov 20, 2011
This is crap! FRSC should stop wasting billions of dollars on drawings. IF they want us to draw Nigerian map, we will help them draw it on our regular number plates.
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by gbenga007(m): 4:00pm On Nov 20, 2011
nex:

This is crap! FRSC should stop wasting billions of dollars on drawings. IF they want us to draw Nigerian map, we will help them draw it on our regular number plates.

I would honestly have said the above quoted IF i aint an insider. For the purpose of knowledge, there is an organ called JTB, joint tax board. This board fixes the price for both NDL and the Plate No. Frsc only produces, and give at the cost price to the other parties involved in the issuance, that is BIR and VIO. All these would then sit down and fix 'appropriate' price in a bid to benefit the STATE govt. Remember, both aforementioned bodies work for states and not FG. The state govts wudnt have accepted init if it wudnt favour them. Even in the face of suspension, lagos and the other states are carrying on.

I share this not because i am in any position greater than an ordinary employee but because nairaland has always given me answers to some probbing questions too.

We can only hope the primary purpose intended for this new development is actualized. We'll get there ONE day!
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by gbenga007(m): 4:12pm On Nov 20, 2011
tosine25:

Hello,
Can any one put me 2ru on how I can get genuie custom paper f☺® my Jeep ‎​​with the cost ‎​​​@̤̥̣̈̊̇п̲̣̣̥d̶̲̥̅̊ time period.
Thks

I dont work for custom though but 4 one of the sister agencies. I cant promise u what we dont do but i can give u a referral. Drop ur email IF u can.
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by godman01(m): 12:06am On Nov 21, 2011
But for ordinary number plate(plate) 45k is just too much. How much we buy the car sef?
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by walcolm(m): 7:09am On Nov 21, 2011
chidexy:

No Sir, I am not and I do not work for FRSC. I only support the idea of registering licenses to people and not to cars and capturing their data for future reference should need be. Most carnage on our highways could be minimized if traffic offenders could be weeded out. Some may argue that the system could be updated using the old number plate, but that would mean waiting for longer than 5 years to effect, but if all are forced to procure the new license, then the objective could be achieved faster.

Same thing happened when we changed from [s]Machine readable passports to biometric ECOWAS passport[/s]. We all complained and cried, but at the end of the day went for the new passport for those who must have it. I only hope that we wouldn't wait till almost a week to August 2012 before rushing to go for it.

It is a positive step by those who conceived the idea.

can you pls educate us on how the process will take 5yrs to effect using the old number system?

vehicle licenses are renewed annually and that can be used to update the database to attach a number plate to an individual rather than vehicle. i dont see how anyone can think swapping the last 3 alphabets with the first 2 alphabets on the number plate is a sensible and laudable event

pls, the international passport upgrade is not an analogy to this plate number scenario and just so you know, we didnt change from machine readable passport, we changed TO MACHINE READABLE passports to embed biometric information
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by Omalives: 9:42pm On Nov 21, 2011
Please can someone educate me more if changing to the New plate with still retain my old number on the new plate?
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by gbenga007(m): 2:26am On Nov 22, 2011
Omalives:

Please can someone educate me more if changing to the New plate with still retain my old number on the new plate?

yes, but partially inverted. Say, your old number is AA 555 KSF, the new will read KSF 555 AA.
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by initiate: 10:10am On Nov 22, 2011
if the number plate is tagged to your drivers license, what if you sell the car? would the tag be transfered?
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by gbenga007(m): 10:15am On Nov 22, 2011
initiate:

if the number plate is tagged to your drivers license, what if you sell the car? would the tag be transfered?

u remove your plate number. It has become yours forever.
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by ericana: 10:21am On Nov 22, 2011
Can someone tell me where the governments are heading to by changing the number plates ? This is more or less like a scam to me. May God help.
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by agitator: 12:28pm On Nov 22, 2011
I always laugh when some smart a r se guys calling our leaders looters clueless, retardeen, and all sorts of names while we are the dumb and docile nigerians.

once overheard a conversation between the supervisor (euivalent of commissioner at state level and minister at federal level0 of one local government arm and the chairman.

Supervisor: Chairman sir, i have a plan to generate revenue

Chairman: Ok lets see your plan.

after supervisor explained the plan

Chairman: I don't think that will work. It will only create problems for my government.

Supervisor: Sir, I am assuring you it will work, without any problems.

Chairman: I still have my doubts. abi you want the people to cry for my removal?

Supervisor: Chairman sir, it will not come to that level. I have thought out the whole plan. The people will only make noise. They cant take action.
In fact those who pay late will be fined generating additional revenue. But you have to assure me that i will remain the head of this department as long as you are the chairman. You know that everybody was avoiding this department because no revenue was coming in.

Chairman: If you really can do this, you have my word that as long as I remain chairman nobody will replace you.

Supervisor: OK, thanks sir.

within three months the supervisor became the envy of other supervisors. Nobody was able to successfully protest against the double levy imposed since that state was already collecting same.

Are these the people you call clueless, retardeen, etc? grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by webmaster3: 3:20pm On Nov 22, 2011
Hmmm, this simply means Cars should not be engraved with numbers anymore since the plate number is not attached to the car. Thief go plenty oooo, wonder if they thought of that
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by Ikenna351(m): 6:52pm On Nov 22, 2011
This Chidexy guy, what is your problem? Who told you that the only way to create a database for all vehicles and drivers is by changing the plate numbers and drivers licence? Who told you that transfer of plate number from one vehicle to another has not been in existence in Nigeria before now? Stop being an apologist if you have not done your home work well.

Those of us here in Abuja know that we have what we call "Car Coder", compelled on us  here recently to attach on plate numbers, for the same purpose of having a database of all Vehicles in Abuja, and maybe Nigeria as well. Are they now telling us that it was just a lie? After collecting 3k from every motorist in Abuja for it? If that car coder serves that purpose, then what is the crap about the new plate?
Even if they initially deceived us with the car coder, why wont they compell us to renew our vehicle licences within 3 or 4 months and use the info they gather at Licencing offices to create the database, including the drivers licence?

All the reasons Chidoka has given for the need for the new plate to be enforced has been in existence. If they had failed to have or create a database with the old plate and drivers licence, thats their business. The masses shoudnt suffer their incompetency. If they intend to use the new plate and driver's licence for security purposes (which is not their business, though), they should then ask people to return the old plates and take the new plates for free, and maintain the old price(5k) for the new vehicle registrations. After all, its the primary function of govt is to provide security for its people and not the other way round. That they want to update their system or improve on their work, does not mean Nigerians will be sent to their early graves to achieve that?

Ikenna.
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by makonko(m): 8:42pm On Nov 22, 2011
Rat sh**t!
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by blackky100(m): 1:13pm On Nov 23, 2011
The government is just confused. This country need serous help. FRSC has turn to profit making organisation. FRSC PLC. Better get listed in Stock market.
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by Omalives: 11:37am On Nov 24, 2011
please i need to know if our old number will still be retained on the new plate?

please somebody advice me?
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by fm7070: 2:07pm On Nov 24, 2011
same of the same.
this people just want to make money for themselves and for government.
they should have thought of something that can last 50years before changing the other one in the first place.
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by UncleGb: 5:20pm On Nov 24, 2011
What are those senators and reps doing in the house of assembly self. After making noise that they should hold the new plates deployment.What is the next thing they are doing? Anyway they have their own share in the revenue generation self. They are after their pocket not the walfare of the people that voted them into power. I believe is a thing thing can stop ,reverse or peg the amount to something very minimal for an average nigerian.
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by lightest(m): 10:51am On Nov 25, 2011
one day will be one day when they will understand that there is difference in revolution and revolt. they are just tossing us like a pawn on a chess board. what a shame to us all. But come to think of it can't we revolt this?
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by niyooo(m): 2:34pm On Nov 26, 2011
Please how do I go about getting the new license plate? I stay in Lagos. @ Gbenga007, you seem to know a lot about this stuff. Kindly advise. Thanks.
@ Inspired, how and where did you get yours?
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by dagboss(m): 9:32am On Nov 28, 2011
I got mine for N34000 just last Friday, but because i was in haste, instead of Ikeja KJA i was given AGL guess what ? It is Ajegunle (AJ City) number  grin grin grin cheesy anyways no long thing na Lagos number. In case you want one (not necessarily Ajegunle) i can link you to the guy in Ikeja Licensing office. You may hit me on 08038472375 finis
Re: Lagos New Number Plates Now Available (Pictures) by makonko(m): 3:10pm On Nov 28, 2011
@dagboss, does it include vehicle license and other documents or is the only plate number that costs you 34k?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Coscharis Debuts The All New BMW 7 Series In Nigeria (PHOTOS) / Serial Car Scratcher Caught On Camera (photos, Video) / The Remodelled N30M 2020 BMW 7-Series Car - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.