Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab (1530 Views)

Unilag Gate Shut Down By Students Over Infestation Of Bedbugs.*pics / Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months / Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by aloyemeka4: 1:00am On Nov 18, 2011
[size=14pt]Schools shut down in Osun over hijab[/size]

Written by Adewale Ajayi, Osogbo
Thursday, 17 November 2011

THE struggle over the usage of hijab (veil for Muslim ladies) in public schools has led to the closure of public schools in Iwo Local Government Area of Osun State.

The quest to implement the usage of hijab created crisis in the town, as some Muslim groups insisted that all Muslim ladies should be allowed to use hijab, irrespective of the school they were attending.

The problem started last year, when a female student of Methodist Grammar School, Iwo, wore hijab to school.

The student was said to have been beaten by her teacher, while she, in turn, mobilised her brothers to waylay the teacher and beat her.

Muslim Fellowship Students were said to have championed the demand for female Muslim students to use hijab.

The agitation for the use of the hijab got to a climax on Monday, when a female student of Baptist High School, Iwo, was arrested by the police on the orders of the school authorities for wearing hijab to school.

The action of the school authorities was said to have angered Muslim organisations in the town, who waded into the matter and demanded the release of the student.

This is just as they mobilised students in the town, on Tuesday, to insist on allowing Muslim girls to use hijab, irrespective of the school they attended.

The protest was said to have received the support of the leader of Jamat Tahawum, known as Alfa Dawud, who led the students on a protest which took them from one school to the other, starting from Local Authority Grammar School to Saint Anthony Grammar School; Methodist Grammar School and Iwo Grammar School.

The protest forced the school authorities to close down the schools, while the students were sent home.

Reacting to the development, through a statement signed by the state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Sunday Akere, the state government said it decided to close down all the public schools in the council to prevent a breakdown of law and order.

The statement said the state was noted for peace and the state government would not allow any religious bigot to turn it into a place of religious intolerance.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/31392-schools-shut-down-in-osun-over-hijab
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by aloyemeka4: 1:03am On Nov 18, 2011
Osun is approximately 4% muslim and 90% Christian, so why should the minority muslims impose hijab on us?. If those girls wants to wear hijab to school, they can enroll in Islamic schools.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Jenifa1: 1:33am On Nov 18, 2011

The problem started last year, when a female student of Methodist Grammar School, Iwo, wore hijab to school.

This thread is senseless.
Iwo is a muslim town

The larger Osun might be 4% (which I doubt) but Iwo is VERY muslim.

The school is called "methodist grammer school" so I can understand where the noise is coming from. There is most likely a high population of muslims at that school and the tension must have been strong. But still. I think enough is enough. Naija is not under colonialism anymore.we have denied muslims formal education for the longest time. We see the results today in the form of poverty and "boko haram" Let's not continue the colonizer's legacy of granting education only to natives who convert to christianity. That's why muslims associate education with anti-islam.
we don't want boko haram in the south. So let the muslims get their education in peace.

I at
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by LadyT(f): 1:46am On Nov 18, 2011
Please please Oh dont start any rubbish about muslims being denied education! Remember it was their fellow muslim brothers in power for donkeys of years!

These people are senseless and as usual there is always one person making lame excuses for inexcusable behaviour
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by aloyemeka4: 1:54am On Nov 18, 2011
LadyT:

Please please Oh dont start any rubbish about muslims being denied education!  Remember it was their fellow muslim brothers in power for donkeys of years!

These people are senseless and as usual there is always one person making lame excuses for inexcusable behaviour

Don't mind her.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by aloyemeka4: 1:57am On Nov 18, 2011
Jenifa_:

This thread is senseless.
Iwo is a muslim town

The larger Osun might be 4% (which I doubt) but Iwo is VERY muslim.

The school is called "methodist grammer school" so I can understand where the noise is coming from. There is most likely a high population of muslims at that school and the tension must have been strong. But still. I think enough is enough. Naija is not under colonialism anymore.we have denied muslims formal education for the longest time. We see the results today in the form of poverty and "boko haram" Let's not continue the colonizer's legacy of granting education only to natives who convert to christianity. That's why muslims associate education with anti-islam.
we don't want boko haram in the south. So let the muslims get their education in peace.

I at

Yes it is called Methodist grammar school because it was built by METHODIST MISSIONARIES. So Christian nepotism is to be blamed for the backwardness of Yoruba muslims against Yoruba Christians ?.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Jenifa1: 2:01am On Nov 18, 2011
aloy@emeka:

Yes it is called Methodist grammar school because it was built by METHODIST MISSIONARIES. So Christian nepotism is to be blamed for the backwardness of Yoruba muslims against Yoruba Christians ?.

So are all students at the school METHODIST?
what would those METHODIST missionaries have to say today about our PENTECOSTAL churches?

stop bringing "divide and conquer" colonialist legacies to 2011.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by aloyemeka4: 2:07am On Nov 18, 2011
Jenifa_:

what would those METHODIST missionaries have to say today about our PENTECOSTAL churches?

The Methodists built the school for Nigerian children irrespective of their religious background. The Catholic missionaries built more schools in Nigeria followed by the Anglicans, presbyterians, methodists, etc. All were built for a good cause and not for educating only Methodists. In the same vein, they built hospitals and many of them are still in existence today. Should those hospitals be treating only Christian methodists?. What is the source of your frustration here because I can't see it for real?. Only you grew up in Chad, you should've been aware that there are many missionary establishments in Nigeria that are serving the public. Are you suggesting we rename the Methodist school so that Iwo muslims will feel better?. Why are they even making noise over something they didn't contribute a penny towards its actualization?.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Jenifa1: 2:32am On Nov 18, 2011
aloy@emeka:
Are you suggesting we rename the Methodist school so that Iwo muslims will feel better?. Why are they even making noise over something they didn't contribute a penny towards its actualization?.

I'm suggesting that people like you should respect rights of muslims irrespective of the "name" of schools they attend. The fact that it's called "methodist grammer school" doesn't mean muslims can't wear their hijab to it. You might as well ban catholics from wearing their rosaries to school. or even ban them from attending. The school is public not christian.
the name is just part of history which obviously changes dramatically over time and is far removed from present realities

Lots of schools in the US with christian names and histories but guess what, the bible isn't even allowed in school anymore today. but they still keep the name.
this can't happen in Nigeria of course (we are a very religious people) and I hope it doesn't lol
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by manmustwac(m): 2:34am On Nov 18, 2011
The Muslims should be allowed to to be study in the Methodist Schools. School is a place for learning and students shouldn't be barred from going to school because of religion. Also this is just another example of how religion divides people.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by aloyemeka4: 2:45am On Nov 18, 2011
Jenifa_:

I'm suggesting that people like you should respect rights of muslims irrespective of the "name" of schools they attend. The fact that it's called "methodist grammer school" doesn't mean muslims can't wear their hijab to it. You might as well ban catholics from wearing their rosaries to school. or even ban them from attending. The school is public not christian.
the name is just part of history which obviously changes dramatically over time and is far removed from present realities

Lots of schools in the US with christian names and histories but guess what, the bible isn't even allowed in school anymore today. but they still keep the name.
this can't happen in Nigeria of course (we are a very religious people) and I hope it doesn't lol

Didn't I ask you a question about Christians being allowed to wear white veil to school?. So public schools should be riddled with religious bigots who intends to showcase the better part of their religion?. My stance is banning all religious attire whether it Cherubium and Seraphim or muslim or Guru Maharaji uniform. If students show up in school wearing hijabs, Guru maharaji gowns, olumba olumba vests, etc, how will the school look?. Instead of you to condemn the noble teacher who got mugged by Islamists whose relative she prevented from wearing hijab, you are here promoting religious hatred. Very soon, Boko Haram faithfuls will wear their uniform to school too and ban all muslims and Christians from the class. I wonder what you will say then.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Jenifa1: 3:06am On Nov 18, 2011
aloy@emeka:

Didn't I ask you a question about Christians being allowed to wear white veil to school?.

I don't get what you mean.
I don't know any christian sect whose religious law demand that they wear veils to cover their head in public. except nuns who are much older.
but catholic students sometimes wear that rosary thing around their necks. that is allowed!

aloy@emeka:

My stance is banning all religious attire whether it Cherubium and Seraphim or muslim or Guru Maharaji uniform. If students show up in school wearing hijabs, Guru maharaji gowns, olumba olumba vests, etc, how will the school look?.

See how your ignorance is showing on full display.
how can you compare hijab to celestial church uniform.
hijab is not a "uniform" like a school or church uniform you take off when you get home from school or church.
Hijab is for everyday, all day as long as you are in public (for those that observe it).

and you can always wear your hijab over your uniform. or use a color that match the uniform. girls did that at my secondary school in lagos. and look presentable. some just wore scarfs rather than hijab. And many more muslims don't observe the hijab at all. It depends on how conservative they are with their practices.

Similar to christians with Deeper life not using relaxer, jewelry etc. It's a way of life really. not just religion per se.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 3:46am On Nov 18, 2011
Jenifa_:

mmm
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by mukina2: 8:48am On Nov 18, 2011

(1)

Advice Me On Course For Msc / 7 Career Benefits And Reasons To Study Russian Language / What Do You Have To Say About This PIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.