Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance (18311 Views)

We Haven’t Approved New Electricity Tariff – NERC / Lawmaker, Tijjani Abdulkadir Jobe Beaten By Kano Youths Over Non-Performance / NERC Orders Suspension Of Electricity Tariff Hike For 14 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Babathanks(m): 1:21pm On Apr 15
We only get light for 3-5hrs in a day. Sometimes we don't even have at all for 48hrs here in my area in Abuja . I'm so surprised that the Abuja electricity distribution company put us as band B. All this band is a scam. According to my calculation we are not supposed to be in any band self 😂

3 Likes

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by BigDawsNet: 1:23pm On Apr 15
Babathanks:
We only get light for 3-5hrs in a day. Sometimes we don't even have at all for 48hrs here in my area in Abuja . I'm so surprised that the Abuja electricity distribution company put us as band B. All this band is a scam. According to my calculation we are not supposed to be in any band self 😂

5hrs a day? Wow you must be living close to a minister

1 Like

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by baralatie(m): 1:24pm On Apr 15
meum:
Discos: Hello NERC, we can’t hear you. The network is not so good. Can you hear us? Hello! Hello!

What will happen to the units already bought at N225 per unit after the so called downgrade? Will there be an upgrade?
Good question
On wether there will be refund

1 Like

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by ukaegbuikedia: 1:25pm On Apr 15
This is one of the consequences of putting square peg into round holes.

1 Like

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Cantonese: 1:29pm On Apr 15
Why did they not put that was needed in place before the increase?

No plan, nothing. Just as one baba shouted “subsidy is gone”. The next day wahala started until today.

1 Like

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Truvelisback(m): 1:31pm On Apr 15
Bmus41:
Do people really enjoy over 20 hours electricity in this country ?
20 ke? Even 10hrs no sure you dey talk 20hrs. We are just receiving epileptic power supply.

2 Likes

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by tollyboy5(m): 1:36pm On Apr 15
jmoore:
Trial and error voodoo regulation.
Trial and error CBN Governor has started doing wonders
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by ObiPandora: 1:40pm On Apr 15
Yes it is the right time
Failure to perform to standard means the disco will lose that band A privileges to the area leading to loss of revenue so the increase in charges is an incentive Disco won't want to lose but I don't expect you to understand that out of hate for Tinubu.

ambale:
All of these government policies is just not gelling

Now you've increased tarriff, all bands don dey increased by the discos, na now you wan come dey make them do their work

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Willie2015: 1:50pm On Apr 15
Babathanks:

NERC do not have a system to ...
monitor supply of light...
Or determine who falls in Band A or B...etc
My area in Benue state was placed on Band A...
on the first day...
As at today.. we dey on another band...
Dont be surprised...we go dey diff band next month...

1 Like

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by CountinBlessins(m): 1:56pm On Apr 15
Daily I smile for a new Nigeria . This Tinubu that robbed my Peter obi is making me smile.

Na WA o. Could a ene Nigeria actually materialize?
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by captainbangz: 1:56pm On Apr 15
Do the generating companies have the capacity to generate more power below 4GW won't serve as they think.

1 Like

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Callosobruchus: 1:57pm On Apr 15
Well,all I know is that I heard of an increment in electricity tariff,the haters of Nigeria then made it seem as if the increment was across board until I got to know that it was only for band A customers,I'm usually charged an estimated average of N23k per month, on Saturday oga NEPA brought NEPA bill and gave it to me and the energy charged was N8007 with a refund of N75k as overcharging rate which reflected in my outstanding.I told the man to explain the drastic reduction in tariff and he told me that I've been downgraded to band C.So before now they're trying to say I was in band A or what?How many times a day I di take see light use?Dem deliberately no gree give us meter up till now for we area.All I can say is that the increment of electricity tariff I heard became a reduction for me.
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Diligence: 2:02pm On Apr 15
APC & All round policy somersault...Na so we go dey dey?

From Floating to fixing & controlling & threatening...
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by COMPAQ(m): 2:05pm On Apr 15
meum:
Discos: Hello NERC, we can’t hear you. The network is not so good. Can you hear us? Hello! Hello!

What will happen to the units already bought at N225 per unit after the so called downgrade? Will there be an upgrade?

I had the same situation and they credited the refund against my account after dropping me to Band B. So I bought N5k and got like 180 units because of the refund.

But what happens if I buy like N100k unit while on Band B? And then they improve the power and put us back on Band A. This flip flop between band A and B might harm the DISCO. I'll always just buy unit at the times in Band B.

1 Like

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by meum: 2:12pm On Apr 15
COMPAQ:

I had the same situation and they credited the refund against my account after dropping me to Band B. So I bought N5k and got like 180 units because of the refund.

But what happens if I buy like N100k unit while on Band B? And then they improve the power and put us back on Band A. This flip flop between band A and B might harm the DISCO. I'll always just buy unit at the times in Band B.
If you were refunded that’s great. It shows they are trying very hard to be transparent with the downgrade. Just follow them in their flip flop as you are left with no choice. No be your light😁
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by emorse(m): 2:13pm On Apr 15
Macphenson:
This Band A feeder is the greatest scam ever in this country.
All I know is that we need thinkers as part of government. Not all these sycophants and "yes men" that we presently have.

Emman08:
They better downgrade me too. Because they're claiming to supply 16-19 hours for Band B customers. We barely get up to 5 hours a day. That's if at all

If they really need to create and work with different bands, then I think the best thing to do would be to charge as per consumption rather than location.

What I mean is that band E would be people that consume say 50KWH and below monthly, band D could be 51KWH - 100KWH, Band C could be 101KWH - 150KWH an on, and on (I believe you get the point)

The next question would be implementation. That shouldn't be difficult. Your first 50KWH would be charged at band E rate, then the next 50KWH at band D rate and on and on. That way, high consumers can pay incremental rates regardless of their location. Because as it stands, discos are deliberately channeling power to band A feeders at the detriment of other bands. Power wey neva reach before.

If they mandeate prepaid meters, outlaw estimated billing and implement this simple idea above, I bet you power will improve in a matter of months. Forget all that story of say they're owing something trillion for gas. You dey owe money and you still dey declare profit. How does that work

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Emman08: 2:21pm On Apr 15
They better downgrade me too. Because they're claiming to supply 16-19 hours for Band B customers. We barely get up to 5 hours a day. That's if at all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by jeromestarks: 2:25pm On Apr 15
Macphenson:
What about $1 will be equal to 1naira?

1 Like

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Trojan8(m): 2:37pm On Apr 15
ecolime:
This is nonsense

Why 7 days? Why not 48 hours?

This means If you do not have light for 6 days straight but have 20 hours light on the 7th day with this repeated every other week, you will still be classed as Band A.

Try to read and understand na

How does this mean same thing with your message

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has ordered all distribution companies (DisCos) to automatically downgrade any Band A feeder that does not enjoy the minimum requirement of 20 hours per day power supply for seven consecutive days.

1 Like

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by maxiuc(m): 2:38pm On Apr 15
grin

And we wey be band D no dey see lights at all since this month of April we never see 4hours of light we stay for 2days no light then they 3rd day they bring it highest 1hr dem take am you no go see am again ......

Area don dey wait for them to come collect NEPA bill dem go see shege

1 Like

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by noobody(m): 2:39pm On Apr 15
Confused elements,

Why don't you get your affairs in order for 6 months

Test run the 20 hours thing if you really can cope before you increase tarrif

The clueless minister yarning rubbish the other day,sounded like the FG wants to punish Nigerians for wasting energy by increasing the tarrif,

If hands at nerc and ministry of power are incompetent,let them be replaced,it's not hard na

1 Like

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by aywagze(m): 2:39pm On Apr 15
They all know those discos are incompetent organisations reeking of corruptions. They are not up to the task like the way they are. Nigerians have been in darkness from day one and nothing has changed ..🤔
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Twoclans(f): 2:39pm On Apr 15
All this talk about band A users,abeg can someone confirm if the users in band C and others do not deserve good service also.As in are they not Nigerians .

Some Nigerians are profiled as band B but do not enjoy 3 hours light in a day,so what are we talking about.

2 Likes

Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by lesbiconverter: 2:53pm On Apr 15
SWATMan:
You don't put the cart before the horse. This present govt. functionaries are not only empty but rudderless. Why did they not carry out a thourough check to ascertain if this clueless minister knew the depth of the river he was about to cross. When you put triangular peg in a round hole, this is what you get.
Shame on our leaders.
Imagine Keyamo being the aviation minister 😂
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Everlastingson: 2:53pm On Apr 15
adenigga:

Source: https://leadership.ng/New-Band-A-Tariff-NERC-Orders-Automatic-Downgrade-After-7-Days-Non-performance

I've never seen a country whose leaders are so shameless, foolish, evil, wicked and satanic as Nigeria's. Steady power supply that small countries all over the world enjoy is a mystery and foreign to Nigeria. All because of Fulani clinging to power at all cost.
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by BarrElChapo(m): 3:14pm On Apr 15
Macphenson:
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by iswallker(m): 3:16pm On Apr 15
Kelklein:
That means everyone of them on that band would have to be downgraded because even as we speak, nobody get light as I heard the Grid had collapsed.

If this thing affects everybody, it means that policy was done in error and ought to be reversed as soon as possible. Commonsense demands that.

My suggestion is, only industrial areas or complex should be placed on band A and be fed as such, while residential areas should start from B and above. The current rate doesn't make any sense at all and should be reduced..

Another thing I observed is, the DisCos placing every Hotels and Hospitality Centre in the country on BandA and making them pay premium regardless of their location, just because they are business centres.. this is exploitation taking tòo far and ought not to be..

Let the Hotel People breathe abeg!!

How do they do that ?

I thought the band you are depends on the feeder you are connected to...or a disco can place you on band A regardless of your location...
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Kelklein(m): 3:23pm On Apr 15
iswallker:

How do they do that ?

I thought the band you are depends on the feeder you are connected to...or a disco can place you on band A regardless of your location...

Most are on estimated billing.. Band A Premium estimated billing..

Ask any Hotelier you know around..

DisCos exploit them alot..
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by vacanci: 3:25pm On Apr 15
so out of seven days if they are able to meet only one day of 20hrs supply and the remaining 6 days are like 5, 7 or 10 hrs, it means that its not consecutive anymore and they remain on band A.

See extortion na
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Emman08: 3:36pm On Apr 15
emorse:

All I know is that we need thinkers as part of government. Not all these sycophants and "yes men" that we presently have.

If they really need to create and work with different bands, then I think the best thing to do would be to charge as per consumption rather than location.

What I mean is that band E would be people that consume say 50KWH and below monthly, band D could be 51KWH - 100KWH, Band C could be 101KWH - 150KWH an on, and on (I believe you get the point)

The next question would be implementation. That shouldn't be difficult. Your first 50KWH would be charged at band E rate, then the next 50KWH at band D rate and on and on. That way, high consumers can pay incremental rates regardless of their location. Because as it stands, discos are deliberately channeling power to band A feeders at the detriment of other bands. Power wey neva reach before.

If they mandeate prepaid meters, outlaw estimated billing and implement this simple idea above, I bet you power will improve in a matter of months. Forget all that story of say they're owing something trillion for gas. You dey owe money and you still dey declare profit. How does that work

Spot on! You've made some intelligent points here E be like say you be energy professor. I'm not familiar with tariffs and billing in the power sector but I couldn't agree more with all you've said.

I am in the water sector and what we advise is for tariffs to be "fair and transparent". Also, they should be based on consumption. I mean why should I be paying the same tariff as a say a commercial or industrial consumer just because we're in the same city or town? Those who consume more should pay more in incremental bands. They are robbing lower band customers to service the higher band customers because.. more money.

But just like you've said, we have "yes men" who just sing the praises of government and no one tells them the truth. Also, this administration is on a massive "revenue drive" so every policy will defy common sense.

Finally when Nigerian government has a hand in service delivery just know it will be shite. Systemic corruption and unnecessary external influence will ensure.. The only change we've seen between NEPA and discos today is just the name.
Re: New Band A Tariff: NERC Orders Automatic Downgrade After 7 Days Non-Performance by Meteng: 3:50pm On Apr 15
PHED is the most useless of all the DISCOS

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari To Visit Niger Delta This Week.. / Forgery: FG Dumps Fresh Police Probe Indicting Saraki, Deputy / Ignore Fake Results On Anambra Primary Election - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.