Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS (25865 Views)

Lagos Govt Commences Registered Vehicles Renewal Proof Of Ownership Certificate / Buhari Has Given 286 Foreigners Certificates Of Citizenship-photo / Federal Government Inaugurates Board Of Citizenship And Leadership Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by bdon123(m): 7:11pm On Apr 21
WizardOfNG:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/687693-passport-renewal-proof-of-citizenship-mandatory-nis.html
Tank God i do 10 years passport...this mad men for make renewal difficult.this should ideally only apply to 1st time passport
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Shikena(m): 7:15pm On Apr 21
Problems require intelligent solutions. Weave control requirements around it.

Many tried to change their local government and state of origin to Lagos, Rivers, Bayelsa etc to get state scholarship in those days but failed due to rigid requirements. If it needs to be addressed it will get addressed.

Iamzik:

They will still pay your local government 2k and get the proof....then what?
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Pedro334(m): 7:31pm On Apr 21
Band A confusions in everything , all the above mentioned documents are already on the applicant data nah, because it is for renewal not new issuance , haba ,

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by WizardOfNG: 7:37pm On Apr 21
APOPTOSIS:
What about AFRICAN AMERICANS & WHITES who would wish to naturalize in Nigeria?
I have many Friends who are willing to take up the Nigerian passport soon. What will be their fate?
Are dey gonna be asked to choose an LGA of dia choice
What about those Foreign contractors who succeeded in securing citizenship without having to attach it to any LGA..? Please shed more light

Naturalization has rules. Your AA and white friends can't just wake and say they want to naturalize and become Nigerians. They have to meet conditions that allows for that.

With foreign contractors securing citizens illegally, it is obvious these new measures are targeted at preventing them also from getting away with what they should not. I.e get a Nigerian Passport they are not entitled to.

2 Likes

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by onyxo76(m): 7:39pm On Apr 21
We just like to complicate matters in this country, I'm almost certain that the minister doesn't have a document from his local government proving that he is an indigene.
Or what criteria will be used for that purpose, is it that you were born there or lived or schooled there?
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by WizardOfNG: 7:41pm On Apr 21
bdon123:

Tank God i do 10 years passport...this mad men for make renewal difficult.this should ideally only apply to 1st time passport

You're a Nigerian so you have nothing to worry about. Meeting inconvenient conditions, even though you're a bonafide Nigerians, also means you'd be helping to help Nigeria become safer.

2 Likes

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by WizardOfNG: 7:48pm On Apr 21
APOPTOSIS:

Honestly
That's the reason I asked my question up there.
Are they saying Foreigners can't naturalize in Nigeria or what?

Bro, you're flogging a dead horse. If they have legally naturalised it is obvious cognisance will be taken of this so that they are exempt from rules rigidly applied to Nigerians born and bred in our nation. That's how it works universally.

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by moneyissweet(m): 7:57pm On Apr 21
Another avenue to steal from people….idiots
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by CheapHomes1: 7:58pm On Apr 21
WizardOfNG:

Can that argument be applied to the case of Nigeria where we should really be in a security State of emergency, because of serious terrorist threats everywhere, with so many non-Nigerians allowed to infiltrate our country to become enemies-within?

Nothing like too much ID for our unique and very dangerous situation that needs serious overhaul. Many non-Nigerians who mean Nigerians harm are in Nigeria and holding Nigerian passports.

We can now only contain those but very serious scrutiny of new passport to be issued is in order and the way to go.

It will stop more evil beings gaining Nigerian citizenship but I am personally more worried about those already here and criminally active or lying low as 'sleeper cells'.

how is there nothing like too much ID? what is our unique and very dangerous situation that needs serious overhaul? what is this serious overhaul? which evil beings are gaining Nigerian citizenship?
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Tonididdyx: 7:59pm On Apr 21
Birth certificate is N500
Local government ginikon N5K
Nin free

.... The country has no solid database until recently thanks to NIN but then "are the details your true details? "
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Quebec91(m): 7:59pm On Apr 21
These polithiefians are senseless
AllenSpencer:
The expired passport itself should be a proof for renewals.
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Tonididdyx: 8:00pm On Apr 21
WizardOfNG:

Bro, you're flogging a dead horse. If they have legally naturalised it is obvious cognisance will be taken of this so that they are exempt from rules rigidly applied to Nigerians born and bred in our nation. That's how it works universally.

Rules?
Name some rules that are only limited to Nigerians?
Foreigners are treated better in this country!
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Boldideas: 8:00pm On Apr 21
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by CheapHomes1: 8:01pm On Apr 21
Shikena:
I love the local government requirement. Every single Nigerian came from a family in a specific local government. That is the person's homeland within motherland Nigeria. That homeland is not no man's land.

Sometimes we just have to choose between security and convenience. States can make the processing easier through the ministry of local government affairs so that some situations won't require traveling to the specific local government.

Otherwise, just go home this once and reconnect with your root. It's good for the soul and spirit grin

what then is the essence of NIN and BVN?
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by CheapHomes1: 8:04pm On Apr 21
Mindlog:

If non-citizens already have Nigerian passports, what stops them getting a local government certificate of indigeneship?

bros, sometimes its like some people dont think. local government certificate that is much more easier to get than passport
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by CheapHomes1: 8:05pm On Apr 21
WizardOfNG:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/687693-passport-renewal-proof-of-citizenship-mandatory-nis.html

Mindlog:

If non-citizens already have Nigerian passports, what stops them getting a local government certificate of indigeneship?
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by 247man: 8:19pm On Apr 21
So how will people in diaspora get LG certificates of indigeneship
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by WizardOfNG: 8:20pm On Apr 21
onyxo76:

[b]We just like to complicate matters in this country, [/b]I'm almost certain that the minister doesn't have a document from his local government proving that he is an indigene.
Or what criteria will be used for that purpose, is it that you were born there or lived or schooled there?

Nigeria is in a coded and unspoken state of emergency. Try and see the big picture and simply comply for the greater good.

You will be able to prove you are Nigerian to a satsifactory level that will get you what you want. Trust me about that.

You are not a target. It is those holding or wanting a Nigerian passport they are not entitled to and are in Nigeria or wish to enter our Nation, for nefarious and evil purposes, that are the target.

The "new regime" they use is coded language to let well-meaning Nigerians understand this is a new Government that is putting a stop to 'the open door country' and 'destination for all' the previous regime encouraged to get Nigeria in the security mess she is in today.

Farmers cant even farm to produce food for Nigeria because of how Nigeria is being overrun by evil foreigners. No security, no nothing. That should be clear to most Nigerians.

In the new regime, part of the requirements for renewal of passports include provision of a National Identification Number, old passport number, birth certificate, and local government certificate of indigeneship.

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by onyxo76(m): 8:31pm On Apr 21
WizardOfNG:

Nigeria is in a coded and unspoken state of emergency. Try and see the big picture and simply comply for the greater good.

You will be able to prove you are Nigerian to a satsifactory level that will get you what you want. Trust me about that.

You are not a target. It is those holding a Nigerian passport they are not entitled to and are in or wish to enter Nigeria, for nefarious and evil purposes, that are the target.
we hope so, I just hope it will not become another goldmine for those working in local government offices, like I'm from ondo state but lived in lagos all my life, which local government will I claiming now as indugene?
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by popsyleo1: 8:33pm On Apr 21
I applied for renewal and captured since 4 weeks ago till this moment the passport is yet to be issued. I submitted the above documents still it's delaying.
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Truthsandtrusts: 8:40pm On Apr 21
WizardOfNG:

Every day mumu policies na owner dey bring o,yet no sincere development since 1999
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by WizardOfNG: 8:42pm On Apr 21
onyxo76:

we hope so, I just hope it will not become another goldmine for those working in local government offices, like I'm from ondo state but lived in lagos all my life, which local government will I claiming now as indugene?

If you've lived in Lagos all your life you claim Lagos State because you'd have primary school, secondary school, work record and perhaps even voters registration from Lagos State.

Bonafide Nigerians with kids born abroad are getting dual citizenship Nigerian passport for their children no problem.

This is not not targeted at legitimate Nigerians like you.

If Nigeria was not so ethnically divided, with everyone always ready to play victim of 'unjust' persecution, then the Government would be more comfortable admitting what they are really doing.

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by Franklyspeakin: 8:43pm On Apr 21
when I went to renew mine I saw an immigrations officer pull out a state of origin form fill and stamp it for someone. then asked him to go and photocopy it for his application. how they have such documents I don't know
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by seunayantokun(m): 8:44pm On Apr 21
Buhari has imported too many non-Nigerians already. Anyone can get anything from any local government. To deal with that, each local government should ask for letters of identification duly signed and stamped by the traditional ruler of your village before issuing you its own identity confirmation. That's where your roots cannot be disguised. For those imported by Buhari, it will take a collaborator emir to cover and support non-Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by WizardOfNG: 9:00pm On Apr 21
Tonididdyx:

Rules?
Name some rules that are only limited to Nigerians?
Foreigners are treated better in this country!

Is that relevant to discussion here? Bro, this is a security issue. Your security mainly, if you live in Nigeria.

On the right thread it would be relevant to vent as much as possible about foreigners getting treated better in Nigeria if that is your main problem in life.

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by WizardOfNG: 9:02pm On Apr 21
seunayantokun:

Buhari has imported too many non-Nigerians already. Anyone can get anything from any local government.

To deal with that, each local government should ask for letters of identification duly signed and stamped by the traditional ruler of your village before issuing you its own identity confirmation. That's where your roots cannot be disguised. For those imported by Buhari, it will take a collaborator emir to cover and support non-Nigerians.

You get the big picture completely. Everthing has to be tried to cleanse our nation of foreign demons and keep them out.

1 Like

Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by PHAYOL81: 9:12pm On Apr 21
Of course it should be prerequisite. It's fine.
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by IMPARTIAL: 9:14pm On Apr 21
I guess they want to identify those people from Niger, Mali etc that have our passports. Well, getting identification from local govt may not be difficult.

No be money?😋
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by wonlasewonimi: 9:22pm On Apr 21
247man:
So how will people in diaspora get LG certificates of indigeneship

I will have to go fly directly to oshogbo airport to get mine
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by just2endowed: 9:28pm On Apr 21
WizardOfNG:

Probably not so much about renewal and more about new passport that NIN now secures.

We all know many consistently argued that NIN supervision, under Buhari, was to grant Nigerian citizenship cheaply and easily to many who should never have had access to it. Too late now IMO.

So many aliens are carrying Nigeria nin.

Some local government workers are now selling cert of origin at cheap rate
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by 247man: 9:39pm On Apr 21
wonlasewonimi:

I will have to go fly directly to oshogbo airport to get mine

😃º°˚˚˚°ºнaĦaнaº°˚˚˚°º​😃
Re: Passport Renewal: Proof Of Citizenship Mandatory – NIS by bdon123(m): 10:51pm On Apr 21
WizardOfNG:

You're a Nigerian so you have nothing to worry about. Meeting inconvenient conditions, even though you're a bonafide Nigerians, also means you'd be helping to help Nigeria become safer.
Hav u tot abt nigerians living abroad wit old Nigerian passport?where are they supposed to get those documents frm.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Narcotic Drugs, Condoms Found In Boko-Haram Camps. / Benue APC Lawmakers Serve Governor Ortom Impeachment Notice / Judge Egwuatu Travels Abroad As Igboho’s Aides Meet All Bail Conditions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.