Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,970 members, 7,825,034 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? (6766 Views)

Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money / Hurricane Sandy: Will Nigeria Learn From The Emergency Response Plan Of USA? / What A Country Lesotho Is, Can Nigeria Learn From Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by na2day(m): 4:18pm On Nov 19, 2011
I just finished watching this documentary on Sierra Leone and i could see exactly what lead to the civil,
same thing that is currently happening in Nigeria now.
This film is a must watch for all our leaders!
They say "history has a way of repeating itself"  cry

[size=13pt]The Empire in Africa[/size]

[flash=640,480]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_srovvMLoA[/flash]

The rebels who started the civil war in Sierra Leone 15 years ago wanted only one thing:
to reclaim the richness of the country from foreign corporations in order to end the exploitation of its people.
In response, the international community decided to wage a war on this country,
with bombs, executions, torture, rigged elections and manipulation of the international media.
This created one of the worst humanitarian disasters of the 20th century.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by na2day(m): 5:33pm On Nov 19, 2011
I honestly weep for Africa,
With the way the west is manipulating us for their economic gain,
There is no light at the end of the tunnel.
cry cry cry

Any one that watch this video will surely understand
Why we are having the kind of problem we are having now in Nigeria.
God bless Philippe Diaz for an eye opening documentary.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 19, 2011
na2day!:

I honestly weep for Africa,
With the way the west is manipulating us for their economic gain,
There is no light at the end of the tunnel.
cry  cry  cry
Any one that watch this video will surely understand
Why we are having the kind of problem we are having now in Nigeria.
God bless Philippe Diaz for an eye opening documentary.

We bear no responsibility for some of our own woes?

Let's all exhale and rest in the knowledge our boggeyman is the West? grin

What lessons do you think we can be learn from the Sierra Leonean war?
<Scrap that idea, it is pointless asking, since you see "no light at the end of the tunnel" >

God will fix all our problems, comrade.

There is no really cause for alarm!
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Kobojunkie: 6:08pm On Nov 19, 2011
^^^
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by na2day(m): 6:09pm On Nov 19, 2011
Did u guyz bother to watch the video at all?
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Nov 19, 2011
na2day!:

Did u guyz bother to watch the video at all?

Comrade, I did sometime ago. Heart wrenching it is, to say the least.

But then, what lessons do you think we can draw from it?
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by na2day(m): 6:41pm On Nov 19, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Comrade, I did sometime ago. Heart wrenching it is, to say the least.

But then, what lessons do you think we can draw from it?

I'm glad you've watched it.
Some of the issues are :
One dominant and highly corrupt party(APC) ruling the country until armed rebellion broke out (compare that to our PDP)
The international community backing a flawed election and calling it free and fair
Britain raising a mercenary group (Sandline) to invade the country etc
The way things are degenerating in Nigeria now,
The atrocities in the video will be child's play if things play out!
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 19, 2011
"The richness of the country is still in the hands of foreign corporations" sad
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by jason123: 8:40pm On Nov 19, 2011
The people(they know themselves) that shout war and divide 24/7 on Nairaland need to see this.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by na2day(m): 9:48pm On Nov 19, 2011
I'm happy, some of u have watched the video  smiley
I had to force myself to finish it, the pictures and videos were too explicit and gruesome .
And to even think dat Nigerian soldiers were involved in the barbarity  embarassed
May God forgive us!
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 1:32am On Nov 20, 2011
na2day!:

I'm happy, some of u have watched the video smiley
I had to force myself to finish it, the pictures and videos were too explicit and gruesome .
And to even think dat Nigerian soldiers were involved in the barbarity embarassed
May God forgive us!

Na2day?
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by na2day(m): 3:04am On Nov 20, 2011
Wit what they did in Sierra Leone,
You wonder what the innocent people in the North
Must be passing through, all in the name of fighting Boko haram.
Nigerian Army, i mean! angry
Those guys are brutes!
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Kobojunkie: 3:06am On Nov 20, 2011
Now this is becoming more interesting. grin grin So we should not send the brutes. Who do we send then? YOU?
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by na2day(m): 3:38am On Nov 20, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Now this is becoming more interesting.  grin grin So we should not send the brutes. Who do we send then? YOU?

In every sane society, the army follows the rules of engagement and also rules concerning captured combatants,
I know u didn't watch the video, because if u did u wouldn't make such silly statement like u just did.
Imagine what they did to that kid taken from his home!
He's just a small boy for God sake!  angry
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Kobojunkie: 3:46am On Nov 20, 2011
Again . . . .

Kobojunkie:

Now this is becoming more interesting. grin grin So we should not send the brutes. Who do we send then? YOU?
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by spyder880(m): 3:15pm On Nov 20, 2011
The only indisputable fact about history is that the past will always repeat itself in the future, always.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 20, 2011
You people are betraying Nigeria. The mobile police should be taking care of those of you in Nigeria soon. And the others who are just trying to destroy Nigeria from abroad : believe me there will be no safe place for you to hide.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 4:01pm On Nov 20, 2011
Really?
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Mokambo: 5:18pm On Nov 20, 2011
See the destructtion Nigerian planes dealt out to the country.

Stupid Nigerians, always in a hurry to prove their dumb idea of a regional power.

Nigerians wanted to go do the same thing in Ivory Coast and were stopped right in their tracks by Ghana.

Ghana said nope, we are not going to Ivory Coast. Thanks to Ghana the small sensible country in West Africa this dropping of bombs on civilians did not happen in Ivory Coast.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by na2day(m): 5:22pm On Nov 20, 2011
patriot2:

You people are betraying Nigeria. The mobile police should be taking care of those of you in Nigeria soon. And the others who are just trying to destroy Nigeria from abroad : believe me there will be no safe place for you to hide.

angry  angry  angry
Where did this creti.n crawl out from?
You want to know who is betraying Nigeria?
Its animals like you and your cabal that has brought a great country to its knees!
E no go beta for u and ur mobile gestapo!
oloshi!
Patriot ko, parrot ni!  angry
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by na2day(m): 5:24pm On Nov 20, 2011
Mokambo:

See the destructtion Nigerian planes dealt out to the country.

silly Nigerians, always in a hurry to prove their dumb idea of a regional power.

Nigerians wanted to go do the same thing in Ivory Coast and were stopped right in their tracks by Ghana.

Ghana said nope, we are not going to Ivory Coast. Thanks to Ghana the small sensible country in West Africa this dropping of bombs on civilians did not happen in Ivory Coast.

No mind them jare!
simple boko haram, they cannot tame!
They are running to American for help! angry
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 20, 2011
q
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 20, 2011
First of all the only person in nigeria who wanted to send nigerian army to ivory coast was Jonathan. The nigerian army didn't agree with him and he had to shut up. And please don't tell me little Ghana stopped us. The UN failed to give Jonathan his mandate to send troops, if you add that to the nigerian millitary advisers who disagreed with the president. Jonathan was cornered. But Seeing how the french killed ivorian civilians by thousands and messlessly, I think next time ivorians will beg for nigerians to come.
And with the case of BokoHaram, that is a terrorist organisation, nigeria has allready obliterrated the military wing of the organisation : by the way Nigeria did so in a record time. With Boko Haram Nigeria had a situation ten times that of Libyan uprising. Yet our army did the job in no time. Now the coward rubish boko stupid haram has turned to terrorism. And it seems to me that it took the US ten years to deal with Osama, so why do you expect Nigeria to end terrorism in 2 days. So now go to hell and live nigeria alone. Or pay the price of treason to the entire Black Africa!
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Francis5: 7:49pm On Nov 20, 2011
Shouldn't the queston be, what did Nigeria learn from its own civil war which happened some 20 years before the Sierra Leonean war?
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 20, 2011
What Nigeria needs is a halt in foreign influence on nigerian politics, for that we need a powerfull airforce and a domestic technologie and free eduction for every nigerian. Like this we would build a verry strong modern army and we will grow fully independent and our people will enjoy the oil revenue. US and Europe parade as our friend yet they continue stabbing us in the back. Nigeria is the only hope for African independence and the only chance to show black people are not inferior to white people. Nigeria is 1/4 ofthe whole of Africa and all tribes in black Africa are represented in Nigeria, so if you are from an other African country then believe me nigeria loves you. Peace !
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Chongaiman: 8:08pm On Nov 20, 2011
na2day!:

. . . . The[b] rebels[/b] who started the civil war in Sierra Leone 15 years ago wanted only one thing:
to reclaim the richness of the country from foreign corporations in order to end the exploitation of its people. . . .

Believe this, you'll believe anything. The only thing they wanted was POWER! Even the devil can appear as an angel of light. Like the ostrich hiding its head in the ground, let's continue deceiving ourselves that the source of our problems - starting with slavery up to globalization - is the West and not we ourselves.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 20, 2011
No the reason of our problems is not just the west. But we have to recognize the people trying to kill us and responsible for 90% of our problems so that we can go forward and build a great nation and a great continent.
You can not just ignore the role played by the west in our downfall and in all the genocides they afflicted on Africa. That would be acting like a fool and turning your back to an armed person who wants you dead.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Chongaiman: 8:33pm On Nov 20, 2011
^^^
"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant.

Unfortunately we are/were not even in the league of great civilizations.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by zumbigbo(m): 8:38pm On Nov 20, 2011
A study of all wars on the continent should be mandatory for all Africans. Our problem is that our turnover of generations happens so quickly that the lessons and pain of the past are quickly forgotten and new generations are ready to make the same mistakes all over again.

I'm sure NEPA's frequent black-outs is a major contributory cause in our sky-rocketing population growth.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Nov 20, 2011
Chongaiman:

^^^
"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."  W. Durant.

Now you are just talking nonsence. Nobody understands what the hell you are talking about.

na2day!:

Wit what they did in Sierra Leone,
You wonder what the innocent people in the North
Must be passing through, all in the name of fighting Boko haram.
Nigerian Army, i mean!  angry
Those guys are brutes!

First of all you ignorant, Nigerian army is 100% made up of Nigerians. And Northerners are a verry significant part of Nigerian army. And you calling Bokoharam innocent people makes you lose any credibility.
Bokoharam is a terrorist unit with links to Alqaida. So please go and dump your shithole mouth into a toilet. And do not open that smelling mouth again.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Kobojunkie: 8:50pm On Nov 20, 2011
Chongaiman:

^^^
[size=13pt]"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."[/size] W. Durant.

Now someone is making some sense here. I know the quote is not originally yours but you could be the one to teach these "THE WEST IS THE PROBLEM" gang a thing or two.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram: 6 Alleged Suleja Bombers Granted N24m Bail / Jagaba Threatens To Sue Lawan For Blackmail / Bode George Appointed To PDP BoT Panel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.