Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,053 members, 7,838,658 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times (18182 Views)

Peter Obi Vehemently Condemns Lagos-Calabar Highway As A Misplaced Priority / ‘Misplaced Priority’ – Obi Questions Lagos-calabar Super Highway Project / Coastal Highway: Approximately 1km Of Highway Completed (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by DeOTR: 8:17am On May 06
ClearFlair:

So this is your argument? They are happy with high cost of food, fuel, no light, no jobs? They personally told you that this is their priority that will put food in their stomach?
So the government should leave developmental projects and focus on feeding you and buying you fuel, or what are you even saying?
The last time I checked, FG does not sell foodstuffs, fuel or distribute electricity.
Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by janeedema(f): 8:19am On May 06
A road that will take 8 years to complete. What’s happens to Nigerians before your projections come to pass. And if David Umahi is no longer in office and a new administration doesn’t buy into the dream? Yeah! You got! Another abandoned project it will become.

Sannisege:
The coastal road as an alternative road will reduce stress on the internal roads thereby making them last longer. New communities will also spring up along the coasts leading to more economic activities and depopulation of already overpopulated internal urban and rural areas. How about travel time reduction? The advantages are endless.

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by anonymous1759(m): 8:20am On May 06
CharleyBright:
Tinubu lo kan.
Anyone that think Tinubu doesn't intend to recoup the millions of dollars he threw in the elections, is out of his/her mind.

By the time Tinubu finishes 4 yrs tenure, (even if Nigerians doesn't give him 2nd term), he would have laid enough underground pipelines through which Nigeria's revenue will be syphooned into his family pocket like he did in Lagos state.
My worry is the way his very dangerously ambitious son - Seyi Tinubu is hovering around the seat of power like a vulture will make the even more deep.
Emi lo kan is far from Awa lo kan.
But am happy that the Emi lokan supporters were the first to compose and sing the Ebi kpa wa sound track.
What you sow, you will reap.

Some people’s son are Gays some are politicians. Seyi is learning the ropes from his dad , there’s absolutely nothing to criticize about seyi.

2 Likes

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Bluntemperor: 8:20am On May 06
francotunsco:

Critics are blind to these positives!
They just dont want this administration to succeed. They know the completion of this project will signal a huge achievement for President Tinubu and their paymaster will find it difficult to campaign against him 2027 if he performs well.

Just the TRUTH.
God bless you, brother!

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by firearcher: 8:21am On May 06
epainos:
Lol

Many of these people who write rubbish are mocked outside of Nigeria. Go check out all of the current wealthy nations. They began by developing infrastructure. Whether the economy is in depression or not, we must put structures, roads, railways, and seaways in place. We keep shouting that food is expensive...while farmers complain about bad roads. Consider how much food, oil, and other large items will be transported by rail across the entire region. And then the road will be preserved.

Many people are just educated illiterates in Nigeria.

I don't like Tinubu, I am not his fan... but during the election, I said it clearly that he would build Nigeria like he built Lagos. However, we will have his boys everywhere. Thuggery will reign... and many other bad things. Nigerians prefer him, and they have him. Shikena. Make dem manage am. But building infrastructure is not out of place.

Nigerians are gluttons. They prefer palliatives. Or have them use magic to put food on their table. They do not see the economic value in constructing this railway and road. They will finish it by the grace of God. Tinubu does not have records of abandoned projects. He is a man who chooses a follower to replace him and keep his projects going. The evidence is still in Lagos. He has many flaws, but I believe we should let this phase pass.

To me, let them keep putting infrastructure in place. We have reaped too many benefits from subsidies. Let us make sacrifices for our children and generations to come. Let us sacrifice for them. Even these politicians are embezzling, and we can do nothing. As long as infrastructure like this exists, we will eventually be able to confront corrupt politicians and control corruption.

Finally, it is beneficial to have opposition. While I condemn those who oppose this project, I still appreciate them. Everything requires checking and balancing.

Let us move Nigeria forward.

I think past governments have hidden under the excuse of insufficient fund and priority to abandon development of new capital projects in this country. The fact that our country also lack continuity in government due to absolutely lack of shared master plan discourages most government from embarking on long term projects. So they focus only on repairs and reconstructions ignoring that the demand on infrastructure keeps growing as population and demand exponentially increases.

Truth is there is always never a good or perfect time to embark on such capital projects. That argument is the weakest one from my POV. You can argue for transparency in award, accountability, plan for continuity and sustainability of execution, etc. But to just argue that the project should be postponed into the future is not acceptable to me
Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by ottersberger(m): 8:24am On May 06
Splashme:
When a thief is your president ...

When a thief is your president, my brother. Say no more.

2 Likes

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Ziggylee(m): 8:24am On May 06
The minster of works after his 4 years tenure he will be the richest minister in this tinubu administration. The guy is not smiling at all with trillions everywhere.

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Abagworo(m): 8:25am On May 06
What Tinubu and APC are doing is to use propaganda as usual to present Igbos as the people against it and funding organizations to release statements in supportg based on tribal grounds. Until Nigerians begin to look at issues beyond Igbo this and Igbo that we shall continue to lack cohesive plans and resultant implementation of strategies to actually bring peace and development. A quater of the money being used for this selfish coastal highway would have completed the existing East-West Road instead of a fresh duplicate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by newoffer: 8:25am On May 06
Do you know what development means. It shouldn't be like a Ponzi scheme. You just check the parties involved in the whole process na like the biggest scheme. Trillion not billion. We have a lot to work on as a nation. Our health system is on zero. Food is scarce. Roads are bad and u are building one long road.
MaziObinnaokija:
ANTI PROGRESS, DEVELOPMENT PEOPLE sad

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by PotatoSalad(m): 8:26am On May 06
Topman7:
I honestly wish there was a way we could mark down all the people opposed to this project, and BAN THEM FROM USING THAT ROAD once it's completed.

They're so annoying!

I have nothing against the road but I'll bet my two nuts that it won't be completed in 8 years. You know what's 700km?
Common Enugu onitsha expressway that's just 2 lanes and less than 100km, has been under construction before I wrote JSSCE in 2007. And it's no where near completion 17 years later!
No street lights o, no drainage. Just complete the two lanes first.

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Emmabyte: 8:27am On May 06
The truth is that we as a country don't need that high way now

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by newoffer: 8:27am On May 06
Lagos need 4th mainland bridge since 22 years e never happen na coastal road wey worth trillions. Another Sokoto Badagry road. And u don't think this is not just play anymore.
Ziggylee:
The minster of works after his 4 years tenure he will be the richest minister in this tinubu administration. The guy is not smiling at all with trillions everywhere.

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by David160(m): 8:28am On May 06

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Kukutente23: 8:29am On May 06
Adherence to due process has been raised by some critics, causing waffling in official quarters. The point has to be made: the project did not go through a competitive bidding process, which is imperative for such a huge venture, in line with the 2007 Public Procurement Act, as enunciated in Section 16 (1) (1) and (d), to create transparency, accountability and value for money.

As the minister admitted, the award sidestepped the public tender competitive bidding process. This raises the question of how the cost was arrived at.
Casualobserver Read. You argued that EPC does not need to go through bidding.
Read and cure your nauseating ignorance!
Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by ottersberger(m): 8:29am On May 06
When Peter Obi diplomatically said the exact same things premium Times just told us, the neo enemies of Nigeria went on rampage with the usual falsified narratives about the man.

Nigerians must now begin to see what these people are about, and feel repugnant with their presence in our national life.

As I had always said before now, this country has nothing to gain from an Ahmed Tinubu government, but everything to lose. My position will be vindicated in the fullness if time.

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Starpro87(m): 8:30am On May 06
Sannisege:
The coastal road as an alternative road will reduce stress on the internal roads thereby making them last longer. New communities will also spring up along the coasts leading to more economic activities and depopulation of already overpopulated internal urban and rural areas. How about travel time reduction? The advantages are endless.
The term priority underscores those advantages you mentioned.
The project is a good one but.......

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by BlackRainDrops: 8:30am On May 06
benuejosh:
South South people are so happy because of the coastal road that will be constructed and they have not hidden it, South West people are happy because the road will be constructed. The Northerners are not worried about it and have not said anything. But you see South East, they are very bitter because of that road. Why?
A project that will take up to eight years to complete is hardly realistic. Why not complete the ones that have already been done half-way?
Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by icedbreez(m): 8:31am On May 06
A pathetic hit job meant to gaslight people to act and think in a certain way.

Nigeria needs infrastructure, roads, railways, bus stations, bridges, electricity, fire stations etc.

Better than politicians just pocketing the money straight up.
Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by casualobserver: 8:33am On May 06
Kukutente23:

Casualobserver Read. You argued that EPC does not need to go through bidding.
Read and cure your nauseating ignorance!

Oga stop disturbing me. I have told you, feel free not to use the road and drive to Calabar via Benin etc and wait for a govt with $30b annual budget to fix the roads.

Like I said the problem of Nigeria are Nigerians. I have never seen where you give a begger a dirty N1000 note and he rejects it saying he wants a clean one….proving that a beggar is more intelligent than you are.

2 Likes

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Daystar7: 8:33am On May 06
epainos:
Lol

Many of these people who write rubbish are mocked outside of Nigeria. Go check out all of the current wealthy nations. They began by developing infrastructure. Whether the economy is in depression or not, we must put structures, roads, railways, and seaways in place. We keep shouting that food is expensive...while farmers complain about bad roads. Consider how much food, oil, and other large items will be transported by rail across the entire region. And then the road will be preserved.

I don't like Tinubu, I am not his fan... but during the election, I said it clearly that he would build Nigeria like he built Lagos. However, we will have his boys everywhere. Thuggery will reign... and many other bad things. Nigerians prefer him, and they have him. Shikena. Make dem manage am. But building infrastructure is not out of place.

Nigerians are gluttons. They prefer palliatives. Or have them use magic to put food on their table. They do not see the economic value in constructing this railway and road. They will finish it by the grace of God. Tinubu does not have records of abandoned projects. He is a man who chooses a follower to replace him and keep his projects going. The evidence is still in Lagos. He has many flaws, but I believe we should let this phase pass.

To me, let them keep putting infrastructure in place. We have reaped too many benefits from subsidies. Let us make sacrifices for our children and generations to come. Let us sacrifice for them. Even these politicians are embezzling, and we can do nothing. As long as infrastructure like this exists, we will eventually be able to confront corrupt politicians and control corruption.

Finally, it is beneficial to have opposition. While I condemn those who oppose this project, I still appreciate them. Everything requires checking and balancing.

Agbadorian didn't see nothing wrong in straining an already strained economy where the existing roads are so bad it's taking lives and causing more hardship. The existing roads are the ones u and ur useless father will use for now not the coastal whatever where you and your family will either be stuck in traffic or get burnt to hell by fallen tankers due to the bad state of this roads. He doesn't abandon project, and selects successors to carry on his project as in, ur mother fed cat breast milk cos u seem so daft, so Nigeria has turned to Lagos now? This project didn't go through due process, was probably awarded to themselves and financed with borrowed money at a time hunger, insecurity, inflation, scarcity of power, fuel and water is ravaging the country? You are not agbadorian but you support impunity. Nobody's against building costal highways but not at this time people can no longer afford 3 square meals due to failed policies. That's common sense but it's somehow alien to you cos ur parents must have been some slow in the head mfs! How does it benefit those that need to use the existing bad roads? They should go no where for 8 years and wait for Costal highway completion. 🤡

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Kukutente23: 8:33am On May 06
epainos:
Lol

If you think Nigeria is Lagos where Tinubu will just pick someone and start teleguiding him from his bedroom, then you don't know much about your country. Ask OBJ how far with Yaradua. Everything baba did thinking he was doing Yaradua a favour was reversed within the first 3 months with lots cheers from the north. Tinubu does not even speak Hausa!! If that road is not completed or at least close to completion by the time Tinubu's tenure expires, verily I say unto you, that project will be very difficult to see completion especially with the shady nature of its award.

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by kforces1: 8:38am On May 06
U're talking as if you are not in Nigeria. They will never complete this project in 8yrs. Name it, lokojaabija, east west road, sagamu-ore road & others, mention one they have completed. Another looting pipeline. Thieves in government quote author=Topman7 post=129805830]I honestly wish there was a way we could mark down all the people opposed to this project, and BAN THEM FROM USING THAT ROAD once it's completed.

They're so annoying!

[/quote]
Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Kukutente23: 8:39am On May 06
casualobserver:

Oga stop disturbing me. I have told you, feel free not to use the road and drive to Calabar via Benin etc and wait for a govt with $30b annual budget to fix the roads.

Like I said the problem of Nigeria are Nigerians. I have never seen where you give a begger a dirty N1000 note and he rejects it saying he wants a clean one?
You've delved into irrelevance.
Since you're for the road, feel free to not use any of the alternative roads for the next 8 years plus until the coastal road is completed.

Anyone chasing two rats always ends up with nothing. The problem of Nigeria is hypocritical Zombies who had no problem criticising anything and everything using lies in most cases but now have an aversion to criticism even in the face of glaring truths just because their favorite thieves are now at the receiving end.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by jasent(m): 8:39am On May 06
Sannisege:
This one didn't read the article. Shame on you

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Dafresh: 8:43am On May 06
benuejosh:
South South people are so happy because of the coastal road that will be constructed and they have not hidden it, South West people are happy because the road will be constructed. The Northerners are not worried about it and have not said anything. But you see South East, they are very bitter because of that road. Why?
because your skull is filled with Akarm that is why you haven't seen that Igbos always make most sense we always wan you people starting from Buhari now Tinubu. The economy of the country is very bad and all you can choose to do is to build 10 lane roads of 77 trillion naira and you destroyed the existing businesses to build something that will be abandoned like other roads was abandoned

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Krankhead: 8:43am On May 06
Why is it only the Igbos, Obidients and South east complaining.?
Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by israelmao(m): 8:45am On May 06
Those that belong to the school of thought that some projects embarked upon by the previous administrations should first be completed before new projects come on the stream are making sense.Why start new projects while the ones on ground are yet to be completed?The huge debt secured for the previous projects are being serviced which warrants some cautions should be applied in accessing new loans.

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Dpharisee: 8:47am On May 06
OredoPikin:

so what happened to existing roads that needs urgent attentions?

are u guys normal in this country at all?

majority of our federal roads are in bad shapes with no plans of repair and u are spending 15trillion for a project that will not come to light till 8yrs
are u guys brainless or u just defend because tinubu is ur tribesman?
You got it right, its simply because of tribalism that the support 15T for a road project while all the federal roads in bad shape across the country got N300b in the budget

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Bizibi(m): 8:49am On May 06
benuejosh:
yes we are happy but that should not be a priority now it can happen later in his administration. There are roads in South South that are terribly bad especially the road that links Benin to lokoja,I was using that road until I stopped traveling on that road.

We know the road is for the port they want to build in Calabar but it should be a step at a time.

1 Like

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Kwaramustgoodag: 8:50am On May 06
epainos:
Lol

always try to read and understand. Premium time don't criticise, rather, sane Nigerians don't as well. What they asking for is, why will they award the contract to a single company, that is a friend to Mr president without any bidding competitions from other construction companies and how did they came to the figure of the project funds. Even Lagos-ibadan express way that is not far, two contractors are working on it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by anonimi: 8:51am On May 06
onatisi:
i never believed we could ever have a government worse than Buhari but with the way Tinubu is doing, it is evident that Buhari will eventually be hailed as a very good man and leader. Tinubu is virtually taking financial recklessness,carelessness and cluelessness to a height never seen before in the history of this nation. This is more than fraud , this is pure murder , they are killing this nation gradually

Based on ThiefNuibu's Lagos record for the past 25 years, I am surprised that anyone is surprised about his worse performance than Buhari.

What did he achieve with all the revenue (IGR & federal allocation) plus loans compared to Awolowo, Mobolaji-Johnson, Jakande and even Marwa who each had far less than 25 years that THE Lagos landlord has held 20 million smart & sophisticated Lagosians by their balls literally.

itubaba001:
Lagos, the commercial hub of Nigeria, has been ranking as one of the worst places to live in the world for the nine straight years, a BusinessDay analysis shows.

Data from the 2019 Global Liveability Index published by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), the world’s leader in global business intelligence, shows the city has been within the range of 137th-139th position out of a total of 140 cities in the world from year 2011-2019.
>
>
The EIU examines the quality of health care, education, infrastructure, stability, and culture when assessing living conditions of each city. More than 30 factors are taken into account when calculating each rank, which are then complied into a weighted score between one and 100.

https://businessday.ng/uncategorized/article/lagos-ranks-amongst-worst-cities-to-live-in-for-nine-straight-years/

eluquenson:
REVISITING SOME OF THE LATEEF JAKANDE'S GOVERNMENT ACHIEVEMENTS FROM OCTOBER 1979 TO DECEMBER 1983 (FOUR YEARS AND 3 MONTHS) IN LAGOS STATE

* His government built the current Lagos State Secretariat which houses all the state ministries as well as the popular round house hitherto occupied by all subsequent governors of the state.

* His government built the Lagos State House of Assembly complex.

* His government built the Lagos State Television

* His government built the Lagos Radio

* His government built Lagos State University

* His government established General Hospital in zones all over the state with assurance of free health care.

* His government established Teacher Training College and the College of Education.

* His government built low cost houses in Ijaiye, Dolphin, Oke-Afa, Ije, Abesan, Iponri, Ipaja, Abule Nla, Epe, Amuwo-Odofin, Anikantamo, Surulere, Iba, Ikorodu, Badagry, Isheri/Olowu, Orisigun etc.

* His government established the Water Management Board and Waste Disposal Board on the 18th of August, 1980.

* His government constructed the Adiyan Water Works to increase water supply in the state to 18.16 million litres per day.

* His government modernized and expanded the Iju Water Works which was first commissioned in 1915. This increased daily capacity from 159 million to 204 million litres per day.

* His government purchased and commissioned the giant car crusher equipment. The equipment was designed specifically to crush derelict vehicles in Lagos State. It had the capacity to crush 45 vehicles per day.

* His government constructed, rehabilitated and resurfaced Epe/Ijebu-Ode Road, Oba Akran Avenue, Toyin Street, Town Planning Way, Alimosho-Idimu-Egbe Road, Idimu-Iba-LASU Road, the new secretariat road and several others.

* His government constructed Victoria Island/Epe Road and thereby creating an ‘oil rig’ for Lagos State.

* His government established Asphalt Plant for the Department of Public Works.

* His government established Electricity Board for Rural Electrification with provision of street lights.

* His government modernized, expanded and commissioned Onikan Stadium in 1982.

* His government established a singular school system and ensured genuine free education in Lagos State and the beneficiaries of this policy are in different positions of eminence in the country and around the world.

* His government raised the primary schools in Lagos State to 812 with 533,001 pupils (against 605 primary schools with 434,545 pupils he met in 1979) and secondary schools to 223 with 167,629 students (against 105 schools with 107,835 students in 1979).

* His government constructed 11, 729 classrooms with the maximum of 40 children per class between March and August 1980, by 1983, he had constructed over 22,000 classrooms.

* In July 1983, two commercial passenger boats christened "Baba Kekere and Itafaji" to run the Mile 2 - Marina (CMS) route via the lagoons were inaugurated by his government to mark the official launch of the Lagos State ferry services.

* His government took over the ownership and financing of Lagos State Printing Corporation in July 1980

* His government established the first State Traffic Management Authority (Road Marshals).

* His government established small scale Industries Credit Scheme which preceded the EKO bank.

*His government established LASACO Insurance.

*His government expanded existing market and built new ones.

*His government established Traditional Medicine Board.

WHO SAYS 4 YEARS IN OFFICE IS NOT ENOUGH FOR MEANINGFUL ACHIEVEMENTS?

IT'S A FACT THAT 90% OF GOVERNORS IN NIGERIA SINCE 1999 WITH REVENUES AT THEIR DISPOSAL CANNOT BOAST OF A QUARTER OF THESE ACHIEVEMENTS EVEN WITHIN THEIR EIGHT YEARS IN OFFICE.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times by Yankee101: 8:51am On May 06
Tinubu is a thief
A very big thief
Allowing him to even contest when he’s not qualified was an error cos he was the most desperate and did everything to win by fraud

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles / Anambra Lawyers Warn Nnamdi Kanu On Governorship Polls, Write Obinao (pic) / Confusion Deepens In Ogun PDP As Kashamu Launches Governorship Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.