Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,265 members, 7,839,342 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:14 PM

Job Creation: The New Reality For Nigerian Graduates - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Job Creation: The New Reality For Nigerian Graduates (836 Views)

Rochas Okorocha’s Son Graduates Frm University Of Manchester With First Class / Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? / Response To OLISAH METUH On APC Manifesto On Job Creation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Creation: The New Reality For Nigerian Graduates by Ozegbe(m): 5:32pm On Nov 26, 2011
My fellow nairalanders, I want this thread to be about ideas on the art and need to create job and be self employed or an employer of people rather than a job seeker. Looking at the population of nigeria today and the number of graduates each year, the rate of unemployment is on the increase by the day and if all we think about is how to get great jobs from great companies them this rate will never decrease. I want ideas on different areas one can find profitable goods, services to engage chalenges facing job creation and ways to combat them. If you are an economist, a consultant, a professional body or motivational speaker, whatever you are your contribution to this new reality for nigeria is highly welcome. Just bear in mind that SMSE are the major employers in America today.
Re: Job Creation: The New Reality For Nigerian Graduates by CyberG: 6:24pm On Nov 26, 2011
I doubt you've ever been to America before, know its history or understand how the system works. Therefore, it is funny when you throw out something about America when Nigeria's situation is 180 degrees different. Before you parrot SMSE's in America, how much of infrastructure has the entire country of Nigeria installed to support manufacturing? Industry? Agriculture? etc? Or you think buying and selling is what a country like America needed to be where it is today? The SMSEs in Nigeria and operators are not going to be successful, vibrant or help the unemployment situation in Nigeria if there is not even the most basic things for an averagely smart guy to create a product: power, roads, security, before you add other important things relevant education (a poorly trained or educated guy cannot compete with people creating semiconductor devices, high tech military hardware, cutting edge software used by multi-billion dollar companies, etc).

In a nutshell, Nigeria needs power, efficient transportation, security to begin to create anything whatsoever, forget high tech manufacturing at the beginning. When any welder, carpenter, etc have the enabling environment to do their work, then Nigeria is ready to reduce employment rate by SMSEs. The government abandoning its obligations of creating the enabling environment and expecting the SMSE to create both the environment and the jobs is silly thinking. Finally, remember, SMSEs in the country you mentioned are not just buying and selling. . .or who do you expect to create the goods? Goods don't appear from thing air only for you to trade them!

I recommend you read a very good about industrialization (from a Nigerian perspective): Solution to Mass Unemployment in Nigeria by Prof. F. E. Ogbimi.

1 Like

Re: Job Creation: The New Reality For Nigerian Graduates by cjfavour(m): 6:47pm On Nov 26, 2011
tell d presido to do smthng about d bank's high interest rate and conditionalities.
Re: Job Creation: The New Reality For Nigerian Graduates by BootyOnMe: 6:56pm On Nov 26, 2011
In a country where only the "occultic" rich can obtain a bank loan with an IOU as collateral. . . . .and make it to 'Forbes List' with 'gbese'?
Just musing. . . . . .
Re: Job Creation: The New Reality For Nigerian Graduates by Ozegbe(m): 9:33pm On Nov 26, 2011
Like I righly said I dont know all and need direction. Thanks for the book recommendation but my broda I dont think this is the time to start look at setback cause that all we have doing. Sometimes we the youth are the cause of our problem, imagine VEDA LAPTOP a nigeria owned company why they were advertising and trying to add so many incentives to market theirs product some group of people were just murmuring around discouraging others by saying "this na naija made e no last abeg na hp or dell win am, me no buy jor" we this kind of attitude we can not move forward ever.

(1) (Reply)

Fed Govt, Global Biofuels Sign N424b Plant Deal / Quit Threat To Christians: Acf, Afenifere, Opc, N/d Group, Nirec, Others React / Is It Wrong To Make Fun Of Political Issues Like Fuel Subsidy Removal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.