Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,044 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? (5223 Views)

Photos Of Air Force Helicopters Providing Cover Over Abuja-Kaduna Highway / Why Do Most Nigerians Equate Igbo Trade Domination To Political Dominance? / If Nigeria Is Broke, Why Does Government Live Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 4:55pm On Apr 08, 2015

the assumption
I have heard it said by folks that the government should just fix electricity, and job creation would take care of itself.
I find this assertion extremely naïve and always look at folks that echoe this from the corner of one of my eyes.

the reality
I'll burst this assumption by first pointing you to the fact that Nigeria currently has loads of 'flexible' electricity
Yep, your generator that constantly disturbs your neighbour is a tool for flexible electricity.
You can take it anywhere with you even to the forest to provide electricity for your bush meat hunting business as long as you have fuel.
yes, generators and petrol are abundant in Nigeria.

The challenge is the cost of purchasing and running them.

the more you look, the less you see
When folks ask and pray that government provide electricity, they seem to forget that what matter is not if there is constant "NEPA" power supply
It is the cost of the energy that really matters relative to other costs.

If for an hour of "NEPA" light, the price is set at N2,000 I wonder what jobs will come out of such federally generated electricity.
You err if you think that high prices cannot be set for centrally generated electricity.
Your error could be in the same magnitude as your dad thinking that cement price would always remain at N50 hence he was in no hurry to buiold hios house.
Ever heard of monopoly?

Separating the corn from the chaff
Well this piece was simply to drag us back to reality
to make us understand that Job creation is not a fluke activity domiciled in the realms of masturbatory politics

When a government wants job created, it consciously creates and enforces policies (systemic structures) that allow job creation flourish
It's almost like how you tend and protect your garden to ensure that your crops grow right, and not just throwing your maize around like the sower in the bible

HOME WORK
Provide a list of policies that when viewed holistically can have a positive impact on Job creation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by ramdris(m): 5:37pm On Apr 08, 2015
Yes to some level as more investors will come back into the country. Nigeria due to her population will yield profit but the cost of running bizness here is quite high which was why many firms left this country to our neighboring countries to do bizness.

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Tayeni(m): 7:02pm On Apr 08, 2015
i doubt if you are involved in any business that has to do with manufacturing. If you were, you wont underestimate the higher cost of generating electricity privately as opposed to centrally generated electricity. dobt u think its absurd that every telecom mast has to hv a generator in Nig to function? same for every ATM.

imagine u are a startup...and have 10 naira to set up....u find out u have to set aside 3 naira for "flexible" energy. if u had procured 2 more machines with ur 3 naira instead of gnerator, u would have employed atleast two more operators to man ur extra machines.
ur extra output would help u to be competitive in the market place....you will make more sales at less production cost....u will make more profit from which u can re-invest....then u can employ more workers....its a chain reaction and its hard to tell where it ends. its a simplistic way of looking at the situation but that pretty much sums it up

frm the road side welder to the factory floors...the groaning is the same.
its a more efficient and less costly source of electricity even if the current rate is doubled than ur "flexible" electricity.

but you are right because stable electricity is not the only remedy for job creation....the approach has to be holistic

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 7:52pm On Apr 08, 2015
ramdris:
Yes to some level as more investors will come back into the country. Nigeria due to her population will yield profit but the cost of running bizness here is quite high which was why many firms left this country to our neighboring countries to do bizness.

You nailed it
The cost of doing business is an issue
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 7:57pm On Apr 08, 2015
Tayeni:
i doubt if you are involved in any business that has to do with manufacturing. If you were, you wont underestimate the higher cost of generating electricity privately as opposed to centrally generated electricity. dobt u think its absurd that every telecom mast has to hv a generator in Nig to function? same for every ATM.

imagine u are a startup...and have 10 naira to set up....u find out u have to set aside 3 naira for "flexible" energy. if u had procured 2 more machines with ur 3 naira instead of gnerator, u would have employed atleast two more operators to man ur extra machines.
ur extra output would help u to be competitive in the market place....you will make more sales at less production cost....u will make more profit from which u can re-invest....then u can employ more workers....its a chain reaction and its hard to tell where it ends. its a simplistic way of looking at the situation but that pretty much sums it up

its a more efficient and less costly source of electricity even if the current rate is doubled than ur "flexible" electricity.

but you are right because stable electricity is not the only remedy for job creation....the approach has to be holistic

Electricity is not an issue
the cost of power relative to our earning and expenditure is the issue

If petrol costs N1 per liter, and regular government generated electricity costs N10,000 per hour
won't you rather use your generator?

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Tayeni(m): 11:00pm On Apr 08, 2015
esere826:

If petrol costs N1 per liter, and regular government generated electricity costs N10,000 per hour
let me get you right before i reply appropriately....
Are u implying that its cheaper to run a generator than to pay ur electricity bills?.
i suspect you are a student therefore not yet responsible for your bills
or you have never run a business before
or u are not resident in Nigeria
or simply being mischievious....

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 7:16am On Apr 09, 2015
Tayeni:
Are u implying that its cheaper to run a generator than to pay ur electricity bills?.

-I am not a student
-I have run businesses before and still working on some
-I reside in Nigeria as well as else well. This gives me an advantage of looking at things from multiple angles
-I am not being mischievous, rather I am being mentally rigorous.

Now, questions for you:
-Have you ever run a business before?
-Are you adept at sociology and economics?

I made a glaring point in my article and response to your previous post, which you have not been able to pick
this is what entrapment in assumptions cause.
Try sharing the article with a sound friend and watch out for the persons reactions

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Pavore9: 8:15am On Apr 09, 2015
More SMEs will pop up thus jobs.
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 09, 2015
This guy has never done any business involving power. if u have, u will discover that it costs millions of naira monthly to fuel generators for big manufacturing companies.

Getting electricity is the most important step to create employment, government laws is the second.

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Nobody: 8:51am On Apr 09, 2015
chuna1985:
This guy has never done any business involving power. if u have, u will discover that it costs millions of naira monthly to fuel generators for big manufacturing companies.
Getting electricity is the most important step to create employment, government laws is the second.
Tayeni:

He has a point. We run a manufacturing company and EEDC gave us a bill of 70,000 naira when we barely even get light upto 12 hours per week. I can imagine what the bill will be like when we have constant power. Constant electricity is important but we cant overlook the cost. I believe thats what he is trying to say
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by omenka(m): 9:25am On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

your argument is terribly flawed. You are just quoting arbitrary figures to support your stand. If you say the bolded, then one could easily assume the reverse of course, thereby rendering your point useless.

Now, look at this:

For the regular "I pass my neighbor" generator, a full tank which is about 5 litres would cost N450 (assuming an average cost of N90 per litre). A full tank runs for 7hours on average. If it is operated for 24 hours, it means one would require about 15 litres, bringing the cost of running it for that long to N6,750!! Multiply this by 30 and you get a whooping N202,500!!

If one were to slash this figure in half to reflect that these businesses run on an average of 12hours a day, you'd still get N101,250!

Now, compare that to what is charged on average by electricity regulators for such small businesses that run on such generators and you'd see what a colossal loss of income and savings businesses suffer. These are monies that could be reinvested into expansion of businesses which then translates into hiring more hands (employment).

Your argument really doesn't hold water.

6 Likes

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Tayeni(m): 9:30am On Apr 09, 2015
nwanna89:

He has a point. We run a manufacturing company and EEDC gave us a bill of 70,000 naira when we barely even get light upto 12 hours per week. I can imagine what the bill will be like when we have constant power. Constant electricity is important but we cant overlook the cost. I believe thats what he is trying to say
Nwanna.....clear the air....is your company's bill estimated or read?.
is the 70,000 naira a month's bill or accumulation of past debt?

what is the consumption rate of your company( you cant tell me a coy thats into iron smelting is expected to b billed the same as a service coy whose electricity need is just for lighting and a few appliances.)
i agree that bills can be outrageous...infact most of the time they are...but i will pick constant power supply at the current rate than run my business on generators any day any time.....ask any small or medium scale manufacturer.....

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by profosa: 9:40am On Apr 09, 2015
Constant supply of electricity must be accompanied by heavily developing our railway system particularly Cargo trains.

The cost of haulage services in Nigeria is too high.
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Tayeni(m): 9:52am On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

Now, questions for you:
-Have you ever run a business before?
-Are you adept at sociology and economics?

I made a glaring point in my article and response to your previous post, which you have not been able to pick
this is what entrapment in assumptions cause.
Try sharing the article with a sound friend and watch out for the persons reactions

i dont have to even share this with friends offline....there are enough sound people here to tear your article into shreds.
The first step to take on our journey to industrialization (which will in turn take care of unemployment) is to take care of the Power problem....otherwise, all the policies put in place wont work.
In response to your questions
*yes i 'm into business.
*i dont have to be formally trained in economics and sociology to do the simple math Omeka did up there(check it out again)....my primary sch education will suffice.

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:28am On Apr 09, 2015
Tayeni:

Don't bother yourself with that half-baked analysis. Perhaps, the op is blind to factories closing down, laying off workers and relocating elsewhere! The money you spend to fuel your generator has alternative uses: it could be saved or invested or better still stimulate demand for other goods and services! SMH at the op!
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by sammyj: 11:31am On Apr 09, 2015
CAPITAL yes , they provide the enabling environment for job creation by doing this !!!

2 Likes

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 11:41am On Apr 09, 2015
nwanna89:

You got it
Interesting that some business men on Nairaland take it for granted that centrally generated electricity should always be very cheap
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 11:41am On Apr 09, 2015
Pavore9:
More SMEs will pop up thus jobs.
How?
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 11:44am On Apr 09, 2015
chuna1985:

Did you read my piece?
If you did, you would have noted my emphasis on trashing the assumption that centrally generated power always equates to cheap source of power
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 11:50am On Apr 09, 2015
Tayeni:
i dont have to even share this with friends offline....there are enough sound people here to tear your article into shreds.
Not many of the ones responding so far unfortunately -sound no

The first step to take on our journey to industrialization (which will in turn take care of unemployment) is to take care of the Power problem....otherwise, all the policies put in place wont work.
Nope power does not necessarily take care of unemployment
There are more developed countries than ours that have power but also suffer unemployment issues e;g Greece

Remember that the cost of Power relative to earnings can also be a factor

In response to your questions
*yes i 'm into business.
*i dont have to be formally trained in economics and sociology to do the simple math Omeka did up there(check it out again)....my primary sch education will suffice.

good
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by emiye(m): 11:54am On Apr 09, 2015
you are the naive one.
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Pavore9: 11:55am On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

How?

Let us assume l open up a butchery which requires electricity to preserve the meat, l would certainly need workers.
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Feraz(m): 12:01pm On Apr 09, 2015
Maybe/Maybe not. Some will tap into the opportunity to utilize the electricity creating jobs while others may just watch it and not utilize it. I will use steel companies as example - it will be cheaper to run companies like these on electricity than using alternate sources which will be very expensive thereby employing more work force than using that amount to power the firm.
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 12:05pm On Apr 09, 2015
omenka:
your argument is terribly flawed. You are just quoting arbitrary figures to support your stand. If you say the bolded, then one could easily assume the reverse of course, thereby rendering your point useless.

Now, look at this:

For the regular "I pass my neighbor" generator, a full tank which is about 5 litres would cost N450 (assuming an average cost of N90 per litre). A full tank runs for 7hours on average. If it is operated for 24 hours, it means one would require about 15 litres, bringing the cost of running it for that long to N6,750!! Multiply this by 30 and you get a whooping N202,500!!

If one were to slash this figure in half to reflect that these businesses run on an average of 12hours a day, you'd still get N101,250!

Now, compare that to what is charged on average by electricity regulators for such small businesses that run on such generators and you'd see what a colossal loss of income and savings businesses suffer. These are monies that could be reinvested into expansion of businesses which then translates into hiring more hands (employment).

Your argument really doesn't hold water.

Good debate
I probably need to set the context but that might be too long and complex.

In summary, I'm saying something like this:
If you guys say to the government "just give us power and don't worry about jobs"
and then the government does get private monopolistic investors/coys in that do provide constant power but at astronomical prices plus taxes
you'll end up in almost the same situation as with the cost of your personal power generation.

And then everyone gets upset with the government

So, what really matters is deliberate policies and actions to achieve specific and inter related results
A rough example is that the government could have a guidance that the price of energy should ordinarily not be more than 20% of the average earning power of Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 12:08pm On Apr 09, 2015
Pavore9:

Let us assume l open up a butchery which requires electricity to preserve the meat, l would certainly need workers.
Push this further

So if the central electricity is supplied by Dangote et al and it costs almost as much as your generator, would you still use it to preserve your meat?
would you then employ workers?
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 12:09pm On Apr 09, 2015
emiye:
you are the naive one.
Children shouldn't speak when elders speak you know
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 12:12pm On Apr 09, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

Don't bother yourself with that half-baked analysis. Perhaps, the op is blind to factories closing down, laying off workers and relocating elsewhere! The money you spend to fuel your generator has alternative uses: it could be saved or invested or better still stimulate demand for other goods and services! SMH at the op!

grow up
Factories relocate or close only if they are not making profits or if some other environment is more conducive for business
Does Shell complain about electricity?

the aim of my article is simply to do away with simplistic reasoning like yours
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Pavore9: 12:23pm On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

Push this further

So if the central electricity is supplied by Dangote et al and it costs almost as much as your generator, would you still use it to preserve your meat?

If you are in such business you must preserve it or it gets rotten. if the cost of electricity from the power company is same as running my generator l will still go for the power company as l do not have to deal with pollution and noise associated with generators. l do believe there are severally ways through which the cost of electricity supplied can be lowered.

1 Like

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by esere826: 12:32pm On Apr 09, 2015
Pavore9:

If you are in such business you must preserve it or it gets rotten. if the cost of electricity from the power company is same as running my generator l will still go for the power company as l do not have to deal with pollution and noise associated with generators. l do believe there are severally ways through which the cost of electricity supplied can be lowered.

I think you and I are chiming now

Environmental and noise pollution aside, you can see that electricity is electricity and the source has little or nothing to do with job creation.
One of the crucial factors is the cost of the source electricity relative to one's or a company's income/revenue.

In essence, job creation is a science on its own that needs the government to have a purposeful strategy
folks screaming to the govt: "give us electricity and don't worry about jobs" are being too simplistic on how things work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by kcjazz(m): 12:39pm On Apr 09, 2015
Are "flexible energy" sources healthier? Have you considered lost man power hours due to illness? Do you also know that respiratory illnesses are one of the highest in Nigeria? The costs cannot be justified in any way for generators. Alternative like PHCN are cheaper.

If the cost of doing business is high factories will close. At night I need security lights on, I only have a 15kva generator. I don't have the grid light. At low productivity, now I run my generator overnight to keep the fridge on and for security. It burns fuel irrespective of the capacity. Pollutes the environment as well.

Phcn and their likes all over the world are monopolies because of the infrastructure costs, prices come down based on scale. The only way generators can be cheaper is if they are all connected to the grid and excess capacities shared among consumers. That is not possible.

Companies should consider alternative sources like solar to cut costs
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by omenka(m): 12:50pm On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

Good debate
I probably need to set the context but that might be too long and complex.

In summary, I'm saying something like this:
If you guys say to the government "just give us power and don't worry about jobs"
and then the government does get private monopolistic investors/coys in that do provide constant power but at astronomical prices plus taxes
you'll end up in almost the same situation as with the cost of your personal power generation.

And then everyone gets upset with the government

So, what really matters is deliberate policies and actions to achieve specific and inter related results
A rough example is that the government could have a guidance that the price of energy should ordinarily not be more than 20% of the average earning power of Nigerians
It would be foolhardy for Government to deregulate (privatise) and then regulate prices as well. What I believe is, with sincerity, the success in the telecoms sector can be replicated in the power sector. As long as there isn't monopoly, competition would naturally take care of the cost of services provided.

There is no way one can argue for running businesses on generators in preference to sustenance of businesses on public power supply.
Re: Does Government Providing Electricity Automatically Equate to Job Creation? by Pavore9: 12:50pm On Apr 09, 2015
esere826:

I think you and I are chiming now

Environmental and noise pollution aside, you can see that electricity is electricity and the source has little or nothing to do with job creation.
One of the crucial factors is the cost of the source electricity relative to one's or a company's income/revenue.

In essence, job creation is a science on its own that needs the government to have a purposeful strategy
folks screaming to the govt: "give us electricity and don't worry about jobs" are being too simplistic on how things work

l live in Nairobi and have 24hrs access to electricity and my monthly electricity bill is not even up yo N1,000 but l know how high my productivity have been. My brother in Lagos is into production and his edge is that his machines do not requires electricity though manual even a 7 year old can operate it. For every of the machine he imports from the U.S for just N80,000 (which is the cost of some people's phone) he employs 2 Nigerians and his finished products he exports to Kenya at a shipping cost of N740 per kilo, l feel happy to see that what he produces in Lagos is highly regarded here in Kenya! cool

We also have to look into energy source, l have understudied many farms here in Kenya that generate some of the power they use in the farms from waste generated from the farms thus reducing cost of production.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shekau Has Finished His Business / BREAKING!!! Tension As Popular PDP Chieftain Emerges INEC Returning Officer / Andy Uba Fumes Ask Politicians He Bought To Return Back His Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.