Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,798 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Igbo Dialects - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Dialects (39511 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / List Of Yoruba Dialects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Dialects by nedu210(m): 9:58am On Nov 29, 2011
who took the money i kept in my bag, i took it, i thought i was the person u kept it for. Bekee.  N'tii onye woolu ego'm dusalu na ekpa'm, o'mu woolu e, eche'm sho m bu ihe idusalu'i.  Ugbo.   Kedu onye weelu ego'm dowelu na akpa'm,  o'mu wa welu ya, eche'm ka omuwa ka idobelu or idowelu ya.  Central igbo spoken in enugu.
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 1:09pm On Nov 29, 2011
Is there a Northern central Igbo and a Southern central Igbo?
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 1:40pm On Nov 29, 2011
odumchi:

Is there a Northern central Igbo and a Southern central Igbo?
Onitsha/Enugu 'commercial' dialect - Northern Central Igbo
Owerri/Aba/Umuahia 'commercial' dialect - Southern Central Igbo
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 9:42pm On Nov 29, 2011
Oh ok. This refers to spoken Igbo right? However, I am aware there is only one written Igbo.

And @topic I've noticed that we've yet to see any Ebonyi dialects.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 10:49pm On Nov 29, 2011
Some kind of Ebonyi (if I'm not mistaking. . . just regurgitating what I believe I heard).

Hello, how are you?
Jookwa, i me ekaa?

Do you want to eat now?
I choru iri nri ntanu?

What is your name?
Denu epha ngu?
Re: Igbo Dialects by pazienza(m): 11:15pm On Nov 29, 2011
Idemili dialect

gini bu afa yi (what is your name)
i choo ili nni kita (do u want to eat food now)

ke ka ime (how are you)
Re: Igbo Dialects by AndreUweh(m): 11:59pm On Nov 29, 2011
Where is Nuzo? He is from Ebonyi state. May be someone nice can p.m him about this thread.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 12:34am On Nov 30, 2011
odumchi:

Oh ok. This refers to spoken Igbo right? However, I am aware there is only one written Igbo.
People write those two 'commercial' dialects as well.
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 12:42am On Nov 30, 2011
@ Chinenye

Ah, I see. Thank you.

Andre Uweh:

Where is Nuzo? He is from Ebonyi state. May be someone nice can p.m him about this thread.

Lol nice try.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Afam4eva(m): 6:39am On Nov 30, 2011
@Chineye
The first sentence is not peculiar to Ebonyi. That's part of Nkanu Dialect.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 7:47am On Nov 30, 2011
afam4eva:

@Chineye
The first sentence is not peculiar to Ebonyi. That's part of Nkanu Dialect.
I'm not surprised. Expressions cut across state lines. After all, these states only came into existence in the last century, while many of these groups were founded at least 200 years prior to state creation.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Afam4eva(m): 11:06am On Nov 30, 2011
Enugu has a lot of similarities with the Abakaliki axis of Ebonyi.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 7:28am On Dec 01, 2011
afam4eva:

Enugu has a lot of similarities with the Abakaliki axis of Ebonyi.
I'd imagine so.

Elai

Hello, how are you?           Do you want to eat now?         What is your name?
Jookwa, i mere anu?          I chola iri tonwa?                      Gunu bu efia ghu?
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 2:29am On Dec 02, 2011
Which dialects generally use ofu, otu and olu?

I'm well aware that the majority of Delta, Enugu and Anambra say Ofu, Ngwa and other parts of Abia and Imo say Otu, and parts of Northern Abia say olu. However, in which areas are each strongest?
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 4:36am On Dec 02, 2011
I think you basically answered your own question, unless of course I'm not understanding.
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 1:37pm On Dec 02, 2011
What I'm asking is where are the distinctions drawn? Like where does use of otu end and use of ofu begin? Is it possible to find an "otu/olu" speaking people in Anambra or Delta? And vise versa.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 2:48pm On Dec 02, 2011
Oh okay. Well, I think those words are regional. You cannot really point to a community and say, "Otu starts here, and ends there". The distinctions can only be drawn at best in relation to a region. Otu is generally used within the southern region. Ofu, northern and western; etc. etc. So, the idea of seeing "ofu" in an "otu" zone, seems unlikely.
Re: Igbo Dialects by nedu210(m): 5:09pm On Dec 02, 2011
otu or ofu is not peculiar to north, south or west cos u can see ppl in the north say otu and some ofu so as in the south but i dont knw for the west. In my vila we say ofu but in my dialect we say nnaa, u my not pronounce it well but dat is the spellin.  N-naa.  N'naa.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 5:20pm On Dec 02, 2011
What is your dialect (name) or who are your people, nedu?
Re: Igbo Dialects by nedu210(m): 5:37pm On Dec 02, 2011
@chinenyeN, we ar IGBO from state of enugu awgu l.g.a, we speak UGBO dialect which is southern mbanabor dialect.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 5:51pm On Dec 02, 2011
Awgu LGA, that's mainly what I wanted to find out. Alright, thank you.
Re: Igbo Dialects by nedu210(m): 7:31pm On Dec 02, 2011
u equaly hav 2 note dat all awgu do not speak the same dialect, awgu north which are the mbanabors speak UGBO/OWELLI dialect in the south while the north speak IHE/AGBOGUGU dialect.
KA CHINEKE MEZIE OKWU.
Re: Igbo Dialects by pazienza(m): 7:37pm On Dec 02, 2011
odumchi:

Which dialects generally use ofu, otu and olu?

I'm well aware that the majority of Delta, Enugu and Anambra say Ofu, Ngwa and other parts of Abia and Imo say Otu, and parts of Northern Abia say olu. However, in which areas are each strongest?

I think some towns in umunneochi lga of abia says OHU.
I think nkanu people say ohu and nna,afam will need to clarify that.
Re: Igbo Dialects by pazienza(m): 7:44pm On Dec 02, 2011
nedu210:

u equaly hav 2 note dat all awgu do not speak the same dialect, awgu north which are the mbanabors speak UGBO/OWELLI dialect in the south while the north speak IHE/AGBOGUGU dialect.
KA CHINEKE MEZIE OKWU.

is there a clan named ugbo in Agwu? i ve never heard of it before,what i 've heard of is towns like Ituku,Isuawa,Ogbaku,Agbaogwugwu,ihe,agwu town,Mmaku,Mgbo,Ugwueke.
Re: Igbo Dialects by nedu210(m): 9:18pm On Dec 02, 2011
ar u from awgu? Yes there is, UGBO is in northern part of awgu, south of mbanabor, bounded by owelli to the north, amaoli to the east, west by ogugu and mmaku, and south by obeagu. Member house of reps, representing awgu aninri and oji river is frm the town.
Re: Igbo Dialects by pazienza(m): 9:31pm On Dec 02, 2011
@nedu. U are right,my friend confirmed your story.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 10:17pm On Dec 02, 2011
nedu210:

KA CHINEKE MEZIE OKWU.
I understand. Thank you.
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 10:23pm On Dec 02, 2011
Everyone, thanks for all of your responses.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 10:26pm On Dec 02, 2011
So, have we exhausted the number of lectal/dialectal representatives here on NL?

Aro
Isinweke
Ugbo
Onicha
Abiriba
Owere
Item
Agbor
Nsuka***
[some place in Enugu; Afam didn't specify]
Ikwere
Riverine/Ukwuani/Oguta/Oru
Idemili
Elai

***Is Nsuka an actual group or just some name for an area?
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:27pm On Dec 02, 2011
Bia ada ide, you of all people should know that Anambra dont say "nri" as in food. And you call yourself ''ADA IDE". Do you even know what ada ide means ?
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:41pm On Dec 02, 2011
look ADA IDE ,YOU SIMPLY DONT HAVE THE SLIGHTEST KNOWLEDGE OF ANAMBRA DIALECTS. WE THE ANAMBRARIANS HARDLY USES "R" IN OUR WORDS!! WE USE "L" INSTEAD. AND THATS WHY SOME IMO PEOPLE SAY WE CALL RICE LICE, LOL
@PAZIENZA, NWANNE I BU NWAFOR IDENMILI!! OUR DIALECT IS CONSIDERED THE LIGHTEST IN THE TONGUE WHEN SPOKEN AND ONE OF THE MAIN REASON IS BECAUSE WE DONT USE "R'!!
Anambra says bia lie nni just like Pazienza stated and not bia rie nri!!

I honestly think the so called CENTRAL IGBO should be reviewed. Alot of words and alphabets needs to be CHANGED!!
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:59pm On Dec 02, 2011
Idenmili where my humble self came from says; kedu ife na eme gi- what is wrong with you.

achoom ina kitaa- I need to go now.

kedu afa gi ?-whats your name ?

udene lie ozu gi(my uncles favourite curse)-may the vulture eat your corpse

ibili kam bili-live and let live.

ka ayi jee olu-lets go to work.

obi agbawaa mu-my heart is broken.

kedu ka osi gbasa gi-how does it concerns you.

kee mgbe iga elute-when will you arrive.

okaa omee-he who keeps his promises.

ife gi asogbugo mu-i love your way.

agboo-young woman

anam abia-i am coming.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Man Carrying A Live Crocodile On His Back At A Festival In Kano (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi And Olugbo Akinruntan In Supremacy Battle / Huge Crowd At Osun-Osogbo Festival (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.