Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,776 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

Igbo Dialects - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Dialects (39438 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / List Of Yoruba Dialects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Dialects by freecocoa(f): 6:00am On Dec 04, 2011
Awka
How are you?
Kedu ka imelu?

Do you want to eat now?
Icholu ili nli vaa?

What's your name?
Kee ava yii?

You are being called.
Ana eku yi.

Come here.
Bia ika.

Where are you?
Kedu ika inoo.

Let's go there
Ka anyi jee ne'ewu.

You speak the truth.
Nnene okwu ka ikwulu.

Let me stop here for now.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 6:03am On Dec 04, 2011
Updated List

Aro
Isinweke
Ugbo
Onicha
Abiriba
Owere
Item
Agbor
Nsuka
Nkanu
Ikwere
Riverine/Ukwuani/Oguta/Oru
Idemili
Elai
Isiala Mbano
Ohafia
Ututu
Awka
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:09am On Dec 04, 2011
Core Umuoji; chida ka ichii-chii - Get down and walk a little. Often used when refering to a woman who is trying to tell a child she has on her back to "get down and walk a little“. Igbo language pass MAN!!
Re: Igbo Dialects by asha80(m): 7:27am On Dec 04, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Seriously? How do you not know your own dialect?

two of us are in the same boat.i can understand my dailect but cannot speak it.i do not speak any dialect in particular.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Chyz2: 7:47am On Dec 04, 2011
Eheh Nwoke Ukwuani abiala. Chyz represent your people. Cool

Hello How are you!- Mbene ni?

Do you want to eat food- I choni li nli?

^^^ I've tried. I'm still trying to get a grasp on Ukwuani. I speak Mbaise/Ngwa. . .even that's getting diluted,lol. cool
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 7:55am On Dec 04, 2011
asha 80:

two of us are in the same boat.i can understand my dailect but cannot speak it.i do not speak any dialect in particular.
I'm surprised really. How common is it for people to understand but not speak their dialect?

Chyz*:

^^^ I've tried. I'm still trying to get a grasp on Ukwuani. I speak Mbaise/Ngwa. . .even that's getting diluted,lol. cool
You speak Ngwa . . . ?
Re: Igbo Dialects by Chyz2: 8:00am On Dec 04, 2011
ChinenyeN:

You speak Ngwa . . . ?

Surprising aint it,lol? Chinenye we are kin. I will not reveal everything about me but I will put out hints bit by bit. cool
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 8:27am On Dec 04, 2011
Chyz*:

Surprising aint it,lol? Chinenye we are kin. I will not reveal everything about me but I will put out hints bit by bit. cool
How do you know if you speak Ngwa? I'd like confirmation; an exhibition of some kind.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Chyz2: 8:37am On Dec 04, 2011
ChinenyeN:

How do you know if you speak Ngwa?

I could go on for days but later on down the line u and the others shall see wonders bit by bit lipsrsealed. I hope you can recall some time back about me attending the Ngwa convention thingy last year. It was for a reason, personal not business grin
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 8:50am On Dec 04, 2011
So you actually were there. . . Alright then; fine.
Re: Igbo Dialects by nedu210(m): 10:08am On Dec 04, 2011
@odumchi am from AWGU
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 4:26pm On Dec 04, 2011
Chyz*:

ChinenyeN:

I'm surprised really. How common is it for people to understand but not speak their dialect?
You speak Ngwa . . . ?

Umu Nwga gbakoooor! grin
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 4:34pm On Dec 04, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Seriously? How do you not know your own dialect?

Come to think of it, it's better than understanding Igbo but not being able to speak it.
Anyway, his case isn't that pecuiliar. An Owerre kid who was raised in Nnewi will most likely speak Idemilli and vise versa. I have a relative who has lived in Aba so long that all he speaks now is Ngwa.

I remember last time we met, most of what he spoke sounded like gibberish. I felt like saying, "Man, abeg just speak English to me." lol  grin
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 4:41pm On Dec 04, 2011
nedu210:

@odumchi am from AWGU

Oh ok. So now I understand the Wawa thing. People refered to Enugites as Wawa so much that I was beginning to think they were a clan.
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:07pm On Dec 04, 2011
Umuoji,Idenmili Igbo dialect.
Rice
Osikapa

Akwa alili
Sorrowful cry

Gbado anya
Be commited

Nma a nata uno oge na etelo aka
I will be visiting homs very soon

Gini ka I na acho na ubim?
What are you doing in my farm?

Guguo nwa na ebe akwa.
Console the crying child.

Kee ife gbagwojulu I anya ?
Why are you confusec?

I bu onye ulu(core undiluted Idenmili-Umuoji)
You are a thief.

Ose na esie.
He is having a seizure.

Nwaa na ese iru.
She makes sexy faces.

Uzoaa di wala-wala.
This road is narrow.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 7:43pm On Dec 04, 2011
odumchi:

Umu Nwga gbakoooor! grin
Chyz isn't Ngwa. He's Ukwuani, with a mother from Mbaise.

odumchi:

Come to think of it, it's better than understanding Igbo but not being able to speak it.
Anyway, his case isn't that pecuiliar. An Owerre kid who was raised in Nnewi will most likely speak Idemilli and vise versa.
I guess I can understand it, if you put it that way, though it still in some way seems odd to me.

odumchi:

I have a relative who have lived in Aba so long that all he speaks now is Ngwa.
I remember last time we met, most of what he spoke sounded like gibberish. I felt like saying, "Man, abeg just speak English to me." lol  grin
cheesy So you weren't understanding the things he was saying?
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 7:56pm On Dec 04, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Chyz isn't Ngwa. He's Ukwuani, with a mother from Mbaise.
I guess I can understand it, if you put it that way, though it still in some way seems odd to me.
cheesy So you weren't understanding the things he was saying?

Who knows, if you trace your lineages back a few generations, you guys might find a common ancestral group.

And yes at first I could barely understand him partly because he was one of those guys that spoke fast. However, as I grew accustomed to it, I was able to understand.
Re: Igbo Dialects by AndreUweh(m): 8:34pm On Dec 04, 2011
Ila ghu-ghu-ghu: Isinweke
Central Igbo: Ise Uwa
English, bitter and depressed
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 10:10pm On Dec 04, 2011
@Odumchi; we'd have to go back pretty far to find that haha; Anyway it's cool you've got some familiarity with Ngwa, which means I only need to hose down my speech to communicate with you.
Re: Igbo Dialects by AndreUweh(m): 10:15pm On Dec 04, 2011
I choro iri nri-central Igbo.
Do you want to eat?.-english.
Isinweke--i tughe iri nri or itughe i yo nri. Others also say, i choro i yo nri.
Re: Igbo Dialects by pazienza(m): 2:23am On Dec 05, 2011
@Nri priest

You are right,we equally use ngoli for happiness in Ogidi,example: fa na egoli -they are rejoicing.

Of course there is only one Inwelle in Idemili,yeah,ONICHA ETEKA BU MAKA OGIDI- onicha is too far because of Ogidi.
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 4:11am On Dec 05, 2011
ChinenyeN:

@Odumchi; we'd have to go back pretty far to find that haha; Anyway it's cool you've got some familiarity with Ngwa, which means I only need to hose down my speech to communicate with you.

lol yep.
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 5:35am On Dec 05, 2011
Andre Uweh:

I choro iri nri-central Igbo.
Do you want to eat?.-english.
Isinweke--i tughe iri nri or itughe i yo nri. Others also say, i choro i yo nri.

If I didn't know better I'd say it sounds like "do you want to beg for food?" grin
Re: Igbo Dialects by AndreUweh(m): 8:56pm On Dec 05, 2011
odumchi:

If I didn't know better I'd say it sounds like "do you want to beg for food?" grin
I choro i yo nri actually means do you want to swallow food (mostly akpu, gari, utara ji, utara ede and other swallows).
But now, it is commonly used as do you want to eat.
In Isinweke, i yo nri is i lo nri in central Igbo.
Y usually replaces L in Isinweke. E.g we say Uyo instead of ulo (house)
Some of our names in Isinweke goes as Ayozie instead of Alozie.
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 2:03am On Dec 06, 2011
Andre Uweh:

I choro i yo nri actually means do you want to swallow food (mostly akpu, gari, utara ji, utara ede and other swallows).
But now, it is commonly used as do you want to eat.
In Isinweke, i yo nri is i lo nri in central Igbo.
Y usually replaces L in Isinweke. E.g we say Uyo instead of ulo (house)
Some of our names in Isinweke goes as Ayozie instead of Alozie.

Interesting. I never knew that.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Obiagu1(m): 2:36am On Dec 06, 2011
odumchi:

If I didn't know better I'd say it sounds like "do you want to beg for food?"  grin

I think the "o" in "yo" is pronunced as "ou" rather than "aw".

Y(aw) would be to beg whereas y(ou) is to swallow.

To swallow in other dialects are "no" and "ro".
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 11:19pm On Dec 06, 2011
Obiagu1:

I think the "o" in "yo" is pronunced as "ou" rather than "aw".

Y(aw) would be to beg whereas y(ou) is to swallow.

To swallow in other dialects are "no" and "ro".

Lol I understand. It's just that without the inflection marks, it could mean beg.
Re: Igbo Dialects by wesley80(m): 11:21pm On Dec 06, 2011
Chyz*:

Hello How are you!- Mbene ni?

Do you want to eat food- I choni li nli?

Onye isi ekete how does 'mbene ni' translate to 'how are you'? So what does 'dele odi' as Ukwuani's speak or 'kalri ele odi' as Aboh/Ndoni people speak mean? Mbene ni simply means 'I thank you all'
If its to make dumb and silly assertions you go sabi, speak your own language you dey zuzu.

@Topic,
Brb.
Re: Igbo Dialects by wesley80(m): 12:10am On Dec 07, 2011
Sorrowful cry has gone/ended
Ukwuani - Ekwa alili ana
Aboh/Ndoni - Akwa alrilri ana

Wont you eat?
Ukwuani - ye ke li?
Aboh/Ndoni - e jeke lri?

She came to eat
Aboh - Obianibelri (used to be my sisters name but the last time I saw her document, her name had morphed into Obiageli! I asked her why and she simply said it was easier on the tongue, well I couldnt really fault her choice cos just as my parents would refer to God as Oliseh Osobulue my generation would simply end the discussion at 'Chukwu' and communication would be guaranteed. The gradual fusion and 'corruption' of languages seems pretty much undeniable.
Re: Igbo Dialects by AndreUweh(m): 12:28am On Dec 07, 2011
wesley80:

Ukwuani - Ekwa alili ana

Wont you eat?
Ukwuani - ye ke li?
Aboh/Ndoni - e jeke lri?

She came to eat
Aboh - Obianibelri (used to be my sisters name but the last time I saw her document, her name had morphed into Obiageli! I asked her why and she simply said it was easier on the tongue, well I couldnt really fault her choice cos just as my parents would refer to God as Oliseh Osobulue my generation would simply end the discussion at 'Chukwu' and communication would be guaranteed. The gradual fusion and 'corruption' of languages seems pretty much undeniable.
Nice contribution, more please.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Obiagu1(m): 12:45am On Dec 07, 2011
wesley80:

Ukwuani - Ekwa alili ana

Wont you eat?
Ukwuani - ye ke li?
Aboh/Ndoni - e jeke lri?

She came to eat

LMAO @ the boldface.

Sorrowful cry has gone in Igbo should have a prefix after "ana" to have exactly the same meaning as "has gone" if I'm correct.

Ekwa alili ana (*). In Anambra it is "Akwa alili anago".

In Anambra, Oliseh Osobulue is Olisabuluwa (I don't know the origin though, probably from Onitcha)
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 12:58am On Dec 07, 2011
wesley80:

Ukwuani - Ekwa alili ana

Wont you eat?
Ukwuani - ye ke li?
Aboh/Ndoni - e jeke lri?

She came to eat

I agree with Andre. It's very, very interesting.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Naming Ceremony Of Alaafin Of Oyo's Twins With Memunat (Photos) / History Of Families In Lagos / The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.