Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Igbo Dialects - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Dialects (39498 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / List Of Yoruba Dialects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 6:00am On Dec 23, 2011
Theoretically, these are only half of the dialects in Igboland. Its surprising that we haven't seen Izza and Ezza.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Nobody: 2:13pm On Dec 23, 2011
Is Isu/Isuama a dialect of Igbo or a clan name? I heard the first Bible in Igboland was an Isuama Bible. How come no one mentioned it?
Re: Igbo Dialects by Afam4eva(m): 2:45pm On Dec 23, 2011
I can tell you that about 70% of Igbo dialects are unaccounted for on this thread. The dialects of the Ndoni and Ndoki people. What about Nsukka, Ezza, Ahoada etc.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 3:52pm On Dec 23, 2011
Ndoni is accounted for.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 4:02pm On Dec 23, 2011
mbatuku2:

Is Isu/Isuama a dialect of Igbo or a clan name? I heard the first Bible in Igboland was an Isuama Bible. How come no one mentioned it?
Isu is the 'clan' and the 'clan lect'. It is said that the people that make up much of northern Imo, parts of Anambra, northern tip of Abia, and I think some Enugu are Isu or Isu-derived.
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:34pm On Dec 23, 2011
mbatuku2:

The first Igbo bible was written in Isuama Igbo ?? Where did you get that from and what does Isuama Igbo sound like
The other day somebody said it was Ndoni Igbo that was first used to write the bible !!! I will not say anything until I hear my brethren responses regarding TOSHMAN'S post.
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:36pm On Dec 23, 2011
I mean Mbatuku and not Toshman.
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 6:39pm On Dec 23, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

The first Igbo bible was written in Isuama Igbo ?? Where did you get that from and what does Isuama Igbo sound like
The other day somebody said it was Ndoni Igbo that was first used to write the bible !!! I will not say anything until I hear my brethren responses regarding TOSHMAN'S  post.

What difference does it make? Whether Idemilli, Ika, Onicha or Isuama does it really matter? As long as it's Igbo. O'boy, this household rivalry is getting boring.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Afam4eva(m): 6:40pm On Dec 23, 2011
odumchi:

What difference does it make? Whether Idemilli, Ika, Onicha or Isuama does it really matter? As long as ita Igbo. O'boy, this household rivalry is getting boring.

This is hardly a rivavlry. We just want to set the records straight.
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:53pm On Dec 23, 2011
odumchi:

What difference does it make? Whether Idemilli, Ika, Onicha or Isuama does it really matter? As long as it's Igbo. O'boy, this household rivalry is getting boring.

Odumchi, firstly I am a die hard Igbo and it reeks from my pores,hence, I have no intention nor a reason to create division among my Igbo brothers, mana onye fu eziokwu nya kwue ya. I am sure if I come here and say Anambra/Enugu Igbo was the Igbo used in writting the Igbo dictionary somebody will quickly correct me.
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 7:59pm On Dec 23, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Odumchi, firstly I am a die hard Igbo and it reeks from my pores,hence, I have no intention nor a reason to create division among my Igbo brothers, mana onye fu eziokwu nya kwue ya. I am sure if I come here and say Anambra/Enugu Igbo was the Igbo used in writting the Igbo dictionary somebody will quickly correct me.

Oh Ok
Re: Igbo Dialects by toshmann(m): 8:42pm On Dec 23, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

I mean Mbatuku and not Toshman.

A sim ka m juo ghu ihe postu m mere ghu.

Mana ka juodile, elee ete ayi shi bia na threadi zaga "Igbo dialect" asuga bekee?
Re: Igbo Dialects by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 23, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

The other day somebody said it was Ndoni Igbo that was first used to write the bible !!! I will not say anything until I hear my brethren responses regarding TOSHMAN'S post.

You are very funny. When did christianity reach Ndokiland? Talkless of having a bible?

Isuama Bible is the first Bible in Igbo, though the 'isuama' used was a messed-up Pidgin Isuama spoken by Sierra-loenean Igbos who had lost touch with their motherland for long periods.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 10:39pm On Dec 23, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

The other day somebody said it was Ndoni Igbo that was first used to write the bible !!!
mbatuku2:

You are very funny. When did christianity reach Ndokiland? Talkless of having a bible?

The first Bible translation is Union Igbo, [i]claimed [/i]to supposedly be a composition of (I think) 5 dialects from different culture-zones. Isuama is the first ever wordlist/dictionary. Onitsha is the first non-diaspora literary Igbo. Now, are we done?
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:48pm On Dec 23, 2011
toshmann:

A sim ka m juo ghu ihe postu m mere ghu.

Mana ka juodile, elee ete ayi shi bia na threadi zaga "Igbo dialect" asuga bekee?

Tochii,nwanne onwero ife melu gi. . .Igbo ndi Ekwuluobia I na ede ikaa agbarom ghali!! Aghotalum ive nine I na ede ikaa. . . Umu nwanne-nnem bu ndi Isuofia,anam ejekwa ezumike ma ayi mechie akwukwo mgbe afu.
Nya bu na ide asusu Igbo anyirom. Ndewo.
Re: Igbo Dialects by AndreUweh(m): 10:54pm On Dec 23, 2011
ChinenyeN:

The first Bible translation is Union Igbo, [i]claimed [/i]to supposedly be a composition of (I think) 5 dialects from different culture-zones. Isuama is the first ever wordlist/dictionary. Onitsha is the first non-diaspora literary Igbo. Now, are we done?
Chinenye, you are correct.
At the first Igbo language conference at Asaba in 1907, four dialects were recommended for Fr Dennis e.g Isuama, Afikpo, Bonny and Onitsha so that he can choose one, but instead of going for one of them, Fr Dennis used all the four in translating the Igbo bible.
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:20pm On Dec 23, 2011
mbatuku2:

Isuama Bible is the first Bible in Igbo, though the 'isuama' used was a messed-up Pidgin Isuama spoken by Sierra-loenean Igbos who had lost touch with their motherland for long periods.

This your Isuama Igbo bible,was it written based on the dialects of the Isuamas who were residing in Nigeria at the time of the said translation?
Was this your Isuama Igbo bible written on the little knowledge of some few Isuamas who were sold into slavery and moved to the coast of siera-leon,who must have mixed their Igbo with other existing languages in the slave camp,hence,making that Igbo impossible for those in the hinterland to recognize nor read it ?
Again,was this your Isuama Igbo bible used in Igbo land,and if so,where and where was it used ?
Have you read the Isuama Igbo bible ?
How come the the Igbo I was taught to read the bible in,cathecism books in,hynm books in,all the catholic booklets in where mostly the same Igbo my parents spoke to me in(Idenmili/Onicha dialects). How come the Igbo bible which my late grand mother(Iyom Oyagulu) who died in 1991 at 83yrs  had wasnt written in the UNION IGBO nor the ISUAMA IGBO.  Note; the old bible has been in my house for over 40yrs before her death!! How come I never  come across this Isuama Igbo bible nor the Union Igbo version?
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 11:40pm On Dec 23, 2011
The argument is over.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Obiagu1(m): 6:32am On Dec 24, 2011
@ NRI PRIEST, I don't think Idemili is a dialect on its own because what you speak is what almost everyone along Njikoka and Anaocha areas speak.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Obiagu1(m): 6:34am On Dec 24, 2011
@ those arguing over Igbo bible, the first Igbo bible written was Bonny(Ubani) Igbo followed by Onitsha Igbo.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 7:05am On Dec 24, 2011
Obiagu1:

@ those arguing over Igbo bible, the first Igbo bible written was Bonny(Ubani) Igbo followed by Onitsha Igbo.
The first Igbo Bible was not Bonny. It was what the CMS (Catholic Missionary Society) dubbed as "Union Igbo" (though everyone knows it was basically Onitsha).
Re: Igbo Dialects by Nobody: 8:24am On Dec 24, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

This your Isuama Igbo bible,was it written based on the dialects of the Isuamas who were residing in Nigeria at the time of the said translation?
Was this your Isuama Igbo bible written on the little knowledge of some few Isuamas who were sold into slavery and moved to the coast of siera-leon,who must have mixed their Igbo with other existing languages in the slave camp,hence,making that Igbo impossible for those in the hinterland to recognize nor read it ?
Again,was this your Isuama Igbo bible used in Igbo land,and if so,where and where was it used ?
Have you read the Isuama Igbo bible ?
How come the the Igbo I was taught to read the bible in,cathecism books in,hynm books in,all the catholic booklets in where mostly the same Igbo my parents spoke to me in(Idenmili/Onicha dialects). How come the Igbo bible which my late grand mother(Iyom Oyagulu) who died in 1991 at 83yrs  had wasnt written in the UNION IGBO nor the ISUAMA IGBO.  Note; the old bible has been in my house for over 40yrs before her death!! How come I never  come across this Isuama Igbo bible nor the Union Igbo version?

Your problem is that you dont take your time to read and understand. Did you not see that the 'isuama' was in quote? And that I also said that the dialect was a messed-up version of Isuama dialect?
Re: Igbo Dialects by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 24, 2011
Obiagu1:

Umunnem, the first Igbo Bible was a 'isuama' Bible(which was a messed up dialect of isuama, bonny, etc spoken by sierra loenean Igbo ex-slaves) in 1861, followed by the Union Ibo Bible.

I dont want to provide all the details for a reason, but if you can get the book
'The Foundations of Igbo Studies' by Louis Nnamdi Oraka. The details are there.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Nobody: 8:55am On Dec 24, 2011
ChinenyeN:

The first Igbo Bible was not Bonny. It was what the CMS (Catholic Missionary Society) dubbed as "Union Igbo" (though everyone knows it was basically Onitsha).

I strongly doubt your words in bold above, since after the 'Isuama' disaster, the CMS vowed never to use one particular dialect to write an Igbo Bible again, after realizing the diverse nature of Igbo languages.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Obiagu1(m): 9:30am On Dec 24, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Sorry, the first Igbo bible was the "mysterious" Isuama version, followed by the Onitsha version, followed by the Bonny version, and followed by the Union Igbo version (basically Owerre but with great modifications).
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 3:26pm On Dec 24, 2011
mbatuku2:

I strongly doubt your words in bold above, since after the 'Isuama' disaster, the CMS vowed never to use one particular dialect to write an Igbo Bible again, after realizing the diverse nature of Igbo languages.
Obiagu1:

Sorry, the first Igbo bible was the "mysterious" Isuama version, followed by the Onitsha version, followed by the Bonny version, and followed by the Union Igbo version (basically Owerre but with great modifications).

I don't even have time to argue so much about Igbo that I don't even speak. So I'll just say this.
**and make some corrections as well, to certain things I stated earlier**

1. I did make a mistake in one of the things I wrote, confusing Church Missionary Society (CMS) for Roman Catholic Missionary (RCM). The Onitsha Bible was RCM. CMS was Union. RCM's Onitsha Bible only existed because RCM didn't want to use CMS's Union.

2. The first Igbo Bible (Onitsha) was produced during the Union Igbo era. Before then, there was no Bible-producing/writing, but there were Bible translations, which had since been ongoing in both Onitsha and Bonny.

3. Owerri shows up in the SPILC Izugbe (said to be Umuahia and Owerri); the now 'Standard Igbo'.

4. Isuama never had a Bible produced, but they had extensive word-lists and dictionaries.
Re: Igbo Dialects by AndreUweh(m): 3:39pm On Dec 24, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I don't even have time to argue so much about Igbo that I don't even speak. So I'll just say this.
**and make some corrections as well, to certain things I stated earlier**

1. I did make a mistake in one of the things I wrote, confusing Church Missionary Society (CMS) for Roman Catholic Missionary (RCM). The Onitsha Bible was RCM. CMS was Union. RCM's Onitsha Bible only existed because RCM didn't want to use CMS's Union.

2. The first Igbo Bible (Onitsha) was produced during the Union Igbo era. Before then, there was no Bible-producing/writing, but there were Bible translations, which had since been ongoing in both Onitsha and Bonny.

3. Owerri shows up in the SPILC Izugbe (said to be Umuahia and Owerri); the now 'Standard Igbo'.

4. Isuama never had a Bible produced, but they had extensive word-lists and dictionaries.
O.K, is it Efik, Ibibio, Yoruba, Hausa, Nupe, Urhobo that you speak in relation to the bolded part?.
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 4:08pm On Dec 24, 2011
Are you serious Andre? This their argument is about the Igbo used to write the Bible. Whatever it is, I don't speak it. It is Igbo that I don't speak. Use your head.

Anyway, I'm done with this Igbo Bible argument. Whenever you all are ready to continue populating the below list, you let me know.

Aro
Isinweke
Ugbo
Onicha
Abiriba
Owere
Item
Agbor
Nsuka
Nkanu
Ikwere
Riverine/Ukwuani/Oguta/Oru
Idemili
Elai
Isiala Mbano
Ohafia
Ututu
Awka
Aboh ni Ndoni
Ihechiowa
Arondizuogu
Mbaise
Re: Igbo Dialects by Obiagu1(m): 5:44pm On Dec 24, 2011
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 5:57pm On Dec 24, 2011
I take it the arguments are done. So, we can continue.
Much of the south and central region is still unaccounted for in that list, and the east region has the heaviest presence so far.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Nobody: 6:23pm On Dec 24, 2011
Life and times of John
Christopher Taylor

John Christopher Taylor, was born around
the year 1815 in Sierra Leone of
Igbo parents (an Isuama father
and an Arochukwu mother), who
had earlier been sold into slavery
from the Igbo country of present
Nigeria, but were later rescued
and settled with other freed
slaves in Sierra Leone. He studied
at the Charlotte primary school
and at Fourah Bay College,
Freetown. Having grown up in
Sierra Leone, Taylor was
tremendously influenced by its
Christian environment.

The scene here was indeed quite
challenging. Earlier, with his
many assignments, Taylor was
working at his translations of the
Igbo language. By 1860, he
had rendered in the Isuama
(Owerri) dialect of Igbo, the four
gospels, Acts, Corinthians, and
Philemon.

All these factors seemed
to have created a defect in the
Igbo translation of the New
Testament
that he completed in
1866, and when the work was
submitted to the CMS, it was
severely criticized and returned
to him for revision. This made
him feel "entirely disheartened
and discouraged," if not angry.
On this account, he left the
mission in 1868 and returned to
Sierra Leone.

www.dacb.org/stories/nigeria/taylor_jc3.html
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:45pm On Dec 24, 2011
Obiagu1:

@ NRI PRIEST, I don't think Idemili is a dialect on its own because what you speak is what almost everyone along Njikoka and Anaocha areas speak.

You are very correct but I didnt mention those areas because I dont have have a thorogh understanding of their dialects. Idenmili,Onitsha,Njikoka,Oyi,Dunukofia,Ogbaru,Aguatta,Anaocha,Ayamelum and Anambra lga and some other lga I cant remenber now speak a very similar Igbo dialects; Nnewi,Ihiala,Ekwulobia,Awka and Orumba speak something very different from the group I mentioned earlier. Enuani Igbo in Delta also speak something very intelligible to the first group I mentioned with some difference.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Olugbo Akinruntan In Supremacy Battle / Man Carrying A Live Crocodile On His Back At A Festival In Kano (Photos) / Huge Crowd At Osun-Osogbo Festival (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.