Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,485 members, 7,954,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:13 AM

South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu (6029 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen: South-east Governors In Abuja Over Attacks / Abubakar Audu To Be Buried Monday As Wada Declares 7-day Mourning / Northern Governors Declare War On Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Onlytruth(m): 12:59am On Nov 29, 2011
[size=14pt]S’ East govs declare 7-day mourning, MASSOB Warns Nigeria On Non-violence[/size]
…His death will bring unity to Ndigbo –Uwazuruike
…Igboland, Nigeria in mourning mood –Gov Obi

From CHIDI NNADI and PETRUS OBI, Enugu
Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The stage is set for the commencement of a grand farewell to the late Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu with the declaration of a seven-day prayers and mourning, beginning from Thursday, December 1.

Ojukwu died last Saturday morning in a London hospital. He was flown out of the country on December 23 last year, following a stroke.
The prayer and mourning period was declared yesterday at a press conference addressed at the Casa Bianca, Enugu residence of the late Ikemba Nnewi, by the leader of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB), Chief Ralph Uwazuruike.

The prayer session was also endorsed by the Chairman, South-east Governors’ Forum and Anambra State Governor, Mr Peter Obi, who returned from London yesterday morning and arrived at Ojukwu’s house shortly after the conference ended.

“I just came back this morning, everybody is aware of his death. We are all in mourning mood, Igboland is in mourning mood, Nigeria is in mourning mood. He (Uwazuruike) declared prayers, which all must follow/ We need prayers for our leader, it is seven days of prayers and every Igbo person should support that,” Governor Obi said before he proceeded to Abuja to officially inform President Goodluck Jonathan of the demise of the Ezeigbo Gburugburu.

According to Uwazuruike, the mourning  would require the participation of all churches, irrespective of denominations, bishops, reverend fathers, traders, teachers, students, among others.
The MASSOB leader said Ojukwu lived for the masses, adding that “whatever concerns him, must be for the masses.”

He also ordered that condolence registers be opened on the premises of all Igbo organisations worldwide, disclosing that they had already opened condolence registers all over Nigeria, where MASSOB has its formations.

Uwazuruike also called on the Federal Government to use the death of Ojukwu to make amends as well as show the evidence of “No victor, No vanquished” declared by Gen. Yakubu Gowon shortly after the Nigeria-Biafra war ended.

“We have not seen that evidence since the war ended, Now that Ezeigbo is dead, they should seize the opportunity. Nigeria should give Igbos the same status being enjoyed by others by creating two additional states to compliment the five states in the South-east. 
“Secondly, they should show this evidence of ‘no victor, no vanquished’ by declaring the entire South-east a disaster area in terms of infrastructure,” he said.
The MASSOB leader warned that the people of the South-east were not cowards, saying “the boys are very angry.”

His words: “We know what is happening in Nigeria, that those who the government listens to are those who carry arms; there is something I will tell you that you don’t even know; the position of MASSOB being non-violence has been sustained by Ojukwu; he has always insisted that we must remain non-violent. But not many people know this; whenever there seems to be problems, he would call and warn me to make sure I did not depart from non-violence.”

“So, that’s why I am saying all these because Nigerians believe that because you carry guns or start throwing bombs, that you will be listened to. We are not cowards and if they remember whenever an Igbo man starts something, it takes a different dimension. We do not intend to go to that extent but the death of Odumegwu-Ojukwu, who has paid the price for the emancipation of the Igbo; if that is not enough for Nigeria, well, no problem.”

Uwazuruike also warned that the burial of Ezeigbo should not be politicised, insisting that he must be given the respect he deserved.
“We shall rather use his death to unite the whole Ndigbo; the death of Ojukwu will be the basis for the unity of the Igbo,” he said, even as he disclosed that there were plans to call a meeting in Ojukwu’s house shortly after his 78th birthday celebration held at his Enugu residence on November 4.

Uwazuruike was hopeful that Ojukwu upon his death and now in the spirit world would bring peace to the Igbo.
He said: “I believe that with the death of Ojukwu, the problems of Ndigbo have come to an end because our leader is now in the spirit world and Igbos would now receive support from that angle. Ojukwu has fought more than any other Igbo man dead or alive, for the unity and welfare of Ndigbo and now that he is dead, he will give us that support from the spirit world and nobody will marginalise Ndigbo again.”
He, therefore, urged Ndigbo not to open for business on the day their leader would be buried, adding that no date has been fixed for that.

“The final expectation from Nigeria is that they should immortalise Chief Odumegwu Ojukwu; that should be done immediately. The newspapers are awash, Ojukwu is this, he is that,because he is dead; the finest soldier, the most brilliant soldier, they knew all these things but how many barracks in Abuja bear Ojukwu’s name. Those who have such barracks, are they more intelligent than Ojukwu or did they contribute more to the army than Ojukwu? You see the discrimination I am talking about? So, we want to see that; how many streets in Abuja are named after Ojukwu?” He asked.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2011/nov/29/newsbreak-29-11-2011-001.html
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by AndreUweh(m): 1:04am On Nov 29, 2011
This is a welcomed idea. The entire old eastern region governors should do it at a go. When Ojukwu was made a governor, it was governor of the eastern region.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Onlytruth(m): 1:07am On Nov 29, 2011
Ojukwu's death is a huge opportunity for Nigeria to fix the past and secure the future, but I doubt that Nigeria is capable of higher thinking. Self deceit and delusion of having captured the East is what would likely prevail.
It appears that Ojukwu prevailed on MASSOB to remain non-violent.
Now that he is no more, frankly anything can happen.

The Nigerian authorities have all the powers to re-lay the foundations of Nigeria.
Igbo marginalization cannot continue under any guise.
Nuff said.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Onlytruth(m): 1:12am On Nov 29, 2011
Andre Uweh:

This is a welcomed idea. The entire old eastern region governors should do it at a go. When Ojukwu was made a governor, it was governor of the eastern region.

Frankly we are watching the body language of non-Igbo states in former Eastern region concerning the burial rites for Ojukwu. This is a great window for them (together with SE) to make bold statements about what the man meant to them and whether they are with us in the pursuit of more autonomy and self determination.
We are watching very closely! cool
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Beaf: 1:14am On Nov 29, 2011
Several places of massive importance to the country need to be named after Ojukwu. There also needs to be some sort of foundation thats fundamental to the development of the country in his honour.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Nchara: 1:16am On Nov 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

Ojukwu's death is a huge opportunity for Nigeria to fix the past and secure the future, but I doubt that Nigeria is capable of higher thinking. Self deceit and delusion of having captured the East is what would likely prevail.
It appears that Ojukwu prevailed on MASSOB to remain non-violent.
Now that he is no more, frankly anything can happen.

The Nigerian authorities has all the powers to re-lay the foundations of Nigeria.
Igbo marginalization cannot continue under any guise.
Nuff said.

Nigeria is no yet ready. Igbos should do their thing and move on. We should create a register online for condolence comments and if financial help is needed, we should organize to give what we can.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Obiagu1(m): 2:05am On Nov 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

His words: “We know what is happening in Nigeria, that those who the government listens to are those who carry arms; there is something I will tell you that you don’t even know; the position of MASSOB being non-violence has been sustained by Ojukwu; he has always insisted that we must remain non-violent. But not many people know this; whenever there seems to be problems, he would call and warn me to make sure I did not depart from non-violence.”

I've always suspected this.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by PointB: 2:45am On Nov 29, 2011
Ojukwu Memorial Park/Theme would not be out of place. Would love to visit such place.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Jenifa1: 2:52am On Nov 29, 2011
Beaf:

Several places of massive importance to the country need to be named after Ojukwu. There also needs to be some sort of foundation thats fundamental to the development of the country in his honour.

as if you do not see the contradiction.
what's up with the ambivalent choice of words though. wonder why you say "the country" instead of specifying "Nigeria" or "biafra"
what do you mean by "the country"?
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by jason123: 3:06am On Nov 29, 2011
There is nothing wrong with it.

Beaf:

[b]Several places of massive importance to the country need to be named after Ojukwu. [/b]There also needs to be some sort of foundation thats fundamental to the development of the country in his honour.

. . .And why is that? You must be joking. It's only in Nigeria were such things happen, whether his fight was just or not, a secessionist cannot be a national hero not to talk of a multiethnic country like Nigeria. Why aren't "several places of massive importance" named after Okotie-eboh or Ken wiwa or Akintola, even Fajuyi?
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Onlytruth(m): 8:09am On Nov 29, 2011
Per Uwazuruike's caution about politicizing Ojukwu's death and burial, Ojukwu's burial should reflect his core beliefs.
Whitewashing and spinning his beliefs won't cut it. He stood for certain things which are well understood.
The worst thing to do to him is to dub him some kind of a mainstream Nigerian politician.
HE WASN'T.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Onlytruth(m): 8:18am On Nov 29, 2011
jason123:

. .  .And why is that? You must be joking. It's only in Nigeria were such things happen, whether his fight was just or not, a secessionist cannot be a national hero not to talk of a multiethnic country like Nigeria. Why aren't "several places of massive importance" named after Okotie-eboh or Ken wiwa or Akintola, even Fajuyi?

I wouldn't even be comfortable with any attempts to make Ojukwu a Nigerian hero. He was a BIAFRAN hero.  cool
You can name your Nigerian places after Nigerians.
Ojukwu's monument should be somewhere in Enugu, Owerri, Umuahia( all past Biafran capital cities), or Nnewi(his home town). cool
We can also build his monuments in all parts of Igboland and the East (if non-Igbos want that). Nothing more nothing less.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Afam4eva(m): 8:25am On Nov 29, 2011
Let charity begin at home. Important streets and monements should the named after hm in the old eastern states. A foundaton should also be created in his name.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Nobody: 8:31am On Nov 29, 2011
The only thing I will call an "honour" for Ojukwu is the convocation of a National conference where we can sit down and negotaite Nigeria.

The "born to rules" and the "Jihadirsts" might double their energies in the quests, now that Ojukwu is gone.

A stich in time saves nine.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by dempeople(m): 8:36am On Nov 29, 2011
Brothers una well done o. I greet una with my hands up in the air. Long time.  

I suspect there would be many things that will unfold as a result of Ikemba's departure. Its highly possible we might see a highly militarized massob with powerful backings from some very important people in strategic points of government, academia, business and diaspora.

Only that this time around, I highly I doubt that the push would be for the disintegration of the country but rather, a highly negotiated advantageous circumstance for ndigbo and possibly, the rest of the eastern block and possibly Nigeria as a whole. If it leads to Nigeria's demise then fine. Perhaps Uwazurike has automatically filled the void of Ikemba by default.

We have a 'crazier' Ikemba in Uwazurike for sure though this time around, experience will play a big role.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Onlytruth(m): 8:36am On Nov 29, 2011
noblezone:

The only thing I will call an "honour" for Ojukwu is the convocation of a National conference where we can sit down and negotaite Nigeria.

The "born to rules" and the "Jihadirsts" might double their energies in the quests, now that Ojukwu is gone.

A stich in time saves nine.

I believe that is why Uwazuruike talked about non-violence principle which he said was Ojukwu's idea. Now that he is dead, MASSOB is no longer beholden to anyone. The greatest mistake of jihadists would be to try something funny in the immediate future hoping to cash in on Ojukwu's absence. I believe that is when a new Ikemba would emerge.  cool
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by nanidee(f): 8:46am On Nov 29, 2011
Well spoken by Uwazuruike, but trust the 'Nigerian' government to come in and try to quelch his words once again.

Going on and on saying "Ojukwu was great", "Ojukwu was this and that", bla bla bla isn't just enough. Why not put these words into action. Let's watch and see what will come out of his demise.

NOTE: all anti-igbo with nothing constructive should steer clear of this thread, because now that 'Ojukwu' has been mentioned, I trust some tribalistic monkeys to rush in here to spew trash. If y'all don't have anything meaningful to say, then pls go to the next Obj/Atiku/IBB/Gbenga Daniels thread, and leave Ndigbo to mourn their GREAT leader!!

Nuff said.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Baawaa(m): 10:17am On Nov 29, 2011
He deserves more than that
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 29, 2011
Farewell my Hero. We shall carry on from where you stopped. Adieu! Nna anyi.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Kay17: 10:23am On Nov 29, 2011
Ojukwu is just another African bloodsucker. Our leaders who are praising him are confused and misguided, and show the lack of direction in this country
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by manchy7531: 10:33am On Nov 29, 2011
Several places of massive importance to the country need to be named after Ojukwu

Let charity begin at home. Important streets and monements should the named after hm in the old eastern states. A foundaton should also be created in his name.

I wouldn't even be comfortable with any attempts to make Ojukwu a Nigerian hero. He was a BIAFRAN hero. Cool
Ojukwu's monument should be somewhere in Enugu, Owerri, Umuahia( all past Biafran capital cities), or Nnewi(his home town). Cool
We can also build his monuments in all parts of Igboland and the East (if non-Igbos want that). Nothing more nothing less.

my cousin told me Rochas was already building a park to be named hero's(Ojukwu) square in Owerri even before he was dead
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by chakula: 10:56am On Nov 29, 2011
Kay 17:

Ojukwu is just another African bloodsucker. Our leaders who are praising him are confused and misguided, and show the lack of direction in this country
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 11:20am On Nov 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

I believe that is why Uwazuruike talked about non-violence principle which he said was Ojukwu's idea. Now that he is dead, MASSOB is no longer beholden to anyone. The greatest mistake of jihadists would be to try something funny in the immediate future hoping to cash in on Ojukwu's absence. I believe that is when a new Ikemba would emerge.  cool
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by kasiem(m): 11:29am On Nov 29, 2011
anambra state university should be named after ojukwu
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Dede1(m): 11:32am On Nov 29, 2011
jason123:

. . .And why is that? You must be joking. It's only in Nigeria were such things happen, whether his fight was just or not, a secessionist cannot be a national hero not to talk of a multiethnic country like Nigeria. Why aren't "several places of massive importance" named after Okotie-eboh or Ken wiwa or Akintola, even Fajuyi?

I suggest you read up widely in order to stop committing blunders by comparing infinite jokers such as Okotie-eboh, Ken Saro-wiwa or Akintola with the caliber of a man such as Ojukwu. Must you be informed there is a marked difference between wars, even if it is a tug of war, and street demonstrations or seat tight?

In a country such as USA, the civil war personalities have been memorialized by naming federal and state roads after them. Even army barracks were named after some of the confederate generals.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Dede1(m): 11:38am On Nov 29, 2011
Onlytruth:

I wouldn't even be comfortable with any attempts to make Ojukwu a Nigerian hero. He was a BIAFRAN hero. cool
Ojukwu's monument should be somewhere in Enugu, Owerri, Umuahia( all past Biafran capital cities), or Nnewi(his home town). cool

The sentiment couldn’t have been better expressed than the above post, bros.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Ojiofor: 11:46am On Nov 29, 2011
Uwazuruike is a true apostle of Dim Ojukwu,every Igboman should.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by member479760: 12:12pm On Nov 29, 2011
BEAF na cow, old for nothing celebrating criminal.
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by normee(m): 12:39pm On Nov 29, 2011
it is really a big shame that people are trying to amke someone who brough untold hardship to the majority of nigerians in terms of loss of lives a hero? how do you justify the war? if you want a monument for ojukwu why not establish it in all the states while he was alive ( even now would be ok) saying pple should mourn for 7 days and not do about their business is just crap. ojukwu was not a nigerian hero, he was an igboland hero. as far as the bigger picture is concerned he was a disaster to the nation. embarassed
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by Torch1(m): 1:50pm On Nov 29, 2011
normee:

[s]it is really a big shame that people are trying to amke someone who brough untold hardship to the majority of nigerians in terms of loss of lives a hero? how do you justify the war? if you want a monument for ojukwu why not establish it in all the states while he was alive ( even now would be ok)[/s] saying pple should mourn for 7 days and not do about their business is just crap. ojukwu was not a nigerian hero, he was an igboland hero. [s]as far as the bigger picture is concerned he was a disaster to the nation.[/s] embarassed
Another eediot talking rubbish, do you know the history of Biafra civil war? Do you know about Aburi Accord of 1966? Ojukwu is our Hero and not Nigerians hero, we the Igbos are going to mourn him for seven days. We adore him so much, we aren't ignorant of what/who started the civil war.
R.I.P Ikemba(our hero)
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2011
I wouldnt care if nigerian government immortalize him or not but we the easterners must not only give him a burial beffiting of a general/head of state,but also immortalize Dim in every southeast state. . .As for Uwazuruike, he is an Igbo leader in the making!!
Re: South-East Governors Declare 7-day Mourning For Ojukwu by HighChief4(m): 2:19pm On Nov 29, 2011
Honestly, Ikemba's death will spur MASSOB and Uwazuruike has been on the low cos of the presence of Ikemba, but now that we have lost him, am sure they will take another dimenssion. Uwazuruike is a very fearless man

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

New Nigerian Flag Suggested / Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask / SE Has Shoot Themselves In The Foot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.